ADVERTISEMENT

This Weekend Wrestling

It seems like there are logjams at several positions, and limited options at the rest. Kind of frusterating.

It seems like there are logjams at several positions, and limited options at the rest. Kind of frusterating.

Hard to project and we have had some bad luck. This is where we have to really utilize the portal which I know John doesn’t love but it can fill holes quickly.

Reactions: JAY45
Unbelievable that they have sat on their rear's all of these years, and watched our fall.
To beat a cheater you have to be willing to cheat bigger. That's a part of how Penn St jumped Iowa. There's a reason John was hired and I don't think he's forgot that. I'd rather get 2nd clean than cheat to get first. Now that said it does appear the NCAA is signaling this new NIL world is fine. But if it takes 6+ figures to get a #1 ranked wrestler (Woods) then its going to take big time money, sponsors, donors, etc.

Reactions: colcord
To beat a cheater you have to be willing to cheat bigger. That's a part of how Penn St jumped Iowa. There's a reason John was hired and I don't think he's forgot that. I'd rather get 2nd clean than cheat to get first. Now that said it does appear the NCAA is signaling this new NIL world is fine. But if it takes 6+ figures to get a #1 ranked wrestler (Woods) then its going to take big time money, sponsors, donors, etc.
Top 4 guy

RTCs aren't cheating as long as you aren't promising recruits $. If they were then we are cheaters too - Jordan Oliver, Alex Dieringer, Derek White, Eddie Klimari, Frank Perelli & others have all been with the CWC at some point over the past 10 years. And all left for someplace else.

There is no reason we haven't grown our RTC over the last decade. Actually, just one reason - stubbornness.

PSU is so far ahead of us In recruiting Hammers , strength and conditioning , RTC and Development that it’s sickening to watch. Hopefully OSU Ad and John wake up soon
They’re far ahead of everybody as far as I can tell. It’s not just an OSU problem. They’ve got the special sauce that everybody else wants. Haven’t watched them in a few years to be fair though.

Reactions: leecothran
Did I say they were or even mention RTCs?
0sudog said we are light years behind PSU. Harley said we sat on our butts while PSU jumped light years ahead. So how do you think PSU jumped so far ahead? Everyone knows it was because of their RTC. Rob Koll literally said it on a podcast.

Wrestling is pretty simple. Get the best possible recruits you can and then develop them the best you can. The first paradigm shift was the RTC - it helped accomplish both of those goals. While everyone chased after PSU, we sat on our hands. The new paradigm shift is NIL. Now you can get those elite recruits & transfers that way. Ohio St, Iowa & Michigan know it. And so does PSU. That's why they put David Taylor on the board of their Collective.

RTCs aren't cheating as long as you aren't promising recruits $.
I’m not even sure that’s a true statement in 2023. I see no reason an RTC working through a NIL collective can make financial commitments to recruits as part of the NIL structure. At least until the NCAA or courts say such a structure is impermissible.

I’m not even sure that’s a true statement in 2023. I see no reason an RTC working through a NIL collective can make financial commitments to recruits as part of the NIL structure. At least until the NCAA or courts say such a structure is impermissible.
I agree. I was referring to the past 10 years when we fell behind PSU.

SpartanRTC already has deals in place with some Cornell wrestlers. And Cliff Keen Wrestling Club has the same with some Michigan wrestlers.

Reactions: lawpoke87
I recorded the PSU vs. Mich dual and watched it last night. I really think a big reason for PSU success is the fact that if you are on the starting roster you are thrust into the spotlight out of the gate and have to learn how to wrestle and preform in big matches because every dual they wrestle has +5,000 in attendance. In other words they learn to wrestle and win under high pressure situations early on.

Literally just got a guy out of the portal that had offers from Ohio State, Michigan, and others.

Yea I know! Glad to see us utilizing it and hope to see more in the future! I really like the addition

Reactions: JAY45
Blankenship starting at 125 again. Welcome to the starting line up, two top 10 wrestlers. Right now he's giving up a ton of strength to Cardinale. He fought hard but just couldn't put up a strong enough defense. Good learning experience for Blankenship.

Lost 11-4 MD

Fix with the pin. Just a methodical performance and was only a matter of time before he end up catching him and getting some pack points. Once he got it locked up it was over.

Cowboys up 6-4 after two matches.

Fix with the pin. Just a methodical performance and was only a matter of time before he end up catching him and getting some pack points. Once he got it locked up it was over.

Cowboys up 6-4 after two matches.
Young wins 5 to 1 and did get an escape.

Thought Plott was a little sloppy early and gave up some points that normally he doesn't. However he still dominated that poor kid. Kudos to the other kid for competing. He shot his shots early and made it closer than it should be.

TW is one of my favorites to watch when healthy. Did someone say that he may go back to 165 next year?

Thought Plott was a little sloppy early and gave up some points that normally he doesn't. However he still dominated that poor kid. Kudos to the other kid for competing. He shot his shots early and made it closer than it should be.

TW is one of my favorites to watch when healthy. Did someone say that he may go back to 165 next year?
Most people think he will never touch 165 again. 174 likely his best weight but Plott is there. Plott does have a redshirt available if he wants to be in Stillwater for 6 years. Next year we will not be a contender again.

• Sad
Reactions: CowboyTanker
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT