ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA PORTAL

Are we entirely sure the new regime wants the transfers? They may be focusing on implementing their culture/style more than bringing in a couple of one year guys. I'd love to add both of them, but in the grand scheme DT and co. may have other priorities.
I agree but someone like Alirez has a ton of senior level potential. With him it could be more than a one year play.

Are we entirely sure the new regime wants the transfers? They may be focusing on implementing their culture/style more than bringing in a couple of one year guys. I'd love to add both of them, but in the grand scheme DT and co. may have other priorities.
An astute observation

Reactions: cearle462
Damn we got @HighPlains_Drifter on the board now!!
This is awesome.
Show Down Clint Eastwood GIF by Maudit
You mean Marshal Duncan, right?

Reactions: AtownPoke and driad
RTC was a focal point for DT. Alirez is the most senior level ready. He could be our USA rep at the next cycle. Guarantee DT wants to have his hands in that.

These kids have been given the opportunity to set themselves up in the future with the NIL. Why would they not take advantage of it? I do not get why any of you would hold it against them if they do or did. This is life changing money for these kids and I am happy for the ones that are able to take advantage of it!
I hate it with a passion but I understand the rules are the rules and they have to really weigh their options.

I just think in a world where Keck can turn down life changing money to stay at UNI… Alirez could at least act like it’s not a pure money decision

I hate it with a passion but I understand the rules are the rules and they have to really weigh their options.

I just think in a world where Keck can turn down life changing money to stay at UNI… Alirez could at least act like it’s not a pure money decision
Better than saying the pure money decision was “gods plan”……

If your aspirations long term are the Olympics, then a wrestler needs to discount NIL except if the NIL is coming from where the RTC is located that he wants to be associated with. DT and Snyder have proven that a ton of money and opportunity is available in the long term if you are successful in the int'l arena. Some young kids see the dollar sign without thought of whether it's the right choice. The right RTC has a higher ROI than NIL in my very humble opinion.

If your aspirations long term are the Olympics, then a wrestler needs to discount NIL except if the NIL is coming from where the RTC is located that he wants to be associated with. DT and Snyder have proven that a ton of money and opportunity is available in the long term if you are successful in the int'l arena. Some young kids see the dollar sign without thought of whether it's the right choice. The right RTC has a higher ROI than NIL in my very humble opinion.
I agree with your point while also noting that it’s a very short list that can make it that successful

Reactions: Pennstate1985
I agree with your point while also noting that it’s a very short list that can make it that successful
Then that's who you recruit. I know, easier said than done but if you as a coach evaluate those with that sort of potential, you do everything possible to bring them into the program. I guarantee DT is doing that. The chess versus checkers thing.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
These kids have been given the opportunity to set themselves up in the future with the NIL. Why would they not take advantage of it? I do not get why any of you would hold it against them if they do or did. This is life changing money for these kids and I am happy for the ones that are able to take advantage of it!
I’m not bashing him desiring a paycheck.

I’m bashing his approach and very public nature of obtaining one. He could keep his mouth shut on social media and explore his options quietly.

Instead, he’s diminished his membership with a new team, his old team and possibly a future RTC.

Nobody is bigger than the Program.

I’d rather have a team trophy than a merc title or two.
You’re making a total judgement call on a kid just based on him shopping his services?

We are probably alike in ways; I’m fairly old school like you…that said, this is the way of the world these days. Not to mention, a major reason OSU has fallen as far behind as they have.

Nobody is bigger than the Program.

I’d rather have a team trophy than a merc title or two.
To your point, and nobody crucify me, but I was a huge Kentucky fan and when John Calipari came in and started recruiting the one-and-doner’s, I stopped liking the team (don’t attack me for being from Kentucky or being a Kentucky fan)

Reactions: chasepollard
You’re making a total judgement call on a kid just based on him shopping his services?

We are probably alike in ways; I’m fairly old school like you…that said, this is the way of the world these days. Not to mention, a major reason OSU has fallen as far behind as they have.
Yes, you and I generally similar in views and opinions.

Where I think our differences show here is that we disagree on a kids approach.

Shop yourself and get the best deal…I 100% understand, agree and don’t like it. But it is what it is.

What I don’t like, and maybe you missed it was his social media post saying he going after the school that can pay him the most. Go get your money, but be discreet and business like about it.

That, and only that disqualifies him from joining my crew. You can’t allow that type of mindset in building something…it’s malignant.

Yes, you and I generally similar in views and opinions.

Where I think our differences show here is that we disagree on a kids approach.

Shop yourself and get the best deal…I 100% understand, agree and don’t like it. But it is what it is.

What I don’t like, and maybe you missed it was his social media post saying he going after the school that can pay him the most. Go get your money, but be discreet and business like about it.

That, and only that disqualifies him from joining my crew. You can’t allow that type of mindset in building something…it’s malignant.
Agree

Reactions: chasepollard
Chase the best deal just pretend you aren’t. I don’t understand that mindset. We have Starroci bragging about being the highest paid wrestler. I’m guessing Penn Stare will survive. Not the time to be prudish.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
To your point, and nobody crucify me, but I was a huge Kentucky fan and when John Calipari came in and started recruiting the one-and-doner’s, I stopped liking the team (don’t attack me for being from Kentucky or being a Kentucky fan)
Gross

Reactions: bwel9339
Chase the best deal just pretend you aren’t. I don’t understand that mindset. We have Starroci bragging about being the highest paid wrestler. I’m guessing Penn Stare will survive. Not the time to be prudish.
If you don’t think there’s a fracture in Happy Valley, you are not paying close enough attention.

The mindsets of the Starocci type is weakening the levy. Will it be enough for the fall? I doubt it but I’d bet money on Cael putting some reigns on it.

Storroci is a stud, but watch what he, Brooks and maybe Nickal conjure up in the future…near or far.

Prude and respect are different disciplines.

If you don’t think there’s a fracture in Happy Valley, you are not paying close enough attention.

The mindsets of the Starocci type is weakening the levy. Will it be enough for the fall? I doubt it but I’d bet money on Cael putting some reigns on it.

Storroci is a stud, but watch what he, Brooks and maybe Nickal conjure up in the future…near or far.

Carter makes me uneasy. Great wrestler but I've always felt that you let your wrestling speak for you and not social media. I am not a fan of social media. What is that saying? "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt". That's social media.

I agree regarding Cael. I don't think he especially loves NIL as it brings an element of financial competition and potential jealousy among teammates and that sort of disunity is dangerous. For the sport as well. Small schools lose good wrestlers to well financed larger schools. Regarding the Kentucky BB example, what do you think Michigan wrestling fans think these days? Half the roster seems to be new every year. That would get old and fast if I were a fan of that team.

I’ve had the same thoughts. They are as elite as anyone Cael has ever had but they are different and not in a good way. I’d add GK to the list. He’s alot like Brooks without the voice of a 4 timer

Reactions: Cowboy Tommy
Carter makes me uneasy. Great wrestler but I've always felt that you let your wrestling speak for you and not social media. I am not a fan of social media. What is that saying? "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt". That's social media.

I agree regarding Cael. I don't think he especially loves NIL as it brings an element of financial competition and potential jealousy among teammates and that sort of disunity is dangerous. For the sport as well. Small schools lose good wrestlers to well financed larger schools. Regarding the Kentucky BB example, what do you think Michigan wrestling fans think these days? Half the roster seems to be new every year. That would get old and fast if I were a fan of that team.
100%

Reactions: AtownPoke
Basketball is now all brand new rosters every year, no matter where you are. Many football teams are moving that way as well.

I don’t like it either; it is what it is at this point.

As someone who is concerned with the overall health of the sport, hopefully we will eventually get to some place of stability and consistency.

In a perfect world, Allirez stays at UNCO.

In the world we live in, you do what you can to get a guy who will be 1/10 that wins an NC.

Especially if you are going to demand OSU get back on the level (general statement).

It’s not make or break for OSU; it does help solidify pursuit of #2 next year.

In this near term period, which doesn’t seem to be the future state…Allirez is going be an individual NC for someone, why not OSU?

Last edited:
I agree it’s the best for the sport if Alirez goes back to Northern Colorado. If Alirez decides he wants to come here I would welcome him with open arms. Do I like the comment he made about going to the highest bidder? No I don’t at all. But if David Taylor and his staff feel comfortable enough to bring him in, I’m all for it. At his press conference he preached culture and hit that point home. He’s not going to bring in anyone that would hurt the culture. He’s going to bring in guys that would add to the culture. Let’s see how it all plays out but if DT is good with bringing him in that’s good enough for me. If DT doesn’t feel like he’s the greatest fit, I’m good with that too. In DT I trust.

Basketball is now all brand new rosters every year, no matter where you are. Many football teams are moving way as well.

I don’t like it either; it is what it is at this point.

As someone who is concerned with the overall health of the sport, hopefully we will eventually get to some place of stability and consistency.

In a perfect world, Allirez stays at UNCO.

In the world we live in, you do what you can to get a guy who will be 1/10 that wins an NC.

Especially if you are going to demand OSU get back on the level (general statement).

It’s not make or break for OSU; it does help solidify pursuit of #2 next year.

In this near term period, which doesn’t seem to be the future state…Allirez is going be an individual NC for someone, why not OSU?
Because it has potential to hurt the development of his new culture and building of a program the way he wants it built. He wants guys that love Wrestling and want to be at OSU, he was very explicit there. He never once said that he wants to purchase the best odds at a weight to win a title.

I really doubt he wants to start off with a money merc, which is exactly what Alirez is with his ignorant comment.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
Because it has potential to hurt the development of his new culture and building of a program the way he wants it built. He wants guys that love Wrestling and want to be at OSU, he was very explicit there. He never once said that he wants to purchase the best odds at a weight to win a title.

I really doubt he wants to start off with a money merc, which is exactly what Alirez is with his ignorant comment.
Time will tell🤷🏼‍♂️

Reactions: AtownPoke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT