ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year

Originally posted by Harleycowboy:

This lineup 25 Miller, 33 Heil, 41 Collica, 49 Kindig 57 Blees.65 Dieringer, 74 Crutchmer, 84 Boyd, 97 Shaeffer, HWT Marsden on paper will not beat Iowa on paper. Unless he really beats Crutchmer decisively Marsteller should redshirt. We need help next year or we should look to the next year. I looked at Iowa's projected lineup and I think we would be favored to win 3 or 4 of the matchups. I could be wrong about this but there is a part of me that thinks we should redshirt everyone we can unless we get some strong help. Beginning of the season we would be projected to have 3 all americans. Of course I know that several of our young wrestlers could improve a bunch and all American like Heil, Collica Crutchmer and possibly Blees if we do not redshirt him. Miller, Boyd and Shaeffer I don't even see a chance.
Harley, As you say, "I could be wrong about this" and I could be wrong about anything I say at this point a year away but I do not think you are correct in your last sentence. I just reviewed Austin Schafer's 16-1 record last year and he had a couple of good wins in a year he knew he was going to redshirt. His only loss was to #8 Phillip Wellington. He had a 10-5 win over #25 ranked Shane Woods who ended up 24-9 and an NCAA qualifier. He also had a win over Carl Broghammer in that same tournament (Reno tournament of Champions). Broghammer just completed his career at upper Iowa, A NCAA division II team where he had 142 wins and was a 3X All-American in Division II and had a 42-4 record his senior year. I believe Schafer will have a good chance to All-American in 2014-15.

Howe,

No Dixons on your forecast? Are they all three redshirting?

We better find a 125 pounder and quick. The kid who replaced Jarod did not look ready for D1 wrestling.

Micco: not that it matters in the scheme of things, but keep in mind Dave S. was a true freshman when he finished third at Oklahoma State, losing only to three-time champ Mark Churella in a controversial match.

SHP: I don't think Walt Garrison can make 149. He's too big. And not mention that he's 70 years old.

I don't think the Dixon's will make the lineup until they're juniors, so I'm sure they'll redshirt.

And I was thinking Garcia would be at '25. If he can't make '25, he sits on the bench, and Millhof would have to step up, don't you think?

Or how about seeing if Cody can clean Klimara up? lol

Originally posted by J. Carl:
Micco: not that it matters in the scheme of things, but keep in mind Dave S. was a true freshman when he finished third at Oklahoma State, losing only to three-time champ Mark Churella in a controversial match.

SHP: I don't think Walt Garrison can make 149. He's too big. And not mention that he's 70 years old.
Would Case Garrison be any more likely to make the weight? (he's listed in the NWCA Scorebook, and in my database, as Walter)

I do not see all this doom and gloom for Ok St next year. As far as 2014 AAs Penn State losses a lot more points in Ruth, Taylor and English compared to OSU losses of Perry and Caldwell. I feel Marsteller wherever he is at will be an immediate NCAA contender while others will rise to the occasion when they put the OSU singlet on.

I think his name is Case Walter Garrison, or Walter Case Garrison. At any rate, he goes by Case, and is on the OSU roster as Case. I went to school with Walt, a tremendous football player for the Cowboys -- OSU and Dallas.

Originally posted by wehweh:
I do not see all this doom and gloom for Ok St next year. As far as 2014 AAs Penn State losses a lot more points in Ruth, Taylor and English compared to OSU losses of Perry and Caldwell. I feel Marsteller wherever he is at will be an immediate NCAA contender while others will rise to the occasion when they put the OSU singlet on.
Not really doom and gloom, but we lost quite a bit of points with Perry, Caldwell and Kilmara. How we rebound at 125 is important, and we are going to need somebody to step up at the other weights.

We have three AAs in the room now and I was confident to give it to Klimara as a guy that was Top 8 this year, but his draw was rough. As it stands, we don't have a ton of AA points returning to put us in the hunt with Iowa, Ohio State and Edinboro(wouldn't mind seeing them win if it isn't us.)

But, we return the 5th most points (with Klimara.)

Possible starter next year is Austin Miller who transferred to us from Bucknell. He was 17-3 this year as a non-starter. His losses were to Thomas Gilman from Iowa in a close match 5-7. Also lost to Carpio 2-3 from Az. State. Carpio had a fall over #25 Brandon Jeske. He lost to Edilberto Vinas 3-5. His best wins were over Barlow McGhee (21-11) from Missouri and Joe DeAngelo (27-4) from N.C. State. He dec. Deangelo 9-3. He also won the recent National Tournament composed primarily of non-starters from various national teams. He may be a step below Klimara but is a capable replacement. We also have Zac Gentzler, Connor Cline returning and Dusty Hone from Utah will be on Campus this summer or fall.

chasepollard[/URL] - If Edinboro would win the NCAAs that would REALLY BE SOMETHING. I would also like that especially since Tim Flynn hails from Annapolis.

This post was edited on 4/1 5:49 PM by wehweh

Originally posted by wehweh:

chasepollard[/URL] - If Edinboro would win the NCAAs that would REALLY BE SOMETHING. I would also like that especially since Tim Flynn hails from Annapolis.

This post was edited on 4/1 5:49 PM by wehweh
I kind of find myself rooting for them often. They return some big points I think?

125 - was decent
133 - Schopp
141 - Port
149 - Habat, who is tough!
157 - newcomer
165 - no clue
174 - no clue
184 - Avery wasn't bad, could score some points in a cleaned out weight
197 - No clue
285 - No clue

Really, they aren't considered a serious threat...but I think they have a chance to do well at 133-149 with the 25 pounder and 184 making some noise.

Quote from the venerable J Carl Guymon:

"Micco: not that it matters in the scheme of things, but keep in mind Dave S. was a true freshman when he finished third at Oklahoma State, losing only to three-time champ Mark Churella in a controversial match."

Soooooo....you're basically just saying I'm right. Dave Schulz improved his All-American finishes after he went to OU. From 3rd at OSU, to 2nd and 1st at OU.

And keep in mind he won his national title over a 2x NCAA champ. So the circle is now complete.
This post was edited on 4/4 8:31 AM by MiccoMacey

yes, we all know that Stan Able was so great at developing wrestlers. His work with Gary Breece made him a National Champion. Maybe it was the fact that he left Gary alone that made Gary a National Champ!

Dusty Hone won the 2014 NHSCA Senior tournament at 132 pounds. His opponent in the finals was Sean Fausz who he dec. 6-4. I just got through watching the 2013 Fila Cadet Nationals where Fausz decisioned Rubio of Texas 11-0. It would seem OSU came out way better in the recruiting wars at 133 with Gary Wayne Harding and Dusty Hone. Hone may also be able to wrestle at 125 next year but looks big for the weight. Hone also decisioned a very good wrestler in Cub Yeager at 132 at the Reno Tournament of Champions this year.

Yeah, OU signed Rubio.

What do you guys think of Boo Lewallen? I know he's just a junior, but he's a 2x state champ.

Does OU have a good chance to land him? Is he a good DI candidate? Impressions of him at the next level?

In regards to Boo
I have heard he would be interested in OSU but I don't think they are recruiting him. I had heard previous he was looking at Nebraska. Yukon goes to their team camp. I have heard nothing about OU but it wouldn't surprise me as it would be closer than Nebraska.

boo wasn't a fan of osu a couple of years ago but boo went on a trip to osu (thanks to coach snider and coach thompson for badgering him to take the trip) this year and actually love the visit. he got a chance to meet some of the guys and coaches. he even took a picture with the pistol pete statue in gia and posted it on his twitter and fb. i have heard espo called Yukon's coach asking about him but i know ou guys are recruiting him hard. he rolled around with the garcia and actually had the edge on him this year. he does like nebraska a lot but osu has gained some ground and if we went after him it wouldn't shock me if he picked osu over ou. right now i think Nebraska is the front runner just because hes been down there so much with yukons team....

Thanks for that information thompsonja. He is a good D1 prospect.I only wonder with the logjam we have around his weight if it would be the best use of limited scholarship money. He may turn out to be better than Harding, Heil, Crutchmer etc. but doubtful at present. He will make wherever he goes a better team for sure.

to Micco: well, you should get better AFTER your freshman year. Also, Dave did not beat a 3-time NCAA champ when he won his title.

to Micco: well, you should get better AFTER your freshman year. Also, Dave did not beat a 3-time NCAA champ when he won his title.
Journalistic spin at its finest. All I know is Dave Schultz's highest placing at OSU was 3rd, while his lowest placing for OU was 2nd. I believe that stat is un-refutable. Combine that undisputable fact with the other undisputable fact that Tyler Caldwell never placed any higher at OSU than he did at OU (which seems to go against your theory of people getting better with age), and you've, once again, proven me correct.

J Carl is way more smarter than I am. I refuse to ever go against his sayings and teachings ever again.
This post was edited on 4/4 8:32 AM by MiccoMacey

Micco, you are sounding more and more like Spates. You need to take stalk in your family roots and back off when going against J. Carl.

Hey, I just can't sit idly by while someone disparages the work of Mike Sheets. He means to much to me, and this program.

just for the record: Sheets was 7th in 1981 at Princeton, wrestling up two weights; second in '82 at Ames, 1st in '83 in OKC and 1st in '84 at the Meadowlands. Now that's off the top of my head, so I stand to be corrected. Probably will look it up to make sure I'm not off.

I love Boo. I'm shocked that we aren't recruiting him. He won his first state title, essentially one armed.

Maybe it's just a numbers thing. There is a ton of lighter weight talent in Oklahoma. Could be they just don't see a slot for him.

I'll also tell you that we don't tend to recruit early. Cody seems to recruit harder - earlier. We've been able to win battles, because of who we are, but we will miss on kids - specifically because ou has them locked before we ever show interest.

I saw Tyrone in the airport a few weeks ago. He was here looking at boo.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

We are a big-time enough program to be able to recruit like that. Recruit the SURE THINGS early....then cherry pick kids who show the determination and discipline to compete in a program like OSU. Problem is we've missed on some sure things for various reasons....and those late-offer kids are getting harder to pry away from the likes of weaker, more helpless programs like your Nebraska's or your OU's. It's good for the sport, i'm convinced, but sucks for us sometimes.....

General post....has nothing specifically to do with any kid.

just for the record: Sheets was 7th in 1981 at Princeton, wrestling up two weights; second in '82 at Ames, 1st in '83 in OKC and 1st in '84 at the Meadowlands. Now that's off the top of my head, so I stand to be corrected. Probably will look it up to make sure I'm not off.

I bow to your greatness and wisdom. In my head, I've always thought of him as a 3x NCAA champion. I stand corrected on this issue.

Originally posted by MiccoMacey:

I bow to your greatness and wisdom. In my head, I've always thought of him as a 3x NCAA champion. I stand corrected on this issue.
Micco, "in your head" there are all manner of delusions. Please do not clutter up this board with them.

Originally posted by MiccoMacey:

Soooooo....you're basically just saying I'm right. Dave Schulz improved his All-American finishes after he went to OU. From 3rd at OSU, to 2nd and 1st at OU.

And keep in mind he won his national title over a 2x NCAA champ. So the circle is now complete.

This post was edited on 4/4 8:31 AM by MiccoMacey
J.Carl is right; Sheets was 7,2,1,1. Now throwing in my two cents; I believe if Dave had stayed at OSU he would have finished 3,1,1,1. That said, I'm glad he left because with Monday, Stewart, Schultz, Sheets, Schultz(if Mark had followed Dave) on the same team, I afraid Sheets would have been the odd-man-out. It might be just me but I would trade the possiblity that with the Schultz's we might have won the NCAA just to watch Mike throw in the leg and Ride-em cowboy.

Someone asked why Spencer lee was ranked ahead of Daton Fix. I watched a match where they wrestled freestyle and Lee tech falled Fix. Fix is a very good wrestler but Lee is a great wrestler. Hopefully Fix catches him before they get out of high school. The last day at this weekend's freestyle tournaments were disappointing both juniors and seniors. Again Jordan Rogers baffles me. How does Matt Reed tech fall him? His brother looked great a couple weeks ago and this week dropped some. Again almost everyone associated with the Cowboys on that second day did poorly. This includes my ND wrestler Blees getting technical falled by the younger Massa.

I thought that lee had teched fix, but I couldn't find it the other day. I agree it was a dissapointing day, but they did well. I find it hard to judge FS results without seeing the matches. I will withhold judgement until I have seen them. I'm curious of something happened in the Rogers/reed match that led to the FF in the next match.

I saw that Tanner Allen has committed to the Cowboys. He is a State Champion but probably close to a walk on. He is a HWT.

Anybody heard on how Chance is recouping from his injury? Do you think it will affect his shirt this year ?

I saw that Tanner Allen has committed to the Cowboys. He is a State Champion but probably close to a walk on. He is a HWT.
I may have posted this before, but Allen looks like a solid heavyweight prospect. He appears to be pushing the 285 limit and should be a good big body for Marsden to work out with. I don't think he has wrestled outside of the school season, so he may be a little raw. It may be a long shot, but I can see him developing into a quality starter. He and Weigel are great late additions to the class.

AZ, Chance did two clinics this past weekend and his recovery is on schedule. I don't know what that schedule is.

Originally posted by april racer:
AZ, Chance did two clinics this past weekend and his recovery is on schedule. I don't know what that schedule is.
Just being able to roll around is a great sign. As a fan, can't wait to see what this kid does at the next level. As a Hawk fan, not so much.

I watched 2 of Joe Smith's matches at the folkstyle nationals. He does not seem explosive or extremely quick or strong. However he is a very good wrestler. In college maybe a 3 time all American but maybe never win Nationals. He loses a few too many big matches. However at UNI after his senior year I saw John Smith take 4th at junior nationals. He got pancaked by another Cowboy recruit from Michigan I think for a pin in like 30 seconds. So obviously Joe Smith could advance several levels especially if he has his fathers work ethic and mental toughness. I watched the Valencia match and a consolation match against and Iowa wrestler. I see Smith at 49 but could grow into a 57.

I watched 2 of Joe Smith's matches at the folkstyle nationals. He does not seem explosive or extremely quick or strong. However he is a very good wrestler. In college maybe a 3 time all American but maybe never win Nationals. He loses a few too many big matches. However at UNI after his senior year I saw John Smith take 4th at junior nationals. He got pancaked by another Cowboy recruit from Michigan I think for a pin in like 30 seconds. So obviously Joe Smith could advance several levels especially if he has his fathers work ethic and mental toughness. I watched the Valencia match and a consolation match against and Iowa wrestler. I see Smith at 49 but could grow into a 57.
Harley, If you recall; John was 2,3,1,1 in High School and was the #1 recruit at his weight going into college. In his true Freshman season he finished 27-4-2 and was seeded 3rd at the NCAA championships where he won his first match by a fall. Then he was upset by Dan Foldsey of Cleveland State (10th seed) and was eliminated when Foldsey lost his next match. This would seem a somewhat less the auspicious for the wrestler who would become the greatest amateur wrestler ever; my condolences to Cael lovers out there.

Joe is on track to better his dad's High School record with a 1,2,1,1 record being quite likely. That #1 recruit will be tough to match; a 28-5 record (splitting the ties) would be a fine freshman year and perhaps a lofty goal while the #3 seed would loom large, indeed.

However, looking closely at John's Freshman losses you'll find that he lost three times to eventual National Champion, Kevin Darkus (although he did garner one tie); that's all of his losses besides the upset to Foldsey. His other tie was to Zimmer of Oklahoma who he defeated the other three times they wrestled that year. Beside the three wins over Zimmer who finished 7th that year, he defeated AA's Loomis (3rd) and Trizzino (4th). All in all; a fine Freshman season with a huge let-down at the end.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT