ADVERTISEMENT

OKLAHOMA STATE VS. PENN STATE SUNDAY 2/21

When guys have to sit out for several weeks at a time, you have to wonder about their return. Joe Smith hasn't had any issues with his endurance, so hopefully it will be a non-issue.

With the way that Chandler, Collica and Boyd are Wrestling, you have to think we score some points with them. Marsden at 197 is the best bet to me to earn the most points in a tourney. Of course, he could have a really tough draw and be done quickly...or he could face a favorable bracket and score bonus during his wins. I believe that Harding fights hard enough to have a chance to AA, but again, the draw makes all the difference here.

I still think we AA at 125, 141, 157, 165 and 285 with two/three finalists in there. Big Marsden has the ability to pass the semis unless he faces Grizz in there. Smith has the ability to make the finals, but the semis will be tough whoever he faces. If he had not been out for some time, I would be more confident picking a win against Nolf in a rematch.

We have really good chances at having an AA at 149, 174 and 184 as well. I really think that Collica and Boyd will AA, but again, they could face a tough bracket. Also, Rogers may Wrestle like an enhanced version of himself due to his circumstances and I would absolutely love him making the podium. If we have 8 AAs and two Champs, we have a still have a serious shot at 35!

Shame, no shame, just readjustment. The only thing I am worried about is 197, I don't think Weigel can get it done, he has no offense, SO hopefully Marsden will do well. I bet he is wrestling post season. Harding is going to do well, he's a grinder, doubt it will be he'll be an AA but it'll be close. Heil won't lose to Ward again, Joe Smith will be back, and I have every confidence that C Rogers will dominate the NCAA's to the tune of an AA. I'm calling 8 AA's with 2 champs and hopefully a 197 showing with at least a couple wins.

Hey Obe, how orange are my glasses?
I like the look of your glasses and I like the sentiment expressed. I think the lenses may be obscured some but hey I am not an optomologist but an optimist.

Reactions: Poel_Jeer
It's always tough to get everyone to wrestle their best at the same time, but there are 8 guys on this team that top 6 is not far fetched. I feel comfortable with 141 and 165 in the finals. 125 is the top of the second tier. 285 can beat anyone at the weight other than Gwiz and possibly Snyder. 157 is definitely capable of top 4. 149, 174, and 184 have all shown they can beat some of the top guys at their weights. Everything has to work out, but 8 in the top 6 including 2 in the finals is not out of reach. If that were to happen then we would be right there. OSU v PSU is the perfect example of dual strength vs tournament strength. 125, 149, 157, and 174 all lean to PSU in a dual, but in a tournament the pokes finish close behind. 141,165 and 285 lean to OSU in a dual, but and all could possible crest serious separation from the PSU representative. I admit I'm being very optimistic, but after all this is entertainment and it would be that entertaining to be negative.

Reactions: osu2082
Just an outside observer:

125 - Klimara- Probable AA. It'd be his to lose, put it that way. That weight is just so stacked.
133 - GWH - 3-2 at the tournament. Possibly 4-2 based on where he falls in the bracket, but nothing past a quarterfinal round. I love the way he's wrestling of late, but even of late, Gary got run-ruled by the top guys (Brewer and Garrett).
141 - Heil - Finalist, likely champion.
149 - Collica - Man, I love the way he and GWH are wrestling of late. Collica's either ousted the round prior to AA, or he's in. But he's definitely got the best upside of those who are dark horses for AA status on this team.
157 - Smith - Joe's a semifinalist, or better. If healthy. And that's the key. Otherwise no one here probably even goes.
165 - Dieringer - My only fear of Dieringer is that when he's on top of the podium for his third NCAA title, he'll strip off his human clothing and reveal that he's really a Cyborg/Predator/Alien clone that was the result of a bizarre lab experiment conducted in a secret basement beneath the wresting room in Gallagher Hall. If my hypothesis is correct, be wary when you shake his hand as his sweat is probably a form of hydrochloric acid and neutron bomb remnants left over from the Cold War. My money is on that specific scenario more than it is any scenario you can concoct that has him losing.
174 - God Bless Chandler Rogers and his family. No predictions right now.
184 - Boyd - My upset special (outside of Stillwater). AA, as high as fifth.
197 - Dieringer - Unless you show me a rule that specifically forbids a wrestler to enter at two weights, this is still your best shot. Of the two not named Dieringer, Marsden gives you the best shot of scoring points but might lose a match to someone Weigel might beat because of style. I say go with Marsden. Or Dieringer.
285 - Marsden - Anywhere in the top four. Possible finalist depending on draw and if continues to wrestle more aggressively, as he has lately.

That's not enough to upset the Penn State apple cart, but it's good enough for a top three finish. Man, for all the reasons already stated elsewhere, OSU is going to miss Kaid Brock this tournament. It would likely be one of the best and closest team title races at the NCAA tournament in a long time.

Micco, most on here know that March is a fickle mistress. You can get a really nice and quiet type, or you can get the one that ruins a marriage/family. The general rule of thumb is to expect a few upsets or shaky performances by the top ranked guys at EVERY weight. For example last year, there were 25 AAs that were seeded higher than 9 and/or unseeded(7.)

#1 seeds had 10 AA honors with 6 Champs
#2 had 8 AA
#3 had 9 AA
#4 had 6 AA
#5 had 4 AA
#6 had 6 AA
#7 had 6 AA
#8 had 4 AA

I am not really sure what all that bracket reading teaches us? I just know that March is a whole bunch of fun and I can't wait who the next 25 surprises are...I just hope they surprise Penn State kids!

Reactions: osu2082
When guys have to sit out for several weeks at a time, you have to wonder about their return. Joe Smith hasn't had any issues with his endurance, so hopefully it will be a non-issue.

With the way that Chandler, Collica and Boyd are Wrestling, you have to think we score some points with them. Marsden at 197 is the best bet to me to earn the most points in a tourney. Of course, he could have a really tough draw and be done quickly...or he could face a favorable bracket and score bonus during his wins. I believe that Harding fights hard enough to have a chance to AA, but again, the draw makes all the difference here.

I still think we AA at 125, 141, 157, 165 and 285 with two/three finalists in there. Big Marsden has the ability to pass the semis unless he faces Grizz in there. Smith has the ability to make the finals, but the semis will be tough whoever he faces. If he had not been out for some time, I would be more confident picking a win against Nolf in a rematch.

We have really good chances at having an AA at 149, 174 and 184 as well. I really think that Collica and Boyd will AA, but again, they could face a tough bracket. Also, Rogers may Wrestle like an enhanced version of himself due to his circumstances and I would absolutely love him making the podium. If we have 8 AAs and two Champs, we have a still have a serious shot at 35!
I have been saying this all year....we have a very fun team to watch and we might be underdogs but hey we have a shot and I for one prefer to wear orange colored glasses.
On a seperate note who else scored 18 points against psu this yr......and of course had tragedy not struck the dual went exactly as i predicted accept i had rogers winning at 74 which depending on the win has us winning the dual. I love this team and am excited to see the finish. Go Pokes

Also, some more food for thought.

Mega's pin was BS but I am sure that he would have got the major the way Klimara was wrestling, so take 2 points away. Nolf beat a 3rd stringer with a pin, if Smith would have been in, it would have been a decision at best, or an upset, but reduce the final by 3 more. Chandler wasn't there either and I see the same result for that match or an upset if the circumstances were different, so take away 3 more. That gives you a final of 21-18. IF, and that's exactly what it is, IF, we had our starters, the score would have been closer, IMO.

Who cares about that dual? The NWCA is a joke and a waste of time!

It would have been nice to beat those crybaby Penn State fans, who have become my uO fans of Wrestling and as a group show the Yankee tendencies that people enjoy seeing lose?

Our Christmas is almost here! Forget that political crap, the NCAAS are close to upon us!

125 - Klimara- Probable AA. It'd be his to lose, put it that way. That weight is just so stacked.
133 - GWH - 3-2 at the tournament. Possibly 4-2 based on where he falls in the bracket, but nothing past a quarterfinal round. I love the way he's wrestling of late, but even of late, Gary got run-ruled by the top guys (Brewer and Garrett).
149 - Collica - Man, I love the way he and GWH are wrestling of late. Collica's either ousted the round prior to AA, or he's in. But he's definitely got the best upside of those who are dark horses for AA status on this team.
157 - Smith - Joe's a semifinalist, or better. If healthy. And that's the key. Otherwise no one here probably even goes.
165 - Dieringer - My only fear of Dieringer is that when he's on top of the podium for his third NCAA title, he'll strip off his human clothing and reveal that he's really a Cyborg/Predator/Alien clone that was the result of a bizarre lab experiment conducted in a secret basement beneath the wresting room in Gallagher Hall. If my hypothesis is correct, be wary when you shake his hand as his sweat is probably a form of hydrochloric acid and neutron bomb remnants left over from the Cold War. My money is on that specific scenario more than it is any scenario you can concoct that has him losing.
197 - Dieringer - Unless you show me a rule that specifically forbids a wrestler to enter at two weights, this is still your best shot. Of the two not named Dieringer, Marsden gives you the best shot of scoring points but might lose a match to someone Weigel might beat because of style. I say go with Marsden. Or Dieringer.
285 - Marsden - Anywhere in the top four. Possible finalist depending on draw and if continues to wrestle more aggressively, as he has lately.

That's not enough to upset the Penn State apple cart, but it's good enough for a top three finish. Man, for all the reasons already stated elsewhere, OSU is going to miss Kaid Brock this tournament. It would likely be one of the best and closest team title races at the NCAA tournament in a long time.
Micco, How dare you take the words out of my mouth. You are sounding more and more like the OK State graduate and supporter that your heart of hearts tells you to be. If I would have posted your message I would have been ridiculed by you on this board. "14 All-Americans at the ten weights for Oklahoma State and nine of those National champions". Those would have been the very words you put in my mouth. For once I agree with you uncomfortable as that feeling is to me. I know you will regress and backslide in the days ahead so I am on my guard. You could become my third favorite son with a few more posts like this.

Reactions: MiccoMacey

I think we have a shot with your projections.
125: AA
133: r12/AA
141: finalist
149:r12/AA
157:1-4
165:champ
174:?
184:AA
197:1 or 2 points
285:1-4

That's 6 AAs with 2 or 3 finalists and 2 borderline AA, that's not including 174. I'll take my chances with that.

Reactions: MiccoMacey
GWH has beaten a few of the top ranked wrestlers. Of course he has been pounded by the top two, but so has everyone else. Garrett and Brewer are on a different planet and should cruise to the finals. Conoway is tough and should be on the podium for Penn State. Harding matches up well against some ranked wrestlers and does not match up well against some lower ranked wrestlers. He is a longshot for the podium, but does have a chance.
I love what we are seeing from Boyd, Collica, and Chandler Rogers. My gut feeling tells me that two of the three will make the podium. Unfortunately Klimara and Marsden have a chance of underperforming. I like Klimara in the quarter finals as there is very little time after weigh-in and he is a small 125 pounder that could catch one of those guys pulling a lot of weight on the second day right after weigh-in. His results against the top four have been pretty rough, but he could pull it off.

I think we have a shot with your projections.
125: AA
133: r12/AA
141: finalist
149:r12/AA
157:1-4
165:champ
174:?
184:AA
197:1 or 2 points
285:1-4

That's 6 AAs with 2 or 3 finalists and 2 borderline AA, that's not including 174. I'll take my chances with that.
That's with a healthy Joe at 157. If he's not there, that's quite a few needed points that would be missing, even without a prediction at 174.

Micco, How dare you take the words out of my mouth. You are sounding more and more like the OK State graduate and supporter that your heart of hearts tells you to be. If I would have posted your message I would have been ridiculed by you on this board. "14 All-Americans at the ten weights for Oklahoma State and nine of those National champions". Those would have been the very words you put in my mouth. For once I agree with you uncomfortable as that feeling is to me. I know you will regress and backslide in the days ahead so I am on my guard. You could become my third favorite son with a few more posts like this.
Soooo....you're saying I'm moving up???!!!!!

Woot woot!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT