ADVERTISEMENT

OK State vs Mizzou

That match was not close you will see in the state finals
Also bad with how much money we will have tied up at HWT and we don't have our future 197 unless it is Robb. I think Robb would be better at 184. Also today you listed both Carroll and Merrill as keys in 2 years possibly catching Penn. St. Is Merrill a 197 or HWT?

Reactions: AtownPoke
I’ve watched these matches a couple of times and there’s a few takeaways I have:
- I absolutely love spratley. His attitude and toughness and his recklessness. He will lose some but he will win more
- Williams and Thompson are finally starting to believe, especially Thompson
- Travis got the opportunity and is making the most out of it.
- we are not just a good duel team, we are becoming a good team (we will be better and more consistent by March than we are right at this moment)
- this team has a great chance to be a podium team this year
- Dustin Plot is our most likely person to win a championship this year. He’s got that look.
- fix and Olejnik need to learn to take a page out of Spratley’s notebook and wrestle without fear, especially Fix. There would be nobody in the world that could beat him, and I really do mean that, America or Russia. He’s his own worst enemy.
- we are going to be a really good team for years to come
- cowboy nation needs to be patient

It was announced at the dual that they set an attendance record. Tough look to bring in 6400 fans to see 3 takedowns for the home team, 2 of which were against a backup.
The Mizzou fans were a mouthy bunch, but they lost a lot of steam going into halftime with zero takedowns.

Just remember, if your horse is good, you’re jockey is good if your horse is shitty, your jockey is shitty
You don’t really believe this stuff. It all comes down to you making excuses for any kind of step back while also trying to keep any sort of accolades aimed squarely at John alone. You can’t have it both ways and it’s unnecessary. We’re wrestling great and something has changed other than recruiting #1’s. If it’s partially to do with Coleman than that’s great and it’s just another feather in John’s hat for bringing him back.

John is an all time favorite for 99% of this board. Not a single one of us liked seeing him and the program struggle. It’s okay to be honest about things though.

You’re way too defensive and absolute. Just join in the convo and quit acting like it’s so cut and dry (especially with things that have yet to play out)

You don’t really believe this stuff. It all comes down to you making excuses for any kind of step back while also trying to keep any sort of accolades aimed squarely at John alone. You can’t have it both ways and it’s unnecessary. We’re wrestling great and something has changed other than recruiting #1’s. If it’s partially to do with Coleman than that’s great and it’s just another feather in John’s hat for bringing him back.

John is an all time favorite for 99% of this board. Not a single one of us liked seeing him and the program struggle. It’s okay to be honest about things though.

You’re way too defensive and absolute. Just join in the convo and quit acting like it’s so cut and dry (especially with things that have yet to play out)
Do like Elsa says and let it go (I have too many girls in my house). We’re winning and on the right track. To quote another great, “don’t worry, about a thing, because every little thing, is going to be alright.”😉

Did we recruit Jameson and Spradley out of high school or did they develop late?

Rex continues to eat the mic and snort around into the mic.Worse than listening to Robert Allen at a restaurant remote.
No you recruited them while they were at Minnesota 🤣🤣

Reactions: tom_v31

Meanwhile people are trying to pry information out of Blair every single thread, overanalyzing his responses, rarely saying thank you, and then being salty when he isn't an open book. I'd be messing with y'all too lol

Anyways. Couldn't watch live but also couldn't help but peep the Cowboy instagram. Man, we look like a bunch of bruisers out there. Tiring out opponents, using a variety of techniques. It's so awesome to see! And interesting knowing some more about Thompson, I've watched the last few of his matches with a different perspective. The guy is like a gymnast out there, it's really impressive.

Missouri did have some head scratchers. No backup at 133, sent out a backup at 149, at 125 they threw their brick and their guy got two stall calls within the first two minutes, Mauller took basically zero shots. And also the refs... my goodness. What are they doing out there? I've never felt more consistently confused than this season about stall calls, stalemate calls, when they award takedowns/escapes, and edge of mat violations.

Do like Elsa says and let it go (I have too many girls in my house). We’re winning and on the right track. To quote another great, “don’t worry, about a thing, because every little thing, is going to be alright.”😉
I kind of thought that was what I was saying. I’m pumped!!

It just seems to me that a lot of his posts are meant to cut the legs out of everyone’s excitement.

Merrill needs to go 197. If he's 5'9 like Blair had said on another post he'd be the shortest damn heavyweight in D1. 197 is what he was recruited for and where he needs to go. Carroll isnt exactly tall but he reminds me of Ty Waltz from Edinboro I think it was? But can move better. IMO anything outside of this scenario and then literally having 3 heavies is asinine and piss poor planning. Let Merrill RS behind Luke and get the weight off and have Carroll and Doucet switch off through the season like we've seen at 49 til we find the best guy. This isnt rocket science.

Merill will be at 197, he is wrestling up because of his brother. Carroll will beat Doucet next year IMO. And everyone complaining about Doucet, just appreciate the fact that 2 years ago we had nothing but a undersized 197 and have turned nothing into something at HWT. I don't think the expectation was ever for Doucet to AA, but now its not out of the realm of possibilities. He isn't going to blow you away but he's beating guys he needs to be beating and more importantly winning most of his matches.

Doucet is close to any heavyweight. Not exciting to watch, but he has learned to ride better and is tough to takedown. He is very capable of pulling off some upsets and getting an AA. He is not a heavy to overlook. Christian Carroll is a takedown machine. He is incredibly hard working and will get it done.

Anyways. Couldn't watch live but also couldn't help but peep the Cowboy instagram. Man, we look like a bunch of bruisers out there. Tiring out opponents, using a variety of techniques. It's so awesome to see! And interesting knowing some more about Thompson, I've watched the last few of his matches with a different perspective. The guy is like a gymnast out there, it's really impressive.

Missouri did have some head scratchers. No backup at 133, sent out a backup at 149, at 125 they threw their brick and their guy got two stall calls within the first two minutes, Mauller took basically zero shots. And also the refs... my goodness. What are they doing out there? I've never felt more consistently confused than this season about stall calls, stalemate calls, when they award takedowns/escapes, and edge of mat violations.
💯

Reactions: AtownPoke
Disclaimer...this is for discussion purposes only (before I get jumped!)...

Is it possible Merrill goes heavy & Carroll goes 197?

- Carroll is 5'10" and Merrill is 5'9"
- Carroll is currently 224, down 25+ lbs from earlier in the season
- When Carroll first committed there was an article on Rokfin where he told one of Willie's guys that 197 was the current plan
- Merrill is currently 245+
- There was a Gilroy article a few weeks ago -- DC took the team to LA for a tourney. Merrill was quoted as saying he's a heavyweight who likes to eat and the Cajun food was great.

To be successful, Merrill would likely have to be no more than 235 and in great shape (work with Gary C). The heavy he beat in the Doc B finals was an agile 275 guy, but Merrill was much quicker.

Reactions: tom_v31 and driad

- When Carroll first committed there was an article on Rokfin where he told one of Willie's guys that 197 was the current plan
- There was a Gilroy article a few weeks ago -- DC took the team to LA for a tourney. Merrill was quoted as saying he's a heavyweight who likes to eat and the Cajun food was great.

To be successful, Merrill would likely have to be no more than 235 and in great shape (work with Gary C). The heavy he beat in the Doc B finals was an agile 275 guy, but Merrill was much quicker.
Carroll seems to carry his weight so much better. This situation is honestly hard for me to wrap my head around. When were trying to catch psu and we have a guy (Merrill) that soundly beat one of their top recruits this last year you get excited about what that means and how he will fill a spot that will be vacant when Luke is done. Now we're looking at a 5'9 heavy with a belly that would make a sumo wrestler jealous and loves cajun food. Although I cant blame him on the last one. Its definitely going to be interesting watching this play out.

My dream scenario is that in practice every week Doucet is mastering a slick ankle pick but he doesn't break it out until nationals and shocks the world.
HWT slick ankle pic ... when has that happened?

It was announced at the dual that they set an attendance record. Tough look to bring in 6400 fans to see 3 takedowns for the home team, 2 of which were against a backup.
The Mizzou fans were a mouthy bunch, but they lost a lot of steam going into halftime with zero takedowns.
Just like they used to be in football.

Well that lines up with what Blair has said without seemingly throwing CC out with the bath water.

That match was not close you will see in the state finals
And Carroll was just a swing and a miss

Yes

Carroll seems to carry his weight so much better. This situation is honestly hard for me to wrap my head around. When were trying to catch psu and we have a guy (Merrill) that soundly beat one of their top recruits this last year you get excited about what that means and how he will fill a spot that will be vacant when Luke is done. Now we're looking at a 5'9 heavy with a belly that would make a sumo wrestler jealous and loves cajun food. Although I cant blame him on the last one. It’s definitely going to be interesting watching this play out.
When he kicks ass you won’t care what he looks like

When he kicks ass you won’t care what he looks like
He has to do it first? Not a big heavyweight guy, anyone else ever seen a dominant 5’9 D1 heavyweight? Feldman is not tall but I think he’s taller than 5’9? When you look at the bumper crop of heavies that have come thru the last few years with several world medalists, none are that short. I suppose there’s a first time for everything. Why the change? Cajun food just to big an issue so 197 is out? He was absolutely recruited as a 97 by the way.

Now Carroll will be the guy to cut 45 lbs. Merrill was telling teams he was a 197 during recruiting. Didn't Carroll say he didn't want to be at a place where he would be recruited over.

Reactions: JAY45
Do folks think the coaches really didn't know what they were doing? ;_;
I was told by one of the coaches months ago that Merrill is a 97. Now some seem to think this isn’t the case. Maybe they didn’t realize his affection for Cajun food? In the end Merrill probably RSs anyway so everything we’re discussing is most likely a year and an half away before it all comes to a head.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT