ADVERTISEMENT

Next Years Lineup

Did Boo and G have a situation where one more year greatly improved their chances for individual and team title??? and I mean greatly.

It’s just an apples and oranges situation imo. And once again this wouldn’t be one wrestler making a decision on a year with limited upside. This would be a group making a commitment together for a potentially large payoff
This is interesting. It seems that, because you don’t like the portal, you are extrapolating that they don’t like the portal and therefore won’t use it. The truth is, we don’t know. They’ve got 4 Portal Guys this year. They came in and looked at the talent in the room, and immediately added Amine (who you opposed, after adding Hendrickson). Prior to that, they went for Alirez. Seems like at least a decent read on how they may feel about the portal.

If we believe they are going to model after Penn State, Penn State has used the Portal liberally.

And if you’ve been around any high level coach for about 5 minutes, you know they want to coach the most talented athletes, no matter how they get them (within the the rules of course).

We also have no idea on the reshirting scenario as of right now.

Which brings us to an equally plausible scenario to the RS scenario: OSU goes with the best guys this upcoming season, places as high as they can place, generates positive momentum, and adds the best 3-4 athletes from next years portal. They could easily challenge in the next few years by adding the right guys in the exact same way PSU has added guys like Dean, Truax, and Mesenbrink.

Last edited:
This is interesting. It seems that, because you don’t like the portal, you are extrapolating that they don’t like the portal and therefore won’t use it. The truth is, we don’t know. They’ve got 4 Portal Guys this year. They came in and looked at the talent in the room, and immediately added Amine (who you opposed, after adding Hendrickson). Prior to that, they went for Alirez. Seems like at least a decent read on how they may feel about the portal.

If we believe they are going to model after Penn State, Penn State has used the Portal liberally.

And if you’ve been around any high level coach for about 5 minutes, you know they want to coach the most talented athletes, no matter how they get them (within the the rules of course).

Which brings us to an equally plausible scenario to the RS scenario: OSU goes with the best guys this upcoming season, places as high as they can place, generates positive momentum, and adds the best 3-4 athletes from next years portal. They could easily challenge in the next few years by adding the right guys in the exact same way PSU has added guys like Dean, Truax, and Mesenbrink.
I’m not against the portal. My problem was with Amine’s style (And my initial take on Amine was before the RS talk started.)

My words were that transfers should be the “cherry on top” if you’re recruiting like you’re supposed to.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12

Last thing I’ll say about it.. there’s no right answer to this. It’s just message board conversations. I think getting upset about the potential of winning a gold and a team championship is silly and you think asking them to stay an extra year could run them off. It’s all good

Last thing I’ll say about it.. there’s no right answer to this. It’s just message board conversations. I think getting upset about the potential of winning a gold and a team championship is silly and you think asking them to stay an extra year could run them off. It’s all good
Where did I say anything about running anyone off? That doesn't make sense and has not been a part of my case.

It seems you are locked into this idea that if they mass Redshirt, they are for sure going to win a National Championship in 2026. All I've said is, it COULD work out, but is not a guarantee. Going all in this year and adding next year's Alirez, Hendrickson, Hamiti, and Amine could work out as well...and is also not a guarantee.

Its two different approaches. I'm not saying I'm right...my argument is that the scenario of using the portal vs. mass Redshirts seems far more common for this day and age.

Last edited:
I am not sure how redshirts on these transfers helps OK State this year or next. If they redshirt, Thompson cannot improve with a redshirt this coming season. Merrill is forced into the lineup as a true freshman, when a redshirt will definitely help his development. As far as the team goes, you either have a better year with the transfers this year or next. When you look at both, I feel it's better to let them wrestle this year, rather than "punting" this year. But whatever DT decides to do, I am betting it all works out!!!!!

Both

The only down side is immediacy of fan interest and impatient donors feeling fulfilled as @JAY45 pointed out.
With what the fans have endured the past 10 years, one more year won't hurt fan support. We will still have several good wrestlers to watch and see what development takes place during the year. Can the redshirting wrestlers be able to wrestle a match or two without affecting their 'shirt?

Reactions: bwel9339
I am not sure how redshirts on these transfers helps OK State this year or next. If they redshirt, Thompson cannot improve with a redshirt this coming season. Merrill is forced into the lineup as a true freshman, when a redshirt will definitely help his development. As far as the team goes, you either have a better year with the transfers this year or next. When you look at both, I feel it's better to let them wrestle this year, rather than "punting" this year. But whatever DT decides to do, I am betting it all works out!!!!!
We have zero chance of winning the title next year even with the transfers. The following year, PSU graduates 4-5 studs and the team title will be more wide open. Plus, how good can Hendrickson, Plott, Hamati wrestle after having an extra year of training!

Where did I say anything about running anyone off? That doesn't make sense and has not been a part of my case.

It seems you are locked into this idea that if they mass Redshirt, they are for sure going to win a National Championship in 2026. All I've said is, it COULD work out, but is not a guarantee. Going all in this year and adding next year's Alirez, Hendrickson, Hamiti, and Amine could work out as well...and is also not a guarantee.

It’s two different approaches. I'm not saying I'm right...my argument is that the scenario of using the portal vs. mass Redshirts seems far more common for this day and age.
I never said guaranteed. It’s just a much much better chance and I don’t see how that arguable. Clearing out O’Toole, Keck, CStar and GK is a big deal. Having these guys in the room with each other for a year is big deal. Giving ourselves a year for the lower weights to develop and sort theirselves out is a big deal.

The only what ifs are unforseen issues like injuries and those things have just as much of a chance to be true this year as next.

This discussion is all about probability and birds in the hand.

The probability of us winning in 26 once the multi timers and PSU diminish some is higher than it is this year.

And capitalizing on the talent we have in the room has to be a priority over just burning through guys with the expectations of landing 3 more multi time AA guys and another Plott for 26.

• Haha
@JAY45 imo, you are overvaluing the portal moving forward.

Not one of these guys we got this year would be there next year. Their eligibility would be exhausted.

This is the last round of grad transfers with an extra year of eligibility. Will there still be portal opps, yes, but I don’t believe it will be as many strong AA grad transfer types available?

I could be wrong?

If the transfers that can redshirt take a redshirt this year, below is how I see Penn State vs OK State the following season. Who scores the most points come March? Penn State does not rebuild, they just reload. I truly believe that letting these transfers wrestle this year helps the team in the long run. The development of the young wrestlers on the roster and recruiting the best high school wrestlers is crucial to rebuilding OK State wrestling. I feel like development of wrestlers at OK State got stale, with DT and the coaches he has and will bring in, that will not happen again.

125: Lilledahl vs Spratley
133: Davis vs Sakamoto/Hughes
141: Nagao vs Hughes/Jamison
149: Van Ness vs Jamison/Williams
157: Kasak vs WIlliams/Travis
165: Messenbrink vs Fish/Lockett
174: Haines vs Hamiti
184: Barr/Ryder vs Plott
197: Mirasola/Barr vs Carroll
HWT: Mirasola/Cochran vs Hendrickson

• Love
Reactions: AtownPoke
@JAY45 imo, you are overvaluing the portal moving forward.

Not one of these guys we got this year would be there next year. Their eligibility would be exhausted.

This is the last round of grad transfers with an extra year of eligibility. Will there still be portal opps, yes, but I don’t believe it will be as many strong AA grad transfer types available?

I could be wrong?
Penn State has been plugging and playing NC caliber guys every year. There will be a handful of elite guys in the portal. There are every year in every sport.

We have zero chance of winning the title next year even with the transfers. The following year, PSU graduates 4-5 studs and the team title will be more wide open. Plus, how good can Hendrickson, Plott, Hamati wrestle after having an extra year of training!

I never said guaranteed. It’s just a much much better chance and I don’t see how that arguable. Clearing out O’Toole, Keck, CStar and GK is a big deal. Having these guys in the room with each other for a year is big deal. Giving ourselves a year for the lower weights to develop and sort theirselves out is a big deal.

The only what ifs are unforseen issues like injuries and those things have just as much of a chance to be true this year as next.

This discussion is all about probability and birds in the hand.

The probability of us winning in 26 once the multi timers and PSU diminish some is higher than it is this year.

And capitalizing on the talent we have in the room has to be a priority over just burning through guys with the expectations of landing 3 more multi time AA guys and another Plott for 26.
These scenarios seem to imply that Penn State will be static. They will reload & will use the portal if they have to.

I seems like big assumption to think that, even if OSU Redshirts guys, they will be able to knock off PSU in 2026. They might, we'll see.

I'm confident OSU is going to start getting guys with equal or better talent moving forward; there seems to be two equally plausible scenarios.

With what the fans have endured the past 10 years, one more year won't hurt fan support. We will still have several good wrestlers to watch and see what development takes place during the year. Can the redshirting wrestlers be able to wrestle a match or two without affecting their 'shirt?
The quote is the least charitable interpretation of my point. I'm at nearly every home dual, and make road trips.

My point: next year is a huge year for interest and momentum. There will be more eyes on the program than there has been in quite a long time. It seems like a good idea to put your best foot forward. As hard as it might be to see: There will be more guys of both Dustin Plott and Dean Hamiti's caliber, not less.

I'll be there no matter what.

@chasepollard, I take your point that there is excess supply due to the pandemic. That said, there will still be elite/top level guys. Penn State and Iowa have been picking them off each year. It would be interesting to review some actual numbers. Guys like Truax, Mesenbrink, Dean, Nagao.

These scenarios seem to imply that Penn State will be static. They will reload & will use the portal if they have to.

I seems like big assumption to think that, even if OSU Redshirts guys, they will be able to knock off PSU in 2026. They might, we'll see.

I'm confident OSU is going to start getting guys with equal or better talent moving forward; there seems to be two equally plausible scenarios.
So let’s play this out… By your statement above we can conclude that you’ve already written off ‘25 and for the most part ‘26 as well, but going into ‘26 you admit that PSU will have holes that they’ll need to fill through the portal. Now since we shot out load with all of these fantastic transfers in a losing effort on ‘25… we’ll also be in the position where we need to try and reload with multiple AA level transfers (just to keep up).
The only problem is that now (unlike this offseason) PSU in back in the transfer portal game and there will be 3 bluebloods instead of 2 going after the shrinking pool of elite transfers... Not to mention we’ll now be a year removed from the DT hiring hype train and we’ll have just got our teeth kicked in by PSU again even though we threw our full stable of AA transfers at them. A full stable that likely fails to improve their finishes in a meaningful way due to the wall of multi timers standing in their way.

So now that all that’s occurred we’re supposed to out recruit and outpace the established PSU program when they have a way better proven record, a better talent foundation and head to head finish against DT/OSU with our massive haul of transfers and Plott.

Steep hill to climb.

Give me the development year in ‘25 and a higher chance (I don’t care if it’s slight) in ‘26 all day long.

Jay I think you’re a kicka$$ wrestling fan and I love your point of view on this board (lol except this one) but we’re a million miles apart on this one. Only bad can come from firing all our torpedoes this year imo.

Have a good Memorial Day

@chasepollard, I take your point that there is excess supply due to the pandemic. That said, there will still be elite/top level guys. Penn State and Iowa have been picking them off each year. It would be interesting to review some actual numbers. Guys like Truax, Mesenbrink, Dean, Nagao.
Yes, there will be less supply.

But, with the new ruling, maybe not? I don’t see the new ruling changes things that much.

PSU will continue to pick off talent and I think we will too.

I just see 26 as a shot at sneaking one in. I know you showed the head-to-head which still shows them a tad better. The tourney is a different animal than a dual.

But, there are several hammers that exhaust eligibility which should (perfect world) improve the points scored by Plott, Hamiti and Hendrickson.

They’ll still be hard to top in 26, but if we don’t do it then, our next shot is likely a few years down the road.

So let’s play this out… By your statement above we can conclude that you’ve already written off ‘25 and for the most part ‘26 as well, but going into ‘26 you admit that PSU will have holes that they’ll need to fill through the portal. Now since we shot out load with all of these fantastic transfers in a losing effort on ‘25… we’ll also be in the position where we need to try and reload with multiple AA level transfers (just to keep up).
The only problem is that now (unlike this offseason) PSU in back in the transfer portal game and there will be 3 bluebloods instead of 2 going after the shrinking pool of elite transfers... Not to mention we’ll now be a year removed from the DT hiring hype train and we’ll have just got our teeth kicked in by PSU again even though we threw our full stable of AA transfers at them. A full stable that likely fails to improve their finishes in a meaningful way due to the wall of multi timers standing in their way.

So now that all that’s occurred we’re supposed to out recruit and outpace the established PSU program when they have a way better proven record, a better talent foundation and head to head finish against DT/OSU with our massive haul of transfers and Plott.

Steep hill to climb.

Give me the development year in ‘25 and a higher chance (I don’t care if it’s slight) in ‘26 all day long.

Jay I think you’re a kicka$$ wrestling fan and I love your point of view on this board (lol except this one) but we’re a million miles apart on this one. Only bad can come from firing all our torpedoes this year imo.

Have a good Memorial Day
Same to ya. Can’t get on board with black & white thinking/scarcity mindset (“only bad came come”…).

We’ll agree to disagree. Enjoyed the interaction. Hopefully we’ve helped each other sharpen our arguments.

I’m out as well, have a great rest of the day!

In my mind, to dethrone PSU at nationals is going to take a minimum of like 4 Champs, 7 AAs, and loads of bonus points. The bar is MUCH higher than it used to be and no other team has even been remotely close lately. So IF one of Taylor's primary goals (and maybe it's not) is to win one in the next two years there is NO rational choice other than to redshirt these older studs and throw everything we have at them in 2026 just to have a good chance. Otherwise it won't even be close in 2025 or 2026. Having said that I don't know if winning in 2026 is what Taylor plans to shoot for. It depends on what strategies coach feels will best develop the program. But again if anyone is wanting to have a serious discussion about winning it all in the next two years, the path is very obvious, as far as the shirts go.

That’s not an accurate characterization of my sentiment.

Furthermore, even though we know DT is going to take all the best learnings and experiences, it won’t play out in cookie cutter fashion to what happened at Penn State. There will be nuances & differences.

It was interesting that Askren didn’t mention anything about redshirting.
I wasn't trying to characterize anyone's sentiment. I simply stated that the post reminded me of that. I agree that I highly doubt DT follows Cael's playbook. It will be different because the two situations are different. Can we all agree that it will be year 3 before any of his recruits will be wrestling at NCAAs (2027)? The main question prior to that is how best to support the recruiting effort, because long term, that's what sets up the program. Recruiting. So what is the best path that speaks the most to recruits?

To me, the best path has individual national champions in the bio line in the next two years. It's great to place 2nd as a team, or even 1st, but to high end recruits who have national and int'l aspirations, they want a coaching staff that helps them reach their goals. See Iowa 2021 title as a real example. After all, if you help enough kids reach their goals, the team title will come along for a free ride. If you wrestle everyone next year, you may not get any national champs, and then in 2026, you may not get any either. So after two years the coaching staff isn't able to show the 2028 recruits any champions. On the other hand, if you redshirt this year, then in year two, it's likely you have at least two champions, and that is something Taylor can sell to recruits. I have coached national champions. I can make you one as well. Those national champions stay around at the RTC and help the team grow more national champs.

That's how I see it. I may be completely wrong, but I would do it that way. Focus on developing national champions asap.

Last edited:
Reactions: chasepollard
I wasn't trying to characterize anyone's sentiment. I simply stated that the post reminded me of that. I agree that I highly doubt DT follows Cael's playbook. It will be different because the two situations are different. Can we all agree that it will be year 3 before any of his recruits will be wrestling at NCAAs (2027)? The main question prior to that is how best to support the recruiting effort, because long term, that's what sets up the program. Recruiting. So what is the best path that speaks the most to recruits?

To me, the best path has individual national champions in the bio line. It's great to place 2nd as a team, or even 1st, but to high end recruits who have national and int'l aspirations, they want a coaching staff that helps them reach their goals. See Iowa 2021 title as a real example. After all, if you help enough kids reach their goals, the team title will come along for a free ride. If you wrestle everyone next year, you may not get any national champs, and then in 2026, you may not get any either. Possible but no sure thing. So after two years the coaching staff isn't able to show the 2028 recruits any champions. On the other hand, if you redshirt this year, then in year two, it's likely you have at least two champions, and that is something Taylor can sell to recruits. I have coached national champions. I can make you one as well. Those national champions stay around at the RTC and help the team grow more national champs.

That's how I see it. I may be completely wrong, but I would do it that way. Focus on developing national champions asap.
That's exactly as I see it. If coach decides to use the redshirt everyone strategy, in 2026 OSU has the following title contenders in my mind:

HWT: Hendrickson
197: Carroll
184: Plott
174: Hamiti
165: Lockett

I don't have a strong feeling that anyone at the bottom five weights would be a title contender, not to say somebody like williams couldn't sneak one in. So in 2026 that's five guys that in my mind have strong chances of winning a title. Throw in some all Americans from the other weights and that's a legit championship caliber team. If you don't use the shirts, 3 of those title contenders are gone and PSU rolls again.

In my mind, to dethrone PSU at nationals is going to take a minimum of like 4 Champs, 7 AAs, and loads of bonus points. The bar is MUCH higher than it used to be and no other team has even been remotely close lately. So IF one of Taylor's primary goals (and maybe it's not) is to win one in the next two years there is NO rational choice other than to redshirt these older studs and throw everything we have at them in 2026 just to have a good chance. Otherwise it won't even be close in 2025 or 2026. Having said that I don't know if winning in 2026 is what Taylor plans to shoot for. It depends on what strategies coach feels will best develop the program. But again if anyone is wanting to have a serious discussion about winning it all in the next two years, the path is very obvious, as far as the shirts go.
Exactly!

It’ll be several years and dependent on if DT can snake a few difference makers in the next two classes and we are still outside looking in.

If the mass RS happens, we may lose a guy or two that does very well…Cael did.

But, Plott and Hendrickson have title shots! Hamiti has a crack at one. Plus everybody else has a full year in the room with the Staff.

I think we can challenge in 2026 with lots of AAs, champs and finalists.

But, I think if we just role and go, we see a lot of guys improve, and still possibly see a few finalists, maybe a champ and we make some serious noise.

Either way, this is fun!

That's exactly as I see it. If coach decides to use the redshirt everyone strategy, in 2026 OSU has the following title contenders in my mind:

I don't have a strong feeling that anyone at the bottom five weights would be a title contender, not to say somebody like williams couldn't sneak one in. So in 2026 that's five guys that in my mind have strong chances of winning a title. Throw in some all Americans from the other weights and that's a legit championship caliber team. If you don't use the shirts, 3 of those title contenders are gone and PSU rolls again.
Mark it down! Spratley will be eating thunderstorms and crapping hail wrapped tornadoes!

Spratley wins one before he leaves college!

I forgot about Teague being that small…he was an animal.

But yeah, same year as Cross, like 121 and 128 or something like that?

Yeah I knew it was either 97 or 98. That year was pretty significant to me bc I had just started wrestling maybe a year or two before that and absolutely idolized John Smith and OSU as a kid. Watching those two guys win really motivated me to try and wrestle like them. Both were fast paced and aggressive.

These redshirts could set us up for 2026 possible team champions (Hendrickson, Plott and Hamiti) because each could get in the finals and win in 2026. The real key though is the development of our top recruits in the next 2 years. I think these young recruits have a chance to be National Champs , Cael Hughes, Ren Sakamoto, Jordan Williams, Ladarion Lockett, Brayden Thompson, Christian Carroll, and Cody Merrill. This redshirting we are talking about could have the most impact on Merrill and Thompson. I really do not want to lose Merrill or Thompson if he is committed to being the best. Wasting a year of theirs could be unacceptable but if we do the redshirt stuff then Merrill could wrestle HWT and Thompson 184 this next year and redshirt 2026. Good problems to have but I would like to work things out where every one of these wrestlers mentioned fits in. Never seems to work that way though. We will see. I have always said 2026 is our next chance to be National Champs. I think we have the talent now, but development will tell the story. Even with the redshirting we could have a real good team in 2025. 125 Spratley, 133 Hughes, 141 Jamison, 149 Williams, 157 Travis, 165 Amine, 174? Heeg, 184 Thompson, 197 Carroll, HWT Doucette or Merrill. We will see what the staff decides to do.

These redshirts could set us up for 2026 possible team champions (Hendrickson, Plott and Hamiti) because each could get in the finals and win in 2026. The real key though is the development of our top recruits in the next 2 years. I think these young recruits have a chance to be National Champs , Cael Hughes, Ren Sakamoto, Jordan Williams, Ladarion Lockett, Brayden Thompson, Christian Carroll, and Cody Merrill. This redshirting we are talking about could have the most impact on Merrill and Thompson. I really do not want to lose Merrill or Thompson if he is committed to being the best. Wasting a year of theirs could be unacceptable but if we do the redshirt stuff then Merrill could wrestle HWT and Thompson 184 this next year and redshirt 2026. Good problems to have but I would like to work things out where every one of these wrestlers mentioned fits in. Never seems to work that way though. We will see. I have always said 2026 is our next chance to be National Champs. I think we have the talent now, but development will tell the story. Even with the redshirting we could have a real good team in 2025. 125 Spratley, 133 Hughes, 141 Jamison, 149 Williams, 157 Travis, 165 Amine, 174? Heeg, 184 Thompson, 197 Carroll, HWT Doucette or Merrill. We will see what the staff decides to do.
2026 potential lineup 125 Spratley jun. 133 Sakamoto Fr. 141 Hughes soph. 149 Williams jun. 157 Travis sen. Fish sen. 165 Fish sen. or Lockett Fr. 174 Hamiti sen. 184 Plott sen. 197 Carroll Soph. HWT Hendrickson sen. This is a very strong team with lots of potential finalists.

2026 potential lineup 125 Spratley jun. 133 Sakamoto Fr. 141 Hughes soph. 149 Williams jun. 157 Travis sen. Fish sen. 165 Fish sen. or Lockett Fr. 174 Hamiti sen. 184 Plott sen. 197 Carroll Soph. HWT Hendrickson sen. This is a very strong team with lots of potential finalists.
If we go through with it I think you’ll see Lockett or another transfer at 165 and Hamiti at 174 in ‘26.

My prediction for ‘26 if we can keep everyone on roster and progressing considering DT likes to let people grow.

125- Troy
133- Rin / McComas / transfer
141- Cael
149- Tagen
157- JWill
165- Dee / transfer
174- Hamiti
184- Plott
197- CC
285- Wyatt

Last edited:
How is Sakamoto doing? From the limited info on the internet he wrestled in 2023 world junior for japan in 61 kg and came in 7th. Which basically doesn't tell us a lot about his ability. I see Lilledahl at 133 at 2026 for PSU and Nic Bouzakis who I think are both better than Rin, so winning will be very difficult for Rin.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT