ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year

Harleycowboy

All-American
Feb 23, 2006
Impossible to replace Perry, but Caldwell will be replaced by Dieringer who should be the favorite at 65. I thought replacing Morrison would be hard but Heil should be better at least at nationals. Rosholt will be easy to replace. Somewhere we need to get a top 97 hopefully John can find one. Our lineup could look like this: 125 Klimara jun., 133 Heil frosh., 141 Collica soph., 149 Kindig sen., 157 Blees frosh. 165 Dieringer jun., 174 Crutchmer soph., 184 Rogers soph., 197 Schaefer soph., HWT Marsden jun. We will be redshirting possibly Harding 133 , 165 Marstellar, 174 Rogers and possibly Blees but I don't see a good alternative at 157. Some of these guys need to really work hard in the off season if we are to win a title next year. Rogers not being able to beat Boyd is still stunning to me. Has he not worked hard in his stay at OSU or is there another problem like not having a upper weight coach. I thought he would be a potential star when he was recruited. You think it would hurt to have your family follow you here and you can't get in the lineup because you can't beat a guy who went 0 and 2 at Nationals. I hope that he rebounds from this year because we need him next year to be a strong wrestler.

I think Rogers should go to 174. I don't know the answers to 184 or 197 but it can't be any worse than this year. Marsden needs to get with the program and reshape his body and lose a few pounds. An offensive move or two would be nice.

Marsden did improve his shape a lot over the season. Looked improved a bit at NCAAs. Hopefully he learned bigger is not better.

With AD bumping up to 165, where will Marstellar wrestle next year? Maybe 174? From everything I've read, he's been ready to wrestle against NCAA competition for a few years.

This post was edited on 3/23 1:08 AM by PokeGrad05

Chance will RS ....and trade w ur champ in 2 years then all bets r off......my humble opinion. ;)

I think it will be an interesting year.

Eddie returns and I think he's inches away from really turning the corner.

Heil is anointed by many but there are other 33 in the room. Should be solid.

Collica will only get better

Kindig - enough said

57 could be Alex again, one of the redshirted freshmen (koo or torres) or marstellar. (Could crutch cut to here?)

If ringer does indeed move, obviously spot is his. If not crutchmer would slot well or maybe marstellar.

74 crutchmer or Rogers

84 Boyd or Rogers

97 Schafer

Hvw Marsden

Who knows what blows in the wind - transfer wise as well.

If we can slot well and stay healthy, I feel relatively okay about next year.

If perry and Oliver stay in the room. If a guy like jake Rosholt cane into the room ... I like our ability to get the most.

I think it could be a very good year. Lots of weights and lots of teams clearing out.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Wgt - % of starting - # of top 10 Graduating.
125 - Klimara - 75% - 1
133 - Heil - 75% - 8
141 - Collica - 100% - 1
149 - Kindig - 100% - 4
157 - Blees - 50% - 3
165 - Dieringer - 100% - 4
174 - Marstellar - 50% - 3
184 - Rogers - 25% - 5
197 - Schafer - 75% - 4
HWT - Marsden - 100% - 4

Rankings are from Intermat. This doesn't take into account any weight changes or transfers. Not many true freshman wrestle but their talent and the team needs can dictate the decision.

With a returning NC, a returning finalist and three others likely to be AA's (Mardsen, Kilmara and Collica) you have a very good base for a great season. There are a lot of highly regarded and talented wrestlers who will step into the holes and how they develop will tell the story but the pedigree is there.

Originally posted by Orangebomber:
125 - Klimara - 75% - 1
133 - Heil - 75% - 8
141 - Collica - 100% - 1
149 - Kindig - 100% - 4
157 - Blees - 50% - 3
184 - Rogers - 25% - 5
197 - Schafer - 75% - 4
HWT - Marsden - 100% - 4

Rankings are from Intermat. This doesn't take into account any weight changes or transfers. Not many true freshman wrestle but their talent and the team needs can dictate the decision.
Of this group, is there a leader? Not necessary just the oldest kid (Kindig), but maybe Dieringer? Hell, maybe Marstellar?

Again I do not see a good option at 57 other than Blees who I wish could redshirt. However if Blees will struggle making 57 for his career than he should wrestle this year because 65 and 74 are loaded weight classes for a lot of years. Crutchmer will never be a 57, Dieringer is going to 65, the redshirt freshmen are not real candidates unless they jump several levels in the off season. Heil looked good until the last open he wrestled where he wrestled poorly but did wrestle up a weight class 141. The only redshirt freshman who showed much as far as I know was Heil but his best match was against his teammate. Collica needs to get stronger in the off season. As I said in a previous post Schaeffer at 97 I think will be weak like we were all this year. Anyone know if we are after anyone this spring? Next year Smith, Kaid and the younger Marsden would be a good start to next years class. Anyone know who else we will be after.

You have a better chance of seeing marstellar at 57 than blees, in my opinion. I do think torres and koo will be given a chance, unless it's obvious one of the true freshman can come in and be ncaa ready. A guy who sat behind me at nationals, from penn, told me he thought chance could be a lifetime 57.

If you know anyone in the room, ask them how tough Schafer is. He's my pick to surprise.

A Pennsylvania h.s. coach I talked with said he thought Chance would have a hard time getting lower than 174.

We'll see - the guys behind us said he's about 5' 6" tops and that he wrestles 170 walking around in the low 160's.

I did see where Shaffer had a 19-1 record this year. Did he have some good victories in that record and who did he lose to? To me it seems rare when our secondary recruits end up all americans. Last one I remember was Jensen.

Everyone knows Chance is short, but he is very stocky and muscular - similar to Kolat's build. Personally I think 165 would the ideal weight for him, but if not then 174. I would be absolutely shocked if he could make 157.

Dean Heil was 14-3 with 7 falls and 3 tech falls not a stellar second tier record but I have no idea who he lost to and who he beat this year.

Originally posted by Harleycowboy:

I did see where Shaffer had a 19-1 record this year. Did he have some good victories in that record and who did he lose to? To me it seems rare when our secondary recruits end up all americans. Last one I remember was Jensen.
Pendleton?

Originally posted by Cowboy1989:
Everyone knows Chance is short, but he is very stocky and muscular - similar to Kolat's build. Personally I think 165 would the ideal weight for him, but if not then 174. I would be absolutely shocked if he could make 157.
I guess we'll see. I'm just repeating what I was told. Said he'd never cut weight. Still had some baby fat.

Im personally hoping chandler rogers roger scan slot into 74 in college. That kid has game.

No way Alex is at 57 next year. It is already known he is moving up. He will be a beast at 165 like he was this year at 57.

Originally posted by Harleycowboy:

Rosholt was something below a secondary recruit if there is such a thing. He was a one time state qualifier and didn't even start for Ponca HS until his junior year.

But still your right, the chance of a secondary recruit being an AA is low at any school. I think we would all rather have a Morgan McInstosh, J'Den Cox or Kyle Snyder ready to take over, but you can't have one of those at every weight. We hear a lot of positive things about Shaffer. AA is unlikely for him next year, but we'll be rooting for him.

I will echo what Cowguy said. We met one of the PSU wrestlers parents who are very involved in the PA wrestling scene and they raved about Chance and also said the plan when he was going to PSU was to go 157 next year so we will see.

Originally posted by osu1988:
No way Alex is at 57 next year. It is already known he is moving up. He will be a beast at 165 like he was this year at 57.
I know. I heard it straight from his mouth. He just did such a great job managing his weight the last month, thought there was a chance he could try one more year. If he could, and crutch could go 65 this year ... We could redshirt Chance.

Pretty sure alex has earned the right to do what he wants though.

Schafer lost in the RTOC finals to Wellington of Ohio who was seeded 8th at nationals and went 1-2. His best wins were probably Woods of Wyoming and Johnson (redshirting) of OU.

Originally posted by Orangebomber:
125 - Klimara - 75% - 1
133 - Heil - 75% - 8
141 - Collica - 100% - 1
149 - Kindig - 100% - 4
157 - Blees - 50% - 3
184 - Rogers - 25% - 5
197 - Schafer - 75% - 4
HWT - Marsden - 100% - 4

I agree with most of this. Although I have a few questions.

174 - I'm not sure how Marstellar could wrestle 174. That's a lot to ask of a freshman who is allegedly a 157-165 pound guy. Even someone as hyped as he is.

184 - Unless Rogers can learn to beat Boyd, I'm not sure how he starts over Nolan. Especially if he's only 25% chance. Does that mean Boyd's less than a 25% chance? What about Crutchmer? Who else is there besides those three?

Who do you think is naturally heavier - Dieringer or Marsteller? Any idea if Dieringer could go up to 174 and Marsteller 165?

It is a little early to be talking about who is going at what weight. Alot can change between now and then. Nobody is talking about Chandler Rogers and he is the real deal. 157/165/174 who knows until John tells us.

Possible lineup just guessing
125 ???
133 Heil
141 Dolan
149 Kindig
157 C Rodgers
165 Dieringer
174 Crutchmer
184 J Rodgers
197 Schaffer
285 Marsden
Collica RS, Marstellar RS

125 - Miller
133 - Heil
141 - Collica
149 - Kindig
157 - Blees
165 - Marsteller
174 - Dieringer
184 - Rogers
197 - Schafer
285 - Marsden

Miller may be our best option at 125. Heil will do well. Put Collica in the weight room, and bring him out in January. Kindig!

I think Blees could have a very impressive year as a true frosh. He is very physical and 157 is deep but doable. Michigan's Brian Murphy had a good true frosh year going 19-7 with quality losses to Green, Jordan, Alton, and Brunson, and wins over Alton and Ness. I mention him only because Blees hammered him at Fargo this past year.

Dieringer could be a monster on full feed, and, l think is a better wrestler than the top 174s. Rogers at 184 is a experiment in progress, and a lot of mat time may be the only answer for his success. Schafer is our man at 197, regardless.

Hope to see a major improvement in Marsden after his first full season (an All American season) on the mat

Unless some surprises come our way (Eddie), I think this could be an excellent lineup.

Ostatement- I like that lineup. I had not thought of Alex going to 174 but it could work and if it doesn't then reverse Dierenger and Marsteller. Like many I am still waiting on Rogers to improve at 184 but at this point not only can he not beat Boyd consistently he also can not beat people that Boyd beat. It is possible that Boyd will be the starter at 184 next year too since if you are counting on Rogers to improve than you have to think Boyd will also with another year in the room. Actually, Boyd made more improvement this year than Rogers. Rogers is a more skilled wrestler but he still needs to learn "he isn't in Kansas (Washington) any more".

I really don't like Dierenger going to 74, but I won't count the guy out. That weight lost the top 2 guys and is shaping up to be a buzz saw again next year. He'd have Kokesh, Brown, Evans, Storley and Wilps. At 65 he'd have Sulzer, Moore and Monk.

I also think the Dierenger figured out his weight control and that extra 8 pound allowance he will have next year will really benefit his strength and conditioning. I think he will bully guys as 65 with his strength. Like this year, it looked like practice wrestling guys a weight class beneath him. At 74, he will have to be tougher and smarter...which he is very capable of.

Then again, he was making one hell of a cut...maybe 74 would compliment him even more? I do believe that he would technique the weight to death and be in the hunt. I just don't think it will look as easy for him as it did 57.

Ob, It was Boyd's first tourney, I know, and l was fairly excited going in to see just where Boyd was . But l was pretty disappointed , not as to where he placed but as to where I think he can get. Not sure anyone else there can do any better, but at the moment, not as hopeful for Boyd as I had been. Maybe he'll shock me. He's a redhead, y'know. They seem to be fairly tenacious.

84 clears out a little doesn't it? Dean and Thomassuet stay, but you lose Ruth, Sheptock, Loder, Lofthouse, Steinhaus and some others.

Boyd could AA next year with some improvement!

Chase, at this point l'm just thinking on what will most benefit the team. I know some feel Alex has earned the right to name his weight. Smith may or may not agree. And l'd love to see Alex go up there and take all those guys out. I have no doubt he could do it.

I'd love to see it (Boyd). Would give us a tremendous boost.

This post was edited on 3/26 11:10 AM by ostatement

Originally posted by ostatement:
Chase, at this point l'm just thinking on what will most benefit the team. I know some feel Alex has earned the right to name his weight. Smith may or may not agree. And l'd love to see Alex go up there and take all those guys out. I have no doubt he could do it.
Yeah, I wasn't arguing. I may be thinking what is best for Dierenger instead of the team though?

I like his bonus point potential at 65 honestly. Those guys at 74 are boring stall experts and they have the strength to limit Dierenger to just edging them out. Honestly, I think an exciting guy like Dierenger going to the snoozefest at 74 is bad for the sport. But it may be best for the team?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT