ADVERTISEMENT

Cliff Keen Las Vegas

Solid weekend for the Cowboys, unfortunate injuries and a couple disappointing finishes, but saw some potential for sure! In the last couple years we heard criticism that John/staff wasn’t up with the times and taking advantage of the transfer portal. John mentioned in an interview that he woke up after the NCAAs last year, after this weekend have to feel pretty freaking good about our first batch of Transfer portal guys. Izzy’s a legit contender, Jamison and Spratley are in the AA hunt IMO, with Jamison a touch closer. Spratley had a couple bad moments, but he’s young and I think he’ll just get better! Question comes up with Alvarez, it would appear Jamison is the man for the job at 141, any thoughts of Alvarez bumping to 149? Rumors in past about weight issues at 141 at Rutgers, and Jordan Williams continues to be pretty inconsistent. What do you guys think? He would have a decent amount of time to put the weight on.

Also who would our backup 174 be currently? Sure would be nice to have Wittlake, any idea why he transferred? Did he not know Plott was going 184 or some other reason? Also what rumors of off-mat issues with Thompson? Just distracted or something happen?

Last edited:
Thompson has horrible body language. Combine that with the rumors of off the mat stuff and I could see him being a one and done
Well his backups are at Fort Hayes and one of them just inj. defaulted out of quarter
Solid weekend for the Cowboys, unfortunate injuries and a couple disappointing finishes, but saw some potential for sure! In the last couple years we heard criticism that John/staff wasn’t up with the times and taking advantage of the transfer portal. John mentioned in an interview that he woke up after the NCAAs last year, after this weekend have to feel pretty freaking good about our first batch of Transfer portal guys. Izzy’s a legit contender, Jamison and Spratley are in the AA hunt IMO, with Jamison a touch closer. Spratley had a couple bad moments, but he’s young and I think he’ll just get better! Question comes up with Alvarez, it would appear Jamison is the man for the job at 141, any thoughts of Alvarez bumping to 149? Rumors in past about weight issues at 141 at Rutgers, and Jordan Williams continues to be pretty inconsistent. What do you guys think? He would have a decent amount of time to put the weight on.

Also who would our backup 174 be currently? Sure would be nice to have Wittlake, any idea why he transferred? Did he not know Plott was going 184 or some other reason? Also what rumors of off-mat issues with Thompson? Just distracted or something happen?
Thompson is the guy at 174. His backups are Heeg and Skidgel. It appears Skidgel Inj. defaulted out of his match at fort hayes and Heeg MFF out of. his. Not sure what’s up there.

Let’s take an honest assessment post CKLV.

125: Disappointing Tournament, not as far along we would have hoped at this very early point in time. Still seems better than the previous situation due to energy & offensive potential. Long term doesn’t seem like a huge concern, the question is, how long is the ramp up period?
Question Mark right now.

133: Fine short term and long term
Positive right now.

141: Has to be a positive at this point, no?

149: Weird situation. You’ve got a Top 10 talent here that is struggling to find his footing. It seems like you’ve got to give him time to get it worked out based upon n his ceiling.
Question Mark right now.

157: Massive Question Mark. Desperately need a short term solution and hopefully Lockett as the long term solution.

165: Absolute Home Run in the short term. Need a long term solution. Hope to see more additions like this moving forward.
Massive Positive.

174: Another Massive Question Mark. Chris Perry has invested a ton in Thompson and is super high on him. Not off to a good start. The good news is, you’ve got a couple of capable prospects in Heeg & Robb who could help in the future if things don’t pan out, the problem is in the short term.

184: in the Positive Column. Still wondering where the ceiling is.

197: Positive, but concerning based on injury. Is Haas the guy and ready to go if this is a long term situation?

285: Situation remains the same: Quality Starter bridging to a potential Superstar.

So 6 Positives
1 not as Positive as we’d hoped at this point (125)
3 Question Marks 149/157/165)

Fair/Unfair?

Well his backups are at Fort Hayes and one of them just inj. defaulted out of quarter

Thompson is the guy at 174. His backups are Heeg and Skidgel. It appears Skidgel Inj. defaulted out of his match at fort hayes and Heeg MFF out of. his. Not sure what’s up there.
It should be Heeg, who has looked good early on. Wouldn’t mind seeing him get a shot if 174 doesn’t get sorted out.

Looked like Skidgel was concussed.

Didn't see what happened with Heeg. He looked fine in the matches I watched and was wrestling well.

Reactions: bwel9339
Let’s take an honest assessment post CKLV.

125: Disappointing Tournament, not as far along we would have hoped at this very early point in time. Still seems better than the previous situation due to energy & offensive potential. Long term doesn’t seem like a huge concern, the question is, how long is the ramp up period?
Question Mark right now.

133: Fine short term and long term
Positive right now.

141: Has to be a positive at this point, no?

149: Weird situation. You’ve got a Top 10 talent here that is struggling to find his footing. It seems like you’ve got to give him time to get it worked out based upon n his ceiling.
Question Mark right now.

157: Massive Question Mark. Desperately need a short term solution and hopefully Lockett as the long term solution.

165: Absolute Home Run in the short term. Need a long term solution. Hope to see more additions like this moving forward.
Massive Positive.

174: Another Massive Question Mark. Chris Perry has invested a ton in Thompson and is super high on him. Not off to a good start. The good news is, you’ve got a couple of capable prospects in Heeg & Robb who could help in the future if things don’t pan out, the problem is in the short term.

184: in the Positive Column. Still wondering where the ceiling is.

197: Positive, but concerning based on injury. Is Haas the guy and ready to go if this is a long term situation?

285: Situation remains the same: Quality Starter bridging to a potential Superstar.

So 6 Positives
1 not as Positive as we’d hoped at this point (125)
3 Question Marks 149/157/165)

Fair/Unfair?
I am not that disappointed in Spratley. He went 3-2 but had an 8-2 takedown advantage. His first loss came to a 4th year senior in a match where he could have gone to SV if not for understandably getting lost and confused in the chaotic scoring at the end. He had trouble on bottom but Tanner Jordan had over 14 minutes riding time in his 6 matches (really 5 because Ramos never went under him). Jordan didn’t give up an escape in the entire tournament. Spratley’s second loss was to a top 10 upperclassman on a junk throw at the buzzer that likely won’t happen again. Lesson learned. If they wrestled again, I would wager that Spratley would have got revenge against his Nebraska opponent just like Jamison and Plott did.

I am not that disappointed in Spratley. He went 3-2 but had an 8-2 takedown advantage. His first loss came to a 4th year senior in a match where he could have gone to SV if not for understandably getting lost and confused in the chaotic scoring at the end. He had trouble on bottom but Tanner Jordan had over 14 minutes riding time in his 6 matches (really 5 because Ramos never went under him). Jordan didn’t give up an escape in the entire tournament. Spratley’s second loss was to a top 10 upperclassman on a junk throw at the buzzer that likely won’t happen again. Lesson learned. If they wrestled again, I would wager that Spratley would have got revenge against his Nebraska opponent just like Jamison and Plott did.
I agree here, he didn’t lose to scrubs and also didn’t get blown out/dominated, lost in close matches to quality upperclassmen, it’s early in his first season as a starter. And for the most part he’s attacking and scoring points, he widened the gap and didn’t just sit on leads(outside of the 2nd loss). And I also agree, he will learn from the 2nd loss, aka getting thrown at the buzzer. Not sure which opens he wrestled last year or the quality, but I’d assume these were the toughest opponents he’s faced in college. Per John the kid has the right mindset and comes in with a smile and ready to work. I’m confident the staff will get him where he needs to go!

Looked like Skidgel was concussed.

Didn't see what happened with Heeg. He looked fine in the matches I watched and was wrestling well.
I was following and watching matches. Heeg looked fine and Skidgel was the aggressor and was looking to score when he appeared to be stunned and stumbled backwards onto his butt and kid scored his takedown than they stopped the match. Concussion for sure.

Reactions: JAY45
It should be Heeg, who has looked good early on. Wouldn’t mind seeing him get a shot if 174 doesn’t get sorted out.
Hughes looked very good at Hayes dominating until the finals against Alveraz. Alveraz won in the 2nd overtime by a couple of seconds of riding time. Cael Hughes was shooting over and over again but could not finish on maybe 10 shots and Alveraz did not get in on hardly any shots. But if Sakamoto is as good as John indicates and Jamison wrestling so great maybe there will not be a spot for Hughes. Although they could redshirt Sakamoto next year and Hughes could be at 133 next year. Maybe in 2 years Jamison and Williams could go up a weight class, which would be best for our lineup.

I was following and watching matches. Heeg looked fine and Skidgel was the aggressor and was looking to score when he appeared to be stunned and stumbled backwards onto his butt and kid scored his takedown than they stopped the match. Concussion for sure.
In the quarterfinals Heeg at the end of the 1st period took about a minute off after a scramble where both wrestlers hit the mat hard. That could have been where he got hurt but did finish the match.

I was following and watching matches. Heeg looked fine

In the quarterfinals Heeg at the end of the 1st period took about a minute off after a scramble where both wrestlers hit the mat hard. That could have been where he got hurt but did finish the match.

Looked like Heeg got the wind knocked out of him there. Chandler Rogers jogged over to check on him and then quickly left. Another thing I noticed was Heeg had a wrap on his right hand in the quarters that wasn't there previously.

BTW, Mower tech'd that same kid later on. He could be an option at 174. His length causes a lot of problems.

Hughes looked very good at Hayes dominating until the finals against Alveraz. Alveraz won in the 2nd overtime by a couple of seconds of riding time. Cael Hughes was shooting over and over again but could not finish on maybe 10 shots and Alveraz did not get in on hardly any shots. But if Sakamoto is as good as John indicates and Jamison wrestling so great maybe there will not be a spot for Hughes. Although they could redshirt Sakamoto next year and Hughes could be at 133 next year. Maybe in 2 years Jamison and Williams could go up a weight class, which would be best for our lineup.
Cael Hughes will be fine when his parents realize they’re not his coach and they make the call what weight he wrestles . More parent that think they know what’s best for their son.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
Cael Hughes will be fine when his parents realize they’re not his coach and they make the call what weight he wrestles . More parent that think they know what’s best for their son.
Not every kid wakes up and is ready to pull down 30-40lbs to wrestle.

Think Hughes would do very well at 141. He looked really good against Bloemhof & Alvarez - and that was just 2 weeks after making 133 for Lindenwood.

He's at least as big as Dean Heil. It wouldn't shock me to see him at 149 eventually. The frame is there to add good weight.

Hughes will be competitive next year no matter if its 133, 141 or even... 149. With the emergence of Jaminson and the recruit from Japan at 133 who Coach says is really good our 133 - 149 weights are going to be such a log jam with talent. Where are all the 157 and 165 lber's we need!?

Hughes will be competitive next year no matter if its 133, 141 or even... 149. With the emergence of Jaminson and the recruit from Japan at 133 who Coach says is really good our 133 - 149 weights are going to be such a log jam with talent. Where are all the 157 and 165 lber's we need!?
Agree with this! In summary:

Multiple Good Options at 133, 141, 149
No current Option at 157
No clear successor at 165
Multiple good Options at 174, 184, 197

I’ve been hesitant to post this…if Jamison has 141 nailed down, does Carter Young go up or down? If he goes up, does Jordan Williams go 157?

To highlight the logjam, not counting guys who won’t be here next year (in no particular order)…theoretically you could have:

133: Blankenship, Hughes, Sakamato, Young?

141; Jamison, Young, Hughes

149: Williams, Young, Travis, Hughes , Sheets

Last edited:
Agree with this! In summary:

Multiple Good Options at 133, 141, 149
No current Option at 157
No clear successor at 165
Multiple good Options at 174, 184, 197

I’ve been hesitant to post this…if Jamison has 141 nailed down, does Carter Young go up or down? If he goes up, does Jordan Williams go 157?

To highlight the logjam, not counting guys who won’t be here next year (in no particular order)…theoretically you could have:

Young is not ever makeing 133 he weighs 160

Reactions: bwel9339

Don't forget McComas said he might wrestle off with Witcraft for 133 next year 😀

Cael Hughes will be 133 next year
This makes sense to me because you can redshirt Sakamoto and Hughes would be a big favorite to take 133, with Jamison at 41 and then Williams at 149 if he starts focusing and wrestling smart and good. The next year some real good wrestlers will be on the bench. We do need to get a 57 and 65 next year maybe from the portal. Maybe we can get 1 more real good high school kid that is 57 or 65 but need a spot for Lockett. (probably wins a spot no matter who we bring in).

Don't know how much Cael Hughes is pulling, but a possible comp...

Dean Heil wrestled 132 as a HS senior and then 133 as a true freshman. By his RFr year the cut got tougher. During ranking matches he was pinned by GWH and lost by decision to Brian Crutchmer.

He told John he was thinking about transferring. John said stay and go 141. Turned out ok as we know.

Don't know how much Cael Hughes is pulling, but a possible comp...

Dean Heil wrestled 132 as a HS senior and then 133 as a true freshman. By his RFr year the cut got tougher. During ranking matches he was pinned by GWH and lost by decision to Brian Crutchmer.

He told John he was thinking about transferring. John said stay and go 141. Turned out ok as we know.
I believe Lindenwood was his 1st outing at 133 and don’t think he made it for ranking and he went 141 last weekend so i’m assuming it’s not easy.

Reactions: Wrassler17
and yet people always wonder why our guys don’t get better. Hard to improve when all ur worried about is cutting weight and what the scale says instead of getting better.
I think Hughes should wrestle 141 this year and can focus on getting better. Next year unless he can beat Jamison his only chance to start would be at 133. If it comes down to starting or not you likely cut to 133 next year and then go up the next year because we have Sakamoto at 133. He will need to beat Jamison which he could his sophomore year or maybe Jamison gets big enough in a couple of years to wrestle 149 and maybe Williams can lift weights and become a 157. Lots of possibilities in the next few years but this year's growth of our wrestlers will be vital. Also at Iron Man Lockett is wrestling 165 and is seeded 3rd behind Ferrari 1st, Sealy seeded 2nd and Henckel 4th. McComas is at 126 seeded 3rd with Lilledahl seeded 1st and Forrest 2nd. Iron Man should be a very good high school tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT