OKLAHOMA STATE VS. BUCKNELL

oberebo

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Oct 30, 2005
Shawnee,OK
125 Mastro vs. Seidman (16-11 rcd)
133 Fix vs. Kurt Phipps (19-8 rcd)
141 Young vs. Darren Miller #16 (13-2 rcd)
149 G vs. Kolby DePron (22-10)
157 Sheets vs. Nick Delp (12-11)
165 Witlake vs. #18 Zach Hartman (22-3) 2X AA 6th last year
174 Plott vs. Sam Barnes (7-15)
184 Geer vs. Logan Deacetis (16-14)
197 Stika vs. Mason McReady (14-12)
285 Surber vs. Luke Niemeyer (9-10)
Basically I see us with a possible sweep but Hartman is good at 165 and a 2XAA and Witlake is not wrestling like last year.
I believe Young will dec. #16 Darren Miller in a close match. I do not see anyone else challenging the other weights. I am going to predict a shutout with Witlake wrestling better in a close match.

Reactions: turfpoke
I guess UCO or NEO was not available?
I don't believe at this time we need tough competition we need a couple of impressive confidence building wins for the whole team so Bucknell and Oklahoma ( tougher dual) should give us that. We have lost 4 out of last 5 duals so we don't need real tough competition just before the Big 12's.

Reactions: osudog and turfpoke
I would hope Mastro doesn't wrestle. We don't need him for this dual & he doesn't need this match result. He needs to get healthy.
Mastro has had some tough luck this season with injuries. Most of these guys only have around 15 matches.

Cowboys win toss and select to start at 133.
Fix Tech Fall. 8 TDs, 2 NF, and reversal.
Carter Young 8-3 dec. I’m not sure what the bottom approach was in the 3rd.

Last edited:
9-3 Gfeller dec.
1st TD G, gave up a late reversal.
2nd quick G reversal. Esc Depron. TD G with :02 left.
3rd G rode him the entire period and got 2 NF at the buzzer.

Sheets and Delp.
1st: Sheets gives up a TD. Sheets appears to have hurt a rib reaching back for a leg.
Sheets calls injury time and then says let’s keep going.
Escape Delp 3-0.
2nd: Sheets down and gets the escape quickly. 3-1. TD Delp 5-1. Escape Sheets 5-2. Sheets is hurting.
3rd: Delp down. 2 NF sheets. Reversals Delp. 7-4. Esc Sheets 7-5. Sheets in on a shot. Time runs out. 7-5 for Delp.
11-3 Pokes lead.

165 Wittlake and Hartman. Returning all Americans. 4th and 6th.
1st: Wittlake shoots a low single, then changes over to double, but nothing. Wittlake counters a half shot with a single but gets flattened out. Travis needs a double to upper body in his arsenal. 0-0.
2nd: Hartman down. Wittlake hurt a knee. He’s up and back at it. Hopefully nothing too bad. Penalty point on Travis for something. 1-0. Escape Hartman 2-0.
3rd: Wittlake down. Then he chooses neutral. Wittlake gets taken down 4-0.
5-0 Hartman wins. 2 out of 4 matches have injured Cowboys. No more PBP for me.

I think it was going to be tough before those 2 injuries.
Well, who could have predicted 2 injuries tonight. I am sure Wyatt would have won. Then Witlake is injured again and obviously not the same injury. I don't remember him leg riding all year and he sticks in double flanker and injures his knee. He is not the same wrestler as last year. He can get in on his opponents but cannot finish and I think that was due to a chest (rib) injury and now that his leg is hurt he has no real chance to AA. Good to see Carter Young wrestle and finish aggressively on his shots and Plott looked good against an inferior opponent as did Stika and Surber just dominated. Not boding well for the post season but with Fix, G and Mastro we will end up outside of the top 8 if not the top 10. Never thought we would be in the top 3-4 even before Ferrari's departure and now it is a fight to make the top10.

Hayden Hidlay got elevatored by Lautt and pinned tonight. I hope Plott gets another shot at him.

Reactions: bwel9339
Given the level of competition, everything outside of Sheets & Wittlake felt really good.
Plott wasn’t going to let their losses affect him.
Stika win was nice and Surber flat out aggressive.

It would be cool if OSU offered a home & home to every B1G and ACC school.

Someone like Michigan State, Wisconsin, Purdue, Virginia Tech, Pittsburg would seem far more compelling this evening.

Oh well, fun night anyway.

Two things that I picked up tonight was we were generally going forward tonight with heavy hands. The coaches were constantly yelling it out and all but Sheets and after injury Witlake responded. The other big change was the coaches allowing Mastro and Young to go neutral. It made a difference in team score as both could not get off bottom when taken down. Witlake chose neutral also but he didn’t feel comfortable in the down position with his knee.

Reactions: JAY45
165 Wittlake and Hartman. Returning all Americans. 4th and 6th.
1st: Wittlake shoots a low single, then changes over to double, but nothing. Wittlake counters a half shot with a single but gets flattened out. Travis needs a double to upper body in his arsenal. 0-0.
2nd: Hartman down. Wittlake hurt a knee. He’s up and back at it. Hopefully nothing too bad. Penalty point on Travis for something. 1-0. Escape Hartman 2-0.
3rd: Wittlake down. Then he chooses neutral. Wittlake gets taken down 4-0.
5-0 Hartman wins. 2 out of 4 matches have injured Cowboys. No more PBP for me.
I heard the "Illegal Hold" call but didn't understand what he said. Did anyone catch it.

The other big change was the coaches allowing Mastro and Young to go neutral. It made a difference in team score as both could not get off bottom when taken down. Witlake chose neutral also but he didn’t feel comfortable in the down position with his knee.
I'm sure Mastro chose neutral to protect the knee (big match on Sunday), I must've missed the Young situation.

I'm sure Mastro chose neutral to protect the knee (big match on Sunday), I must've missed the Young situation.
I think Young chose down but could not raise his head much above the mat and seemed stuck. Carter was called for stalling then Bucknell was called for stalling and let Carter go after about a minute of riding Carter where it seemed Carter could not even move.

Mastro’s match tomorrow worries me.

Any update on Sheet and Wittlake?

I heard the "Illegal Hold" call but didn't understand what he said. Did anyone catch it.
I didn’t see anything on the video for an illegal hold. I didn’t see locked hands or a figure four on the body. Not sure what else that could have called there. I thought I heard the ref say something about “he pulled him back.”

Mastro’s match tomorrow worries me.

Any update on Sheet and Wittlake?
Mastro is going to have to fight through the rest of the season not 100% if he wants to get on the podium. Hopefully nothing gets worse.

I think Young chose down but could not raise his head much above the mat and seemed stuck. Carter was called for stalling then Bucknell was called for stalling and let Carter go after about a minute of riding Carter where it seemed Carter could not even move.
It was like Carter had his hips and knees stuck up under him and couldn’t move. Not sure I’ve ever seen anything quite like that. I don’t think Carter needs to choose down anymore this year.

Young was a big positive of last. Was able to finish more consistently. He could potentially really come on. Once he adds strength and size, he has the talent to be special.

They were way slow on calling stalling on Carter's opponent. Carter couldn't move because the guy was literally held one position with no attempts to do anything else. I'm biased of course but the Bucknell kid should've been called for stalling first because he was preventing any action from happening.

Reactions: osu2082
Young was a big positive of last. Was able to finish more consistently. He could potentially really come on. Once he adds strength and size, he has the talent to be special.
I agree with this. He's funky and slick and nearly every match has done some kind of move that I haven't seen before. Not that I'm an expert, but that gets me excited about his future for sure.

Maybe we will hear about Wittlake's and Sheets medical status at the dual today. Wittlake could not take down in that match because it appeared his knee wouldn't bend. A real concern.

It sounded like from Johns post match interview that sheets was going to be okay. He said he got a little “spooked” as he put it. He didn’t have any report on Wittlake though. Hopefully his knee isnt any worse than maybe a sprain if he was able to finish out the match and move around on it. I’m still concerned about Mastro. Looks like he’s got all sorts of ailments at the moment that are still holding him back.

Reactions: turfpoke and DPJ
It sounded like from Johns post match interview that sheets was going to be okay. He said he got a little “spooked” as he put it. He didn’t have any report on Wittlake though. Hopefully his knee isnt any worse than maybe a sprain if he was able to finish out the match and move around on it. I’m still concerned about Mastro. Looks like he’s got all sorts of ailments at the moment that are still holding him back.
Mastro: hand, knee, ankle…at least from reports. This sport is tough enough when healthy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT