ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma State vs. Army and Oklahoma State vs. Stanford

oberebo

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Oct 30, 2005
Shawnee,OK
125 Eddie Klimara #5 vs. Sean Badua or Connor Ziegler Army Vs. #15 Connor Schram Stanford
133 Gary Wayne Harding #27 vs. Austin Harvey Army vs. Brian Rossi or Mason Pengilly Stanford
141 Dean Heil #1 vs. Logan Everett Army vs Joey McKenna #2 Stanford
149 Anthony Collica #13 vs. Javier Rodriguez vs. Tommy Pawelski Stanford
157 Joe Smith #8 vs. Russell Parsons Jr Army vs. Max Hvolbeck or Walker Dempsey Stanford
165 Alex Dierenger #1 vs. Andrew Mendel Army vs. Jim Wilson #18 Stanford
174 Chandler Rogers or Kyle Crutchmer# 4 vs. Brian Harvey #18 Army vs. Keaton Subjeck Stanford
184 Nolan Boyd #13 vs. Samson Imonode Army vs. Garrett Krohn, Ryan Davies, Peter Galli Stanford
197 Preston Weigel or Andrew Marsden vs. Bryce Barnes Army vs. Michal Sojska Stanford
285 Austin Marsden #5 vs. David Farr Army vs. Nathan Butler Stanford

Stanford is not ranked in the top 20 as a dual team but ranked #16 as a tournament team.
Army is coached by former OK State wrestler Kevin Ward. Stanford Assistant coach is Jamill Kelly former Olympic medalist and OK State wrestler. By putting my Orange colored glasses on I see possible sweeps over both teams but 141 Heil vs. McKenna will be a barn burner. I do not expect kyle Crutchmer in the lineup and Brian Harvey of Army is ranked #18. I think Rogers will beat him. Russell Parsons Jr. at 157 has been ranked fairly high this year but is not now in the rankings and could give Joe Smith a battle. I do not see any other close matchups.

I've made every home dual this season but going to skip tonight. I'll drive up Sunday for the Stanford match. Heil vs McKenna 2.

The dual this Frday should be no problems as far as team points, but a couple matches could be upsets, lets hope for good upsets.

Vs Army
125: Klimara should bounce back after last weekend. I am not sure what was goin on with him against Millhof, it was visible that he was gassed early and gave up a late takedown, Eddie shouldn't be scared of Millhof, he seems to get to his legs and in rested top form, no issues. Fontanez should go for Army but Klimara will shine. Klilmara MD Fontanez 15-5
133: Harding had probably one of the toughest weekends last weekend, not surprised he lost both, but he rode Garrett fairly well I thought. He should have a good match against Austin Harry. Harding MD Harry 13-4
141: Heil is still moving forward. As far as ranked opponents he has been tested more than any on this team, and he's still undefeated. Everett from Army is no slouch, he has beat some quality opponents but he lost to Heil already this year at the Scuffle. Heil dec Everett 9-2
149: Collica is getting better with every match he wrestles. I think he continues this weekend and especially Friday. Collica tf Marchetti 21-6
157: Joe Smith will not wrestle this weekend because of injury, so look for Blees to go here, I doubt Marsteller will wrestle. Whoever goes will have their hands full with Russell Parsons, which is who I think will win here. Parsons dec Blees 8-5
165: Is there a point to predicting matches with Deiringer.....? Dieringer MD Mendel 13-4
174: This is another good one that can go either way. Rogers will go for an injured Crutchmer here against #18Harvey from Army. I think Chandler will win this one. It'll either be close or Rogers will get the pin. I think he will stick Harvey. Rogers pin Harvey
184: Boyd will go against Imonode and should continue his wrecking of 184. Boyd really has shown that he wants to be on the podium in March. His tilts are getting good, really good. Boyd tf Imonode 17-2
197: I think Weigel has secured the starting spot for now, but you never know. Weigel really needs to pick up his offense if he expects to get to the NC and win. This is his first chance to prove he's ready. Barnes will go for Army and he is no slouch at all, and this will be a test. I think Weigel can do it, but he needs offense and until I see that he can get an initiated takedown against quality opponents, I'm not convinced he will win this match.
Barnes dec Weigel 7-3
285: Marsden will go against Trevor Smith from Army. This is the funny thing about Marsden, when he wrestles ranked opponents, he just plays defense. When he knows opponents are a long shot to win, he turns it on. I know he can beat a lot of top guys and can go far, he just needs to turn it up. Marsden dec Smith 6-2

So, like I said, easy team win, with hopefully good upsets. Final will be around 34-6

Last edited:
Updates for both of these would be greatly appreciated!

No. 4 Oklahoma State 36, Army 3
Feb. 12, 2016 :: Gallagher-Iba Arena (Stillwater, Okla) :: Attendance – 4,362

125: No. 6 Eddie Klimara (OSU) TF Jacob Fontanez (ARMY), 15-0 (3:58)
133: Gary Wayne Harding (OSU) dec. Austin Harry (ARMY), 10-3
141: No.1 Dean Heil (OSU) dec. Logan Everett (ARMY), 7-2
149: No. 13 Anthony Collica (OSU) fall Mark Marchetti (ARMY), 6:05
157: Russell Parsons dec. Ryan Blees (OSU), 10-4
165: No. 1 Alex Dieringer (OSU) fall Andrew Mendel (ARMY), 6:59
174: Chandler Rogers (OSU) dec. No. 18 Brian Harvey (ARMY), 11-8
184: No. 14 Nolan Boyd (OSU) dec. Samson Imonode (ARMY), 10-3
197: Preston Weigel (OSU) dec. Bryce Barnes (ARMY), 10-8
285: No. 5 Austin Marsden (OSU) MD Trevor Smith (ARMY), 12-3

I thought for the second week in a row we looked a little flat and in a couple of matches we did not finish well. I think this is again due to the practices getting tougher and it will pay off in the end at the Big 12 and at Nationals.
We started off well at 125 with Klimara dominating recent Stillwater graduate Fontanez but even there it was more workman=like than inspired. Gary Wayne had four takedowns in his match and John had him let the opponent escape instead of a rideout that would have given him a major. At this point in the season John wants his wrestlers to push hard and certainly a major was not as important as pushing hard. Dean had two takedowns in the first period and 1:36 of riding time. He also was the recipient of a penalty point. In the final two periods each wrestler escaped and there no other points scored except that Dean was hit for stalling. Of all our wrestlers Dean looked the most exhausted after a match. This was not a good match for him for whatever reason.
Anthony had the most spark of the night at 149 and had 6 takedowns before his pin. He lured the Army wrestler into thinking he was going to let him up in the third period and then locked up the cradle for the fall. At 157 Ryan Blees wrestled for the injured Joe Smith and although he had the first takedown against a very good wrestler in Russell Parsons he showed very little else in the way of offense and Parsons had a 9-4 win aided by a stalling point against Blees. We need Joe back in the lineup by the North Carolina match if possible. Still no indication of the severity of the injury but apparently it is a knee problem.
Alex had three takedowns in the first period and 1:43 of riding time. The only point in the second period was an escape by Alex. He added another takedown in the third and then got a fall with 1 second on the clock. He did not look sharp but he was never in any danger. Chandler Rogers filled in again for Crutchmer against #18 ranked Brian Harvey. He had two takedowns in the first period but it was apparent Harvey was the bigger and stronger wrestler. Chandler looked outsized in this match. He took down in the second period and escaped and got another takedown before giving up a takedown to Harvey . Harvey took down in the third and escaped and garnered another takedown against Rogers who looked winded. Chandler held on for an11-8 win aided by riding time. Rogers showed some excellent moves mostly in escaping takedown attempts by Harvey but the size difference almost did him in and a drop to 165 will greatly help next year.
Nolan had a takedown and a penalty point in the first period at 184 against a strong but less talented Imonode of Army.He had an escape and a takedown in the 2nd and a takedown in the third for a 10-3 win. He was not as sharp as he has been lately but dominated Imonode without impressing. Once again John chose Weigel over Marsden at 197 and Weigel had a counter takedown and two back points in the first. He had another counter takedown in the second and had 2:49 RT going in to the third and then gave up two takedowns and two penalty points in the final period when he ran out of steam and turned a 7-1 lead into a 9-8 win based on riding time. Weigel is extremely strong and very good on top but I have yet to see him initiate an offensive move and this is a glaring weakness in his overall game. Austin Marsden had four takedowns and a near fall to win handily at heavyweight.

So is the Smith injury nothing major???
Got an update today while attending the Dual Team state today in Shawnee from a real good source that Joe will be back and it is 50/50 if he will be back for the North Carolina dual. He will be ready for the Big 12 for sure. Got more information on the problem do not feel I can share. At any rate it is good news that he will be ready by the Big 12.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT