ADVERTISEMENT

Next years roster

Stew920

Recruit
Gold Member
Mar 1, 2017
What do you think the roster will look like for next year. Here’s my best guess...

125- Piccininni
133- Fix
141- Brock/ Gfeller
149- Lewallen
157- JoJo
165- Rogers
174- Wittlake
184- Smith
197- Weigle
Hwt- White

125-Fix
133-Brock
141-Gfeller
149-Lewallen/Martinez
157-Smith
165-Rogers
174-Smith
184-Moore
197-Weigel
Hvy-White

Can Boo or Geo make 141?

Picc will be the odd man out.

Reactions: Rdcldad
With what PSU has coming back will likely have to have at least 3 champions and most of the rest AAs to be in competition for the championship

The lower weights are the big question mark and the first domino is where Fix goes as that will dictate the rest of the weights. I also think Brock is the next domino in that it's hard to envision a lineup without him.

I just have heard too much counter info to think Joe can make 157 next year and I'm not so sure he and the coaches don't think 165 is where he can better compete for a title.

125 - Fix/Pic
133 - Fix/Pic/Brock
141 - Brock/Boo/G
149 - Boo/G/Geo
157 - Geo/G
165 - Smith
175 - Rogers/Jacobe
184 - Moore/ Jacobe
197 - Preston
285 - White

Strong tential for 8-9 AA's and then would need 3-4 of those to end up in the semis to make things interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Air_Thurman
it will be a damn good team with 10 AA’s if everybody stays healthy

it will be a damn good team with 10 AA’s if everybody stays healthy
If Smith can't make 57 I would go 25=Fix, 33=Brock, 41=Gfeller, 49 =Lewallen, 57=Martinez(better start lifting and eating). 65=Smith, 74=Smith, 84=Moore, 97=Weigel, HWT=White. Lose Piccinini and Rogers with this lineup. Much better lineup if Smith can make 57 because we will lose only 1 top wrestler out of the lineup.

It feels like I'm in the minority on this one, but I will be very disappointed if Picc doesn't make the lineup next year at either 125 or 133.

If we had a realistic chance of beating PSU next year, then I could maybe see going with Harley's lineup for maximum points (with Tristan challenging at 141 and Jonce challenging at 157). But PSU returns 117 points. They lose 25 points with Retherford gone, but they will gain points at 125, 133 and 285. I figure at least 130 points will be needed to win the team title next year. I think our shot is in 2019-2020. We should be preparing for it now. That means Kaid should be eating and lifting his way to 141 and Kaden should be eating and lifting his way to 157. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: andegre
If Smith can't make 57 I would go 25=Fix, 33=Brock, 41=Gfeller, 49 =Lewallen, 57=Martinez(better start lifting and eating). 65=Smith, 74=Smith, 84=Moore, 97=Weigel, HWT=White. Lose Piccinini and Rogers with this lineup. Much better lineup if Smith can make 57 because we will lose only 1 top wrestler out of the lineup.

Keegan moore over chandler rogers, a 2X AA is just laughable. Like keegan, but he'll likely won't even podium during his career. I don't think he's an AA type wrestler. Find a way to make it work with rogers in the line-up.

I took Harley's lineup as each guy was the best at that weight. No way to know, but I would favor Joe over Chandler at 165 and Jacobe over him at 174. Chandler and Keegan at 184 is probably a toss up.

Keegan moore over chandler rogers, a 2X AA is just laughable. Like keegan, but he'll likely won't even podium during his career. I don't think he's an AA type wrestler. Find a way to make it work with rogers in the line-up.
The problem for the Cowboys and Rogers is he is way too small to wrestle 84. Joe Smith likely beats Rogers at 65. Rogers goes to 74 and wrestles Smith. Neither is big for 74 and therefore they are not 84 pounders and so the loser of that wrestle off may be out of the lineup.. If Jacobe Smith beats Rogers I think he is out unless Smith decides to go to 84 and eats and lefts a lot of weights. Do I like Moore at 84, no he is not near as good as Smith or Rogers but he may end up starting unless Joe Smith is at 57. So maybe not so laughable. I think Smith to 84 would be best if it was decided at this time. I don't like how these weight classes appear to be working out.

I think this is all a guess as none of us really know who will be at what weight. The only thing for sure is if everyone is healthy, we will have a really good wrestler from the first 4 weights not wrestling.

I have herd Fix is definitely 125 and there is no way he can make 125 through the season and will be at 133.

I don't think Picc is big for 125 and probably too small to be effective at 133. The brackets are what they are, but Picc lost to Lee and Lizak, who finished 1 and 4. Moisey was an AA, finishing 8th and Picc beat him twice this year. Although he didn't finish as an AA, I think he is one of the best 8 wrestlers at 125.

Not sure if Brock is big enough for 141, but I cannot see him making 125, so if he cannot beat Fix and Fix is 133, he has to go up.

Brock or Gfeller at 141 and Lewallen could probably make 141.

Gfeller, Lewallen, or Martinez at 149.

I think everyone of these guys has the chance to be an AA and potentially high AA finishing in top 4.

The weight for Joe Smith will set up everything in the upper weights - if he can be effective at 157, that seems the best for the team, so hopefully that is the case and we keep the same as this year with 2 AA and Weigle and White with a good chance to be on the podium. Moore needs to improve to get there, but not impossible task.

That gives us 9 wrestlers who should be ranked and good chance to be AA. We need a few in the finals to have a chance to win, but this could be a great team and really fun to watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wrassler17
It feels like I'm in the minority on this one, but I will be very disappointed if Picc doesn't make the lineup next year at either 125 or 133.

I'm with you. I was not thrilled with Picc's performance at nationals but he's been one of our best wrestlers the past couple of years. I'm not ready to write him off yet. I don't think he can beat out Fix but I think the lineup is going to feature him, Fix and Brock.

I'm with you. I was not thrilled with Picc's performance at nationals but he's been one of our best wrestlers the past couple of years. I'm not ready to write him off yet. I don't think he can beat out Fix but I think the lineup is going to feature him, Fix and Brock.

i expected nothing else from picc vs lee and lizak

i was disappointed how the bracket broke for him

Reactions: osu2082
My apologies for what may be an impolite question but from several of the messages it seems to be a forgone conclusion that Joe Smith will have a spot in the line up. I realize there have been injuries involved but is that true and how do some of you insiders feel about his chances of finishing in one of the top 3 or 4 places?

My apologies for what may be an impolite question but from several of the messages it seems to be a forgone conclusion that Joe Smith will have a spot in the line up. I realize there have been injuries involved but is that true and how do some of you insiders feel about his chances of finishing in one of the top 3 or 4 places?

He's a two-time all-american so I have a hard time seeing how he doesn't make the lineup. He definitely has the potential to make the top 3-4 but it depends on what weight he is at. 157, 165 and 174 all return a lot of top end talent.

If you went to the after party in Cleveland you would realize that Picc will 100% be in the lineup. John spoke more about Picc than anyone else. Said that he would take 10 of him and how he was the leader of the team. He will be in the lineup. Not to mention, from the people I️ have talked to Picc beats Fix in the room easily.

I️ have also heard rumblings of JoJo not being able to make 57. Will be interesting to see how the lineup shakes out.

If you went to the after party in Cleveland you would realize that Picc will 100% be in the lineup. John spoke more about Picc than anyone else. Said that he would take 10 of him and how he was the leader of the team. He will be in the lineup. Not to mention, from the people I️ have talked to Picc beats Fix in the room easily.

I️ have also heard rumblings of JoJo not being able to make 57. Will be interesting to see how the lineup shakes out.

Picc beating Fix should be a pretty scary thought for OSU fans. That isn't good.

But you make a good point overall. I think I've heard John praise Picc more than any other kid we've had this year or last.

Reactions: BrettOSU17

Fix has been as good in the room as any OSU biased fan could hope. Are there days where an in season form AA gives him some trouble especially in certain positions? Sure, but Fix doesn't have an equal in our room currently.

Joe wasn't fully healthy and finished 4th last year so it's hard not to look to him to challenge for a top 4 spot next year. I'm pretty confident that will be at 165.

There is a poster on the Iowa board that says he heard Daton whips Picc in practice. Another one said OSU fans at nationals told him the plan was for Daton to go 133 next year. So if you're keeping track of both boards, Daton is both definitely going 125 and definitely going 133, and he's beating Picc and he's losing to Picc. Should be clear, right?:)

Seriously though, I'd like to see them both be starters and watch a great 1-2 punch lead the way for our lineup. And I hope the coaches and wrestlers can agree now what the plan is for everyone so Gary can start working some S&C magic.

There is a poster on the Iowa board that says he heard Daton whips Picc in practice. Another one said OSU fans at nationals told him the plan was for Daton to go 133 next year. So if you're keeping track of both boards, Daton is both definitely going 125 and definitely going 133, and he's beating Picc and he's losing to Picc. Should be clear, right?:)

Seriously though, I'd like to see them both be starters and watch a great 1-2 punch lead the way for our lineup. And I hope the coaches and wrestlers can agree now what the plan is for everyone so Gary can start working some S&C magic.
Full disclosure, I'm an Iowa fan but not trolling. I'm intrigued by your lineup issues and curious to see how they turn out. I think you guys will have a very good team next year regardless of how the weights work out. I jumped into this forum to see what you guys were thinking about Fix. It looks like you guys are as confused by the "intel" as everyone else.

I think Pic is a good wrestler and gets some unfair criticism sometimes, but I was really surprised to hear someone say Pic regularly gets the best of him.

Full disclosure, I'm an Iowa fan but not trolling. I'm intrigued by your lineup issues and curious to see how they turn out. I think you guys will have a very good team next year regardless of how the weights work out. I jumped into this forum to see what you guys were thinking about Fix. It looks like you guys are as confused by the "intel" as everyone else.

I think Pic is a good wrestler and gets some unfair criticism sometimes, but I was really surprised to hear someone say Pic regularly gets the best of him.

While I would love to see Daton vs Lee at 125 next year, I think our lineup is stronger with him at 133. Hopefully it gets sorted out soon. Either way, they should see each other at Junior WTT and the U23 trials.

While I would love to see Daton vs Lee at 125 next year, I think our lineup is stronger with him at 133. Hopefully it gets sorted out soon. Either way, they should see each other at Junior WTT and the U23 trials.
Good, now Lee can't duck him any more with that ACL bullcrap.

Reactions: driad
Good, now Lee can't duck him any more with that ACL bullcrap.
If Picc beats Fix in the room lots of fans will be very disappointed. When I watched Lee at Nationals I did think Daton is going to really have to wrestle a smart, excellent match to beat Lee in Folkstyle. Lee appears to me to be a much better mat wrestler than Daton. He will have to wrestle like he wrestled at the Reno finals. He did not take down position and got 1 takedown. Of course he will have to wrestle way better than in that match. Lee was dominating good at Nationals. I wish Daton could have wrestled at the Southern Scuffle because we did not get much of a chance to see him in folkstyle this year. From the Fauz match Daton looked much better than Picc. Our lineup will work itself out and I hope weight classes are decided to some degree now so our wrestlers through lifting and eating can be at their best next year. I pointed out the Jacobe Smith to 84 advantage to decide early. If Fix has 25 won and he will be there next year then Picc needs to work all off season to be a 33. If Kaden is working hard and progressing I want him at 41 next year. He won the Southern Scuffle. It will work out the way it is suppose to but it would be nice to have luck and karma on our side for a change.

but I was really surprised to hear someone say Pic regularly gets the best of him.

I'm about 99% sure that isn't factual. Fix gives all three of our lowest weights fits in the room.

I think he will be at 133 next year and is an instant title contender. If the coaches decide to keep him at 125 he will be the same there. Would

125 clears out as Suriano is likely to bump up and it will be interesting to see what Fauz and Wilson do at NCSt.

Reactions: okcpokefan12
I'm about 99% sure that isn't factual. Fix gives all three of our lowest weights fits in the room.

I think he will be at 133 next year and is an instant title contender. If the coaches decide to keep him at 125 he will be the same there. Would

125 clears out as Suriano is likely to bump up and it will be interesting to see what Fauz and Wilson do at NCSt.
That would be a fun semifinals. Fix, Suriano, Gross, and Micic.

I see it this way. To me Picc would be a top 4 threat at 125 next year, he was before and Lizak and others are possibly clearing out. As loaded as 133 will be I think Picc would have his work cut out to AA. Fix IMO can contend at 133 for a title, Brock to 141, Gfeller to 149, Boo to 157, JoJo at 165, Rogers at 174, Smith at 184 and Weigle at 197 and White at 285. To me that is your best lineup.

If Smith can't make 157, his chances to AA go down significantly. I'm too lazy to post them, but there is more power coming back at 165 than 157. He's got a better chance for points at Nationals at 157. Even there... he's going to struggle to finish above guys like Nolf/Kem/Hidlay/Pantaleo.

I'm pretty much with Harley and MVPFAN, with a couple of changes. When looking at weights and projecting, I think the key is frame rather than height. So I think Boo should stay at 149 and Kaden should "cowboy bulk job" up to 157. Sure, he could cut to 141 or bump to 149. But he has the frame to go 157 if Gary gets to work with him. Kind of like JO going from 133 to 149 and now even 70 kg recently. Likewise, I leave Jacobe at 174 where power is a big part of his game. He's a prime candidate to jump levels next year if he cleans up a few things. And Chandler to 184. I know some think he will be undersized and have leverage problems like when he wrestled 174 in 2016. But he was really a 165 that went up when Crutch got injured. Let him also work with Gary and you'll see something more like his run to the 84 kg finals of Junior WTT a few years back.

125: Picc
133: Daton / GWH
141: Kaid / Tristan
149: Boo
157: Kaden / Jonce / Geo
165: Joe
174: Jacobe
184: Chandler / Keegan / Andrew
197: Preston
285: Derek

133: Daton (no Olympic RS please)
157: Kaden / Jalin Harper
174: Travis Wittlake
184: Anthony Montalvo
197: Keegan / Andrew
285: Daniel Kerkvliet

I'm pretty much with Harley and MVPFAN, with a couple of changes. When looking at weights and projecting, I think the key is frame rather than height. So I think Boo should stay at 149 and Kaden should "cowboy bulk job" up to 157. Sure, he could cut to 141 or bump to 149. But he has the frame to go 157 if Gary gets to work with him. Kind of like JO going from 133 to 149 and now even 70 kg recently. Likewise, I leave Jacobe at 174 where power is a big part of his game. He's a prime candidate to jump levels next year if he cleans up a few things. And Chandler to 184. I know some think he will be undersized and have leverage problems like when he wrestled 174 in 2016. But he was really a 165 that went up when Crutch got injured. Let him also work with Gary and you'll see something more like his run to the 84 kg finals of Junior WTT a few years back.

133: Daton / GWH
157: Kaden / Jonce / Geo
174: Jacobe
184: Chandler / Keegan / Andrew
197: Preston
285: Derek

133: Daton (no Olympic RS please)
157: Kaden / Jalin Harper
174: Travis Wittlake
184: Anthony Montalvo
197: Keegan / Andrew
285: Daniel Kerkvliet
Wrestler it would be great if Gfeller could be 157 because it sure looks like we need one for now and the future. However I remember Gfeller's senior year he wrestled mostly 138 except he wrestled 145 twice in all star type events. One of the matches it was with verkleeran who is now at Penn. St and the other I can not remember but I do remember being disappointed he lost both. He seemed to get out horsed in the 3rd period to lose both matches. Going up 2 weight classes he would be wrestling some very big and strong guys. You saw Moran go up 2 weight classes and lose to guys I think he is a much better wrestler than. But who knows how our line up will turn out. Our chances to compete with Penn. St. improve with our best wrestlers in the right weight classes.

I think Geo has the ability to make 157 without being very undersized. I don't think any of the other 141/149 guys can. Maybe one of them hits a growth spurt.

Wrestler it would be great if Gfeller could be 157 because it sure looks like we need one for now and the future. However I remember Gfeller's senior year he wrestled mostly 138 except he wrestled 145 twice in all star type events. One of the matches it was with verkleeran who is now at Penn. St and the other I can not remember but I do remember being disappointed he lost both. He seemed to get out horsed in the 3rd period to lose both matches. Going up 2 weight classes he would be wrestling some very big and strong guys. You saw Moran go up 2 weight classes and lose to guys I think he is a much better wrestler than. But who knows how our line up will turn out. Our chances to compete with Penn. St. improve with our best wrestlers in the right weight classes.

Harley, I think you're right, Kaden is probably a 149 ideally, but we need a 157 for these next 2 years.

He lost to Verkleeren at WNO then lost to Jaime Hernandez at Iowa's Night of Conflict. Wrestlers don't like excuses, but here's my take on those matches. The Verkleeren match was at 145, with a weight allowance and day before weigh ins. Kaden basically just got overpowered by a bigger (but shorter) guy. Verkleeren wrestled some matches up at 152, including a freestyle match against Wyatt Sheets once. In the Hernandez match, Kaden just looked tentative, it was only a couple of weeks after the Verkleeren loss. To me (complete guess) Kaden's confidence grew toward the end of his senior year. He dominated someone (don't remember the name) at another all star event, then almost beat Luke Pletcher at Juniors (he turned him with an armbar, looking a little like Spencer Lee), then made the Fargo finals at 145. His confidence continued to grow when he went on to win the Scuffle. I just think he could do the Derek White eat and lift thing and be very tough at 157 - I think he can AA. But he has to start now, not wait for a wrestle-off next fall.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT