ADVERTISEMENT

Southern Scuffle

G looked tentative to me, much like Boo did in his first few matches back. Sheets has stepped up his offense and looks a bit quicker to me, but he still gets caught flat-footed at times. Wittlake seems to be gaining confidence and had some very good matches. Hone did beat Wilson, but so did a couple of other people. Wilson could barely drag himself off the mat after his match with Dusty. Didn’t hear anything definite about why Joe defaulted, but there were a couple of interesting rumors. Geer is just too small for 197, especially since they are holding him within striking distance of 184. As usual, most of our guys looked smaller than most of their opponents, at least to me. This was our third time to attend the Scuffle and this was the smallest crowd by far.

Joe injured his shoulder early in that last match. He will be out a week or two.

Joe injured his shoulder early in that last match. He will be out a week or two.

Thanks for that info. I was pretty encouraged by Joe’s first two matches. In the first one, I believe, he needed a takedown in the last 15 seconds to get a major decision and he fought through and got it. Many times last season he didn’t even make the attempt.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
John made some comments last night.

3rd match of day after making weight first time this year, kid didn't wear him out he isnt in shape.

Basically said this exact thing. Said Joe will need to control his weight & put in the workouts to fix it.

Geer is just too small for 197, especially since they are holding him within striking distance of 184.

Said Dakota has been having trouble maintaining the weight for 197. Said they weighed him after day 1 when he was fully hydrated and he was only at 195. They want to get up to at least 205. Will work with Gary C & if he can't keep the weight on, they'll drop him to 184.

John made some comments last night.

Basically said this exact thing. Said Joe will need to control his weight & put in the workouts to fix it.

Said Dakota has been having trouble maintaining the weight for 197. Said they weighed him after day 1 when he was fully hydrated and he was only at 195. They want to get up to at least 205. Will work with Gary C & if he can't keep the weight on, they'll drop him to 184.
IMO he needs to drop to184. I am sorry if this affects Montalvo but we can medal at 184 with Geer but not at 197.

Reactions: KILLEVIDENT
Yes and last year his wrestling at 197 and not 184 screwed up the seeding and caused some tough matchups early.

I agree with Obe, I think you swap Geer & Montalvo. Montalvo is a battler, might not win a lot @ 197 but he'll compete hard.

With G & Joe back we're a solid dual team again. Seems like the focus is now on maximizing points at nationals. Based on the latest Flo rankings, we are projected to AA @ 125 & 149 only. Geer adds a 3rd @ 184, then you hope for G & Joe to round into form for 2 more. Wittlake is ranked 9th, so he could bust through also.

Reactions: osu2082 and oberebo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT