ADVERTISEMENT

Northern Iowa coming to town Friday

CowboyUp61

Starter
May 22, 2016
This to me is one of our more interesting duals, as far as matchups.
I see tossups at 141, 149, 165, 174, and 184. And that is if we have our starters at those weights.

125- Picc vs Schwarm Major last time, don't see a change 4-0
133- Fix vs Skud See a tech fall coming 9-0
141 ??? vs Alber. tossup if Kaid wrestles well, but anything else....9-4
149 G vs Thompsen another close one, but G is better 12-4
157 Gonna say it doesn't matter who wrestles wearing orange 15-4
165 If Chandler, toss up-if Shomers, not so much-Stiert favored either way 15-7
174 Joseph vs Lujan-think this one is ours, but close by rankings 18-7
184 Jacobe vs Foster another close one-can Jacobe explode? 21-7
197 Geer vs someone Dakota wrestling well 25-7
HWT Poor Mr. Isley 31-7

Did you notice my orange glasses reflected in the tossups?

This to me is one of our more interesting duals, as far as matchups.
I see tossups at 141, 149, 165, 174, and 184. And that is if we have our starters at those weights.

125- Picc vs Schwarm Major last time, don't see a change 4-0
133- Fix vs Skud See a tech fall coming 9-0
141 ??? vs Alber. tossup if Kaid wrestles well, but anything else....9-4
149 G vs Thompsen another close one, but G is better 12-4
157 Gonna say it doesn't matter who wrestles wearing orange 15-4
165 If Chandler, toss up-if Shomers, not so much-Stiert favored either way 15-7
174 Joseph vs Lujan-think this one is ours, but close by rankings 18-7
184 Jacobe vs Foster another close one-can Jacobe explode? 21-7
197 Geer vs someone Dakota wrestling well 25-7
HWT Poor Mr. Isley 31-7

Did you notice my orange glasses reflected in the tossups?

I don't see Alber majoring Kaid. He isn't that type of wrestler, but he is a solid favorite. Thomsen has been all over the place this season, but seems to be down more than up. Foster is long which I expect will give Jacobe fits. I'd lean towards Drew and hope I'm wrong. Should be a dual with a lot of interesting matches.

Reactions: osu2082
I don't see Alber majoring Kaid. He isn't that type of wrestler, but he is a solid favorite. Thomsen has been all over the place this season, but seems to be down more than up. Foster is long which I expect will give Jacobe fits. I'd lean towards Drew and hope I'm wrong. Should be a dual with a lot of interesting matches.
i don't see him majoring Kaid, but I question if Kaid will wrestle. Hope I am wrong.

Espo talked about Kaid a little bit the other day. Was kind of interesting because it sounded similar to what some others have posted.

Loosely translated, he said Kaid sometimes wrestles the first 3 minutes differently than the last 4. He also tends to over think things rather than just reacting. And lastly, if he wrestles with an "attitude", he's an NCAA finalist. If he doesn't wrestle with that attitude, he's anywhere from #8 - #20.

Have you seen McKenna & Yianni D? Eiermam & Carr are also decent.

McKenna has looked great. Yianni isn't 100% and might not be come March. Eierman is talented but struggled separating and Alber recently beat him. I haven't seen enough of Carr just yet.

I think "finalist" is a major stretch but Kaid of healthy and locked in can compete with any of these guys outside of McKenna or Eierman IMO.

Just don't think there is enough time to get healthy or get right to do so.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Have you seen McKenna & Yianni D? Eiermam & Carr are also decent.

Sure, I’m not knocking any of those guys. I also don’t think Kaid is anywhere close to them right now. I’m just saying Kaid at his best could be a final 4 type guy at the weight. I’m not saying he would win it.

I see this as our most challenging dual to date that could end up being very close. We do have potential bonus points at 125, 133, and heavyweight, but we might need them to win this dual. With Chandler out of the lineup I have a bad feeling with a small guy at 165. Half our team has or could wrestle at a lower weight.

I see this as our most challenging dual to date that could end up being very close. We do have potential bonus points at 125, 133, and heavyweight, but we might need them to win this dual. With Chandler out of the lineup I have a bad feeling with a small guy at 165. Half our team has or could wrestle at a lower weight.
Any info on when he might return & nature of injury?

I thought I clicked on the right thing for Flo, but just keep getting the FLO promo.

What was the call on G to send it to overtime? It was either a takedown or it wasn't. Neither had riding time did they?

Thought Kaid looked pretty good compared with some earlier matches this year. Still looked like he had gas in the tank late. Didn’t see the td at the end as the video feed was showing some promo. Can anyone elaborate?

Not sure how the Gfeller match went to OT. The scoreboard showed he was up by 1 at the end of the 3rd. Pyles even made a comment on it, but they just kept wrestling.

Thought Kaid looked pretty good compared with some earlier matches this year. Still looked like he had gas in the tank late. Didn’t see the td at the end as the video feed was showing some promo. Can anyone elaborate?

Not sure how the Gfeller match went to OT. The scoreboard showed he was up by 1 at the end of the 3rd. Pyles even made a comment on it, but they just kept wrestling.

Kaid got taken down in like the last 3 seconds.

As for Kadens match, Thomsen had riding time so that tied it sent it to OT.

He keeps losing and he will be out of The top 20 ranking

Girlfriend taking up all his time. Checked out and hunts and fishes on her daddys land all the time is what I was told at start of year. Used to be a real mat rat coming out of high school.

Good dual and overall a solid win over a tough team. Would have liked to seen Kaid and especially finish there at the end. Picc looked awfully good and G got a big win. Jacobe getting better every time out.

We need to get healthy and then make a run for 2nd (yuck) in March.

133 - Daton has given up a takedown in his last 3 matches
141 - Tristan Moran is ranked #8, Kaid is ranked #14, what can you say
149 - G has something you can't teach - heart. Going to have a great career
174 - Joe hasn't looked quite the same since the Scuffle
184 - Jacobe looking better and better at 184
285 - Derek at 243, down from 258 at the all star classic, speed kills

Reactions: jon_osu and oberebo
You do not lose to the #6 ranked wrestler in the last 5 seconds and drop out of the top 20. That match was hard to take. He needs to start winning some close matches against top competition to get his confidence back.
I didn’t say that loss to Abner would knock him out but if he drops 2 more matches and doesn’t show good at the Big12 he very easily could be out of the top 20. He isn’t going to get a good seed at the NCAA as it is unless he goes on a serious run of domination. His upcoming match with Murin is a must win

Reactions: okcpokefan12
133 - Daton has given up a takedown in his last 3 matches
141 - Tristan Moran is ranked #8, Kaid is ranked #14, what can you say
149 - G has something you can't teach - heart. Going to have a great career
174 - Joe hasn't looked quite the same since the Scuffle
184 - Jacobe looking better and better at 184
285 - Derek at 243, down from 258 at the all star classic, speed kills

Derek has looked smaller. I didn’t realize he’s lost that much.

Does anyone know what Daton weighed in at? He always looks so much smaller then his opponent.

Kaid wrestles so well and then just fell asleep.

Joe just bugs the crap out of me. If Preston comes back I’d almost like to see geer at 84 and Jacobe at 74.

UNI came to wrestle. Tough kids.

My buddy kept mentioning that from 141 on, we were the smaller wrestler and we couldn’t match the strength of uni. Losing 3 starters will do that to anyone’s lineup. Also, we are in the middle of Coach’s “get ready for post season” workouts. We wrestled like we were tired and had no legs last night just like we do every February. We usually wrestle much better on Sunday after a day of rest.

My buddy kept mentioning that from 141 on, we were the smaller wrestler and we couldn’t match the strength of uni. Losing 3 starters will do that to anyone’s lineup. Also, we are in the middle of Coach’s “get ready for post season” workouts. We wrestled like we were tired and had no legs last night just like we do every February. We usually wrestle much better on Sunday after a day of rest.
I agree that John does push his wrestlers much harder this time of year to get ready for the Big 12 and Nationals and I do believe it showed last night. Daton was a good example of this. The UNI wrestler scored a takedown easily and got to his legs several times and this rarely happens with Fix. He looked lethargic. Kaden had to come back at the end and kudos to him and Thomsen is a very good wrestler. However, Jacobe and Pic showed no signs of fatigue and maybe that is because they are two of the hardest working wrestlers in the room. Hopefully, they will all bounce back Sunday and look better. Actually, I thought Kaid looked much better for the majority of the match.A puzzler as to why he was vulnerable to a takedown with only seven seconds left in the match.

Derek has looked smaller. I didn’t realize he’s lost that much.

Does anyone know what Daton weighed in at? He always looks so much smaller then his opponent.

Kaid wrestles so well and then just fell asleep.

Joe just bugs the crap out of me. If Preston comes back I’d almost like to see geer at 84 and Jacobe at 74.

UNI came to wrestle. Tough kids.

Flo tweeted the weigh-ins, Daton was 132.9.

Guys that weighed in more than a pound under (lineup shift still in play?)...

Shomers - 163.1 (btw, thought he battled well yesterday)
Joe - 172.3
Jacobe - 182.5
Dakota - 194

The whole wrestling team was celebrating what looked like a win for Brock. He got caught up in it and just forgot to wrestle any more at the end.

Certainly, you have to be able to float 7 seconds when you're leading by 1, but it is notable that Kaid got called for an absolutely atrocious stall call on top which changed the end of that match. Without that he could have just run. The official, in general, was terrible. The stall he gave to Foster when he and Jacobe went out of bounds was awful too. Foster was making an offensive move! Wildly inconsistent and made baffling calls over and over again.

Picc was great, Fix needs to snap out of his funk, Brock looked much better against a quality opponent, but you have to win those, G stole won against a past AA, he just never quits, Sheets did ok, Shomers battled his tail off, but he is a 157 and Steiert is tough, Joe has tank issues, Jacobe made me a believer last night and looks to have figured out 184, Geer wrestled 1 good period of the 3, but it was enough, White is amazing and a potential finalist. Lets go get the Mountainhawks!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT