ADVERTISEMENT

Finals matchups

Orangebomber

All-Big12
May 29, 2001
The team scores will be around 130 for Missouri and PSU with OSU around 120 heading into the finals. A few consolation matches may alter that a bit. Favored indicates the higher seed.

125 - Cornell vs Missouri - Cornell favored
133 - ISU vs Michigan - Michigan favored
141 - Missouri vs Boise St - Missouri favored
149 - OSU vs Missouri - OSU favored
157 - Nebraska vs Unattached (PSU) - Nebraska favored
165 - OSU vs Virginia - OSU favored
174 - Nebraska vs PSU - Nebraska favored
184 - Cornell vs Pittsburgh - Cornell favored
197 - Missouri vs Duke - Missouri favored
HWT - OSU vs Michigan - OSU favored

I don't know the point system but...
OSU favored in 3
Missouri favored in 2 but they have four finalist
PSU favored in 0 with only 1 finalist
Nebraska favored in 2

I think we could make up the 10-12 point deficit if we win all three finals. Oddly enough it could come down to the 149 matchup.

Oops - PSU is going into the finals with a 40 point lead. Not sure where all the late points came from because they about the same as Missouri. Doubtful we can make up 40 points as PSU still has several alive in the consolations. Just too big a hole with our 133's and 197's.
This post was edited on 1/2 3:09 PM by Orangebomber

latest team points on track are below. I'm not sure anyone can overtake PSU.

1. Penn State PSU 162.0
2. Missouri MISS 137.0
3. Oklahoma State OKST 119.5
4. Nebraska NEB 106.0

How did PSU score that many point with only 1 unattached wrestler making it to the finals?

Someone more savvy about wrestling points than me will have to respond. I know late in the semi-final round they were about the same points as Missouri, right around 133-135. Next time I look they are at 162. That is a big jump. So either their points were wrong before and were corrected or they are wrong now. No way they score 25+ points over a few matches.

Alton (157) had two falls. Nevills (HWT) MFF to his teammate Gingrich. Moss (141) advanced via fall and FF. I'm not sure of the points awarded for each, but those are some pretty big bonus points.

This post was edited on 1/2 4:54 PM by PokeGrad05

Kindig beat Houdashelt from Missouri 5-3 to be champion.
It appears that Collica won 8-4 over the Stanford wrestler for 7th place.

165 finals

Dieringer defeated Sulzer of VA 8-2
Marstellar lost to Walsh of Navy 9-3 to place 4th.

Re: 165 finals

Kyle Crutchmer must have defaulted, but Jordan Rogers is up on Weatherman of Iowa State 4-1 at the end of the 1st period.
Rogers got the first three takedowns, but gave up his legs too easy and Weatherman got three takedowns to get it into overtime. Weatherman got the takedown in overtime. Rogers offense looked great, but did not defend his legs.
This post was edited on 1/2 7:31 PM by OSUMatFan

Giving up big leads to good wrestlers has been Jordan's trademark. Still I enjoy watching him.
I think Kyle is on crutchers. May have a bad foot sprain.
I think Boyd won his finals match by MFF. His opponent was beat up badly in his previous match.

seed & placement

125 #6 Klimara - 4th
133 #12 Harding - dnp
141 #8 Heil - 8th
149 #1 Kindig - 1st
157 #8 Collica - 7th
165 #1 Deiringer - 1st
165#12 C. Rogers - dnp
174 #7 J. Rogers - 8th
174 #9 B. Krutchmer - 6th
184 #5 N. Boyd - 7th
hwt #1 Marsden - 1st

Congrats to our placers Eddiie, Dean, Josh, Anthony, Alex, Chance, Kyle, Jordan, Nolan and Austin M.
Cant wait to see a replay of Kindig's match. He looked great in getting his first win that I recall against Houdashelt. He his hit head on the concrete but got right back up.

Really good to see Chance up a weight and wrestling well. Great match between him and Cornell.

First I look forward to here from the fans who went to the tournament. I did not watch and so anything I write is questionable. However here is my view of the scuffle results. Dieringer is great. Kindig beat a guy he has never beaten and won the tournament. He did have some very close matches that are hard to understand. He needs to get more distance between himself and the guys he is wrestling. Marsden wrestled very well and has improved a lot. Klimara did good and almost beat the champ. However if he wants top place at Nationals he can't lose to someone like Boyle. Harding is better than our other 33's but is so far from placing. It is still a good move to have him wrestle this year and next because in my opinion Kaid Brock or Piccinni are better. Hardings best chance to grow is to wrestle. Heil was a real disappointment. I found it ironic that after Reno he is talking about having to get ready for Stieber when the 3 guys who beat him this week would get teched or pinned by Stieber. I really thought he would beat Mayes. His consolation matches were what was very disappointing. Collica got beat by guys better than him although I did not think he would get pinned by Alton. Marsteller showed great promise with great wins over England and Palocio but losing easily to the Navy guy was not a good way to end the tournament. Chandler Rogers demonstrated that obviously he could not take 74 for us and apparently needs to work hard in the down position. Boyd showed he is not all American material yet. Thursday night I was going to admit I was wrong about him but after Friday I still think I am right. I wish I was wrong. Schaefer seems to have lost all confidence in himself or is injured. Jordan Rogers is an enigma. I begin to have hope and then it is dashed. He has 3rd period meltdowns where he seems to be clueless how to defend a leg shot and appears helpless. Crutchmer apparently was injured and so I don't know when this occurred. But his results were not impressive especially against Kokesh. Someone wrote we did better that most of our seeds. Well with this type of wrestling we can take 6th or 7th because we have 1 great wrestler and 3 good wrestlers but the rest can't all American without a lot better performance that this. In the beginning of the year I thought this year was going to be poor by Cowboy standards and I still think that. Dieringer deserves to be on a championship team. Again there are fans who watched these matches and if I am wrong I am sure they will let me know. I do hope that am wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT