ADVERTISEMENT

Southern Scuffle

Balmeceda has gassed badly wrestling anywhere from 141 up to 160. Doesn't look like it's fixable to me.

Was hoping to see Chance McLane here. He is a possible longer term answer at 149. Others are Teague Travis, Voinovich, Jordan Williams & Zach Blankenship.

Kid is half way through his true freshman year. Seems a tad soon to write him off.

Yes, Joe looks tough so far. I hope and expect it to continue. I think 74 is a good weight for him.
Team scoring going into the round of 16.
1. OK State 31 10 in championship running
2. Rutgers 28 11 in Championshiip running
3. N. Carolina St. 26.5 12
3. Navy 26.5 7
5. Stanford 26 11
6. Northern Co. 25.5 5
7. N. Dak. St. 24 7
8. Rider 24 7
9. Air Force 22 6
10. Chattanooga 20.5 6

We're actually at 30 points. Somehow we lost a team point during Balmaceda's match against Cleveland State. Not sure what happened there.

Kid is half way through his true freshman year. Seems a tad soon to write him off.
Balmeceda won a close match in the consolations. He really struggled to finish the match having to take a minute or more of injury time because it appeared he could hardly breath. He does have a real problem with wrestling a tough match for 7 minutes or maybe 5 minutes.

Balmeceda won a close match in the consolations. He really struggled to finish the match having to take a minute or more of injury time because it appeared he could hardly breath. He does have a real problem with wrestling a tough match for 7 minutes or maybe 5 minutes.

For sure. He has a real problem. I might not get better and I’m not trying to say it will. Just saying the kid is young. Way too soon to say it isn’t fixable.

We're actually at 30 points. Somehow we lost a team point during Balmaceda's match against Cleveland State. Not sure what happened there.
I think it was because when he gave up a questionable reversal he said something language wise where a team point was taken away. I did hear the ref call it.

I think it was because when he gave up a questionable reversal he said something language wise where a team point was taken away. I did hear the ref call it.

I heard it too but I thought it was on the Cleveland State coaches.

Air Thurman it is commendable not to give up on a wrestler and you could be right. However he showed the same lack of stamina in high school. In his 3 matches he has also taken 3 injury timeouts. He is good from the top position but not very good on his feet unless he gets a throw and then his lungs come into play near the end of the 2nd period. He is young but with Mastro in the wings he has to improve vastly to ever make it on the mat. I hope he does but he and the coaches are going to have to work very hard on his conditioning.

Reactions: Air_Thurman

My first post about Balmeceda almost 1 1/2 years ago compared him to Eric Grajales, another highly ranked FL kid that went to Michigan and gassed nearly every match. The joke about Grajales was that he looked tired just getting off the bus. After watching Balmeceda since that point, I see nothing to change my opinion. But hey, it's nice to be optimistic.

My first post about Balmeceda almost 1 1/2 years ago compared him to Eric Grajales, another highly ranked FL kid that went to Michigan and gassed nearly every match. The joke about Grajales was that he looked tired just getting off the bus. After watching Balmeceda since that point, I see nothing to change my opinion. But hey, it's nice to be optimistic.
Wyatt had a great match against Rahmani ranked #19 and wins with great shots and a marvelous scramble at the end of the match for a takedown 6-2 final score. Sheets showed more offense in this match than he has all year. Is the light coming on?

Wyatt had a great match against Rahmani ranked #19 and wins with great shots and a marvelous scramble at the end of the match for a takedown 6-2 final score. Sheets showed more offense in this match than he has all year. Is the light coming on?
Joe Smith loses7-2 to De Le Riva from N Dakota St. He had no takedowns but had a reverse.Deleriva had3 takedowns.

Shocking joe Smith loses to North Dakota State Delariva and it wasn't even close. Joe is messed up.

Joe Smith loses7-2 to De Le Riva from N Dakota St. He had no takedowns but had a reverse.Deleriva had3 takedowns.

The NDSU kid wore Joe out from top and really zapped his energy.

Big wins for Reece and Wyatt in this round.

Taco gets thrown on his back and is pinned early in the first.

boy montalvo got put in a headlock and was just pinned in under a minute by someone from the navy prep school.....wild

Reactions: osu2082
Is NAPS a college program or a high school program? I looked and said it was a 10-month program to prepare for the Naval Academy.

Shocking joe Smith loses to North Dakota State Delariva and it wasn't even close. Joe is messed up.

Not to make excuses for him, but the kid he wrestled against was 26-11 last year, placed 3rd in the Big XII, and he's a 2X national qualifier. IMO Joe is the better wrestler, but not like he's a scrub. Disappointing nonetheless. Hopefully he gets it together and finishes out the tournament strong.

The NDSU kid wore Joe out from top and really zapped his energy.

Big wins for Reece and Wyatt in this round.
3rd match of day after making weight first time this year, kid didn't wear him out he isnt in shape.

3rd match of day after making weight first time this year, kid didn't wear him out he isnt in shape.

Wore his ass out because Joe isn’t in shape. When he was on he looked very explosive and talented as usual. Either way he broke him.

Reactions: oberebo
So the same Joe Smith we’ve seen for the better part of his career at OSU?
Quarter final matchups for OK St.
Pic v. Latona Va.tech, Witcraft vs.Phillipi Pitt, Hone vs. A.Madrigal GM,Gfeller vs.
Sparicio Binghampton, Sheets vs. K, Ho GM,Witlake vs. Jake Wentzel Pitt, Dakota vs. E.Laird Rider. Team score OK St. 39,Northern Colorado 38, NC State 36.5 but 8 in the quarters, Stanford36 and 5 , N Dakota St. 34.5 and 6, Rider 32, Navy 30.5,
Pitt 27.5 and 6. Quarters are scheduled to start at 6:30 PM CST

Well he has had wrestled here for 3 years and two of which have resulted in All American finishes. He is an extremely frustrating talent but let’s not go over board.
Team score after the last round of consolations 1. N.Colorado 40,5 and 5,2.OK State 39 and 7, 3. N. Dak.St. 38,5 and 6, 4. Rutgers38, 5. NC State 37.5 and 8.
Big 12 has the top 3 teams but I believe NC State will win the tournament. Too bad we did not have Boo as that could have been the difference.

Team score after the last round of consolations 1. N.Colorado 40,5 and 5,2.OK State 39 and 7, 3. N. Dak.St. 38,5 and 6, 4. Rutgers38, 5. NC State 37.5 and 8.
Big 12 has the top 3 teams but I believe NC State will win the tournament. Too bad we did not have Boo as that could have been the difference.

I think the team score is wrong. I don't think they gave Shomers the 1.5 points for the TF in his match. It should be 40.5 for oSu.

Last edited:
Witcraft loses dec. to Philippi 4-3. Looked great against a top 10 guy
Pic had a very tough match against Sam Latona of Va. tech but won 6-4. Both Hone and Gfeller won at 141 to get to the semis and Wyatt Sheets beat a seeded wrestler Kolby Ho 8-3 to get to the semis. Witlake looked good against Jake Wentzel of Pitt winning 7-3 so have 5 in the semis with Dakota still due to wrestle.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT