ADVERTISEMENT

This Weekend Wrestling

Blankenship starting at 125 again. Welcome to the starting line up, two top 10 wrestlers. Right now he's giving up a ton of strength to Cardinale. He fought hard but just couldn't put up a strong enough defense. Good learning experience for Blankenship.

Lost 11-4 MD
Definitely looked small tonight.

Seth mentioned some rumors that TM has left the program or taking a break

Another sign John is resistant to change and is phoning it in like Gundy…..he is tucking in his outerwear. Today he tucked his vest in.
What sign? Mastro is having trouble making weight he can’t start at 133 it has nothing to do with John or the coaching staff.

What sign? Mastro is having trouble making weight he can’t start at 133 it has nothing to do with John or the coaching staff.
You guys have been belly aching about him for weeks and now the coaches made a change you want whine about it? There is some miserable people on this forum . They wrestled there best match of the year today you guys still can’t say anything positive.

He lost a lot of size and muscle in recovery from surgeries. A full offseason of weights will do him wonders.

He was one of the strongest pound for pound HS football players in 6A the past few years. Kid was a borderline power lifter. Size and strength won’t be an issue.
I'm not worried about his strength or his heart but my main concern with Zach in HS is the same concern now, his short stature. D1 wrestlers can counter his attacks and potential escape moves with leg grabs.
I have visited with Zach a couple of times and he has a good head on his shoulders and a great personality. I hope that he is a future NCAA champion but his size will always be a major concern.

Reactions: osu2082
I'm not worried about his strength or his heart but my main concern with Zach in HS is the same concern now, his short stature. D1 wrestlers can counter his attacks and potential escape moves with leg grabs.
I have visited with Zach a couple of times and he has a good head on his shoulders and a great personality. I hope that he is a future NCAA champion but his size will always be a major concern.

I agree. I will say one of his advantages is his strength and explosiveness. He doesn’t have that right now. Will it be enough to consistently overcome the length disadvantage he will face in many matchups? That will be the question.

So we know nothing on the status of Mastro? Announcers mentioned on Friday that he was possibly dealing with some health issues? But that came from J. Carl so who knows. I just figured they were throwing Blankenship out there to send a message and light a fire under TM. Regardless of how Mastro has looked this year he is still our best option at the weight moving forward this season. I guess Blankenship still has a lot of work ahead of him to recover from his shoulders so maybe I shouldn't expect much and the matches he had were against quality guys. Good experience for him but currently he's not at all ready to take that spot moving forward. John said in his presser after WV dual he would probably utilize all of his 5 matches so that sounded like he wasn't getting his RS pulled? Would love to know more on the situation.

So we know nothing on the status of Mastro? Announcers mentioned on Friday that he was possibly dealing with some health issues? But that came from J. Carl so who knows. I just figured they were throwing Blankenship out there to send a message and light a fire under TM. Regardless of how Mastro has looked this year he is still our best option at the weight moving forward this season. I guess Blankenship still has a lot of work ahead of him to recover from his shoulders so maybe I shouldn't expect much and the matches he had were against quality guys. Good experience for him but currently he's not at all ready to take that spot moving forward. John said in his presser after WV dual he would probably utilize all of his 5 matches so that sounded like he wasn't getting his RS pulled? Would love to know more on the situation.

They plan to keep Blankenship in RS as they are very high on his potential.

The word is Mastro needed some time off and the hope is that he is back in a week or so. If that doesn’t happen I bet they do something different at 125 to finish the season but who knows.

They plan to keep Blankenship in RS as they are very high on his potential.

The word is Mastro needed some time off and the hope is that he is back in a week or so. If that doesn’t happen I bet they do something different at 125 to finish the season but who knows.
I think the only other option would be have Reece pull down to 125 correct?

Reactions: Dugan2035
I think the only other option would be have Reece pull down to 125 correct?
Probably the most likely one. But 125 is a tough pull for Reece also. He wrestled 65 kg during freestyle season, I actually thought he might try to compete for the 141 spot this year.

Another option would be Cooper Birdwell, but he hasn't wrestled yet this season. And of course the big one - Daton drops - the Spencer vs Daton threads will it into existence.

Reactions: osu2082 and DPJ
Probably the most likely one. But 125 is a tough pull for Reece also. He wrestled 65 kg during freestyle season, I actually thought he might try to compete for the 141 spot this year.

Another option would be Cooper Birdwell, but he hasn't wrestled yet this season. And of course the big one - Daton drops - the Spencer vs Daton threads will it into existence.

Would be interesting to know if Reece weighed in this weekend and what he weighed in at.

Reactions: KILLEVIDENT
Its very interesting that coach Smith would let a starter with no apparent injuries just take some time off during what's about to be a very competitive stretch in the season.

It sounds like Birdwell has some sort of injury and shouldn’t be counted on.

Reactions: osu2082
Its very interesting that coach Smith would let a starter with no apparent injuries just take some time off during what's about to be a very competitive stretch in the season.
Maybe he's trying to be more in tune with the kids' needs. Hopefully Mastro can come back fresh and feeling good.

Reactions: PawhuskaPoke
I couldn't watch the WV dual live so I caught the replay last night. Think I saw Christian Carroll sitting near the team bench. Hopefully he's training in Stillwater.

Reactions: colcord and DPJ
I agree. I will say one of his advantages is his strength and explosiveness. He doesn’t have that right now. Will it be enough to consistently overcome the length disadvantage he will face in many matchups? That will be the question.
I dont think he wrestled freestyle or in any big tournaments nationally. way behind on wrestling elite wrestlers.

I dont think he wrestled freestyle or in any big tournaments nationally. way behind on wrestling elite wrestlers.

He was a key contributor on a nationally relevant state championship football team and took the preparation and season seriously which limited his wrestling opportunities.

I think you will see lots of improvements and development from him now that wrestling is his sole focus. He is about 10 months removed from his first shoulder surgery and 7-8 months removed from the second. He lost a bunch during that process. He will regain his strength, size and explosiveness this offseason.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him be our FT 125 next year (unless Daton drops).

Reactions: JAY45 and turfpoke
VV lost 3-1 to PJ. VV was turned at the start of the 2nd for 2 back points which was the difference in the mat. Had a couple of nice shots but couldn't finish. Good competition.

Reactions: KILLEVIDENT
KG with the 3-1 victory. Active match. So far this weekend I think we've wrestled pretty smart all weekend.

Sheets lost 5-3 to Carr. Solid match by Wyatt. Good weekend of wrestling from him.

8-8 through 6.

Reactions: PawhuskaPoke
Plott left a few team points out on the mat. Was never in any real danger of losing the match but didn't finish as well as John wanted.

Up 11-8.

Stika lost to Coleman. What a tough weekend for matches for Stika. #2 and #4. Stika competed well, didn't give up any bonus points.

11-11 with 2 matches left and ISU is favored in both.

John’s failure at HWT since White graduated is unacceptable. I know we have Carroll next year but it’s been a brutal ride

Haas is up to 230?

Needed to get a few upsets but just couldn't get it done. I thought most everyone wrestled well and put themselves in position to pull off an upset. Just couldn't finish on a few shots (VV, WS, LS). That's not a knock on any of them, they all wrestled smart.

Our guys have needed to do a better job of giving themselves a shot to win close matches. I thought today was a step in the right direction.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT