ADVERTISEMENT

How do you think we would stack up?

tom_v31

2nd Team
Jan 24, 2020
Bartlesville
Penn State 22, Nebraska 13

125: #9 Caleb Smith (NEB) over #5 Braeden Davis (PSU) (MD 11-3)

133: #22 Jacob Van Dee (NEB) over Baylor Shunk (PSU) (Dec 6-2)

141: #1 Beau Bartlett (PSU) over #5 Brock Hardy (NEB) (Dec 9-6)

149: #1 Ridge Lovett (NEB) over #12 Tyler Kasak (PSU) (Dec 7-3)

157: #1 Levi Haines (PSU) over #13 Peyton Robb (NEB) (Dec 10-3)

165: #6 Mitchell Mesenbrink (PSU) over #10 Antrell Taylor (NEB) (Dec 9-5)

174: #1 Carter Starocci (PSU) over #20 Bubba Wilson (NEB) (TF 20-4 5:58)

184: #3 Lenny Pinto (NEB) over #7 Bernie Truax (PSU) (Dec 8-6)

197: #1 Aaron Brooks (PSU) over #13 Silas Allred (NEB) (MD 17-4)

285: #1 Greg Kerkvliet (PSU) over Nash Hutmacher (NEB) (MD 10-0)

Kasak's fairly untested. Best win is D'Emilio. JW could definitely win that match.
Depends on what Williams shows up. He gets discouraged in matches at times and Kasak top game could frustrate him. A 100% Williams can definitely compete but I'm not sure we get that guy much yet

Reactions: tom_v31
Listened to the coaches radio show on Monday. Coach talked about Jordan and how he got "spooked" when he lost the scramble and got taken down. Said it took him 1:30 to recover from it. Said he liked what he saw from Jordan and thought he was aggressive and did all the work but mentioned how he doesn't like his mental behavior and focus during that match and when didn't rule out the idea of Alvarez going against Iowa.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
Also, where is Voinovich at 149 for Iowa? I thought he had the spot earlier in the season. Is he hurt or did he loose the spot?

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
Also, where is Voinovich at 149 for Iowa? I thought he had the spot earlier in the season. Is he hurt or did he loose the spot?
Rathjen beat him 6-3 at a tournament. And hes been performing well with lots of upside he's very athletic and was never a year round wrestler coming up so he's still learning a ton yet winning

Wish they would start at 157 and allow Jordan Williams to wrestle if a pin would win the dual. He is getting pretty tough with his cradle.

Rathjen beat him 6-3 at a tournament. And hes been performing well with lots of upside he's very athletic and was never a year round wrestler coming up so he's still learning a ton yet winning
So, leaves a team, for a team he thought would be better and have a better situation, better opportunity, just to get benched by his new team. Sucks to be him😂😂😂😂

So, leaves a team, for a team he thought would be better and have a better situation, better opportunity, just to get benched by his new team. Sucks to be him😂😂😂😂
The better team will be decided in March . Not sure he would be the guy in Stillwater either. Rathjen was dinged up last week so VV might get a shot this weekend

I heard that Rathjen may have got hurt last weekend. I don't know if he did or what his status is. We might see VV anyway.

Listened to the coaches radio show on Monday. Coach talked about Jordan and how he got "spooked" when he lost the scramble and got taken down. Said it took him 1:30 to recover from it. Said he liked what he saw from Jordan and thought he was aggressive and did all the work but mentioned how he doesn't like his mental behavior and focus during that match and when didn't rule out the idea of Alvarez going against Iowa.

i could see john get jordan up and walk him back to the locker room when jordan initially went to the gym floor behind the bench after the match

you could tell that drop to the floor didn’t sit well with john and he was really coaching Jordan on the way to the locker room

jordan has crazy upside and will be fun to watch his growth thru his career

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
i could see john get jordan up and walk him back to the locker room when jordan initially went to the gym floor behind the bench after the match

you could tell that drop to the floor didn’t sit well with john and he was really coaching Jordan on the way to the locker room

jordan has crazy upside and will be fun to watch his growth thru his career
Maybe?

Studs are always studs. I don’t remember this type of learning curve from OSU guys?

Maybe?

Studs are always studs. I don’t remember this type of learning curve from OSU guys?

can you clarify?

i watched derek white who beat Manek for the first time in regionals at 165 as a junior in high school

grow into an ncaa heavyweight finalist

can you clarify?

i watched derek white who beat Manek for the first time in regionals at 165 as a junior in high school

grow into an ncaa heavyweight finalist
Johnny Thompson, Tyrone Lewis, Coleman Scott, Jordan Oliver, Johnny Hendricks, etc. didn’t have a steep learning curve where they weren’t a threat to AA and used the Freshman/youth excuse.

There are many more names and the learning curve was AA to finalist, not 25 rank to blood round results.

Johnny Thompson, Tyrone Lewis, Coleman Scott, Jordan Oliver, Johnny Hendricks, etc. didn’t have a steep learning curve where they weren’t a threat to AA and used the Freshman/youth excuse.

There are many more names and the learning curve was AA to finalist, not 25 rank to blood round results.

you list cowboys in the pantheon
so your point is jordan won’t be an
all time great? ok

if he has as good a career as the guys i looked up freshman year seed wise out of heils brackets it will work out fine

seth gross no seed
tariq wilson no seed
bryce meredith no seed
dean heil 14 seed

Plenty of guys miss the podium their freshman year and go on to great careers that even include national titles. Chris Pendleton and Chris Perry come to mind for examples.
Confidence, maturity, priorities, habits, weight issues could all be reasons that could delay a wrestler. Some wrestlers just have their sh*t together earlier than others. If he keeps working and trying, it probably will all fall in line.

you list cowboys in the pantheon
so your point is jordan won’t be an
all time great? ok

if he has as good a career as the guys i looked up freshman year seed wise out of heils brackets it will work out fine

seth gross no seed
tariq wilson no seed
bryce meredith no seed
dean heil 14 seed
Maybe too strong on names there?

My main point is he doesn’t look like a threat to AA and I don’t remember multiple time AAs or even good team guys with one AA that had this hard of a time?

Don’t mistake my comments as bashing a kid though. I think he’s very entertaining and has worlds of talent…just seems to visibly struggle.

Reactions: gyppoke and Rdcldad
Maybe too strong on names there?

My main point is he doesn’t look like a threat to AA and I don’t remember multiple time AAs or even good team guys with one AA that had this hard of a time?

Don’t mistake my comments as bashing a kid though. I think he’s very entertaining and has worlds of talent…just seems to visibly struggle.
I think your point is valid. That’s not to say he can’t or won’t have any major success this post season. His struggles appear to be mostly mental along with maturity issues. He has all the talent/skill you could ask for. Coach has really spoken highly of him the last several weeks about his growth as a person and his work ethic. Coach seems to be very committed to getting Williams on the right track and it’s probably bc he can see something special in him.

Reactions: skylinepoke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT