ADVERTISEMENT

Southern Scuffle

Mixed results tonight. Witcraft, Wittlake and Hone wrestled good. Gfeller, Picc wrestled okay and Geer wrestled poorly. I really liked how Wittlake wrestled tonight.
After the quarters this is the scoring.
1. OK St 67.5 5 in semis, 5 in consolations
2. N. Dak St. 2 in semis 8 in consos.
3. N.C.State 60.5 3 in semis and 8 in consolations
3. Rider 60.5 3 in semis,5 in consos.
5. Stanford 53.5 4 in semis and 3 in consos
6. Pitt 51.5 4 in semis and 3 in consos
7. No. Colorado 51 2 in semis and 6 in consolatons.
8. Rutgers 47 1 in semis and 10 in consos
Semis at 11am cst tomorrow:
125 Pic v. Caleb Smith app.St.
141 Kaden Gfeller v, Kyle Shoop Lockhaven
141 Dusty Hone vs. Real Woods Stanford
157 Wyatt Sheets vs. Hayden Hidlay NC State
165 Travis Witlake vs.Shane Griffith Stanford.
9. Lockhaven 42.5 2 in semis and 2 in consos
10. Navy 41 1 in semis and 7 in consolations.

Last edited:
After the quarters this is the scoring.
1. OK St 67.5 5 in semis, 5 in consolations
2. N. Dak St. 2 in semis 8 in consos.
3. N.C.State 60.5 3 in semis and 8 in consolations
3. Rider 60.5 3 in semis,5 in consos.
5. Stanford 53.5 4 in semis and 3 in consos
6. Pitt 51.5 4 in semis and 3 in consos
7. No. Colorado 51 2 in semis and 6 in consolatons.
8. Rutgers 47 1 in semis and 10 in consos
Semis at 11am cst tomorrow:
125 Pic v. Caleb Smith app.St.
141 Kaden Gfeller v, Kyle Shoop Lockhaven
141 Dusty Hone vs. Real Woods Stanford
157 Wyatt Sheets vs. Hayden Hidlay NC State
165 Travis Witlake vs.Shane Griffith Stanford.
9. Lockhaven 42.5 2 in semis and 2 in consos
10. Navy 41 1 in semis and 7 in consolations.

Realistically we are favored in 2 of the five matchups as Pic #1 seed is wrestling an unseeded wrestler and Gfeller #1 is wrestling #4 seed Hone was not seeded and is wrestling the #3 seed. Sheets was not seeded and wrestling #1 seed and Witlake #6 is wrestling #1 seed. However, Hone beat the #2 seed,

Mixed results tonight. Witcraft, Wittlake and Hone wrestled good. Gfeller, Picc wrestled okay and Geer wrestled poorly. I really liked how Wittlake wrestled tonight.

Pretty much agree. I will say just seeing Gfeller take the mat today and win all of matches is a big positive in my book (no matter how he looks).

Reactions: osu2082
Good question, wonder what he weighed in at
Kudos to all of our wrestlers today. For most part all wrestled well. Witcraft wrestled excellently against Phillipi who dec. Fix last year. Witlake looked better than I have seen him all year. Dusty Hone has already dec. the #2 seed at his weight Wyatt Sheets looks better than I have ever seen him. I think Dakota just was out muscled by his opponent. He did not look sluggish to me.

I was really impress how Witcraft handled himself with Phillipi. I also like how Taco fought in the backside after the pin. Didn’t see his first match but he came out blazing in his last match of the night.

Is NAPS a college program or a high school program? I looked and said it was a 10-month program to prepare for the Naval Academy.
The Naval Academy has incredibly high standards, so those recruits that don't quite qualify academically are given a year at NAPS to raise their standards before becoming actual cadets. In the meantime, they have been nominated and are candidates for the Academy.

I was really impress how Witcraft handled himself with Phillipi. I also like how Taco fought in the backside after the pin. Didn’t see his first match but he came out blazing in his last match of the night.

Witcraft was the aggressor and was in on several shots/attacks. Phillipi is a very good wrestler and Witcraft was right there with him.

Witcraft was the aggressor and was in on several shots/attacks. Phillipi is a very good wrestler and Witcraft was right there with him.
What a poor start for the day Witcraft gets jumped on early by Navy and he is out of the tournament.

Looked that guy up. He's solid, 3x state champ in ID, decent win/lose record, took a 2 year mission, so he graduated in 2014. Witcraft got his leg caught on the takedown which led to the 4 pt turn. It happens.

Bigger picture though...Witcraft is still only 18 and has some impressive skills. Both John & Chris have said they are trying to get him to trust his conditioning more and it's showing. He's finding his 2nd wind now and is the more aggressive wrestler right till the end. A lot of upside to him.

Schomers nearly pulled off a decent upset. Went to SV with a ranked kid.

Not able to watch the video from the live stats it looks like G stuck Shoop.

G pins Shoop in 2nd period trailing 2-0 when he reversed him to his back.
G rolled for the reversal, grabbed leg and drove and drove forcing Shoop to his back for the pin. A little like how he pinned nick Lee a couple of years ago. Both announcers noticed a limp by G which I think I remember he hurt his ankle. G has not shot many takedowns and sometimes has not reacted quickly( gave up takedown to Shoop). Would fit with an ankle that is not 100%. I saw fire come from G for that 12 seconds of wrestling.

Thanks, I knew that was a challenge.
Sheets lost 12-4 to Hidlay but he fought hard and almost had a takedown. He definitely looks better even in this loss than he ever has. I think he will be a factor this year. BTW some of the streams on flo including mat 2 on the Witlake match are not coming up.

Thanks, I knew that was a challenge.
Sheets was majored by Hidlay. He wrestled okay but just not in Hidlays league. He gave up 5 takedowns to 0 takedowns. Wittlake lost a close 4 to 1 decision to Griffith but Whittlake was never close to getting a takedown. Whitlake showed more than he ever has at Oklahoma State. I hope that he finishes this tournament well. Montalvo won on a last second takedown 3 to 1. Against a decent wrestler Montalvo can't score much. Pic wrestled solid and won by 6. Geer won 9 to 3. If Geer wants to wrestle 84 I would let him. 1 placer is better than 0 placers.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Sheets was majored by Hidlay. He wrestled okay but just not in Hidlays league. He gave up 5 takedowns to 0 takedowns. Wittlake lost a close 4 to 1 decision to Griffith but Whittlake was never close to getting a takedown. Whitlake showed more than he ever has at Oklahoma State. I hope that he finishes this tournament well. Montalvo won on a last second takedown 3 to 1. Against a decent wrestler Montalvo can't score much. Pic wrestled solid and won by 6.
Geer wins 9-3 in cons. semis.

Reactions: osu2082
For scoring purposes G and Woods is pretty big. Should be a good match. Stanford has had a really nice showing. They've got four in the finals and have a real chance to win all four.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT