ADVERTISEMENT

Next years squad

I asked the question because this years team is not winning the National Championship, I was hoping next years team could........ Some people know about this better than I do- that's probably hard to believe.
Neither is next years. We have a great team to watch and cheer for this year.

Reactions: osufanatic4life
@OSUMatFan I thought I heard Rex say Carroll weighed in at 224 last night. Does that sound right?

I might have misheard him, maybe he actually said 244 or something. I know Carroll has been banged up and maybe hasn't been able to lift/train. But that would be down quite a bit from the Broncho Open in early November.

I am no expert, but if Doucet was giving up 35 pounds and the AZ State heavy weight 282, that would put him at 242 is probably accurate.

I am no expert, but if Doucet was giving up 35 pounds and the AZ State heavy weight 282, that would put him at 242 is probably accurate.
I was actually asking about Christian Carroll, thought you might know.

If I heard Rex correctly then Carroll is down 26 lbs from his weigh in at the Open in November.

I was actually asking about Christian Carroll, thought you might know.

If I heard Rex correctly then Carroll is down 26 lbs from his weigh in at the Open in November.
Christian Carroll has not had a good first year mostly because of injuries. He is important for our future, but he is an unknown. He also did not beat out Doucette which probably surprising to many on this forum who thought red shirt or not was a big question. Several indicated he could All American his first year. If I remember he missed his senior year of wrestling because of injury and just got back for freestyle season. I hope he gets healthy, gets his weight right for best results and I hope he beats out Doucette next year and proves he will be a star. It might be that 230 to 235 might be his best weight.

Christian Carroll has not had a good first year mostly because of injuries. He is important for our future, but he is an unknown. He also did not beat out Doucette which probably surprising to many on this forum who thought red shirt or not was a big question. Several indicated he could All American his first year. If I remember he missed his senior year of wrestling because of injury and just got back for freestyle season. I hope he gets healthy, gets his weight right for best results and I hope he beats out Doucette next year and proves he will be a star. It might be that 230 to 235 might be his best weight.
I’m not saying the kid won’t struggle with injuries but if he can get healthy… I refuse to believe that he won’t be a difference maker. Kid is a freak.

A lot of questions for OSU this year as a tournament team. Spratley and Doucet are question marks and could or could not make the podium. Like it’s been said, a better dual team than tourney team.

Next year we should be a much better tournament team. Spratley can get bigger. If Hughes can hold 33 comfortably he’s an AA threat imo. Tagen has to avoid injuries again for a year until everyone moves up the following year (just my opinion). Williams and Teague much more likely to AA next year. What happens with Carter will be something to keep an eye on. We need another stud 65 from the portal. 74 clears out and IF (big if) Thompson improves and fully buys in he’s a definite AA candidate. Plott a finalist again. 197 and 285 clear out also.

If OSU keeps progressing and the energy and team dynamics keep building we could be looking at a bumper crop of AAs next year. Definitely a trophy team.

I have not talked to Christian for about a month. He was having a procedure and thought he may be able to wrestle some matches at the end of the season. He was lifting and rehabbing the day after the procedure. I visit with Christian about classes and life in general. I am severely lacking in wrestling coaching skills so I leave that to John and staff. With that Christian is very strong and incredibly explosive. Doucet has really improved his riding skills and that was probably the difference in the ranking match. His injury came 11 seconds into his first match and it has been rehabilitation ever since. Great hard working kid. Remember he could take down any 20 and under wrestler in the nation a year ago. He was only 19 at the time. Christian will be fine.

A lot of questions for OSU this year as a tournament team. Spratley and Doucet are question marks and could or could not make the podium. Like it’s been said, a better dual team than tourney team.

Next year we should be a much better tournament team. Spratley can get bigger. If Hughes can hold 33 comfortably he’s an AA threat imo. Tagen has to avoid injuries again for a year until everyone moves up the following year (just my opinion). Williams and Teague much more likely to AA next year. What happens with Carter will be something to keep an eye on. We need another stud 65 from the portal. 74 clears out and IF (big if) Thompson improves and fully buys in he’s a definite AA candidate. Plott a finalist again. 197 and 285 clear out also.

If OSU keeps progressing and the energy and team dynamics keep building we could be looking at a bumper crop of AAs next year. Definitely a trophy team.
Still Big If. He is a true Fr he beat a guy, two weeks ago, that beat Griffith twice last year and today beat a guy that has beat Plott and was a big 12 finalist Don’t be so early to judge true freshman he will be fine

Still Big If. He is a true Fr he beat a guy, two weeks ago, that beat Griffith twice last year and today beat a guy that has beat Plott and was a big 12 finalist Don’t be so early to judge true freshman he will be fine
What do you say is going to happen with Carter?

I gave him credit elsewhere after his win yesterday. He's looking much better. Easy to say dont judge to quickly after the fact. The two quick lefty singles hes used the last two matches we havent seen all year. Instead we saw zero shots and him going OT with guys ranked in the high 20s. Great win for Brayden yesterday and looking forward to seeing him against SDSU!

So Wille just put out an article on possible transfers next season. Not much at 65 but probably the top prospect at this point might be none other than Terrell Barraclaugh from psu. Kid is tough, don’t know if he’d leave psu or not. Just wrestled Shane Griffith 2-1 weighing in around 168 a couple weeks ago.

So Wille just put out an article on possible transfers next season. Not much at 65 but probably the top prospect at this point might be none other than Terrell Barraclaugh from psu. Kid is tough, don’t know if he’d leave psu or not. Just wrestled Shane Griffith 2-1 weighing in around 168 a couple weeks ago.
I think he'd be great for 1 year until Dee comes in. He's pretty tough and I'd think he'd want to start for his last season.

Still think we go after the highest ranked wrestler at 165 that is a freshmen. Does not hurt to be told no. If Barraclaugh is sitting behind a top ranked freshman he will leave. He will not beat out Messenbrink for the next three years.

Reactions: Howie_Fartz
Still think we go after the highest ranked wrestler at 165 that is a freshmen. Does not hurt to be told no. If Barraclaugh is sitting behind a top ranked freshman he will leave. He will not beat out Messenbrink for the next three years.
I’m not opposed to going after a stud freshman. Let Dee earn his spot when he comes in. The Bucknell kid is tough, but like it’s been discussed, he’s an Askren protege. Psu has a ridiculous log jam from 57-74 with current and incoming guys. The kind of log jam and depth you’d love to have.

We’ve had some recruiting misses that were very close in the past. I had heard we were really in the running for Woods and Griffith both when they were still at Stanford. Perry thought Chittum was in the bag 100%. Recruiting has been really good, just have to keep pushing and nailing down these guys. Keep going big and don’t let up. The success this year will only help.

Pat Smith was recently on the Wrestling changed my life podcast and he was asked about psu. He said several things but really emphasized the recruiting and that they’re winning that battle by a mile. Along with getting results of course.

The kid is not at Mizzou, because he would be behind a national champ this year and next. I am not familiar with Dee and my ignorance could lead to adding the wrong guy.

There are a lot of pieces to figure out how to fit in.

125 seems settled.

From there (NOT saying this will happen) a potential scenario to get the most talented guys into the lineup:

133: Hughes
141: Jamison
149: Young
157: Williams
165: ?

Hate to see Teague not be in the lineup…OSU needs to continue to upgrade and get the best possible 10.

Reactions: gyppoke

125 seems settled.

From there (NOT saying this will happen) a potential scenario to get the most talented guys into the lineup:

Hate to see Teague not be in the lineup…OSU needs to continue to upgrade and get the best possible 10.
I don’t see Williams beating Teague out at 57. To tough and works to hard. Young will need to battle but if he’s healthy and his head is on straight he’s an AA threat. Great kid.

125 seems settled.

I would assume Teague is too small for 165 right?

I don’t see Williams beating Teague out at 57. To tough and works to hard. Young will need to battle but if he’s healthy and his head is on straight he’s an AA threat. Great kid.
He already beat him at 149 if I’m not mistaken, he can’t beat him at 157 if he dedicates himself properly? We are talking about a Top 10 talent.

He already beat him at 149 if I’m not mistaken, he can’t beat him at 157 if he dedicates himself properly? We are talking about a Top 10 talent.
I did forget about that. But Teague has found his weight and come into his own. Williams would need to add a lot of muscle. To me he’s not a big 49. Arrington seemed to manhandle him. Imo JW needs to add some muscle to be a real force at 49.

I did forget about that. But Teague has found his weight and come into his own. Williams would need to add a lot of muscle. To me he’s not a big 49. Arrington seemed to manhandle him. Imo JW needs to add some muscle to be a real force at 49.
A lot can change in a year.

Jordan Williams was a Top 10 recruit and if he doesn’t for whatever reason work out, it would be another key miss that OSU can’t afford if they want to catch PSU.

All things equal, JW has more talent and upside than Teague…and I take no pleasure in saying that as there is everything in the world to like about Teague. If the entire Team had his dedication and work ethic, no one this side of PSU would compete with OSU.

Hopefully it will all sort itself out. Williams wrestled at 160 in high school. He’s far from being done growing.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
Selling Teague way short imo.
Maybe so.

If rankings mean anything, there is a gap in talent.

If ranking matches mean anything, the more talented guy won.

It does appear that one is getting more out of his talent than the other right now.

Reactions: OAMC99
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT