157-Williams
165-Mechlar
174-Plott
184-Wittlake
197-Surber
Hwy- Doucet
My guess 5 AA’s

Reactions: JAY45
Wittlake at 184 is a question mark when hearing about the coaches concerns on his size and strength bumping up two weights.

Discussing different lineups options this is not something I would like to see, but I wonder if possibly Plott cutting to 165 and Wittlake at 174 with Haas at 184.

Wittlake at 184 is a question mark when hearing about the coaches concerns on his size and strength bumping up two weights.

Discussing different lineups options this is not something I would like to see, but I wonder if possibly Plott cutting to 165 and Wittlake at 174 with Haas at 184.

John ALWAYS has concerns when guys bump up. Which is crazy to me - because there's only ever been improvement in achievement.

Plott can't make 165.

What have you seen out of Voinovich that makes you think he'll AA?. I hope he does but he met 1 NQ last year and was dominated.

AA will be tough at 149 this year as the weight is very deep, but VV doesn't let guys get to his legs, is tough on top, and has the speed and toughness to win a lot of matches. A year in the college room and adding in some offensive skill should help. I just think he's going to be really good. His loss doesn't concern me at all. That guy was an Olympian for Isreal and in his sixth year of college. It's like counting Carter's losses to Eierman or Micic against him. Doesn't really make sense to me.

Voinovich had big problems on bottom in that loss to Finesilver. He also gave up a bunch of riding time in one of his ranking matches against Gfeller. That's not unusual for a true freshman as everyone knows. Hopefully he's improved on bottom as it will probably be key for him this season.

The Wittlake situation is interesting. He was under 197 at the end of August. That's pretty light for an out of season 184 doing all lifting and no conditioning. Seems like his best weight might actually be 174, but apparently he is not going to wrestle-off there. One good thing about not cutting is he may open up more this year because he won't need to pace himself. Hopefully it works out like when JO went 149.

Last edited:
Reactions: vhsalum
For first weekend I'm going with:
125-Mastro
133-Fix
141-Carter
149-Voinvich
157-Sheets
165-Harper
174-Plott
184-Wittlake
197-Surber
Hwy- Doucet

I know it’s fun to discuss, but realistically I think we all know who’s starting where besides 165. For me if sheets is the man at 157 then I’m wanting to see mechler. Great team guy but just Not sure Harper is the answer. It’s time to throw some new blood in the fire and let them prove themselves in real competition. These 5th year room guys aren’t going to magically change over a summer.

I know it’s fun to discuss, but realistically I think we all know who’s starting where besides 165. For me if sheets is the man at 157 then I’m wanting to see mechler. Great team guy but just Not sure Harper is the answer. It’s time to throw some new blood in the fire and let them prove themselves in real competition. These 5th year room guys aren’t going to magically change over a summer.
I have Harper in there for the first weekend because Lehigh is a 1 pt dual based on wrestlestats and you can't just throw a Fr in there and take the chance of a MD. After the first dual I'm all for giving the young guys some experience. I'd have two 149, 157 & 165s on that weekend trip.

The online roster was updated with some weight changes from last year. Besides Wittlake & Surber being changed, Mastro & McLane are now listed at 157/165. Some other updates as well.

Wonder if Little Mastro can make some noise at one of those two weights. Would be a nice development if so.

Last edited:
Reactions: DPJ
Wrestlestat now has Travis Mastro listed at 165 along with Harper. When I looked a couple of days ago I think it had mastro at 157 and Harper was the only 165 pounder. Travis Mastro is a little bit of a mystery so I’m interested to see how rankings shake out and if he’s in the mix.

Wrestlestat now has Travis Mastro listed at 165 along with Harper. When I looked a couple of days ago I think it had mastro at 157 and Harper was the only 165 pounder. Travis Mastro is a little bit of a mystery so I’m interested to see how rankings shake out and if he’s in the mix.
Mastro was actually listed as a 149 on wrestlestat prior. He will probably be the guy next week at 165

Regardless of where Mastro goes, I'm pretty sure the weight classes on WS are user-editable - so don't take them as gospel.

Mastro is one of the great mysteries of this board. Wrestled very little last season - just 4 matches, all at 149. One of his matches was a shutout win over teammate Manibog.

He weighed 152 soaking wet in HS. When he tried wrestling up at 160, Gallagher physically injured him at WNO. Weighed 136 at certification last season (was reportedly sick). He's gotten bigger since then, but is still not "big". Weighed between 157.1 - 165 at certification this season a month before the preseason even began (same as Voinovich/Travis/Williams). Why isn't he wrestling off for 149? Or even 157. I have a hard time picturing him against college 165s. Maybe he's crushing guys in the room, who knows.

I was encouraged to see Adam's article mention Skidgel is in the mix at 165. Skidgel could be an overlooked guy. Multi sport athlete, didn't wrestle nationally, young for his grade. Should have a sharp improvement curve hopefully.

Regardless of where Mastro goes, I'm pretty sure the weight classes on WS are user-editable - so don't take them as gospel.
You can change the starter as a user. But you can't change the designated weight of a wrestler

Manibog OR Mechler at 157!! 👀

I’m personally biased toward Manibog as he was my son’s counselor & couldn’t have been a better fit

If Williams doesn't get the spot at 149, and it sounds like he won't, I wonder if he will bulk up 8 pounds and go for 157? Seems wide open.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT