ADVERTISEMENT

NO. 11 OKLAHOMA STATE VS. NO. 18 OKLAHOMA

Great question as Haas has jumped around quite a bit. The last two matches he's looked extremely slow to react on defense and let's guys get perfect shots on him.

Watching Williams reminds me of watching Gfeller. There are going to be times where he wows me and then there are going to be times that make you wonder if he understands how the points system works and how the clock can be your friend. I'm still buying his stock.

Great question as Haas has jumped around quite a bit. The last two matches he's looked extremely slow to react on defense and let's guys get perfect shots on him.

Watching Williams reminds me of watching Gfeller. There are going to be times where he wows me and then there are going to be times that make you wonder if he understands how the points system works and how the clock can be your friend. I'm still buying his stock.
Williams is a perfect example of a guy that could explode under the right coaching imo. Hopefully that’s exactly what happens

Last edited:
Williams is a perfect example of a guy that could explode under the right coaching imo
I don’t think it’s coaching at all, you’ve got some of the best minds in the sport in the room and other guys have made jumps with Coleman in the room. It is now a pattern, kill it in the first period get a takedown or two(y’all can say he doesn’t gas out, but from where I was, 5 rows away, he sure as hell looked gassed out.) And then he does everything he possibly can to blow the lead in the 2nd and mostly 3rd. What was he even trying to do? I’ve asked that many of times when watching him. First period he does stuff that makes you say “holy smokes”, 3rd period you say “what the hell”. Go look at last year, he’s been doing this, it has to be a gas tank issue. Also you have a minute remaining after his bonehead move, he escapes and goes to OT, he gave up. And to compare him to GFeller is disrespectful to GFeller at this point. Kids ceiling is unlimited but for some reason he can’t get it together, maybe that’s why I’m being a bit harsh but man it’s frustrating to see what he’s capable and what he continues to do. I think If you’re Sammy Alvarez you start gaining weight to go 149. Literally everyone else, LOVED their effort and performance today. Big win for Thompson, confidence is building. Doucet going to Doucet(OT) but he get W’s! Haas has had 2 very tough opponents this weekend… Reece is a champ for the team, love his loyalty and willingness to get after it. OU 141 looked like he wanted to hurt his wrist, he was smiling to the coaches during injury timeout and continued to mess with his wrist in weird ways the rest of the 2nd, way to tough it out Jamison! Great effort IMO, kudos to all.

Haas is a physical specimen that, I suspect, simply overpowered the opposition in HS. He faltered at the end of his HS career and never seems to have figured it out at a higher level.

Williams needs both strength and cardio conditioning. He has a lot of room for muscle while staying relatively light.

I don’t think it’s coaching at all, you’ve got some of the best minds in the sport in the room and other guys have made jumps with Coleman in the room. It is now a pattern, kill it in the first period get a takedown or two(y’all can say he doesn’t gas out, but from where I was, 5 rows away, he sure as hell looked gassed out.) And then he does everything he possibly can to blow the lead in the 2nd and mostly 3rd. What was he even trying to do? I’ve asked that many of times when watching him. First period he does stuff that makes you say “holy smokes”, 3rd period you say “what the hell”. Go look at last year, he’s been doing this, it has to be a gas tank issue. Also you have a minute remaining after his bonehead move, he escapes and goes to OT, he gave up. And to compare him to GFeller is disrespectful to GFeller at this point. Kids ceiling is unlimited but for some reason he can’t get it together, maybe that’s why I’m being a bit harsh but man it’s frustrating to see what he’s capable and what he continues to do. I think If you’re Sammy Alvarez you start gaining weight to go 149. Literally everyone else, LOVED their effort and performance today. Big win for Thompson, confidence is building. Doucet going to Doucet(OT) but he get W’s! Haas has had 2 very tough opponents this weekend… Reece is a champ for the team, love his loyalty and willingness to get after it. OU 141 looked like he wanted to hurt his wrist, he was smiling to the coaches during injury timeout and continued to mess with his wrist in weird ways the rest of the 2nd, way to tough it out Jamison! Great effort IMO, kudos to all.
My point wasn’t that they’ve failed. I have faith that they’ll get him there. I just think coaching can fix it. It may take a special kind of coach.

Haas is a physical specimen that, I suspect, simply overpowered the opposition in HS. He faltered at the end of his HS career and never seems to have figured it out at a higher level.

Williams needs both strength and cardio conditioning. He has a lot of room for muscle while staying relatively light.
I saw 0 takedown attempts by him the last 2 matches.

Reactions: OAMC99 and bwel9339

I remember the first few times I saw Haas wrestle here he seemed to lack wrestling instincts, balance, reaction time and moves. Sebastian is right in high school he mostly won on throws and strength. Some on this forum got angry about my assessment but it still seems true. 125 Spratley wrestled okay but he needs to start separating from competition where he is the better wrestler but he shuts down after getting the lead. He should have beat Caleb Smith in Vegas. Witcraft wrestled good and won with some ease. 141 Jamison I hope that he is not hurt bad but he did finish the match. Jordan Williams needs to listen to the Coaches and learn how to wrestle in college. He needs to realize most of the guys he wrestles in college are stronger than him and to stay out of muscle situations. Also no back flips, he could have ended up hurting himself horribly. He goes for the spectacular probably tied to his Ice man days. He should have finished the takedown where he had his opponents leg up high for 40 seconds but never put much energy into tripping or anything to get the takedown. Also when he got hurt he was in on the leg and seemed to let it go to easy( get tougher). Conditioning could be a problem as indicated by others. Travis got 2 solid wins this weekend but is likely not our future at 157. Olijnik is way better than I thought he was going to be. Thompson looked more like I remember during his high school days with solid defense, strong and he gets 1 or 2 takedowns. Plott looked great but wrestled a weak opponent. Doucette won against a solid opponent, but his style is not good for spectators. Cowboys are looking good but need to get healthy and keep improving especially Williams.

Last edited:
My point wasn’t that they’ve failed. I have faith that they’ll get him there. I just think coaching can fix it. It may take a special kind of coach.

I hope you're right man, just tough to see a kid with THAT much potential, continue to struggle year 2 and not seem to progress at all. Coleman said in his interview the other day, that he's a hard worker, makes you wonder why the gas tank appears to be an issue.

I remember the first few times I saw Haas wrestle here he seemed to lack wrestling instincts, balance, reaction time and moves. Sebastian is right in high school he mostly won on throws and strength. Some on this forum got angry about my assessment but it still seems true. 125 Spratley wrestled okay but he needs to start separating from competition where he is the better wrestler but he shuts down after getting the lead. He should have beat Caleb Smith in Vegas. Witcraft wrestled good and won with some ease. 141 Jamison I hope that he is not hurt bad but he did finish the match. Jordan Williams needs to listen to the Coaches and learn how to wrestle in college. He needs to realize most of the guys he wrestles in college are stronger than him and to stay out of muscle situations. Also no back flips, he could have ended up hurting himself horribly. He goes for the spectacular probably tied to his Ice man days. He should have finished the takedown where he had his opponents leg up high for 40 seconds but never put mush energy into tripping or anything to get the takedown. Also when he got hurt he was in on the leg and seemed to let it go to easy( get tougher). Conditioning could be a problem as indicated by others. Travis got 2 solid wins this weekend but is likely not our future at 157. Olijnik is way better than I thought he was going to be. Thompson looked more like I remember during his high school days with solid defense, strong and he gets 1 or 2 takedowns. Plott looked great but wrestled a weak opponent. Doucette won against a solid opponent, but his style is not good for spectators. Cowboys are looking good but need to get healthy and keep improving especially Williams.

Teague may not be the future, but he's by far the best we've got at 157 and is wrestling hard, with 2 ranked wins this weekend. He's the guy this year at 157 in my opinion, he's got time to gain some weight before March, he puts the effort in and I appreciate that! And I agree, no more back flips, when he hit the mat his facial expression told you he instantly regretted it.

Outside of 197 how many takedowns did OU have? Heck how many actual shots? 149 OU should have had a fleeing the mat a few times. McDougald had at least 3 times he kept jumping out of the circle while his ankle was up by his head.

The announcing was terrible by Spates. When we had the injury at 141 it was pretty clear an injury to Jamison’s elbow, and getting hyperextended. Spates kept saying he didn’t see anything except maybe a groin injury.

Teague may not be the future, but he's by far the best we've got at 157 and is wrestling hard, with 2 ranked wins this weekend. He's the guy this year at 157 in my opinion, he's got time to gain some weight before March, he puts the effort in and I appreciate that! And I agree, no more back flips, when he hit the mat his facial expression told you he instantly regretted it.
He may not be Mr. Right…but he’s Mr. Right Now 😊

Agreed on Williams. We need to be patient with him. His athletic ability and talent are impressive. He’s still very young.

Is this Sammy Alvarez’s last year of eligibility or does he have another with Covid year? What is everyone’s thoughts on what he does at semester? I can’t see him beating Jamison and even if he does, Jamison is past being able to redshirt. Would be unfortunate to have(if he can beat Jamison) two guys that good at the same weight. Curious what plans are for him as semester is quickly approaching?

Is this Sammy Alvarez’s last year of eligibility or does he have another with Covid year? What is everyone’s thoughts on what he does at semester? I can’t see him beating Jamison and even if he does, Jamison is past being able to redshirt. Would be unfortunate to have(if he can beat Jamison) two guys that good at the same weight. Curious what plans are for him as semester is quickly approaching?
2 years of eligibility including this year with a redshirt available.

Reactions: BigDogsGottaEat
Having two guys that good at one weight is a good problem to have. I think the staff is aware and will have them both in the line up if need be. Will be interesting to see how it plays out but it’s going to be fun seeing Alverez out there and doing it in orange. The kid is a sleeping giant right now.

2 years of eligibility including this year with a redshirt available.
Glad to hear that on the eligibility, and obvi a good problem to have, just curious what everyone’s thoughts were as to what happens in 3 weeks? Or if anyone had heard rumors on the plan, or rumors of whose winning the battle in the room right now? You say it’s going to be fun to see him out there, so you’re assuming he’s going to beat Jamison or Williams? That’s my question lol or are they going to take a page from Gundy’s book at beginning of this year and switch off 😂 kidding.
I don’t doubt he’s a really good, just curious what peoples thoughts were.

Glad to hear that on the eligibility, and obvi a good problem to have, just curious what everyone’s thoughts were as to what happens in 3 weeks? Or if anyone had heard rumors on the plan, or rumors of whose winning the battle in the room right now? You say it’s going to be fun to see him out there, so you’re assuming he’s going to beat Jamison or Williams? That’s my question lol or are they going to take a page from Gundy’s book at beginning of this year and switch off 😂 kidding.
He will be wrestling 141 for Wyoming. First semester ends this upcoming week accordingly to my daughter and she’s never wrong about anything academically haha … assuming Jamison won’t be healthy for a wrestle off any time soon. I don’t see a scenario alverez doesn’t man the weight until further notice. If Williams doesn’t change up his antics then there will be room for them both in the line up. One thing about john I’ve come to learn wrestle offs means virtually nothing. The product on match day is what he looks at. Love to hear opinions here.

He will be wrestling 141 for Wyoming. First semester ends this upcoming week accordingly to my daughter and she’s never wrong about anything academically haha … assuming Jamison won’t be healthy for a wrestle off any time soon. I don’t see a scenario alverez doesn’t man the weight until further notice. If Williams doesn’t change up his antics then there will be room for them both in the line up. One thing about john I’ve come to learn wrestle offs means virtually nothing. The product on match day is what he looks at. Love to hear opinions here.
Agree that’s why I asked, many better opinions here than my own lol. Appreciate your insight, and agree if Jamison is out it’s a no brainer. This week is definitely finals week, didn’t know how it worked with athletics, if he had to wait until second semester starts or just until first semester ends.

I kind of like that approach though, I think there’s something to being able to beat guys you know well and have confidence against in the room, vs new guys every week when it matters.

Reactions: RUHUNGRY2200
Agree that’s why I asked, many better opinions here than my own lol. Appreciate your insight, and agree if Jamison is out it’s a no brainer. This week is definitely finals week, didn’t know how it worked with athletics, if he had to wait until second semester starts or just until first semester ends.

I kind of like that approach though, I think there’s something to being able to beat guys you know well and have confidence against in the room, vs new guys every week when it matters.
If we made decisions on wrestle offs only chris Perry wouldn’t be a national champion. Fun fact !

He’s not wrestling a head of Jamison might go up in a month and challenge Williams

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT