ADVERTISEMENT

OK State vs. AZ State

Top to bottom good performance.
-Spratley embarrassed the 2021 #1 recruit who walked out, bowed-up, and mean mugged him before intros.
-Fix had a slow match with a veteran former high recruit out of PA (3X state champ and U23 World Team Member).
-Jamison and his rubber knees (I feel phantom pain when he wrestles) majored as should have.
-Williams was a flying squirrel away from beating a 3X all-American. In my 25+ years as a season ticket holder, I have never seen John Smith coach a wrestler harder in match than he did with Williams tonight. Parco is a savvy pro by this point and that was the difference. A lot of respect for him. He is good!
-Travis is tough. Teemer is a 6th year senior, 3X all-American and was a top recruit in the country (#1 at 126 his Sr year). Shouldn’t have been close yet it was.
-Olejnik was the closest thing to a disappointing match with a 5-0 win. He should probably always win that match with bonus and had a chance if he had just pulled McClane back all the way to center in the last 15 seconds. Impatience, fatigue, laziness, whatever, he gave McClane room to scramble off the edge.
-Brayden Thompson didn’t have the best competition but he was so good in the scrambles. He scores off others shots that I don’t see coming. He will add more initiated offense in time.
-Plott was good at 174 but is much better at 184. He is becoming what we expected of him when he signed (Brayden Thompson similarities?)
-Surber is even tougher than Travis. He makes average wrestlers look awful. He just hasn’t found a way to make good wrestlers look average yet. I don’t doubt he will keep trying.
-Doucet is tough too but he was probably the farthest from winning tonight. He would have a tough time ever scoring on Schultz as most D1 wrestlers do.

Top to bottom good performance.
-Spratley embarrassed the 2021 #1 recruit who walked out, bowed-up, and mean mugged him before intros.
-Fix had a slow match with a veteran former high recruit out of PA (3X state champ and U23 World Team Member).
-Jamison and his rubber knees (I feel phantom pain when he wrestles) majored as should have.
-Williams was a flying squirrel away from beating a 3X all-American. In my 25+ years as a season ticket holder, I have never seen John Smith coach a wrestler harder in match than he did with Williams tonight. Parco is a savvy pro by this point and that was the difference. A lot of respect for him. He is good!
-Travis is tough. Teemer is a 6th year senior, 3X all-American and was a top recruit in the country (#1 at 126 his Sr year). Shouldn’t have been close yet it was.
-Olejnik was the closest thing to a disappointing match with a 5-0 win. He should probably always win that match with bonus and had a chance if he had just pulled McClane back all the way to center in the last 15 seconds. Impatience, fatigue, laziness, whatever, he gave McClane room to scramble off the edge.
-Brayden Thompson didn’t have the best competition but he was so good in the scrambles. He scores off others shots that I don’t see coming. He will add more initiated offense in time.
-Plott was good at 174 but is much better at 184. He is becoming what we expected of him when he signed (Brayden Thompson similarities?)
-Surber is even tougher than Travis. He makes average wrestlers look awful. He just hasn’t found a way to make good wrestlers look average yet. I don’t doubt he will keep trying.
-Doucet is tough too but he was probably the farthest from winning tonight. He would have a tough time ever scoring on Schultz as most D1 wrestlers do.
Round of applause. Nice recap. I wish Fix would be more consistently dominant. It seems sometimes he goes on autopilot when his opponent is not much of a challenge. Also, Olejnik seems to wait for that perfect opportunity and if his opponent is only defending, those opportunities are difficult to come by (don’t mean to focus on slight negativity though). Really Good win by the team. I love the effort, even in the losses. I mean, Williams looked great, as well as Travis. The cherry on top is that Iowa lost.🎉🎉🎉🥳🥳

Last edited:
I thought it was a great win especially if you consider that 2 of our 3 stars wrestled rather poorly. Plott looks like he is on a mission!
I was not at the match due to 2nd bout with Covid. I watched on ESPN+.
I was not disappointed in any of our wrestlers win or lose as they all performed admirably. Spratley started us off with a major against a very good wrestler and I hope this is a start to a great 2nd half of the season.
Chlebove had almost all of the answers to fix but a truly great wrestler wins on a rare off day. Jamison wins big and is cementing his potential AA status as a freshman. Williams wrestle hard and never gave up ad showed flashes
of the athletic ability we all knew he had. Travis was at a huge disadvantage size wise against Teemer band gave his usual gutty, gritty performance.
Olejnik was in full control of his match against a former Cowboy who showed he was not intimidated and prevented bonus points. Thompson, Plott and Surber were DOMINANT Doucet and Schultz ,billed as the highlight match of the night failed to display any highlights and in the end the difference was decided by the weight difference.

Whoever said he’d never AA knows nothing about wrestling.
Yep. Whoever can’t see how slick he is fighting off attacks/scrambles, 🤷‍♀️. You can see glimpses of his emerging offensive attacks. If he keeps committing himself to the lifestyle of an elite college wrestler, easy podium next year.

I need to know what "mean mugged" means.
russell westbrook nba GIF by ESPN

Yep. Whoever can’t see how slick he is fighting off attacks/scrambles, 🤷‍♀️. You can see glimpses of his emerging offensive attacks. If he keeps committing himself to the lifestyle of an elite college wrestler, easy podium next year.
His commitment & the same at 149 will go a long way in determining how far this group can go in the next few years.

My worry with him is that he just doesn’t even seem interested in having an offense. It’s like watching Doucet. There are nights where you can’t remember if you even saw him take an attempt.

True freshman upper weights have a really hard time adjusting to the size and strength of college wrestling. Lots of those guys make big jumps going into their second and third years.

Thompson won a ton of tight matches in HS, usually hitting a late duck. He beat Heeg in the Ironman semis that way.

He also held his own at the senior freestyle level going against guys like Marsteller & Starocci.

The key for him will be developing some leg attacks. Fix came into college with a throw-by and an inside trip. He now has an elite high crotch and really good swing single. I think we'll see similar development with Thomson.

He’s got a funk to him that will win a lot of matches. As others have pointed once he figures out his offense against men he has a HEAVY upside.

Thompson won a ton of tight matches in HS, usually hitting a late duck. He beat Heeg in the Ironman semis that way.

He also held his own at the senior freestyle level going against guys like Marsteller & Starocci.

The key for him will be developing some leg attacks. Fix came into college with a throw-by and an inside trip. He now has an elite high crotch and really good swing single. I think we'll see similar development with Thomson.
Brayden is comfortable on the mat. He wants u in on his legs and in a scramble situation. That is his offense and 90% of the time he comes out of those with a takedown.

I’ve been pretty critical of BT. He looked solid against Valencia and had imo his best offensive shot/td of the season. Actually blew in fast and clean. That being said it was one (really wanted more) and against an unranked kid. Let’s not forget he’s been going to overtime against anyone ranked with zero shots. He has to develop a consistent offense. If he doesn’t he will never be what we hope for.

Reactions: AtownPoke
Brayden is comfortable on the mat. He wants u in on his legs and in a scramble situation. That is his offense and 90% of the time he comes out of those with a takedown.
Yup, I agree. But if he wants to win titles and world medals, he really needs to generate his own offense.

I saw a Dean Heil comp in the other thread. Another is Kyle Dake. Chris Perry mentioned it on a podcast a few months ago. He just meant it from a style standpoint, not any kind of prediction. Good defense, good scrambler, opportunistic scorer, able to win close matches...

Yup, I agree. But if he wants to win titles and world medals, he really needs to generate his own offense.

I saw a Dean Heil comp in the other thread. Another is Kyle Dake. Chris Perry mentioned it on a podcast a few months ago. He just meant it from a style standpoint, not any kind of prediction. Good defense, good scrambler, opportunistic scorer, able to win close matches...
I’ve seen a lot of Thompson comparisons lately and I like it

Reactions: Wrassler17
BT took several shot attempts yesterday vs. Mocco. Obviously not his traditional style of wrestling, but I think it's starting to show that he is focusing more on his offense and getting to the legs. Coaches have been pushing this for a while and when it all comes together (hopefully this season) he will be a force.

I give Thomspon credit. His last two matches he has fired off at least one quick shot and got to his opponents legs. Thats all we've really been wanting to see and prior concerns were justified when before you had him hanging on his opponents head for 7 mins. Great to see the energy and movement and looking to score!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT