ADVERTISEMENT

This Weekend Wrestling

John’s failure at HWT since White graduated is unacceptable. I know we have Carroll next year but it’s been a brutal ride
Zac got outhorsed and seemed to get out conditioned also at 125. Daton needed to be thinking bonus points, also Dustin should have been thinking bonus but solid wins by both. Very nice win for Carter and survived the mule kicks by Swidarski. Carter did not make any mistakes in a close match and I think Carter got the riding time point. Voinovich is a solid wrestler but will need to jump a level to All American. G makes matches tough with his not finishing a lot of takedowns or opportunities, but he did win. Sheets wrestled a smart, tough match against Carr. Stika held it to a decision boy I hope Wittlake is back soon. I hope Surber's shoulder is okay He is a level below real good 197's like Bastida. Haas is strong but he is not our HWT future. It is a shame that Haas went to HWT when Wittlake apparently injured. I would have liked to see Haas at 84 this weekend. Looks like some more losses might be headed our way with 2 tough duals Michigan and Missouri next week.

Reactions: bwel9339
So with Carrol coming in next year, does he start from day 1 at HWT?

So with Carrol coming in next year, does he start from day 1 at HWT?
Only if he can beat the current hwt. Take a look at how often a Fr hwt has success. Also look at avg pts scored for hwts finishing 5-8.

Where do we think Haas ends up next year? Fighting it out with Thompson for 184?

I'm well aware of how someone becomes a starter, you have to beat the guys ahead of him in the room. So maybe I should have been, do we think he his better than what we have in the room now?

I agree, it's rare that a FR can come in and dominate from day 1. It's also not like our Hwt group is full of AA candidates.

5cF.gif

Reactions: turfpoke
I've thought redshirt all the freshmen, and as you wrote redshirt Plott and Young. Next year we are not a challenger but the next year, possibly?
I've thought the same thing, load up and make a run the next year.

Nahshon Garrett was on Bader's show a few years back. He said during his junior year, he would wrestle 125 on Friday nights and then be 140-141 at practice on Mondays. So he was up 15 to 16 pounds in just 3 days and then had 4 days to get back down again. Every week. Said he did it for the team because it made the lineup better.

Also said the weight cut was so hard, he almost quit and didn't return for his senior year. Then the Cornell coaches told him he could go 133. He went undefeated and won NCAAs.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
Is there any word on the status of Wittlake? I assume its injury related, but maybe he was just sick with covid/flu or something. That caught me by surprise. He looked sharp last weekend and didn't appear to get dinged up.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
I was looking at Carter Young's record and everyone he has wrestled so far. He is currently 11-8 with 13 of those matches being against guys ranked in the top 33 at the time (intermat). He has 4 matches left until Big12's and will face 3 more guys ranked in the top 10 and 1 being unranked. His total matches will be 23 with 16 of those matches against ranked guys. That's a pretty heavy load he has consistently had to take on all season. I think what we are seeing now from him is a result of that. Pressure creates diamonds. Hopefully he's streak continues and he can grab a few more wins in these last 4 matches. 141 at the Big12 championships is no joke and going to be stacked with 8 of 13 guys ranked in the top 33.

I was looking at Carter Young's record and everyone he has wrestled so far. He is currently 11-8 with 13 of those matches being against guys ranked in the top 33 at the time (intermat). He has 4 matches left until Big12's and will face 3 more guys ranked in the top 10 and 1 being unranked. His total matches will be 23 with 16 of those matches against ranked guys. That's a pretty heavy load he has consistently had to take on all season. I think what we are seeing now from him is a result of that. Pressure creates diamonds. Hopefully he's streak continues and he can grab a few more wins in these last 4 matches. 141 at the Big12 championships is no joke and going to be stacked with 8 of 13 guys ranked in the top 33.
Good Call…This might be the most stacked weight class in the B12 with a pretty surefire Champ…

1 Andrew Alirez Northern Colorado Junior
2 Real Woods Iowa Junior
3 Cole Matthews Pittsburgh Junior
4 Ryan Jack NC State Sophomore
5 Brock Hardy Nebraska Sophomore
6 Beau Bartlett Penn State Sophomore
7 Mosha Schwartz Oklahoma Junior
8 Frankie Tal-Shahar Northwestern Sophomore
9 Cael Happel Northern Iowa Sophomore
10 Clay Carlson South Dakota State Junior

11 Tom Crook Virginia Tech Freshman
12 Lachlan McNeil North Carolina Freshman
13 Parker Filius Purdue Senior
14 Jake Bergeland Minnesota Senior
15 Carter Young Oklahoma State Sophomore
16 Allan Hart Missouri Senior

Zac got outhorsed and seemed to get out conditioned also at 125. Daton needed to be thinking bonus points, also Dustin should have been thinking bonus but solid wins by both. Very nice win for Carter and survived the mule kicks by Swidarski. Carter did not make any mistakes in a close match and I think Carter got the riding time point. Voinovich is a solid wrestler but will need to jump a level to All American. G makes matches tough with his not finishing a lot of takedowns or opportunities, but he did win. Sheets wrestled a smart, tough match against Carr. Stika held it to a decision boy I hope Wittlake is back soon. I hope Surber's shoulder is okay He is a level below real good 197's like Bastida. Haas is strong but he is not our HWT future. It is a shame that Haas went to HWT when Wittlake apparently injured. I would have liked to see Haas at 84 this weekend. Looks like some more losses might be headed our way with 2 tough duals Michigan and Missouri next week.
Surber was on the Bader show this week. He did pretty good. His biggest whoopin was the Gable match his biggest win was the Oklahoma match pin for the win.

Reactions: DPJ
I don't think you RS Surber next year. He has continued to develop throughout the season and is only getting better. This is his first year down at 197 and so it took him some time to adjust to the new weight but I think he's there now. I just don't think you halt that momentum just to save him for a year. There are a few duals left and then into Big12's and NCAA and if he disappoints then maybe you consider it. I don't think Haas is the better wrestler right now of the two, but next year if Haas wins the spot then of course that's a option to RS.

I don't think you RS Surber next year. He has continued to develop throughout the season and is only getting better. This is his first year down at 197 and so it took him some time to adjust to the new weight but I think he's there now. I just don't think you halt that momentum just to save him for a year. There are a few duals left and then into Big12's and NCAA and if he disappoints then maybe you consider it. I don't think Haas is the better wrestler right now of the two, but next year if Haas wins the spot then of course that's a option to RS.
I would be very surprised if Haas could beat Surber because Surber is quicker and more skilled. Strength might be the 1 area where Haas has the advantage. The coaches will decide but even though we are improving a bunch we won't be in the title run next year. There is a part of me that says redshirt everyone we can who is part of our future. Maybe even Daton can get an Olympic redshirt.

Reactions: oberebo
There's a lot of talk about redshirting guys in the middle of their careers. I don't recall that happening much if at all. Besides Daton and his olympic redshirt, who has taken a redshirt as say a junior?

There is a part of me that says redshirt everyone we can who is part of our future. Maybe even Daton can get an Olympic redshirt.
That's how I'm leaning. PSU redshirted Megaludis & Retherford along with true freshmen Nolf, Nickal & Nevills. And OU redshirted Howe, Rutt & Patterson along with true freshman Oliver Pierce (was a top 10 PFP recruit). Sometimes it works better than other times.

Reactions: Toadvine
There's a lot of talk about redshirting guys in the middle of their careers. I don't recall that happening much if at all. Besides Daton and his olympic redshirt, who has taken a redshirt as say a junior?
John Smith is one ( it worked good), and Joe Smith did also and that didn't work so good.

I would be very surprised if Haas could beat Surber because Surber is quicker and more skilled. Strength might be the 1 area where Haas has the advantage. The coaches will decide but even though we are improving a bunch we won't be in the title run next year. There is a part of me that says redshirt everyone we can who is part of our future. Maybe even Daton can get an Olympic redshirt.
IMO Haas could not unseat anyone in our lineup from 184 to 285.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT