ADVERTISEMENT

Cliff Keen Las Vegas

Would've liked to see some more variety there by Plott with how that was defended (stalled)
Spratley lost 9 to 8 despite scoring 5 points in the last seconds of the match. Got rode the entire 2nd period and then gives up a reversal in the 3rd and rode until the last 15 seconds where he scrambled and got a reversal and 3 point near fall. He gave up the escape with a few seconds left and lost. Tanner Jordan of SDSU is solid but very disappointing match. Also Spratley looked very poor on the bottom, never came close to escaping in the second period and gave up a 4 point near fall. He deserved to lose.

Reactions: bwel9339
Spratley lost 9 to 8 despite scoring 5 points in the last seconds of the match. Got rode the entire 2nd period and then gives up a reversal in the 3rd and rode until the last 15 seconds where he scrambled and got a reversal and 3 point near fall. He gave up the escape with a few seconds left and lost. Tanner Jordan of SDSU is solid but very disappointing match. Also Spratley looked very poor on the bottom, never came close to escaping in the second period and gave up a 4 point near fall. He deserved to lose.
Witcraft won by decision over Arizona St.. Doucette won 5 to 1 with a takedown with a few seconds left against UNIA. Doucette got riding time and an escape also.

Last edited:
I hope Spratley gets another shot at Jordan on the backside.

I hope Spratley gets another shot at Jordan on the backside.
Jamison upset Navy with a good win 4 to 2 but Jordan Williams lost 4 to 1 to Lamer. Lamer is ranked 6th in the Nation. Jamison got a big takedown in the 2nd period. The Navy guy lost a close match at the All Star classic last week and is rated 10th at 141.

Meyer Shapiro is the real deal. He's out-funking the funky Andonian. Very entertaining.

Jamison upset Navy with a good win 4 to 2 but Jordan Williams lost 4 to 1 to Lamer. Lamer is ranked 6th in the Nation. Jamison got a big takedown in the 2nd period. The Navy guy lost a close match at the All Star classic last week and is rated 10th at 141.
Jamison looked to give up a takedown in the 3rd but Jamison had good defense especially a powerful whizzer. Jordan Williams had several chances to get a takedown in the first period and got a nice shot in with 10 seconds left in the match. Williams wrestled solid just needs to jump a level and he could be an All American.

Reactions: PawhuskaPoke
Jamison looked to give up a takedown in the 3rd but Jamison had good defense especially a powerful whizzer. Jordan Williams had several chances to get a takedown in the first period and got a nice shot in with 10 seconds left in the match. Williams wrestled solid just needs to jump a level and he could be an All American.
Manibog got beat soundly and is out of the tournament. Olejnik won by pin in the 1st period!

Manibog got beat soundly and is out of the tournament. Olejnik won by pin in the 1st period!
Very disappointing watching Thompson wrestle in the consolations getting soundly beat by an Ohio wrestler. Looked slow, weak, without much defense. In high school the best kids in the Country could not get a takedown on him his defense was so strong. His last match at 20 and under against Bennett he got teched quick was disappointing. A few weeks ago, I indicated our number 1 recruiting class didn't look so good and I can't change that opinion today. His 1st loss is not as bad as I thought because Norman beat Griffith in the next round.

Last edited:
Reactions: OAMC99
Hoping that Thompson's injury is still a issue, otherwise I have major concern with him right now. Spratley didn't wrestle well in either match. I thought he would come out guns blazing with a ton of energy but seemed a little flat. He is better than the SDSU kid and hopefully will turn it up on the backside. Izzik, Plott and Surber all look good Jaminson has wrestled above expectations and Williams had 3 matches in like 2 hours. He seemed gassed in that last one.

Very surprised Sprately lost to a Jordan from St Paris Ohio. I believe Tanner was only a one-time state champ at 113.

Very surprised Sprately lost to a Jordan from St Paris Ohio. I believe Tanner was only a one-time state champ at 113.
Spratley was behind 2 to 0 counting his opponents riding time with maybe 40 seconds left and Spratley got a scramble takedown and 4 point near fall for a 7 to 2 win. Spratley got rode for 2 minutes in the 2nd period again. I am not impressed with Spratley but he did beat Anderson of UNIA with a nice comeback.

Tanner Jordan just beat Patrick McKee a few days ago. He had back points and riding time in the match. And that was McKee on a 2 hour weigh-in with the new rules this season.

• Wow
Reactions: Toadvine
Spratley was behind 2 to 0 counting his opponents riding time with maybe 40 seconds left and Spratley got a scramble takedown and 4 point near fall for a 7 to 2 win. Spratley got rode for 2 minutes in the 2nd period again. I am not impressed with Spratley but he did beat Anderson of UNIA with a nice comeback.
Williams blew this match where he was twice as good as the Hoftra wrestler but Williams time after time found a way to lose the match 12 to 11. Unbelievable. Our freshmen could still be good but today has been very frustrating.

Williams blew this match where he was twice as good as the Hoftra wrestler but Williams time after time found a way to lose the match 12 to 11. Unbelievable. Our freshmen could still be good but today has been very frustrating.
Meanwhile the true freshman at Iowa, Arnold, is dominating everyone. Are any of our recruits going to be elite? We've had a lot of Top-10-20 recruits in the past 5ish years. Only Fix and Ferrari have been elite.

True Freshman that was 0-5 and has been tech'd twice and majored twice this year. Williams is certainly an enigma.

Meanwhile the true freshman at Iowa, Arnold, is dominating everyone. Are any of our recruits going to be elite? We've had a lot of Top-10-20 recruits in the past 5ish years. Only Fix and Ferrari have been elite.
Was coming here to post the EXACT same thing! Arnold is like a tree trunk.

Williams couldn't get off bottom and was out of control at times during the match. He has to learn to wrestle smarter. He had the lead with that last takedown with less than a min left. Very disappointing loss.

Reactions: OAMC99 and bwel9339
Williams couldn't get off bottom and was out of control at times during the match. He has to learn to wrestle smarter. He had the lead with that last takedown with less than a min left. Very disappointing loss.
He was a head 7 to 2 in the 2nd period and missed several opportunities to be a head by more and then gets himself in a throw situation( when you are not a strong wrestler) when they are in neutral and gets put on his back and so gives up a takedown and 3 or 4 back points and loses his riding time and rode out. He takes the lead in the 3rd period with a takedown and does his slick duck under but misses the leg and therefore his opponent turns around since Williams is past him for the takedown. Painful. But likely more painful for him, at the end of the match he looked devastated that he had blown this match.

Last edited:
I’m shocked that we have guys not performing well in a tournament. Shocked.

The quicker everyone realizes we are the UT of wrestling the easier it will be to handle the constant under performing by highly rated recruits.

Still plenty of time to prove me wrong and I sincerely hope they do.

6 guys in the quarters is about what I hoped for. Thompson didn’t seem healthy. Let’s see what Spratley does tonight, he could still redeem that earlier loss. But certainly disappointed in Williams results. This is a tough tournament but there are no excuses losing to unranked guys without a win. Really like what I saw out of Plott, Surber, Izzak and Jamison. They all look improved. Hell Doucet even looks better.

Witcraft has to be the high point and Manibog had to be the low point. I watched him and I thought he was the opponent and thought, this kid is not very good. Maybe he was sick

Reactions: driad
6 guys in the quarters is about what I hoped for. Thompson didn’t seem healthy. Let’s see what Spratley does tonight, he could still redeem that earlier loss. But certainly disappointed in Williams results. This is a tough tournament but there are no excuses losing to unranked guys without a win. Really like what I saw out of Plott, Surber, Izzak and Jamison. They all look improved. Hell Doucet even looks better.
From watching the match I am concerned with Surber's shoulder. I would not be surprised if he can't wrestle. he finished the last minute and some seconds and as I indicated in my post he seemed to be wrestling at 50%.

The score looks bad, but watching the match, he really looks like he has a bright future ahead. Great rhythm on his attacks.
Olejnik won easily by decision. Spratley was a head 4 to 2 with a few seconds left and got pancaked to his back and lost 5 to 4. Just frustrating when he could have had an upset win over Caleb Smith but lost in the last second of the match.

I didn’t see the match but Hardy is a very good wrestler.
Yes he is and so I was not upset with his loss. However Witcraft in a short period of time is out with 2 losses in a row. He got majored by Appalachian St. But at least he put more energy in this match but could not protect his legs which meant lots of take downs for his opponent.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT