ADVERTISEMENT

Cliff Keen Las Vegas

Olejnik won easily by decision. Spratley was a head 4 to 2 with a few seconds left and got pancaked to his back and lost 5 to 4. Just frustrating when he could have had an upset win over Caleb Smith but lost in the last second of the match.
Heartbreaker for Spratley but he did stop attacking after that first period takedown.

Reactions: Okie_Pat
Yes he is and so I was not upset with his loss. However Witcraft in a short period of time is out with 2 losses in a row. He got majored by Appalachian St. But at least he put more energy in this match but could not protect his legs which meant lots of take downs for his opponent. We are are the most pitiful 3rd period team in college wrestling. In the 3rd period Plott was a head 8 to 3 with 1 point riding time guaranteed and he gets too aggressive and gave up a takedown and then 3 back points. He took the lead with an escape and takedown. Plott was about to get another takedown and he got too aggressive again and gave Pinto another takedown and lost. Unbelievable. That last takedown Plott did not need but decided to wrestle out of control and paid the price.

Having a guy be confident and willing to take chances and wrestle hard no matter what the score is - that is the type of problem coaches wished they had with all their kids. That is easy to correct as compared with a guy who shuts down and goes into a shell when he gets a lead.

Jamison won a close decision because he gave up a takedown with seconds left in the match. Lemley let him go right away and Jamison just sat there and Lemley got on top right away but time was out. I don't understand why Jamison just sat there and just missed losing the match. Konnor got concussed and so he lost. Horrible tournament with bad luck and bad wrestling. We have 1 wrestler in the semi's.

Last edited:
Having a guy be confident and willing to take chances and wrestle hard no matter what the score is - that is the type of problem coaches wished they had with all their kids. That is easy to correct as compared with a guy who shuts down and goes into a shell when he gets a lead.
I agree but it is not good when you lose a match that you should have easily won.

This team has got to just wrestle smarter. Spratley, Jaminson, Williams and now Plott. Just stay in control of the match and don’t do anything stupid like rushing your offense with a lead and just stay focused. Maybe they’re getting the score confused with the new points system.

Honestly what a let down today was. I still have high hopes for a lot of this roster (~70% currently) but man this wasn’t how I expected today to go. Lots of time between now and March at least.

I remember the match and I remember Esposito his senior year at Nationals wrestling in the semi's, I think against Iowa. He has a 1 point lead with seconds left in the match Esposito wanted more separation that a 1 point win would be disappointing to him. Esposito later shared the Iowa wrestler knew he was going to shoot and so just before Zack shoots the Iowa kid jumps up in the air, twists around and lands right behind Zack for the takedown and the win. When Zack shared this story he had lots of regret because he knows he should be a 2 time National Champ and should have taken the 1 point win. I like aggression also but sometimes it is costly. There was no other way for the Iowa kid to win unless Zack had a heart attack in those last few seconds of the match.

Reactions: bwel9339 and JAY45
The three wrestlers who had this approach yesterday all lost. Although Spratley wasn’t trying to score he still shouldn’t have been tied up with that guy with less than 10 secs left. That was gut wrenching to watch. I’m sure he’s furious with himself for getting stuck.

This is a young team in a big time tournament early in the season. The important thing is that they learn from this and improve between now and March. I hope we keep this tourney on our schedule in the future.
If we learn from this tournament , make adjustments and improve a bunch then it is not a problem. We are very young but this major improvement needs to occur, or we are toast for another year.

They are going to have to figure out the official reviews bc the time it’s taking is ridiculous, just get rid of them.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
Jamison was dominant and got a major against Cornella of Cornell. Very nice win. Wrestles smart, takes good shots and is tough. I have been impressed with how he wrestles.
Olejnik won 6 to 4 with a last second take down over Amine of Michigan. He did not start shooting until near the end of the 3rd period. He got a leg and then got both legs from behind for the win. Great win.

Olejnik won 6 to 4 with a last second take down over Amine of Michigan. He did not start shooting until near the end of the 3rd period. He got a leg and then got both legs from behind for the win. Great win.
Plott took down Fisher and then put him on his back for the pin in the 1st period. Controlled, efficient aggression worked, great match.

Plott took down Fisher and then put him on his back for the pin in the 1st period. Controlled, efficient aggression worked, great match.
In Hays, Hughes won by pin, Heeg won by pin and tech, Smith won by tech, Blankenship won by pin, And Simpson win by pin twice. The 2nd pin with Simpson he was behind 4 to 1 got an escape got a hold of his opponent threw his opponent on his back for the pin with 15 seconds left in the match.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAY45
Also Wittlake got in the finals at 174 beating Wask of Navy with a last second escape when Wask and tied the match at the end with a takedown. Good for Wittlake. Looks like neither Doucette or Surber wrestled today.

Also Wittlake got in the finals at 174 beating Wask of Navy with a last second escape when Wask and tied the match at the end with a takedown. Good for Wittlake. Looks like neither Doucette or Surber wrestled today.
Tagen lost to McNeil 5 to 2 who was the number 1 seed. Tagen did win the 3rd period with a reversal and rode for a while before he let his opponent got but couldn't get the takedown to tie the match.

Sure would like to have Travis at 174 instead of Thompson.
Yes, Thompson concerned me this weekend more than anyone else. He did not appear to be half the wrestler he was in his junior year of high school. Like I said he hung with Marstellar and placed at Senior Nationals freestyle. I don't know what the problem is?

Last edited:
Yes, Thompson concerned me this weekend more than anyone else. He did not appear to be half the wrestler he was in his junior year of high school. Like I said he hung with Marstellar and placed at Senior Nationals freestyle. I don't know what the problem?
With Carroll we should be careful about him gaining weight because I am watching Feldman at Vegas getting soundly beat by Campbells HWT. He seems heavier, slower and less explosive as compared to high school where he wrestled and beat good college HWT's. Feldman ended up getting teched. But he did place at Vegas which is great for a freshman.

This is a young team in a big time tournament early in the season. The important thing is that they learn from this and improve between now and March. I hope we keep this tourney on our schedule in the future.
we will see if our coaching staff has improved because in the few years we have done very little with our highly rated recruits. I would love to see this change this year but it is really questionable if it will occur after watching this tournament.

Reactions: OAMC99
we will see if our coaching staff has improved because in the few years we have done very little with our highly rated recruits. I would love to see this change this year but it is really questionable if it will occur after watching this tournament.
The match of the tournament for us Jamison majoring Hardy! He has been a great surprise. Very tough and he dominated on his feet and had over a minute of riding time.

Thompson has horrible body language. Combine that with the rumors of off the mat stuff and I could see him being a one and done

Reactions: OAMC99
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT