ADVERTISEMENT

Lindenwood Open

Wrassler17

All-American
Mar 20, 2017
Brackets are out and matches should start soon. Ethan Andersen was moved to the Black Division.

Gold Division (Open)
Hale, Elijah, 125
Gfeller, Kaden, 141
Lewallen, Boo, 149
Sheets, Wyatt, 157
Andrews, Blake, 285

Black Division (Fresh/Soph)
Taylor, Jet, 125
Solomon, Josh, 141
Dieringer, Tyler, 157
Harris, Austin, 184
Hughes, Bear, 184
Putnam, Cornelius, 285
Andersen, Ethan, 285

I wish I could have gone to this tourney,,,,wrestlers from Iowa, Iowa St, West Virginia, Ou, Misery, some really good wrestling is gonna take place. Go Pokes

Gfeller and Lewallen are in the semi's. Andrews still has his quarterfinals match to go. Sheets lost the round before. Gfeller may have some kind of shoulder problem but must not bad. He has not chosen bottom in either match I watched. In the quarters at the end he got taken down ( he really shifted down several gears the last 3 minutes of the match) and did not seem to try to get away. Sheets is not real good on his feet and unlike in high school he is not that good on top.

157 is going to be a problem for us until Boo comes back. I hope they give Moran a shot at 149 and bump Geo up to 157 if he is big enough to be competitive. Tristan has looked very good every match I have seen him wrestle but not sure if Geo can be competitive at 157 but our other options do not seem very good thus far.
Someone posted earlier that Sheets was going to be our answer at 157 but from what I have seen he has very little offense and is not the monster he was on top in high school. I like Jonce but honestly do not think he can help us at 157, but he may be our best option.

Gfeller and Lewallen are in the semi's. Andrews still has his quarterfinals match to go. Sheets lost the round before. Gfeller may have some kind of shoulder problem but must not bad. He has not chosen bottom in either match I watched. In the quarters at the end he got taken down ( he really shifted down several gears the last 3 minutes of the match) and did not seem to try to get away. Sheets is not real good on his feet and unlike in high school he is not that good on top.
Gfeller got beat fairly easily by Eirman of Missouri. Lewallen won and made the finals. Fairly close match against Missouri.

Only clue I have had is by listening to the public address lady on the Flo videos. Boo with a win in the finals over a really tall long wrestler from ISU. Gfeller with a pin for 3rd.

Reactions: JAY45
Someone posted earlier that Sheets was going to be our answer at 157 but from what I have seen he has very little offense and is not the monster he was on top in high school. .
I haven't seen Sheets wrestle since HS, but his scores from today were:
Champ. Round 1 - Wyatt Sheets (Oklahoma State) won by major decision over Nick McGhee (Maryville University) (Maj 13-2)
Champ. Round 2 - Johnny Mologousis (University of Illinois) won by decision over Wyatt Sheets (Oklahoma State) (Dec 3-2)
Cons. Round 2 - Wyatt Sheets (Oklahoma State) won by fall over Joshua Nidever (Hannibal-Lagrange University) (Fall 2:15)
Cons. Round 3 - Wyatt Sheets (Oklahoma State) won by tech fall over Hunter Jones (West Virgina University) (TF 16-0)
Cons. Round 4 - Wyatt Sheets (Oklahoma State) won by fall over Kaleb Warner (University of Central Missouri) (Fall 0:43)
Consolation 1st - Wyatt Sheets (Oklahoma State) won by tech fall over Kenny Boyd (Missouri Valley College) (TF 20-2)

2 pins, 2 TF, and a major seems a "little" offensive at least. Not the highest level competition, but at least something.

This looks like a pretty good result to me also;

• 3rd Place Match - Kaden Gfeller (Oklahoma State) won by fall over Kanen Storr (Iowa State University) (Fall 7:56)

Reactions: JAY45 and osu2082
I haven't seen Sheets wrestle since HS, but his scores from today were:
Champ. Round 1 - Wyatt Sheets (Oklahoma State) won by major decision over Nick McGhee (Maryville University) (Maj 13-2)
Champ. Round 2 - Johnny Mologousis (University of Illinois) won by decision over Wyatt Sheets (Oklahoma State) (Dec 3-2)
Cons. Round 2 - Wyatt Sheets (Oklahoma State) won by fall over Joshua Nidever (Hannibal-Lagrange University) (Fall 2:15)
Cons. Round 3 - Wyatt Sheets (Oklahoma State) won by tech fall over Hunter Jones (West Virgina University) (TF 16-0)
Cons. Round 4 - Wyatt Sheets (Oklahoma State) won by fall over Kaleb Warner (University of Central Missouri) (Fall 0:43)
Consolation 1st - Wyatt Sheets (Oklahoma State) won by tech fall over Kenny Boyd (Missouri Valley College) (TF 20-2)

2 pins, 2 TF, and a major seems a "little" offensive at least. Not the highest level competition, but at least something.
I liked what I saw from Wyatt last weekend. You can tell the staff is actively coaching him up, and he's getting better. I think he still has a lot of upside.

Reactions: osu2082
Just to wrap up the results on this one...

Gold Division (Open)
Hale, Elijah, 125 - finished 1st in consolations, lost his first match then won 3 straight
Gfeller, Kaden, 141 finished 3rd, pinned Kanen Storr in OT (wish I would have seen that match)
Lewallen, Boo, 149 - finished 1st
Sheets, Wyatt, 157 - finished 1st in consolations, lost his 2nd match then won 4 straight
Andrews, Blake, 285 - finished 3rd, lost in semis to eventual champ

Black Division (Fresh/Soph)
Taylor, Jet, 125 - finished 3rd
Solomon, Josh, 141 - DNP
Dieringer, Tyler, 157 - DNP
Harris, Austin, 184 - finished 3rd, lost to eventual champ Jacob Raschka in qtrs, beat Bear in consolations
Hughes, Bear, 184 - finished 5th
Putnam, Cornelius, 285 - DNP
Andersen, Ethan, 285 - finished 3rd, lost to Brian Andrews (Blake's younger brother) in qtrs on a last second takedown

Aside from Boo and Kaden, I only caught some heavyweight matches. Blake Andrews is big, doesn't look super impressive, but he had a couple nice wins against decent D1 competition. Would like see to what he looks like if he dropped about 20 pounds. Neil Putnam has that typical slow heavy style, but he's got some quickness when he decides to go, also has good balance. With some added strength I think he could be a nice surprise. Ethan Andersen is a mystery to me, he has good size and moves extremely well for a heavyweight. Looks like he should be very competitive, but the results have not been there so far.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT