ADVERTISEMENT

U20 World Team Trials and U23 Nationals

Knox was injured even before. He roughed it out till then. Sucks. Would have liked him to be fully healthy. Forest vs Lil will b good
Merrill wrestled terrible and lost 2 to 2 to Rademacher. I did not like how he wrestled against Mirasola and he came out slow, do nothing, no focus and got a loss he deserved. At 5:9 can't let guys get front headlocks on you and go around you. Very disappointing which is not uncommon for us.

What would you guys say were the takeaways today individually? The main one for me overall is that you guys have a bunch of guys going up a weight next season, which I believe is a very good thing. Unfortunate that it effected U20s and U23s but in the long run, you'll have a better team.

What would you guys say were the takeaways today individually? The main one for me overall is that you guys have a bunch of guys going up a weight next season, which I believe is a very good thing. Unfortunate that it effected U20s and U23s but in the long run, you'll have a better team.
Agree

I’ll be honest. I’m bummed that Hughes missed weight and I’m bummed with Merrill’s last match (not being coached by us yet tho). McComas bummed he missed weight too bc it led to two TF.

I can spin it into a positive easily but I was excited for a bigger day for our guys than it turned out. Hope Carroll and Lockett can finish it on a good note though.

I don't foresee our Cole ever beating their Merrill. 😕

Reactions: Pennstate1985
Forrest up 3-2 at break over Lilledahl in match 1. Was 3-1 but Forrest lost a challenge.

Lilledahl immediate TD to start the second. 4-3.

Push out. 5-3 with a minute left.

Lilledahl gets a single, then forrest gets exposed trying to come around before a reversal. Down 9-4 with 25 left.

Jax loses match 1. Lilledahl took advantage perfectly each time presented. Otherwise Jax pushed the action it felt like.

Mantonana gets a leg on a slide by, but dee kicks out and then gets one of his legs and leads to a step out. 1-0 Dee.
Mantonana keeps going for a drag single, hasn't gotten it yet. Dee going for a single leg a couple times. Dee gets a blast double and looked like exposure but ref called OB. 3-0 Dee.
Single leg Beau, Dee goes for the go behind, no dice. End of first period.
Great technical high crotch for Dee. Gets the lace and gets 2. 7-0 Dee!
Dee goes for a double again, scramble leads to stalemate.
Dee re attack duck under to get 2 more on the edge. 9-0 with 1.16 left
Dee gets penalty for something, I didn't catch it. Dee then gets a push out. 10-1. Beau gets his own push out next. 10-2 with 35 left.
beau with another push out. Dee avoiding big moves. 10-3.
TD Dee. 12-3.

That's the final. The penalty definitely had Dee slow down and back off. Still not sure what it was for. Great win. He looked really good.

Last edited:
Carroll advances by injury default...bummer

Sheets stays alive in consis

Caviness loses and moves to consis

Last edited:
Round two. Must win for Jax.

Jax comes out firing hard but no dice. counter by Lilledahl and Jax does well to hold off a TD.

Jax in on single, but again good defense. Stalemate.

HOW does anyone get put on the clock here. No clue, but it was Jax and so 0-1

Jax in deep but somehow Lill counters and gets feet to back on the edge. Jax down 5-0

Jax gets a push out. Lill cautioned for fleeing so 1 and 1. Jax down 2-5 at break

Hand fighting and snaps...2 minutes left.

Duck under for 2....Jax down 7-2

Jax in on a single, Lilledahl kicks out pretty easily.

Jax gets 2, Lilledahl avoiding a throw there. 4-7

Caution for Lilledahl. 5-7, Jax scores at buzzer to tie 7-7.....but Lilledahl wins on criteria with that early 4 point throw.

Lilledahl was just more technical than Jax in both matches. Feel like Jax would benefit from getting to an RTC.

Last edited:
The horrendous passivity call was the difference.
It made no sense. Out of all the matches I've watched today, that was the most action we had seen in the first minute by both guys. One of the few things with freestyle I hate.

Also, bummer for Jax to give up the 4 like he did. Very few guys have probably ever done that to him so he wasn't prepared. Not a good excuse, but probably something to that.

Dee v Beau round 2

Dee with a push out. 1-0

Dee holds off a shot. Not a lot going on. Hand fighting. Controlling center. Beau on the clock now. 2-0 Dee.

Dee with a duck under, good defense. Nothing else. Break

Dee gets in deep, can't limp arm out, but still gets a push out. 3-0

They get tied up and Beau gets 2 on exposure....questionable, but not worth challenge. 3-2 Dee. 1 min left.

Beau with a single attempt, nothing doing.

Another single. Scramble leads to exposure. Another exposure of same scramble. Dee loses 6-3.....

THIS is what happens when you wrestle not to lose. Completely different style from Dee to just wrestle conservatively there.

Last edited:
DT in BT corner and at break clearly telling him to get his head up....BT famous position underneath when tying up. Let's see if he listens.

Reactions: colcord
DT in BT corner and at break clearly telling him to get his head up....BT famous position underneath when tying up. Let's see if he listens.
I am so disappointed in how Thompson wrestled. He almost lost a match to a wrestler not in his league. He is ahead 3 to 0 with 5 seconds left in the first period and he falls asleep and allows himself to be driven out of bounce to give up 1 point. The 2nd period he hangs on his opponents arms and shoulders stalling for over 2 minutes. He gives up 2 stalling points and he is behind with less than 30 seconds left and he is behind on criteria. He actually wrestles and gets a takedown for a 5 to 3 lead with 15 seconds left and then he falls asleep gives up an escape and right away gets pushed out to make it 5 to 4. He runs for a couple of seconds falls on his knees with his opponent on top of him but the clock ran out a whole half second before or he would have lost. Horrible match to watch.

Ya….theres a good chance DT is going to recruit over him I would think.
Lockett wins by tech and will represent this country at Worlds. It was 4 to 1 after Lockett got pushed out and I was thinking don't go conservative like he did in the 2nd match. A few seconds later Lockett was on the edge and shot and got the takedown. Near the end of the match Lockett got 4 but it was close to his opponent getting 4 but Lockett held his hold and so he got the 4 for the tech.

Last edited:
You are right, he wrestles like he wants to win by a hair and do as little as possible. It is not working for him.
It seems that cutting weight was not Thompson's problem this year. His attitude, his willingness to work hard and his defensive wrestling style may be part of his problems. Maybe we should not get so excited because Penn. St I believe won 4 20 and under titles. The one that concerns me the most was Barr beating Sinclaire because Sinclaire beat Barr easily in the US Open and lost to him 2 out of 3 with a developed strategy and training in a short period of time. A disappointing day but Dee Lockett seems like he is someone special. Carroll we will see tomorrow.

Reactions: PD4thespawn
Merrill wrestled terrible and lost 2 to 2 to Rademacher. I did not like how he wrestled against Mirasola and he came out slow, do nothing, no focus and got a loss he deserved. At 5:9 can't let guys get front headlocks on you and go around you. Very disappointing which is not uncommon for us.
Merrill beats his opponents by physically dominating them. His combination of power and quickness just blows most High School kids away. I didn't think he wrestled Rademacher any different or worse than he wrestled anyone else. My opinion is simply that he couldn't physically dominate Rodemacher like he is used to. Rodemacher matched Merrill's speed and strength and his hand fighting was extremely physical. Thus the result. I'm still really not sure what Merrill is going to do in college - he's going to be very small for a heaviweight.

Just to clarify if you know, was that a request by coach that they not go or was it more so we won’t ask you to go? If that makes sense haha
Are you sure about this?

I thought he came here to coach World Champs and guys that want to be World Champs. You can't be a World Champ if you don't compete in the event that can allow you to be a World Champ.

I like World Champs!
Can’t honestly say the exact context in which the guys were told but I think they told them they would rather most of them not go and just focus on getting better.

Gentleman we all would’ve loved to have watched all the starters compete this weekend but let’s face it the new staff has just arrived. They want these guys to learn their system and to get better and hopefully make huge jumps in their development. We have a lot of young guys with a lot of talent but if they want to make the podium with all the parity these days, especially at the lower weights, they’ll NEED to jump levels.

Sure we want world champs. Hell I wish we’d of won every weight in both divisions. But in the end who the hell are we to question David Taylor? It’s good to remember he was hired to win NCAA team titles not U20 champs. But I think we all know that both will come.

Someone in a previous post said they wondered if Coach Taylor would recruit over Thompson? If he doesn’t he’s not the right guy for the job. If you’re not a top 5 guy you should understand there’s a chance you could get recruited over. That’s how psu does it and how we’ll need to do it to compete. Jesus look how they get the best talent always coming in and there’s obvious log jams and no one knows if they’ll even start and they still come! So yes Coach Taylor WILL recruit over him and hopefully quickly. He wants to win.

Merrill beats his opponents by physically dominating them. His combination of power and quickness just blows most High School kids away. I didn't think he wrestled Rademacher any different or worse than he wrestled anyone else. My opinion is simply that he couldn't physically dominate Rodemacher like he is used to. Rodemacher matched Merrill's speed and strength and his hand fighting was extremely physical. Thus the result. I'm still really not sure what Merrill is going to do in college - he's going to be very small for a heaviweight.
Merrill reminds me a little of Chance Marstellar. Incredible in HS due to his physicality but needed to transition away from that in college because physicality alone cannot win every bout because guys like Rodemacher exist. Chance transitioned nicely to a situational/positional wrestler at Lock Haven, and with your coaching staff, Merrill will too.

Bigger question is can Merrill put on great weight and stay at 240+

Reactions: TheJimReaper
Merrill reminds me a little of Chance Marstellar. Incredible in HS due to his physicality but needed to transition away from that in college because physicality alone cannot win every bout because guys like Rodemacher exist. Chance transitioned nicely to a situational/positional wrestler at Lock Haven, and with your coaching staff, Merrill will too.

Bigger question is can Merrill put on great weight and stay at 240+
That's how I see it.

CC goes on clock. Probably fair. Seems to be feeling Munoz out. CC goes for a big duck under. Doesn’t get it but then goes into a heavy drag and eventually gets behind. Gets two big gut turns. 6-1 at break.

Munoz in early. CC hold on for a chance at a chest wrap. Probably holds too long. Munoz gets the 2. 6-3.

CC getting warned for something. Probably stalling warning. Munoz trying ducks and throw by not doing anything. 1 min left.

Munoz in deep but CC wraps his chest and heavy hips down. Stalemate

Munoz throws it at CC but nothing. Late warning on CC ends it at 6-4. Great win.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT