ADVERTISEMENT

Next years squad

I don't know squat. I think we have to utilize the portal to get a 165 pounder. We have a pretty hight recruit in Hughes that should be ready to go at 133 next year. If we have some scholarship money as well as NIL we can get a good 165 pounder.

@blair2000
Delete Old Man GIF

Blair wrecking my plans. I was hoping for this after seeing Travis & Plott up in weight this year. Even better if Travis could fill into 165 (John said he's an average size 157 right now).

133 McComas or portal
141 Hughes
149 Jamison or Young
157 Williams or Travis
165 portal (or Travis)
197 Carroll
285 Surber or Doucet

Reactions: AtownPoke
Blair wrecking my plans. I was hoping for this after seeing Travis & Plott up in weight this year. Even better if Travis could fill into 165 (John said he's an average size 157 right now).

133 McComas or portal
141 Hughes
149 Jamison or Young
157 Williams or Travis
165 portal (or Travis)
197 Carroll
285 Surber or Doucet
I'm still hoping Carroll can get a medical for this year and redshirt next year. We need to maximize the time we have with him and Merrill in my opinion. Having 2 hammers up top for 4 years would be great.

Reactions: OAMC99 and bwel9339
I'm still hoping Carroll can get a medical for this year and redshirt next year. We need to maximize the time we have with him and Merrill in my opinion. Having 2 hammers up top for 4 years would be great.
Saw that discussed on here, but still not clear if it's an option. I didn't think you could apply for a medical redshirt if your regular redshirt was still available for use.

Boo Lewallen missed his entire true freshman year with a broken ankle. He redshirted. The following year he sat behind Dean Heil and used a year of eligibility. Pretty similar, but maybe the rules have changed.

Reactions: NCcowboy
Saw that discussed on here, but still not clear if it's an option. I didn't think you could apply for a medical redshirt if your regular redshirt was still available for use.

Boo Lewallen missed his entire true freshman year with a broken ankle. He redshirted. The following year he sat behind Dean Heil and used a year of eligibility. Pretty similar, but maybe the rules have changed.
No rules have changed you can get a medical and a red shirt

133 McComas or portal
141 Hughes
149 Jamison or Young
157 Williams or Travis
165 portal (or Travis)
197 Carroll
285 Surber or Doucet
Jamison will be at 41 all 4 years Travis is never being a 65 Williams is a long way from ever being a 157

No rules have changed you can get a medical and a red shirt
You can get both, sure.

But can you get a medical when your regular redshirt is still intact? I think you are saying yes to that as well. But then how come Boo didn't get a medical redshirt for his first year?

Reactions: NCcowboy
You can get both, sure.

But can you get a medical when your regular redshirt is still intact? I think you are saying yes to that as well. But then how come Boo didn't get a medical redshirt for his first year?
Pretty sure he did, but didn't want to come back again because he hated school. lol.

Thought i saw that in an interview. blair - correct me if im wrong.

Yeah I think the medical only comes into play once you miss a 2nd year and your regular RS isn’t available.
It's both.

You can apply/get a medical the same year, or wait and have it approved to add additional years. It's one of the few things the NCAA has gotten right lately. The point of a redshirt isn't just to be on campus, the theory is that you're training/competing/traveling just like any other athlete. If you can't do that because you were injured - that's not the point of a "redshirt"

It's both.

You can apply/get a medical the same year, or wait and have it approved to add additional years. It's one of the few things the NCAA has gotten right lately. The point of a redshirt isn't just to be on campus, the theory is that you're training/competing/traveling just like any other athlete. If you can't do that because you were injured - that's not the point of a "redshirt"
Good to know

It's both.

Exactly you apply for medical when you’re done but they pretty much know it will get accepted if you don’t compete second semester and you have a doctors letter

Pretty sure he did, but didn't want to come back again because he hated school. lol.

Thought i saw that in an interview. blair - correct me if im wrong.
Boo had a covid year still available, but chose not to take it and didn't return for 2022.

And he did get a medical, but it was for 2019. It was initially rejected because he wrestled 2nd semester, so he had to write a letter explaining the extenuating circumstances.

Based on what's being said in this thread, he could have just applied for a medical for 2016 and it would have been a slam dunk. He wouldn't have had to worry about the NCAA rejecting it.

Last edited:
Where will CC wrestle next year 197 or heavy? If 197 can he beat Surber?
Sounds like 197. A match with Surber will be a battle (obviously) - Carroll has the higher pedigree.

Merrill at Heavy is interesting. He ain't tall, but i would love to see what Calcagno does with him in the weight room. Cowboy Bulk Job!

Reactions: tom_v31
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT