ADVERTISEMENT

OK State v. UNI Saturday 2/3 3PM @ GIA

oberebo

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Oct 30, 2005
Shawnee,OK
125 Nick Piccinnini #6 vs. Jay Schwarm (formerly ranked #17 Pic by Major OK State 4
133 Kaid Brock #3 vs. Jack Wagner NR Brock by fall OK State 10
141 Dean Heil #7 vs. Josh Alber #8 (toss up match) Alber by dec. OK State 10 UNI 3
149 Boo Lewallen #15 vs. Max Thomsen #7 Thomsen by Dec. OK State 10 UNI 6
157 Jonce Blaylock NR vs. Logan Ryan NR Jonce by major decision OK State 14 UNI 6
165 Chandler Rogers #6 vs. Isaiah Patton NR Rogers by Fall OK State 20 UNI 6
174 Jacobe Smith #12 vs. Taylor Lujan #7 Lujan by dec. OK State 20 UNI 9
184 Andrew Marsden NR vs. #9 Drew Foster Foster by dec. OK State 20 UNI 12
197 Preston Weigel #5 vs. Jacob Holschlag #13 Weigel by Dec. OK State 23 UNI 12
285 Derek White #11 vs. Carter Isley NR White by Dec. OK State 26 UNI 12
Last year I would never have given decision to Alber but until Dean turns the corner I have to go with Alber. UNI has five current ranked wrestlers with all rankings by Flo and Schwarm has been ranked. They will offer stiff competition.

UNI wrestles well in duals, they beat Missouri last season even though Missouri was the better team.

Picc +5
Brock +5
Dean +3
Boo -3
Blaylock +3
Rogers +5
Lamons -3
Marsden -3
Weigel +4
White +4

I got it 29-9. Dean with a few corrections. Boo has a 45-55 chance of winning this one.

Rogers squeaked out a win.
Lamons wrestled hard, but lost by decision.

Has Marsden done something? Why is he not getting an opportunity? Moore just doesn't do anything. I would rather see him shoot and get stuck.

Moore looses 11-2, got hit for stalling 3 times and gave up the TD that led to the major with no fight and 2 seconds left.

Moore is not even fun to watch. Brutal to even watch that stall shit show

i am expecting a couple of upsets to go our way today.
We have not had 1 upset that I remember in a dual this year. No upsets today either. We won but not impressive. Piccinni was impressive. Brock was a little less than okay, Heil Okay, Lewallan is messing up this chance to be a starter. No aggression or offense. Blaylock okay, Rogers had a poor performance, &4 he tries hard, Moore no comment, Weigel poor effort, White wrestled well. I don't believe we have been impressive as a team for almost the whole year.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
yeah i went out on a limb an thought today might be the day. i am not sure we wrestle wrestle anyone that has high rankings the remainder of the season.

Had to follow this one on twitter. Can someone provide some color commentary on the 125 & 165 matches? Did Picc struggle on bottom in the 1st and did Chandler tire in the 3rd?

Had to follow this one on twitter. Can someone provide some color commentary on the 125 & 165 matches? Did Picc struggle on bottom in the 1st and did Chandler tire in the 3rd?
Basketball kept me from seeing the 1st period with Picc but I believe he lost the takedown and was ridden a bit by a good top wrestler. I thought Rogers wrestled poorly the whole match but he really got battered and twisted up with a strong leg ride in the 3rd by a not that good wrestler

Basketball kept me from seeing the 1st period with Picc but I believe he lost the takedown and was ridden a bit by a good top wrestler. I thought Rogers wrestled poorly the whole match but he really got battered and twisted up with a strong leg ride in the 3rd by a not that good wrestler

Thanks

Pic dominated a ranked guy (18-20). Rogers got sloppy and work down going for the pin but wasn't in any danger until he was reversed late (being sloppy going for the turn).

It wasn't great but I like that he is always looking to put bonus points up. Hard to fault him for that.

Pic dominated a ranked guy (18-20). Rogers got sloppy and work down going for the pin but wasn't in any danger until he was reversed late (being sloppy going for the turn).

It wasn't great but I like that he is always looking to put bonus points up. Hard to fault him for that.

rogers is a treat to watch wrestle

dean was dean yesterday as disastrous as all the crazy shots in the mizzou match were for him i'm glad to see him getting back to who he is

Moore is either hurt or just don’t give a shit cause his effort to take a shot in a match is Brutal to even watch. I hope he can get it figured out cause he was a big time recruit but it has not transitioned to the college mat

Rogers squeaked out a win.
Lamons wrestled hard, but lost by decision.

Has Marsden done something? Why is he not getting an opportunity? Moore just doesn't do anything. I would rather see him shoot and get stuck.

Moore is not even fun to watch. Brutal to even watch that stall shit show
Neither one of Moore or Marsden were likely to win that match. IMO they wrestled Moore there probably verbally still giving him a chance to earn the spot, but sort of throwing him to the wolves knowing they could avoid having Marsden take a loss, which would hurt his RPI and chance to qualify for the NCAA tournament.

That's obviously not something they'll ever come right out and say, but if we see Marsden as the starter against OU, Edinboro, and Fresno State, who don't have good 184's, that will solidify my theory there.

Last edited:
I like Marsden. He won Jr Freestyle National last year and definitely will try some offense though sometimes his position and defense need some improvement.

There were a couple of wrestle offs yesterday to determine starters going forward at 2 weights I believe. Not sure who won either just know they were supposed to happen.

Reactions: Wrassler17
Moore beat Marsden in wrestleoff.If Moore can get his conditioning figured out he could beat some guys

Keegan's gas tank has never been great, but it has really worsened in the last month. Against Wyoming, at elevation, he was battling till the end for the win. Against Missouri he didn't even take a shot. Maybe a nagging injury is making the weight cut tougher? Maybe he's not being disciplined enough with his diet, sleep, extra airdyne workouts? Hard to know.

I'd like to see the results of a best of 3 wrestle-off between Keegan and Andrew. And I'd schedule it 1 match per day for 3 consecutive days, with 1 hour weigh-ins, and at scratch weight each day.

Neither one of Moore or Marsden were likely to win that match. IMO they wrestled Moore there probably verbally still giving him a chance to earn the spot, but sort of throwing him to the wolves knowing they could avoid having Marsden take a loss, which would hurt his RPI and chance to qualify for the NCAA tournament.

That's obviously not something they'll ever come right out and say, but if we see Marsden as the starter against OU, Edinboro, and Fresno State, who don't have good 184's, that will solidify my theory there.
I don't think Marsden will have enough matches to qualify a spot.
As far as a wrestle off, I don't care who wins. Marsden needs to be given an opportunity.

As far as a wrestle off, I don't care who wins. Marsden needs to be given an opportunity.
That is what we were saying about Mark Branch's backup too.

Not that I think Keegan can do the same thing, but you never know when it will click. If he consistently beats Marsden, then he should be the starter.

I remember a similar situation with Rosholt and Byers. Coach ended up going with who he thought could score better at nationals rather than who had won the recent wrestle offs.

Hopefully that's what happens this year at 184.

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
I remember a similar situation with Rosholt and Byers. Coach ended up going with who he thought could score better at nationals rather than who had won the recent wrestle offs.

I agree with this line of thinking when it comes to deciding the starter.

If they would've sent Byers out against Minnesota we may have won National Duals that year even after Z was hurt.

I'm sure the staff are looking at more than this, but you can't just take in the head to head when the 2 guys wrestling see each other in the room every day. It just doesn't work. Even at the lower levels of the sport. HS, Jr. high, etc... a guy can pick apart that individual's style and win one match. Doesn't make them a better wrestler.

Reactions: osu2082

If I remember right Byers took 3rd at Nationals and so it was a good decision. I don't think whichever way we go with 184 it will end up like the Byers deal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT