ADVERTISEMENT

Next years roster

To me it seems more about frustration than negativity regarding Joe. He is a 2x AA, which is certainly impressive, but his talent level is more on the champ/finalist level. I don't think there is any question that a huge part of that has been the multiple injuries. But I do think that there is something to the commitment angle.

I recall 3 posters previously commenting on Joe's off the mat commitment. All of them have some connection inside the room, because they have each correctly posted on other topics before anything was announced (thompsonja is one). Heck, even coach Smith said back in October that Joe needed to stay focused during his redshirt year or he would pull him out. 165 will be tough this year - Joseph, Massa, McFadden, Marinelli, Wick, Marstellar, and White are all back. I think everyone is just hoping that Joe stays healthy and is "all in", so he can reach his potential.

Reactions: osu2082
Abe Assad to Iowa. So far this off season they've picked up transfers DeSanto and Renteria, and verbals Assad (#13 in 2019), Glazier (#32 in 2019), and Kennedy (#8 in 2020). I figured Michigan would get Assad. I hope this doesn't mean they go after Kharchla now. Anyone know what schools Kharchla is considering?

Some available top guys:
Kharchla (#24 in 2019, which is too low IMO) - really a must get at this point. Would be a great candidate to take over for Joe.

Balmeceda (#12 in 2019, which is too high IMO). Hope we pass here, every match I've seen he is gassed in. Don't think that bodes well for the college pace. Rather see Stika or Harper get a crack. BTW, I thought Stika looked very good in Fargo.

Plott (#2 in 2020). Absolute must get.

Braxton Amos (#5 in 2020), Obe mentioned him. Would be a good fit as a small athletic heavy (or as a possible 197) if we can get him away from tOSU and WV. If Kerkvliet goes to PSU or tOSU, could we get Nevills or Singletary as a transfer? If not, maybe Nash Hutmacher (#10 in 2020).

We also need lower weights, maybe Dominick Serrano (#14 in 2020) is a possibility?

Interesting Flo article on our recruiting. This might be behind the pay wall, so I'll give just a few highlights.

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6237805-looking-for-35-ok-state-targets

- Chris is the head recruiter now (over Zack?)
- Kerkvliet is still in play
- Ferrari was mentioned as being a Dallas native, so maybe Willie is unaware of the Blair move?
- Shomers and Montalvo have looked very good in the room
- couple of possible 2019 targets not previously mentioned, #62 Jace Lachua, #41 Cam Amine

Interesting Flo article on our recruiting. This might be behind the pay wall, so I'll give just a few highlights.

- Ferrari was mentioned as being a Dallas native, so maybe Willie is unaware of the Blair move?
- couple of possible 2019 targets not previously mentioned, #62 Jace Lachua, #41 Cam Amine
Ferrari is still an Allen native, regardless of where he lives today.

I think Chris being the main recruiter is a bad calll

I think Chris being the main recruiter is a bad call. Zack was doing a great job! There are other reasons but I hope he does a great job and proves me wrong.

Reactions: Wrassler17
I don't know the ins and outs of college wrestling recruiting but with only 3 paid coaches I would all the guys on staff do a ton of recruiting and the term "head recruiter" is kind of meaningless.

Reactions: osu2082
I think Chris being the main recruiter is a bad calll

I think Chris being the main recruiter is a bad call. Zack was doing a great job! There are other reasons but I hope he does a great job and proves me wrong.

As AT mentioned all these guys recruit and recruit their tail off and we will put a particular coach with a particular reacruit based on fit and personality.

There are some who just think Chris is one of those guys who has "it" and those types aren't easy to find. It's why those same people feel he is our next head coach when John decides to step down.

Ferrari is still an Allen native, regardless of where he lives today.

Umm, thanks? I think? But I wasn't referring to the definition of native, I was making the point that Flo normally mentions when a top recruit changes schools. Like when fellow Texas natives, Jack Mueller and Nick Reegan, transferred to Wyoming Seminary a few years back. Since Willie didn't mention anything about Blair, I thought maybe the Ferraris changed their plans. Wishful thinking maybe.

Some other tidbits...
Jace Luchau retweeted the Flo article. He's also retweeted some other OSU stuff, so Willie is right about there being interest. I watched a couple of Luchau's freestyle matches, he looks pretty good. He will be wrestling at WNO, along with Balmeceda and Kharchla. Maybe we get all 3 of them?

Reactions: 100TonsofOrangeFury
Gotta be Mark Branch or maybe Pat Popolizio if Branch won't leave Wyoming.

A lot of excellent coaches on John's coaching tree. Flo interviewed Pat about a week ago. Here's a clip from it where Pat talks about everyone getting together to share ideas. Pretty cool.

Moran is tough and needs to be starting on some team. As I recall he always wrestled Boo tough and occasionally place higher at tournaments. This will be a good opportunity for him. I wish him well unless he is wrestling one of ours.

Did you guys see Flo's take on our startling lineup that was written august 12th? Fix at 133. That would suck as we wouldn't see him and Lee in January. Also has joe going 174.

Did you guys see Flo's take on our startling lineup that was written august 12th? Fix at 133. That would suck as we wouldn't see him and Lee in January. Also has joe going 174.
They also mentioned he might be at 125. Fix is a natural 125 pounder. He has no problem making that weight. Neither does Piccinnini which causes the log jam. Yes, Fix would be more successful than Pic at 133. He would be more successful than most at 133 but should he make the sacrifice for the team? IMO Fix wrestles where he is most comfortable and go from there. Pic can definitely be an AA at 125 but highly doubtful he could at 133. Some people point out his length as an argument for 133 but they forget his "width". he has a small build which he overcomes by skill at 125 but most 125 pounders are bigger than him and it would only be exacerbated at 133. Interesting to see how it plays out but very sad for a great young man like Pic. One other thing that factors in is Brock obviously and Brock is a very small 141 pounder if he goes up. He is not even a large 133 pounder. The weight cut may be too much to ask of him again and I am not the one having to make it but I also feel that most 133 pounders are naturally bigger than him and they make the cut. Of course, I realize if he does than Pic is out of the lineup and this would make me sad for him and his family. If he decides to go elsewhere it would be very understandable.

They also mentioned he might be at 125. Fix is a natural 125 pounder. He has no problem making that weight. Neither does Piccinnini which causes the log jam. Yes, Fix would be more successful than Pic at 133. He would be more successful than most at 133 but should he make the sacrifice for the team? IMO Fix wrestles where he is most comfortable and go from there. Pic can definitely be an AA at 125 but highly doubtful he could at 133. Some people point out his length as an argument for 133 but they forget his "width". he has a small build which he overcomes by skill at 125 but most 125 pounders are bigger than him and it would only be exacerbated at 133. Interesting to see how it plays out but very sad for a great young man like Pic. One other thing that factors in is Brock obviously and Brock is a very small 141 pounder if he goes up. He is not even a large 133 pounder. The weight cut may be too much to ask of him again and I am not the one having to make it but I also feel that most 133 pounders are naturally bigger than him and they make the cut. Of course, I realize if he does than Pic is out of the lineup and this would make me sad for him and his family. If he decides to go elsewhere it would be very understandable.

Honestly, I think the OkieSt thoughts on weight cutting are a bit outdated. Obviously, there are guys that still cut a ton, but acting like Brock is a small 133, when we all know the cut was hard is nonsensical.

Picc looks fully Cowboy bulk job upped in pictures. It certainly looks like he'll be cutting to 133. If so, then isn't he big enough to wrestle 133? There has to be some transitive property here. If strength can truly be accumulated then there should be no fear in a bulked up Picc going 133 and Brock moving up to 141.

Also... John makes the best pure wrestlers in the nation. Technically, every OkieSt wrestler is more proficient in every area of wrestling than any other team in the country, and I don't think it's close.

I just wish John would trust that more than trying to make every guy the biggest in the weight class. Every time a guy has bumped up a weight class or two, they've had more and better success than they did at the suck-out weight. On this team alone, look at what a full-feed Chandler Rogers is capable of at 86 kilos.

Umm, Brody Grothus ring a bell?

Got a couple of thoughts on weight cutting. The first is that fans in general (myself included) just don't know how much a guy cuts or what his ideal weight should be. Sure, we can all guess but there are a lot of factors - height, width (as Obe pointed out with Picc), hi cut (Z Valencia) vs low cut (Mark Hall). Also some guys seemingly tolerate cutting better than others. Daton, Matt McDonough, and David Taylor (college years) come to mind. If moving up, good S&C coaches can tell if a guy has the right frame to add mass and strength, but it's hard for the rest of us to know.

The other thought is that opposing fans like to say John makes guys cut too much weight. And it wouldn't surprise me if some opposing coaches said the same thing while recruiting. But I'm not buying it based on the recent past. I think John probably lets guys know the weight he believes they will be most successful. John didn't prevent Dean from bumping to 141 or JO from bumping to 149. Sometimes guys decide on their own they need to make a tough cut in order to crack the lineup. That's what happened with Marstellar. He wasn't beating out Alex so it was either cut or sit for a year. Every team has examples of this - Grothus cut to 141 for Iowa, Rasheed cut to 165 for PSU, Micah Jordan cut to 141 for tOSU. This coming year, Iowa will likely have Young and Wilcke cutting to weights lower than they wrestled in HS. Same for Brady Berge at PSU. Some have also said Teasdale could struggle making 125 if he goes this year. Are Tom and Cael now tyrants? Sometimes there are log jams and a lineup doesn't fit together perfectly. Coaches do their best but it's part of the sport.

Also... John makes the best pure wrestlers in the nation. Technically, every OkieSt wrestler is more proficient in every area of wrestling than any other team in the country, and I don't think it's close.

I just wish John would trust that more than trying to make every guy the biggest in the weight class. Every time a guy has bumped up a weight class or two, they've had more and better success than they did at the suck-out weight. On this team alone, look at what a full-feed Chandler Rogers is capable of at 86 kilos.

I believe wrassler made great points and I do not believe it is a philosophy of John Smith's to have his wrestlers cut weight. That is just speculation by some opposing programs for recruiting purposes. I am not an advocate for cutting weight. I would in fact argue that Chance Marsteller is a great argument against cutting weight. He not only could not defeat Alex he could not win against ANY of our 157 pounders at the time. Chance had other problems also but 157 was not his weight. This is not the case with either Pic or Daton. Maybe it is for Kaid but we will see.

I believe wrassler made great points and I do not believe it is a philosophy of John Smith's to have his wrestlers cut weight. That is just speculation by some opposing programs for recruiting purposes. I am not an advocate for cutting weight. I would in fact argue that Chance Marsteller is a great argument against cutting weight. He not only could not defeat Alex he could not win against ANY of our 157 pounders at the time. Chance had other problems also but 157 was not his weight. This is not the case with either Pic or Daton. Maybe it is for Kaid but we will see.
Todd Chesbro says hi as well. Perfect example of a kid who in all probability did not have the career he wanted due in large part to his cutting so much weight. Jumping up two weights his senior year, he makes the finals and is an NCAA runner-up after two low AA placing say 150.

I agree that Coach seems to have refined his thoughts on weight cutting, but I remember an announcer a few years ago saying our wrestlers were so lean you could see their internal organs.

Reactions: vhsalum
I agree that Coach seems to have refined his thoughts on weight cutting, but I remember an announcer a few years ago saying our wrestlers were so lean you could see their internal organs.
Can't always believe what the announcers say! :) A lot of the severe weight cuts you see are due to that being the spot where a kid can be a starter. Then they go up when there is an open slot.

Flo did a whiteboard war for our dual with Iowa. Willie and Nomad had it 18-12 Iowa, Bratke had Iowa on criteria, and Pyles had it 18-12 OSU (although he immediately regretted it, which isn't surprising). Everyone had Spencer Lee over Daton by decision.

More importantly though was the lineup they went with for us. It sounded to me like Willie may have spoken to the coaching staff recently (I'm guessing maybe Chris based on the recruiting article). Here's the lineup they used, which I think is more and more likely to be correct.

125: Daton
133: Picc
141: Kaid
149: Boo
157: Andrew Shomers
165: Joe
174: Chandler
184: Dakota Geer
197: Preston
285: Derek

Flo did a whiteboard war for our dual with Iowa. Willie and Nomad had it 18-12 Iowa, Bratke had Iowa on criteria, and Pyles had it 18-12 OSU (although he immediately regretted it, which isn't surprising). Everyone had Spencer Lee over Daton by decision.

More importantly though was the lineup they went with for us. It sounded to me like Willie may have spoken to the coaching staff recently (I'm guessing maybe Chris based on the recruiting article). Here's the lineup they used, which I think is more and more likely to be correct.

125: Daton
133: Picc
141: Kaid
149: Boo
157: Andrew Shomers
165: Joe
174: Chandler
184: Dakota Geer
197: Preston
285: Derek

Was a good segment. Kind of insane to think we could have a lineup that doesn't feature Kaden and Jacobe but that could be the case. Really wish one of the 174/184 guys had a RS available.

Was a good segment. Kind of insane to think we could have a lineup that doesn't feature Kaden and Jacobe but that could be the case. Really wish one of the 174/184 guys had a RS available.

Does Chandler not have a RS to use? I thought his got pulled a few years back and almost AA at 174?

Looks like Dusty Hone has returned from his 2 year mission. If so, he would be a redshirt sophomore and likely wrestle 141/149.

Also, read an article that Gilroy's Tony Andrade ended up enrolling at NEO with plans to transfer to OSU at some point. He's a 197.

Also, read an article that Gilroy's Tony Andrade ended up enrolling at NEO with plans to transfer to OSU at some point. He's a 197.[/QUOTE]

He could be a good backup option if we whiff on Ferrari.

Also, read an article that Gilroy's Tony Andrade ended up enrolling at NEO with plans to transfer to OSU at some point. He's a 197.

He could be a good backup option if we whiff on Ferrari.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, could be, Doucet would be a good one also.

I see why the ranked him that low to begin with but I will eat my hat if Weigel is healthy this year and finishes that low.

Weigel is one of a handful NC contenders at his weight. Now with Nickel going up then it's likely a race for second but he is in that mix if healthy.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT