ADVERTISEMENT

U20 World Team Trials and U23 Nationals

CC has Voelker next. NCAA qualifier who went 2-2.

BT gets Parker from OU. Parker redshirted last year as a junior. Went 0-2 at NCAAs his soph season.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
Nagao just went down hurt bad in the semis. Shoulder injury. Dont see wrestlers act that hurt very often…hope it isn’t serious.

BT v Parker

Parker in quick on a leg. Gets around, BT fights off going down but eventually gives it up. 0-2

BT with a heavy drag. Tries to get around, can’t.

Tied up on the edge, they go down and ref calls feet to back for BT. Parker challenges and call stands. 5-2 BT

Parker in deep quick. BT gets a drag go behind. Gets PArker off the mat from his legs for exposure. 9-2.

Parker in deep again and BT gets double under to fight it off and they go OB.

Parker goes front headlock but BT then gets to his legs. Break. Still 9-2.

BT gets to a leg and gets behind. 11-2. I think BT thought it was over. Didn’t go for anything.

Parker pushing hard. BT gets a leg and uses some serious strength (where did that come from) to pick him up but somehow they give Parker a push out. Not sure what happened there. Should’ve been over. 11-3.

BT gets in on a leg. Parker goes over the top but nothing doing. End of time. 11-3 win.

That was some good stuff from BT. Needs to stay more aggressive like that lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rdcldad
CC v Voelker

V in deep but CC only gives up a push out.
repeat same thing. 0-2

Collar ties. Nothing doing.

Big duck under. Gets two and almost gets exposure. Gathers the legs but can’t get him turned. 2-2

Back to collar ties. CC tries a weak drag. Break 2-2

V goes double under and gets another push out. Honestly they could’ve gone either way there ImO. 2-3

CC deep high C and gets behind. Nothing else. 4-3 1:36 left

V gets under and CC dumps him but not score.

V again gets under him and gets a push out. cC cautioned for fleeing I guess. wtf was that. So 4-5 bc of the caution.

CC has nothing last 30. How do you lose with 5 step outs. That’s immaturity or poor conditioning idk. He was clearly better but got pushed out 5 times. Idk what the caution was for. I assume fleeing but he had his back to the edge so not sure how that’s called. Idk. That was crap. He got pushed around for 6 min then snap would score a TD. That was a bummer.

Last edited:
Nice comeback by Thompson to beat Pinto 9-8. Does Thompson look 20 pounds smaller than everyone he wrestles?

CC v Voelker

repeat same thing. 0-2

Big duck under. Gets two and almost gets exposure. Gathers the legs but can’t get him turned. 2-2

V goes double under and gets another push out. Honestly they could’ve gone either way there ImO. 2-3

V again gets under him and gets a push out. cC cautioned for fleeing I guess. wtf was that. So 4-5 bc of the caution.

CC has nothing last 30. How do you lose with 5 step outs. That’s immaturity or poor conditioning idk. He was clearly better but got pushed out 5 times. Idk what the caution was for. I assume fleeing but he had his back to the edge so not sure how that’s called. Idk. That was crap. He got pushed around for 6 min then snap would score a TD. That was a bummer.

ugh that sucks

BT v Heller

Heller gets in deep but BT heavy hips defense. Collar ties and snaps.

BT warned for pacivity

BT tries to drag, no luck. Follows with a couple snaps. he is pushing the action, Heller gets warned for locking fingers.

BT pushing the action works. Heller on the clock.

Heller in deep. BT gets to the legs though, scramble leads to stalemate. BT 1-0 after shot clock. Break. 1-0

BT in on high C. Early stalemate call IMO.

Heller gets in deep on a leg and gets 2. 1-2 with 2:25 left.

Heller just holding on to BT elbow, not allowing anything. Big snap, back to elbow.

Blast double, BT ends up with one leg, but Heller over top leads to stalemate with 1:29 left.

BT goes on the clock....as much FS as I watch, I still don't get that at all. Now 1-3 with 45 left.

BT gets in on a leg but again Heller over the top and ends up dumping BT for 4 points. it's over. I think BT will wrestle for 5th? BT got in a few times, but Heller could just grab his legs each time.

Last edited:
CC v Hopkins

CCgets a deep hook in and gets a push out when going for the throw. 1-0

CC pushing action. Gets feet to back going out off a Hopkins low double. 5-0

Hopkins again goes under, CC ducks by f 2, chest wrap for another 2, and another. 11-0 TF.

CC will wrestle for 3rd against Shumate (Ohio state)

CC v Voelker

repeat same thing. 0-2

Carroll should have won 4-4 on criteria. The last point was BS. Looks like the weight cut is affecting Carroll's endurance - or something else is.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
Carroll Techs Hopkins in the consi-semis. Going for 3rd next. He looked WAY more energetic, fast paced. Maybe he recovered from the weight cut?

I don't think it was stamina honestly for CC, I think it was immaturity, getting pushed out like he did. I don't mean that as an insult, more as a you gotta realize that's all the guy was going for and react to it.
I agree he can't allow 5 pushouts, but he clearly had a lot more energy in his next match. Practically sprinting back to the middle of the mat after going out, continually shooting and moving, nonstop high pace - looked like the same Carroll I've been watching for awhile. His energy level during the match he lost did not look like himself. Lots of tie ups and just hanging on. Few shots. Slowly returning to the center of the mat. At one point he didn't even have enough energy to try a gut wrench after a takedown which he is really good at, and his arms were around his opponents waist - he chose to just rest instead, that is not like him. He was tired.

Christian got the first takedown then gave up two gut wrenches to trail 6-2. In the second period he took Shumate down then proceeded with five gut wrenches to go up 14-6, then he got a back exposure while Shumate was sitting on a single leg to finish the match.

BT gets worked. He gave up after it was 4-0 it seemed. Gassed or doesn't care enough for a 5th place match who knows. Lost 10-0
In 2023 there were 4 great wrestlers around 174, Thompson, Barr, Ryder, and Welsh. At the end of his junior year I thought we got the best 1 but since he has come to Stillwater we got the guy who seems lost and isn't right. The rest are stars with great futures and we got the big question mark. The 5th place match was pitiful to watch getting overpowered, taking weak shots and giving up. wrestles a couple of good matches and then pitiful. I was really concerned with Carroll against Shumate but in the second period dominated and won by tech. Over all this was a not very good showing for the Cowboys.

Over all this was a not very good showing for the Cowboys.
Outside of Dee and CC I’m not sure anyone else really makes the long term lineup so while I was bummed, I’m not too concerned.

Obviously Hughes but that’s another discussion. McComas maybe in similar boat but unless he is better than I expect I’m not sure I see an obvious spot for him either

I don't think it was stamina honestly for CC, I think it was immaturity, getting pushed out like he did. I don't mean that as an insult, more as a you gotta realize that's all the guy was going for and react to it.
I agree. Pushouts are the easy points the more seasoned freestyle guys get on the young guys. Mat awareness and understanding the situation comes with experience. CC losing on five pushouts is meaningless to folkstyle and as time goes on, it will not be an issue with regard to freestyle. CC will be a good one. This is just part of his learning curve, as I'm sure his coach told him.

Christian got the first takedown then gave up two gut wrenches to trail 6-2. In the second period he took Shumate down then proceeded with five gut wrenches to go up 14-6, then he got a back exposure while Shumate was sitting on a single leg to finish the match.
Carroll has a really good gut wrench. His energy level for this match looked good again.

Reactions: JAY45
I thought Thompson looked very small compared to his opponents. If he keeps working he will be fine. Please realize that Thompson and Carroll just barely missed the U-20 by a few months and it looked like Thompson was wrestling up a weight class. He was getting manhandled. what he did against Pinto was pretty impressive.

In 2023 there were 4 great wrestlers around 174, Thompson, Barr, Ryder, and Welsh. At the end of his junior year I thought we got the best 1 but since he has come to Stillwater we got the guy who seems lost and isn't right. The rest are stars with great futures and we got the big question mark. The 5th place match was pitiful to watch getting overpowered, taking weak shots and giving up. wrestles a couple of good matches and then pitiful. I was really concerned with Carroll against Shumate but in the second period dominated and won by tech. Over all this was a not very good showing for the Cowboys
We had 4 wrestlers going into the tournament that I thought could make some noise. Lockett won it, Merrill got beat on criterion in the finals. CC got 3rd - should have been in the finals in my opinion if not for a bad call. Hughes didn't make weight - you never know what that is about. So I'd say they did about what I expected.

Please realize that Thompson and Carroll just barely missed the U-20 by a few months
This is where I’m at. Very excited for CC for 4 years. BT should’ve always been redshirted. A lot of how I feel about him was from a season he had no biz wrestling in anyway. Hopeful he can turn it around. He def has the ability just needs to flip a switch.

Over all this was a not very good showing for the Cowboys.
It was an awesome showing from Lockett, a great showing from Carroll, a no-show from Hughes, and more of the same from BT. Remember that this is Carroll's first time competing down to weight and that definitely showed with his conditioning compared to previous matches. The conditioning will improve as long as he cuts weight the right way, which it seems he is very committed to doing. I'm most interested to see how well his freestyle results translate to folkstyle though, because he scores alot from savvy freestyle moves.

For BT, we'll see if he's able to improve under DT, but it's too soon to expect any changes. It seems like he greatly relies on his opponent's style to dictate the match and does best against guys like Pinto who like to roll around and go for big moves, but struggles against more disciplined wrestlers.

For everyone else, U20/23s are tough tournaments and if you aren't a good D1 starter then you probably aren't going to win many matches. Mower, Sheets, and Smith all did better than I thought they would. McComas was wrestling up a weight so I don't think we can put in much stock there.

Overall I thought it was a good showing.

Even though it was freestyle, it was a chance for your new coaching staff to be in their corner and see what needs to be worked on in the future. So in that regard, it was a good tourney. You have some studs and some projects. Par for the course.

Reactions: Howie_Fartz
That's the question with him. 215 or 220 would be a good weight class for him, I don't know about heavy weight though.
I think the difference for Merrill was even though he is down to about 215 from his 245 something a few months ago I thought he still wrestled like he did when he was 245. He was not as explosive and aggressive as I saw him in Fargo and was a split second slower and therefore missed out on couple of takedown attempts in the finals. This was a big cut in a couple of months and maybe the aggressiveness, execution and super quickness will come back as he slowly gains some weight. Carroll was the better wrestler but it is not good when you lose matches to guys not as good as you. But he is cutting weight and adjusting and so I have great hope for him as a Cowboy. Also I did like Thompson's 2 matches against Pinto and Parker although I am not sure Pinto just got sloppy having dominated the 1st period. Time will tell about Thompson but he was the 2 seed and took 6th so I am concerned. Yesterday I wrote that Lockett is fantastic and still in high school. I know the cut for Hughes is tough but when a world team is on the line you need to make weight. So that can not be anything to feel good about plus it leaves us questionable about the 133 weight class next year. Some good and some not so good. To gain on Penn. St. that will not do

I think the difference for Merrill was even though he is down to about 215 from his 245 something a few months ago I thought he still wrestled like he did when he was 245. He was not as explosive and aggressive as I saw him in Fargo and was a split second slower and therefore missed out on couple of takedown attempts in the finals. This was a big cut in a couple of months and maybe the aggressiveness, execution and super quickness will come back as he slowly gains some weight. Carroll was the better wrestler but it is not good when you lose matches to guys not as good as you. But he is cutting weight and adjusting and so I have great hope for him as a Cowboy. Also I did like Thompson's 2 matches against Pinto and Parker although I am not sure Pinto just got sloppy having dominated the 1st period. Time will tell about Thompson but he was the 2 seed and took 6th so I am concerned. Yesterday I wrote that Lockett is fantastic and still in high school. I know the cut for Hughes is tough but when a world team is on the line you need to make weight. So that can not be anything to feel good about plus it leaves us questionable about the 133 weight class next year. Some good and some not so good. To gain on Penn. St. that will not do
I wouldn't worry about it. Taylor has barely stepped foot on campus. No telling really what will happen with some of these guys as far as their weight classes, their individual development, their adjustment to a different set of expectations from the new staff etc... It will take some time before everything is rolling. This is not a tournament to gauge much against.

While we are at it. Here’s my list of FS for the summer.
June
21-22 U23 pan am
27-29 U17 pan am

July
11-13 U20 pan am

August
5-11 Olympics
19-25 U17 World Champs

September
2-8 U20 World Champs

October
21-27 U23 World Champs