ADVERTISEMENT

U20 World Team Trials and U23 Nationals

Chasingthirty-five

2nd Team
Gold Member
Apr 24, 2023
5/31-6/02

Excited for this. More so with Cael and Dee sitting in best of 3.

Who can we expect here from the current roster and commits? Hoping most of the team outside of Plott, Surber, Hamiti (assume he is older), and Doucet.

Reactions: JAY45
Well not to be a downer but we may not see as many guys at U23s as we’re thinking. Hearing the coaches are more focused on several of the guys just getting better and learning the coach’s new system. Plus side is they are obviously VERY serious about taking this team to another level right away.

Well not to be a downer but we may not see as many guys at U23s as we’re thinking. Hearing the coaches are more focused on several of the guys just getting better and learning the coach’s new system. Plus side is they are obviously VERY serious about taking this team to another level right away.
That would go with the philosophy of less-is-more. Less wrestling = more medals. Less duel meets = more disappointed fans. (JJ)😉. I’ve been hanging out at the Iowa board too much.

When will we know who has entered?

I shouldn't ask questions that I could just google...5/31 @ 6pm is the Late Registration Deadline U23 and U20 Freestyle per USA wrestling. I'll be interested to see who goes and doesn't.

I shouldn't ask questions that I could just google...5/31 @ 6pm is the Late Registration Deadline U23 and U20 Freestyle per USA wrestling. I'll be interested to see who goes and doesn't.
Flow has a list up which I skimmed thru. It appears like our wrestlers are going to be working in Stillwater to get better because I only saw finalists in 20 and under Hughes and Lockett listed. However, I did just skim the list and could have missed some.

Reactions: cearle462
Some new cowboys added to Flo list of entries.

U20
61kg
-McComas

U23
57kg
-Smith
-Caviness

70kg
-Sheets

86kg
-Thompson (woah)
-Mower

92kg
-Dopps

97kg
-Carroll

I was really hoping to also see Spratley, Jamison, Williams, Young, Travis, Robb, Heeg, and Merrill.

Reactions: JAY45 and cearle462
Some new cowboys added to Flo list of entries.

U20
61kg
-McComas

U23
57kg
-Smith
-Caviness

70kg
-Sheets

86kg
-Thompson (woah)
-Mower

92kg
-Dopps

97kg
-Carroll

I was really hoping to also see Spratley, Jamison, Williams, Young, Travis, Robb, Heeg, and Merrill.
Was always told CC going 92kg for 23s but the new staff doesn't want guys pulling much so maybe that's what were seeing here.

Speaking of Sam Smith, Ive been told he's jumped levels.

Was always told CC going 92kg for 23s but the new staff doesn't want guys pulling much so maybe that's what were seeing here.

Speaking of Sam Smith, Ive been told he's jumped levels.
If 97kg is his freestyle goal long term there’s no major benefit to going 92kg right now if he is only dropping to 197 for ncaa I guess.

Would love to see Sam Smith be good enough to crack the lineup at some point but I’ll believe it when I see it.

Well that’s good then. No need to have them matched up lol. Would be really awesome if they could both make respective finals to show what we have coming.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
As of right now here's I think this is everyone who is registered from Cowboy RTC or committed...

DivisionWeightName
U20 Freestyle61kg (134.5lbs)Cael Hughes
U20 Freestyle61kg (134.5lbs)JJ Ryan McComas
U20 Freestyle74kg (163.1lbs)Ladarion Lockett
U20 Greco-Roman130kg (286.6lbs)Hayden Simpson
U23 Freestyle57kg (125.7lbs)Sam Smith
U23 Freestyle57kg (125.7lbs)Jayce Caviness
U23 Freestyle70kg (154.3lbs)Cutter Sheets
U23 Freestyle86kg (189.6lbs)Brayden Thompson
U23 Freestyle86kg (189.6lbs)Benjamin Mower
U23 Freestyle92kg (202.8lbs)Trevor Dopps
U23 Freestyle92kg (202.8lbs)Christian Carroll
U20 Freestyle97kg (213.8lbs)Cody Merrill (Daniel Cormier WC)

Last edited:
Not walking around weight. Hell he got heavier than that regularly in between duals this year.
If true then there is no wonder he looked terrible most matches. Thats about as bad of weight management as it gets while still working out everyday. Wonder how much better he would look up at 184.

Reactions: vhsalum
Crazy to think back on talk of him potentially being a 165 in college.

184 seems to be the spot.

Will be interesting to see how that impacts Robb.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
This is the old staffs team will see Taylor’s team after this next season. This team was put together and should get 2nd or 3rd at worst.

This is the old staffs team will see Taylor’s team after this next season. This team was put together and should get 2nd or 3rd at worst.
Well to an extent lol. Whether or not Taylor and Co being a positive influence to help get Hendrickson is up for debate. Also Amine is all the new staff. Much respect and love to the former staff and I get what you’re saying but we’ll be able to argue til the sun goes down as to whether several guys hopefully make jumps is because of the new staff or just the progression young guys make.

Well to an extent lol. Whether or not Taylor and Co being a positive influence to help get Hendrickson is up for debate. Also Amine is all the new staff. Much respect and love to the former staff and I get what you’re saying but we’ll be able to argue til the sun goes down as to whether several guys hopefully make jumps is because of the new staff or just the progression young guys make.
Anyone who signs under Taylor is a Taylor guy. Otherwise they wouldn’t have signed.

I saw them wear down and regress as the season went on so I’m not sure that it was just inevitable that they were going to make a huge jump. I know why you’d say that but they didn’t finish strong

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT