ADVERTISEMENT

OK State vs. Wyoming

oberebo

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Oct 30, 2005
Shawnee,OK
125 Mastro vs.Jore Volk Volk is a freshman but made the U20 World FS team and is a 3X Minnesota St. champion and a Cadet National champion in both freestyle and Greco. 48th ranked wrestler in US last year. Mastro will win but by a regular decision 3-0 Cowboys
133 Daton Fix vs. either Garrett Ricks, 3X Utah St. champ and won the NJCAA championship at Western Wyoming in 2022 or Aidan Noonan RS/fr 10-6 in RS year won 3 Iowa State championships. Fix with TF. 9-0 Cowboys.
141 Carter Young vs. Chase Zollman RS/SR 73-27 career record and placed 5th at 2022 NCAA. Maybe a homer prediction but Young wins a close match. 12-0 Cowboys.
149 Victor Voinovich vs. ? Only 149 pounder on their roster is Ridge Briggs, RS/Fr. who was injured last year and had only 3 matches. He is a 3X Wyoming State Champ. I believe either Zollman or
Darren Green will move up to 149. Green is a junior with career 21-14 record and is a 2X Colorado state champion and started 6 matches last year. Voinovich with regular decision and Cowboys 15-0.
157 Mechler vs. Jacob Wright. Wright wins by decision Cowboys 15-3
165 Sheets Vs. Cole Moody Moody has 45-28 career record. Sheets by a decision 18-3 Cowboys
174 Dustin Plott vs. Hayden Hastings who has a 91-39 career record. Might be the match of the night but Plott wins by decision and Cowboys 21-3 Cowboys
184 Travis Witlake vs. Tyce Raddon who transferred to Wyoming after placing 3rd at 2022 NJCAA championsips or Quayin Short RS/Fr. who was 7-2 as a RS last year Witlake by dec and Cowboys
Team score 24-3.
197 Luke Surber vs. Steven Buchanan. Buchanan is 2X AA and has a 68-23 career record. Surber new to this weight and while I believe he will do well at 197 on paper Buchanan should win which would make the team score 24-6. Big match for Surber right off the bat and will go a long way in establishing his creds at this weight. He needs to have a good showing.
285 Doucet vs. Terren Swartz with a 24-19 career record. Doucet will win by regular decision and team score will be 27-6. Wright and Buchanan will be hard to defeat and Jore Volk is the real deal at 125 but experience with Mastro will be hard to overcome.

Reactions: JAY45
Volk is redshirting and Buchanan is injured.

Edit: I guess they're still TBD on Volk. Might throw him out against Mastro to see where he is with new rules.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAY45
The Viking Open is listed on OSU's Trackwrestling schedule for tomorrow. As mentioned above, if Jordan Williams & Zach Blankenship compete then they'll have to wrestle attached. It would then count as 1 of their 5 events.

No one is currently registered, but last year we registered late so we could still see some guys enter.

Reactions: DPJ
The Viking Open is listed on OSU's Trackwrestling schedule for tomorrow. As mentioned above, if Jordan Williams & Zach Blankenship compete then they'll have to wrestle attached. It would then count as 1 of their 5 events.

No one is currently registered, but last year we registered late so we could still see some guys enter.
Wasn't there a report that Williams was dinged up in the ranking match?

4-5 planning on going

Reactions: Wrassler17
Because Sheets is there? Is that meant to be snarky?
Huh? Only guy I recognized glancing at pic was Plott. Just wondered how many they took and who are extras & which weights. I'm betting see a couple extra guys for the Bucknell match.

Huh? Only guy I recognized glancing at pic was Plott. Just wondered how many they took and who are extras & which weights. I'm betting see a couple extra guys for the Bucknell match.
Well I see the same guys in that tweet as everyone else...Plott, Doucet, Surber, G, Sheets & Williams. So I wasn't sure what you were asking exactly.

Based on the pictures and DPJ's post, I guess the only confirmed extras right now are Mechler, Gfeller & Williams.

Well I see the same guys in that tweet as everyone else...Plott, Doucet, Surber, G, Sheets & Williams. So I wasn't sure what you were asking exactly.

Based on the pictures and DPJ's post, I guess the only confirmed extras right now are Mechler, Gfeller & Williams.
6-7 extras

Viking Open...
Travis
Manibog
McLane
Skidgel
Haas

Also some HS guys including...
Caviness
Giddens (149)

Reactions: DPJ
Rumor is Buchanan may transfer to Ou to be reunited with Teyon Ware. Anyone confirm this?

Rumor is Buchanan may transfer to Ou to be reunited with Teyon Ware. Anyone confirm this?

There was some talk in October on the OU board about a big time AA transfer happening. A couple of weeks later someone posted it may have fallen through.

This was about a week after Ware's hiring, so Buchanan makes sense.

There was some talk in October on the OU board about a big time AA transfer happening. A couple of weeks later someone posted it may have fallen through.

This was about a week after Ware's hiring, so Buchanan makes sense.
That’s would suck for Wyoming. I like to seen them be successful. Plus they already lost Tate Samuelson.

34-3 OSU Final

Surber got a fall at 197
34-3 OSU Final

Surber got a fall at 197
G won by solid decision, Wyatt won by solid decision, Dustin won by major, Wittlake had a solid decision along with Doucette with a closer but solid decision. Carter was sloppy on giving up the takedown in the first period that beat him. He let the Wyoming opponent Greenwood get into a throw situation Young recognized it was a mistake, bailed and was taken down. Carter was actually strong on the bottom but lost because he didn't get any takedowns. Yes he was close twice in the 3rd period but couldn't get control of the second leg at the edge twice. Greenwood isn't rated in the top 30 and so another very bad loss for Young

Mastro wins 2-0 against Jore Volk. Mastro didn’t take very many shots but he played good defense and rode Volk the entire 3rd period.

Also got out from bottom quickly.

3-0. OSU
Pretty sure Mastro didn’t take any shots but gutted it out for a win despite. Kid really knows how to keep them close.

Carter just hasn’t looked good in any of the 3 matches so far. Hope he turns a corner with so much hype. He probably needs to redshirt next year.

Everyone else looked sharp.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheJimReaper
Sheets looks like he is in phenomenal shape.
Wittlake looks like he has a lot more energy than recent seasons.
Outside of Carter, solid night across the board with lots of headhunting in several matches.
I didn’t realize that was Volk against Mastro. Makes me feel better about that match. I keep waiting for this offensive explosion from Mastro.
Good to see guys continue to work for bonus points.

Sheets looks like he is in phenomenal shape.
Wittlake looks like he has a lot more energy than recent seasons.
Outside of Carter, solid night across the board with lots of headhunting in several matches.
I didn’t realize that was Volk against Mastro. Makes me feel better about that match. I keep waiting for this offensive explosion from Mastro.
Good to see guys continue to work for bonus points.
Impressions on the match. Overall a solid B in my books. We led in Takedownbs 13-1 with their one TD in the Carter match.Carter was the aggressor but could not get a takedown despite several close shots in the 3rd period but both too close to the edge. We had two falls from Fix and Surber and one major from Plott. Mastro with no takedowns but solid ride and escape gave him the win against a very good freshman. Fix had his way with his opponent with two takedowns, a 4 point near fall and then a pin in 1:30.
Voinovich had a quick escape, a takedown, a 2 pt near fall and a dominant ride out for a 6-0 win.G gave up a TD in 1st period but but had a reverse and a near fall in 2nd period and a strong ride in the 3rd to win 6-3. Witlake had 3 takedowns in his match to win 6-3 and looked strong. Surber got a first period takedown and then with a turk ride turned him over for the fall in the first. Doucet
had a reverse, near-fall and riding time against 2 escapes for a 5-2 win and a 34-3 match score.We looked to be in better shape and the one disappointment was Carter who gave up his leg too easily on a counter by his opponent and then chased him all over the mat but could not quite finish. As Harley indicated the opponent was not ranked but had a 5-0 record going into the match.Carter started too late and could not get the TD after several very close calls on the edge. He has the ability to dominate his opponent and this is not happening.My prediction was off at the start of the thread as I gave 197 to Buchanan who did not wrestle so we only had one loss.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT