ADVERTISEMENT

The 2022-2023 Line-Up Prediction Thread...

JAY45

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 19, 2002
125: Trevor Mastrogiovanni, Jr. (3 Year Remaining)
Back-Up: Cooper Birdwell, RS Fr.
Future Contender: Zach Blankenship, Fr.

133: Daton Fix, RS Sr. (2 Years Remaining)
Back-Up: Reece Witcraft, RS Jr.

141: Carter Young, So. (3 Years Reaming/RS Available)
Back-Up: Teague Travis, RS Fr.
Future Contender: Cael Hughes, HS Sr.

149: Victor Voinovich, RS Fr. OR Travis Mastrogiovanni, RS Fr. OR Jordan Williams, Fr.
Back-Up: Daniel Manibog, RS Jr.

157: Travis Mastrogiovanni, RS Fr. OR Jordan Williams, Fr. OR Luke Mechler, RS Fr.
Back-Up: Chance McLane, RS Jr.

165: Wyatt Sheets, Gr.
Back-Up: Jalin Harper, RS Sr./Blake Skidgel, RS Fr.

174: Dustin Plott, Jr. (3 Years Remaining)
Back-Up: Gavin Stika, RS Sr./Trevor Dopps, RS Fr.

184: Kyle Haas, RS Fr. OR Travis Wittlake, RS Sr. (2 Years Remaining)
Back-Up: Gavin Stika, RS Sr.
Future Contender: Brayden Thompson, HS Sr.

197: Luke Surber, Jr. (3 Years Remaining) OR Kyle Haas, RS Fr.
Back-Up:
Future Contender: Jersey Robb, HS Sr.

285: Konner Doucet, RS So.
Back-Up:
Future Contender: Jimmy Mullen, HS Sr. :p

Last edited:

149: Victor Voinovich, RS Fr. OR Travis Mastrogiovanni, RS Fr. OR Jordan Williams, Fr.

157: Travis Mastrogiovanni, RS Fr. OR Jordan Williams, Fr. OR Luke Mechler, RS Fr. OR Anthony Ferrari, Fr.
Back-Up: Jalin Harper, RS Sr./Chance McLane, RS Jr.

165: Travis Wittlake, RS Sr. (2 Years Remaining)

Back-Up: Gavin Stika, RS Sr./Trevor Dopps, RS Fr./Cade Lindsey, RS Jr.

184: Kyle Haas, RS Fr.
Back-Up: Anthony Montalvo, RS Sr./Gavin Stika, RS Sr.

197: A.J. Ferrari, Jr. (3 Years Remaining)
Back-Up: Anthony Montalvo, RS Sr.

285: Luke Surber, Jr. (3 Years Remaining)
Back-Up: Konner Doucet, RS So.
Hopefully at least six will be returning AA.

Reactions: JAY45
125: Trevor Mastrogiovanni (So)
Backup: Cooper Birdwell

133: Daton Fix (RSJr)
Backup: Reece Witcraft

141: Carter Young (So)
Backup: Teague Travis

149: Victor Voinovich (RSFr) or Travis Mastrogiovanni
Backup: Travis Mastrogiovanni or Victor Voinovich

157: Anthony Ferrari (Fr)
Backup: Chance McClane

165: Travis Wittlake (RSJr)
Backup: Jalin Harper

174: Dustin Plott (So)
Backup: Trevor Dopps

184: Kyle Haas (RSFr)
Backup: Gavin Stika

197: AJ Ferrari (So)
Backup: Anthony Montalvo

HWT: Luke Surber (RSSo)
Backup: Konner Doucet

No inside info. Just my best guess.

I hope Anthony can hold 157 for a year but his future is 65 or maybe even 74. He is a good sized kid who is still growing.

He cut to get to 70kg this summer.

I hope Anthony can hold 157 for a year but his future is 65 or maybe even 74. He is a good sized kid who is still growing.

That would be great actually. Just curious though, is it based on a gut feeling or maybe some other insight? He reportedly wanted to go 152 for Stillwater this season, so I was hoping he would eventually become a good sized 157. If he's really a 165/174, that would be better lineup wise.

Looks great! I think Thompson is likely going to be Wittlake's replacement at 165. Otherwise think you nailed it.

That would be great actually. Just curious though, is it based on a gut feeling or maybe some other insight? He reportedly wanted to go 152 for Stillwater this season, so I was hoping he would eventually become a good sized 157. If he's really a 165/174, that would be better lineup wise.

Just know the cut to 70kg (and 152) is tough for him.

I agree on Anthony outgrowing 157. 2082, can Blankenship be a factor at 125 next year? I believe he has the physical maturity to claim that weight but I don’t know anything about his mental maturity and his drive although I would bet he ranks high in both.

I agree on Anthony outgrowing 157. 2082, can Blankenship be a factor at 125 next year? I believe he has the physical maturity to claim that weight but I don’t know anything about his mental maturity and his drive although I would bet he ranks high in both.

He is a tireless worker with a fantastic attitude. Mature and dedicated. He will be a leader in the room.

The big question is how long Mastro can stay at 125, if he can he is a legitimate AA caliber wrestler when healthy.

A RS year seems likely for Blankenship but if needed he checks a lot of the boxes of a guy who could go right away if needed.

Everything I've read about Blankenship is outstanding. On the mat, in the weight room, in the classroom - off the charts type stuff.

I think the upcoming freestyle season will give us a good indication where people are in terms of weight, both the college guys and recruits.

Everything I've read about Blankenship is outstanding. On the mat, in the weight room, in the classroom - off the charts type stuff.

I think the upcoming freestyle season will give us a good indication where people are in terms of weight, both the college guys and recruits.

Apparently he had offers from Princeton, Harvard, Stanford... wanted to be a Poke. Excited to see how he progresses when he gets here and focuses on wrestling. If he can get to 125 that will be even better! He can lift big boy weights for sure.

So we'll need to replace 149, 157 & 184 next season and the in-house options are listed above. And with 2023 being our best shot at a team title in years, you have to think the best guy goes, including true freshmen.

But what else is on the table? Any transfer targets for those weights - maybe Millner from AppSt @ 149? Others? You know PSU isn't going to sit still and OhioSt is reloading.

How about weight changes? If Daton wins a title this year, would he consider going 125 in preparation for the Olympics? You could go Daton, Young, Mastro/Travis at 125-141 with Trevor redshirting. Daton could wrestle an abbreviated season with Birdwell subbing. And Young reminds me of Seth Gross - good at 141, but a potential finalist at 133. How about AJ going heavyweight? Does he beat Parris/Kerkvliet/Cassioppi? Would Surber or Montalvo AA at 197.

Just throwing some things out for discussion...

So we'll need to replace 149, 157 & 184 next season and the in-house options are listed above. And with 2023 being our best shot at a team title in years, you have to think the best guy goes, including true freshmen.

But what else is on the table? Any transfer targets for those weights - maybe Millner from AppSt @ 149? Others? You know PSU isn't going to sit still and OhioSt is reloading.

How about weight changes? If Daton wins a title this year, would he consider going 125 in preparation for the Olympics? You could go Daton, Young, Mastro/Travis at 125-141 with Trevor redshirting. Daton could wrestle an abbreviated season with Birdwell subbing. And Young reminds me of Seth Gross - good at 141, but a potential finalist at 133. How about AJ going heavyweight? Does he beat Parris/Kerkvliet/Cassioppi? Would Surber or Montalvo AA at 197.

Just throwing some things out for discussion...
Interesting takes!

AJ at heavy would depend on what we think his point totals would be vs. 197 and replacement. IMO, Surber has a shot to do pretty well next year and beyond. We don't need him to win it, but we need him to AA.

In your scenario...
125 Fix - Finalist
133 Young - strong AA
141 - ?
149 - I think both guys provide a likely AA, but we haven't proven to just trot those out lately?
157 Ferrari - should be a strong AA
165 Witt - I still believe in the kid and say he can AA again.
174 Plott - same thing. He may jump levels and challenge the weight?
184 Montalvo - assuming he's progressed from 19-20 he's a likely candidate to AA
197 Ferrari - Finalist
HWY Surber - low AA if the bulk job goes well.

It may be best to wrestle mastro and vionivich at 41 and 49? I'm not sure if either fit one weight better than the other, but if either of those guys could get to 41 in a healthy manner, that could be fun?

Obviously, if it worked out that way, we would probably win it...of course I suck at betting, so this is just a wishlist.

Interesting takes!

AJ at heavy would depend on what we think his point totals would be vs. 197 and replacement. IMO, Surber has a shot to do pretty well next year and beyond. We don't need him to win it, but we need him to AA.

In your scenario...
125 Fix - Finalist
133 Young - strong AA
141 - ?
149 - I think both guys provide a likely AA, but we haven't proven to just trot those out lately?
157 Ferrari - should be a strong AA
165 Witt - I still believe in the kid and say he can AA again.
174 Plott - same thing. He may jump levels and challenge the weight?
184 Montalvo - assuming he's progressed from 19-20 he's a likely candidate to AA
197 Ferrari - Finalist
HWY Surber - low AA if the bulk job goes well.

It may be best to wrestle mastro and vionivich at 41 and 49? I'm not sure if either fit one weight better than the other, but if either of those guys could get to 41 in a healthy manner, that could be fun?

Obviously, if it worked out that way, we would probably win it...of course I suck at betting, so this is just a wishlist.
Why not leave mastro at 125 , fix at 133 and young at 41?

Why not leave mastro at 125 , fix at 133 and young at 41?

Obviously it depends on what Daton wants and can do first. If he wanted and can maintain 125 there is an argument that Young at 33 has a higher ceiling than Mastro at 25 or you let the two of them battle for 33.

Fun offseason stuff to cuss and discuss.

Obviously it depends on what Daton wants and can do first. If he wanted and can maintain 125 there is an argument that Young at 33 has a higher ceiling than Mastro at 25 or you let the two of them battle for 33.

Young will be trying to make a team at 65 kg so 141 would be better for him.

Reactions: TheJimReaper

I believe mastro can be a top 4 guy at 125 next year . Vito and Glory will probably be up at 133 so it will Lee and the field.

I just can't see AJ ever going heavyweight. He doesn't really have the frame for it, and he's so dominant at 197 that it just wouldn't replace the points, in my opinion.
Given Surber's improvement, it's especially silly. AJ is like 5'10" tops with a wide frame, he'd be the shortest HW in forever. I'm perfectly fine with NC's at 197.

I know Mastro never cut weight in HS and he topped out around 151. Also, he weighed 136 when he certified last August - Willie said he was recovering from Covid, but even so that's super light. He's like Jordan Williams, all his losses have happened when he wrestled up in weight. If he was able to make 141, I think he'd be a high AA. That said, I've got no inside knowledge, he could be up to 170 right now.

Hoping he sits out of international wrestling this summer and just focuses on hitting the weights and growing his body a little bit.

His full focus is going to be putting on good weight. Coaches think he could eventually grow to 49.

Given Surber's improvement, it's especially silly. AJ is like 5'10" tops with a wide frame, he'd be the shortest HW in forever. I'm perfectly fine with NC's at 197.
AJ is taller than Kyle Snyder. He probably doesn't bump up (was just for discussion), but height wouldn't be the issue.

157: Travis Mastrogiovanni, RS Fr. OR Jordan Williams, Fr. OR Luke Mechler, RS Fr. OR Anthony Ferrari, Fr.
Back-Up: Jalin Harper, RS Sr./Chance McLane, RS Jr.

165: Travis Wittlake, RS Sr. (2 Years Remaining)

Back-Up: Gavin Stika, RS Sr./Trevor Dopps, RS Fr./Cade Lindsey, RS Jr.

184: Kyle Haas, RS Fr.
Back-Up: Anthony Montalvo, RS Sr./Gavin Stika, RS Sr.

197: A.J. Ferrari, Jr. (3 Years Remaining)
Back-Up: Anthony Montalvo, RS Sr.

285: Luke Surber, Jr. (3 Years Remaining)
Back-Up: Konner Doucet, RS So.
Damn it Jay I was suppose to start this thread! But this is exactly what I was talking about. Hopefully everybody on my list that was required to participate has. Btw, can you brainiacs quit using Kg.’s us commoners don’t know that shit.

He is a tireless worker with a fantastic attitude. Mature and dedicated. He will be a leader in the room.

The big question is how long Mastro can stay at 125, if he can he is a legitimate AA caliber wrestler when healthy.

A RS year seems likely for Blankenship but if needed he checks a lot of the boxes of a guy who could go right away if needed.
I heard Blankenship HS football coach talk about him. He really went overboard on the great kid he is. He was a captain even though he didnt start on offense or defense. (Nothing to be ashamed about at Bixby)

Reactions: JAY45 and osu2082
125: Trevor Mastrogiovanni (So)
Backup: Cooper Birdwell

133: Daton Fix (RSJr)
Backup: Reece Witcraft

141: Carter Young (So)
Backup: Teague Travis

149: Victor Voinovich (RSFr) or Travis Mastrogiovanni
Backup: Travis Mastrogiovanni or Victor Voinovich

157: Anthony Ferrari (Fr)
Backup: Chance McClane

165: Travis Wittlake (RSJr)
Backup: Jalin Harper

174: Dustin Plott (So)
Backup: Trevor Dopps

184: Kyle Haas (RSFr)
Backup: Gavin Stika

197: AJ Ferrari (So)
Backup: Anthony Montalvo

HWT: Luke Surber (RSSo)
Backup: Konner Doucet

No inside info. Just my best guess.
125 Mastro Soph. with Blankenship Fr. the backup
133 Fix Jun. with Witcraft Jun. the backup
141 Young Soph. with Teague Travis the backup
149 Voinovich Fr. with Travis Mastro and Williams Fr. the backups
157 Anthony Ferrari Fr. with Travis Mastro and Williams Fr. the backups
165 Wittlake jun. with Jalin Harper the backup
174 Plott Soph. No real backup = This is where Thompson is such a big recruit because he could likely go 165 or 174 where we don't have much depth and there would be an opening after a redshirt year.
184 Haas redshirt fr. with Montalvo jun. backing him up.
197 Ferrari soph. with Montalvo backing him up.
HWT. Surber Soph. with Doucette Soph. being the backup.
Weights where the backup could take the starting spot 149, 157 and 184. Also Wrassler could be right about Travis Mastro if he could make 141 and be healthy could take that spot.
A young and potentially great lineup and I hope most our kids wrestle freestyle this spring and summer so we can see how good they are. When I say kids I am also talking about our verbal commitments and potential commitments down the road like Lockett 145. We have had these great recruits and so many have been injured and so have not been able to see them wrestle much in season and out of season.

Reactions: JAY45 and DPJ
Favorite / Challenger
125: Mastro / Blankenship
133: Daton / None
141: Young / Teague Travis
149: Williams / Voinovich
157: Ferrari / Mechler
165: Wittlake / None
174: Plott / Skidgel
184: Haas / Stika
197: Ferrari / None
285: Surber / Montalvo

For 125-141, I think Daton/Young/Travis Mastro would probably outscore Trevor Mastro/Daton/Young. But there's some risk with it, like Travis Mastro being injury prone. I also wouldn't be too upset if we landed a big time transfer. But the safe bet is above or one of the similar lineups posted by others.

Here's what we might need to outscore at Nationals to get #35...

PSU / Ohio St
125: Howard / Heinselman
133: RBY (or a transfer) / Bouzakis
141: Bartlett / Mendez
149: Van Ness / Sasso
157: Haines / Gallagher
165: Facundo / Kharchla
174: Starocci / Smith
184: Brooks / Romero
197: Dean / Hoffman
285: Kerkvliet / Feldman

Favorite / Challenger

For 125-141, I think Daton/Young/Travis Mastro would probably outscore Trevor Mastro/Daton/Young. But there's some risk with it, like Travis Mastro being injury prone. I also wouldn't be too upset if we landed a big time transfer. But the safe bet is above or one of the similar lineups posted by others.

PSU / Ohio St
Real tough competition. People on this forum get upset with my negativity and some think I'm against the Cowboys. I'm a big fan but I see the competition and I realize our performances are not good enough. Our young wrestlers need to jump levels which involves coaching, being healthy and working very hard on your craft. Hopefully we get some good luck next year and our competition gets some of the bad luck( like RBY leaves college to do MMA which he stated at the beginning of the year) we got this year.

Favorite / Challenger

PSU / Ohio St
Mastro/ Birdwell
Fix/ Blankenship
Teague will probably be up at 149 contending for a spot.
Montalvo will also be at either 184 or 197 in the two deep. Doucette as the heavy back up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT