ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year

I watched several Kaid Brock matches at senior Nationals and other National tournaments. Very quick, good on his feet and even when he is getting smoked he is trying to score like against Escobedo or Tomasello. Getting Smith and Brock without using wrestling money should be a big advantage for us. Both are very good prospects.

Harley, why do you think we would get Kaid "without using wrestling money"? I'm sure he has probably always dreamed of wrestling for the Pokes but I would think it would be hard to turn down scholarship money if he was offered elsewhere.

Kev, I have heard this mentioned multiple times and I can only assume his family might be connected to the school, but I have no clue. There are multiple Brocks listed in the school faculty directory.

Originally posted by Harleycowboy:

Does anyone know which cowboys are wrestling in the university nationals and what weights?
Harley, I have heard from a dis-credited source that several of our wrestlers are in the University Nationals but I hesitate to quote him as he has proven to be wrong. They start today with the Cadet Greco and that has already started. I have perused the brackets and Oklahoma wrestlers that are entered include the following:
50kg Kaden Gfeller
46kg Mason Naifeh
54kg Dalton Duffield, Baylee Dye
58 kg Brik Filippo
76kg Lane Lettich

Also in GR is Pierce Gunnars at 63 kg.
In FS are all the above plus
Rhett Golowenski 39-42 kg
Daton Fix 54 kg
Jacob Fontanez 58 kg
Wyatt Sheets 63 kg

At universities FS are
Brian Crutchmer 61kg
Davey Dolan 65kg
Anthony Collica 70kg
Tyler Caldwell 74kg
Kyle Crutchmer 80kg
Nolan Boyd 86kg
Chris Perry 86kg
Austin Schafer 97kg
Austin Marsden 125kg

Thanks April. I hope we are more successful in freestyle cadet and University as all of the above entrants including Pierce Gunnars have suffered two losses. We have never emphasized and never been successful at Greco. Greco in my opinion is a very boring sport. It can have spectacular throws but you have to take 99% pummelling and pushing to get that 1% of excitement. I put Greco in the same category as Soccer and Ice Hockey. I would rather have a full mouth extraction than watch any of those sports.

Next years lineup I would guess to be Miller, Heil, Collica, Kindig,Blees, Dieringer, Crutchmer, Rogers, Schaefer and Marsden. Again I think we won't challenge until the next year. Then we may have Brock, Harding, Heil, Collica, Blees,Dieringer, Crutchmer, Rogers, Schaefer, Marsden. It would be nice for Dieringer to be on a national championship team. He should be 1 of our all time greats.

Originally posted by Harleycowboy:

Next years lineup I would guess to be Miller, Heil, Collica, Kindig,Blees, Dieringer, Crutchmer, Rogers, Schaefer and Marsden. Again I think we won't challenge until the next year. Then we may have Brock, Harding, Heil, Collica, Blees,Dieringer, Crutchmer, Rogers, Schaefer, Marsden. It would be nice for Dieringer to be on a national championship team. He should be 1 of our all time greats.
It would appear that given your lineup guesses for the next two years you believe that Chance Marsteller is going to underachieve for us. True, Dieringer, Chrutchmer, Rogers are in his way unless he can make 157.

Oh, I see; Olympic Red Shirt.

This post was edited on 5/29 7:35 AM by Old Number Nine

Again Kaid Brock looks like the guy that will come in and start as a true freshman. Looks very good especially considering he will only be a senior in high school next year. Rogers wrestled pretty good but Blees didn't. Also Kaid appears to look for the best competition like wrestling up a weight class in high school beating a defending state champ and wrestling against seniors and college guys this week.

Harley, Ryan Blees wrestled well. He lost to Chandler Rogers 6-4 and to another stud in Fox Baldwin and he is up a weight. Your pessimism is persistent. Ryan Blees probably ought not to enroll in school as he isn't any good.

I didn't get to watch either of Blees's matches today, but the ones I have seen excite me. He has a high motor and goes after it non-stop. I think with a little time on a college room he could become very good.

To be honest I grew up in ND and so I am hoping Blees becomes an all time great. But to be honest I do not think he should lose to Baldwin but it is just 1 day of wrestling. Plus I thought I was really positive about Brock and fairly positive about Rogers. I see Blees starting as a freshman or redshirt freshman at 57. Chandler Rogers may have a harder time getting in the lineup.

"To be honest I grew up in ND and so I am hoping Blees becomes an all time great. But to be honest I do not think he should lose to Baldwin but it is just 1 day of wrestling. Plus I thought I was really positive about Brock and fairly positive about Rogers. I see Blees starting as a freshman or redshirt freshman at 57. Chandler Rogers may have a harder time getting in the lineup."

Don't worry about oberebo, Harley. He's been in deep depression ever since he learned you don't win a championship for third place. He's just lashing out at everyone right now.

Originally posted by april racer:
I didn't get to watch either of Blees's matches today, but the ones I have seen excite me. He has a high motor and goes after it non-stop. I think with a little time on a college room he could become very good.
I have said it before...I think Blees will end up being the "steal" of his recruiting class. Yes, he has lost to some top talent but he is hardnose and determined. Wish Iowa had got him.

Either Blees or Weigel will be the "steal" of this class. Weigel maybe more of a steal because he is coming in without the hype of a Blees, Rogers, Marstellar or Harding. This class is scary good.

This is now improved with Klimara at 25, Heil 33, Collica 41, Kindig at 49, Blees 57, Dieringer at 65, Crutchmer at 74, Rogers at 84, Schaefer at 97, and Marsden at HWT. A good lineup but not a great lineup. However lots of potential for improvement with this lineup.

I think I just want to see how wrong I can be so I am going to post my prediction for next year's lineup in July. I do reserve to alter this lineup in November just before the season starts. At this point I probably am only about 50%.

125 As I see it at present we have four choices at this weight and in no particular order they are Conner Cline, Zac Gentzler, Eli Hale and Austin Miller. There is too much uncertainty to include Eddie Klimara in this group. My pick is Austin Miller in a close battle.

133 We have at least 6 wrestlers that could wrestle this weight. The group includes Bryan Crutchmer, Dean Heil, Lincoln Lemon, and new recruits Gary Harding, Dusty Hone and Mike Magaldo. The most heralded coming out of high school was Dean Heil but he has been a mystery in his first year and had only a so-so year as a redshirt wrestling mostly at 141. He has not separated from the pack at this weight and apparently would prefer to wrestle at 141. At this point I am going with Bryan Crutchmer unless a fire gets lit under Heil. The new recruits will all benefit from a year in the room and show good prospects for the future.

141 This group is smaller and consists of Anthony Collica, Case Garrison and possibly Dean Heil. There has been a lot of talk about red-shirting Collica this year and getting him stronger and more prepared to take over for Kindig at 149 in a year. I can not see that myself and my choice is Anthony Collica who I believe will be stronger. He has an engine and very good skills and I look for him to improve greatly on his freshman year.

149 Josh Kindig is a returning All-American and will have this spot on the team barring injury or misfortune. The others at this weight include Davey Dolan, Matt White, Sam Mehan and Michael Martin.

157 I hope I am not missing anyone at this weight but I see three wrestlers competing in Keilan Torres, Ryan Blees and
Chris Koo. Ryan Blees may be the best of the group but I believe a year in the room will immensely help him. Chris Koo is my initial choice at this weight but if Blees improves by leaps and bounds he may be the starter John goes with late in the year.

165 Alex Dierenger will be the starter and will be a 2X national champion after this year. Others include Chris Koo, Colton Thomas and star recruits in Chance Marsteller and Chandler Rogers.

174 Kyle Crutchmer will most probably be the starter at this weight but depending upon how super-star Chance Marsteller adjusts to College he could break into the lineup later in the year although I see it as Crutchmer with Marsteller redshirting.

184 Jordan Rogers and Nolan Boyd will again battle to see who will be the starter at this weight. I like the grit and determination of Boyd but last year he showed an ability to beat himself by mistakes and going for broke and He needs to show more patience and wisdom in his preparation. Jordan Rogers came in as the super star of the class and had for him what was a disappointing season. I hear he is training to get bigger and stronger and if this happens coupled with his big move ability I believe he will win the sport in a hard fought battle. He could be the wrestler that makes the most improvement over his freshman year. Nolan Boyd will push him all the way and it could be close.

197 Austin Schafer will be the starter at this weight and should have a very strong year. He is big and strong and very skilled. Preston Weigel as a freshman will redshirt and hopefully improve his strength and skills in the room.

285 Austin Marsden will be our heavyweight. New recruit Tanner Allen appears to be the only other option at this point.

I have probably left off some wrestlers in doing this off the top of my head but maybe others have opinions that are better and more knowledgeable than mine. I do not think that any of the weights are set in concrete except for 165 where Alex will reign barring injury. A few of our new recruits could break the lineup but I only really see that possibility in either Blees or Marsteller Only a fool would predict the lineup this far off from the season this winter but I think I more than capably fill that slot.

Good post Oberebo but this fool has Marsteller at 157 this coming season. There are a few reason but the one that stands out is he will be a top 5 by the end of the season if not higher. Pretty good lineup and if we can get Klimara back look for the team to be in the top 4 at Nationals. If things go our way you just never known (hope).
This post was edited on 7/5 12:35 PM by mike tognetti

Mike, this is one of the variables that I had not thought of when I said a lot of things could change. Supposedly, one of Chance's problems with Penn State and Cael was that Cael was insisting on him being a 165 pounder and he wanted to wrestle 174. This might or might not have been true but if he did not want to pull to 165 then 157 sounds too small. However, I am not saying you are wrong. If he could make it to 157 then Blees etc. could redshirt and we would be very strong there. I like the idea but do not know if it is possible.

Everyone hopes Eddie will be back wrestling at 125 but I appears to be highly unlikely. We would be much stronger with him in the lineup I agree. As it stands now we will be weaker at 125 and 133 but just as strong or stronger with Collica back at 141. We have a 2nd place finisher at 149 with Kindig. I agree if Marsteller were to be able to pull to 157 we have a chance to All-American with a freshman at this weight. We will be stronger at 165 and that is saying something with Caldwell at that weight last year. Obviously, we will not be stronger at 174 as Perry nearly impossible to replace but Kyle Crutchmer could be a force at 174. I look for either Jordan Rogers or Nolan Boyd to be stronger than they were last year and we will be much stronger at 197. Austin needs to pick up his offense at heavyweight to be an All-American but I believe he can do that if he trains hard with this in mind. We could be stronger next year than last when almost everyone was saying we would fall off this year. A couple of other things have to fall in place like Dean Heil dropping to 133 and living up to his hype.

All I will say is that came from the people that was protecting Cael and PSU wrestling program during that time. Every one that has been around Chance has said he is a team player so time will tell. If he can get down to 157 and wrestle well he will be at 157. Ryan Blees can redshirt and the next year Chance can redshirt during Alex Dieringer last year.

Oberebo your early projection of a lineup, I think would be disappointing. The smaller Crutchmer at this point would not do well. That is just my opinion. Miller at 25 or Koo at 57 I think we would struggle. With this lineup I would say redshirt everyone that we can. I hope that Heil goes at 33 as you indicate could happen. Speaking of 33 at the duals I saw a couple of Hardings matches and to be honest he did not look good. Against Minnesota Brock lost but still looked like the better wrestler. Surprising Fix got beat soundly against Minnesota but he was wrestling a senior. Rogers looked way smaller than the Minnesota wrestler but that step over was fantastic. Any soon to be juniors from Oklahoma that looks like stars?

People with AA potential for next season 125 Kilmara 133 Heil 141 Collica( I think redshirt) 149 Kindig 157 Marsteller( if he can make it) 165 Dieringer 174 Crutchmer 184 Rogers 197 Schafer Hwt Marsden. Pretty solid lineup for St Louis.

DJ, I agree with all of your predictions for AA with the exception of Klimara who I am almost certain will not be in the lineup next year. This is also tempered by a little uncertainty on my part about Heil at 133 and Marsteller at 157. Marsteller is very short however he is also very thick so whether he can make the pull to 157 is my concern. Heil is a mystery. He should be at 133 but will he be so I say the jury is till out on that weight.
Harley, I realize my very early picks are a disappointment but at this point I think they are realistic and we have to wrestle with what we have and do the best we can and not what we would want in all instances.

i'm heading up to the room next week so hopefully i can have some news concering kilmara heil and marsteller. when i was down a few weeks ago the word was marsteller is a 65 pounder but its early in the summer and john has been in and out with camps and now on the recruiting trail so nothing is set in stone yet. i'm excited as everyone to see what happens...... on a side note im excited about the recruits this year as well. we are in with piccinni stroker and hayes. if we can get one of them that will be great, if we dont get any we are still fine because we have some quality commits already.

I have faith we will get one of them but I think a few people will be surprised at who, and how it will workout. I'm excited about this upcoming recruiting class and with what is coming in will be back to back loaded classes. John and company is loading up for a title hunt in a couple of years.

Originally posted by oberebo:

Everyone hopes Eddie will be back wrestling at 125 but I appears to be highly unlikely.

DJ, I agree with all of your predictions for AA with the exception of Klimara who I am almost certain will not be in the lineup next year.
Why?

This post was edited on 7/7 8:10 AM by Old Number Nine

Took a while but that's the end of the year lineup I see.

This post was edited on 7/8 3:48 PM by jammenz

We can hope that is the case but the odds do not look good at the moment. I hope this will change in the future.

I do not like the position I am in. It looks like I am trying to indicate that I am the holder of all information pertaining to Eddie. I do not have any information from any coach wrestler or fan but I do have information that anyone that looks can possess. I just do not to be the one that posts it on this board. I hope this can change in the future but that is yet to be seen. I should have just not said anything regarding Eddie but sometimes I just do not exercise good sense. I can not say anything more on the subject.

You are not claiming to be in the know anymore than the rest of us. I will not hold you to any speculation.

My thoughts on Eddie are he really worked hard for something and was very focused. His dissapointment when he did not achieve AA status was devastating. I watched someone else in a differant field that felt the same dissapointment and took to substance to deal with the devesation. They dealt with the issue got refocused moved completely away from the substance and is achieving their goals at a very high level. I see this so much in Eddie and know that he put tons of pressure on himself.

It is not that he did not care, it was he cared too much and was trying to succeed at a weight where he was just too small. He pretty much won his morning matches when the other wresters did not have time to recover from the weight pull and lost his eveing matches. If Eddie redshirts most likely he will grow a little and add some muscle and his dreams will be achieved. He just cares too much not too little.

I hope Heil goes to 33 especially considering he did poorly at a post season tournament at 41. I did not know these guys who beat him and wrestled at schools that usually don't beat cowboy wrestlers. With a previous post on Jordan Rogers working sixe and strength this offseason my thought was why he did not do this the previous year?

I watched quite a few matches in the last 24 hours. Oberebo you are right about Blees in the fila juniors he was so close to beating Rogers. His match against Massa was very close at Fargo. Smith got the first 3 takedowns on Blees in Fargo but once Blees broke him maybe literally that was the match. I watched a number of Keagan Moore matches and I think we need to get him especially if he can wrestle 33. He beat Harding easily, beat Shearer from North Dakota easily and could have beat Thorn. Kaid really froze at the end of his match with the Minnesota kid on that takedown. The matches I watched with Joe Smith were not impressive but he looks smaller than the guys he is wrestling(McFadden and the Pen. kid for 3rd. The Pen kid dominated him. If Kaid might not be able to stay at 25 we better recruit a real good 25 because we are weak here with what we have..

Harley I agree that Kaid froze or just had a mental lapse at the end of his match but a takedown would not have beaten him as he was up six at the time. He let his arm get trapped and was turned ad nauseum for his opponents win. Credit to his his opponent but I still think Kaid was the better wrestler. I also agree that if Kaid grows much next year he will be hard pressed to make 125. The top weights (197 & Heavy) and the lowest weight would then be the priorities. I am still predicting Austin Miller at 125 this year and he might surprise a bunch of people. After watching Moore (really for the first time) in 4 of his matches at Fargo he is definitely a priority but he looked big and maybe a 141 pounder in college. I also do not put a lot of credibility in a 10-0 tf in freestyle. I did not see the Harding/ Moore match but it could have consisted of a takedown and 4 guts or leg laces. Gary Wayne has lost a little of his luster but he has the ability. My feeling is that he puts himself in too many dangerous positions going for his takedowns or throws and gets caught. I am not writing him off.

good morning. i have been reading post and watching video of fargo and the past jr filas as well. i for one do not put a lot of credibility in freestyle results as well. i like keegan moores athletic ability and progress the past few months but i have watched his folk style matches this past year against gary wayne and kaid brock at 132 and i can say they both beat him pretty handily. with the added ridding time that can negate a lot of the take downs you see in freestyle. freestyle fit some guys better than folk. i do believe that keegan has a lot of great up side but i believe that about all of our recruits. whats going to separate them from the rest is there ability to adapt, learn and not allow the toils of college life to affect there drive for the sport of wrestling.

I see Tristan Moran committed to the Cowboys which is not a surprise. I don't see him as starting in his career but he probably has potential with very hard work to start and possibly all American at some point in his career.

I just saw that Lincoln Olson committed to the cowboys. Looks to be a 41 who is rated in the 60's as a recruit by intermat. Placed 7th twice in fargo and a 3 time Michigan state champ.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT