ADVERTISEMENT

Next Years Lineup

How is Sakamoto doing? From the limited info on the internet he wrestled in 2023 world junior for japan in 61 kg and came in 7th. Which basically doesn't tell us a lot about his ability. I see Lilledahl at 133 at 2026 for PSU and Nic Bouzakis who I think are both better than Rin, so winning will be very difficult for Rin.
Nothing like taking guesswork speculation and being counted out months before you even step on campus.

If we go through with it I think you’ll see Lockett or another transfer at 165 and Hamiti at 174 in ‘26.

My prediction for ‘26 if we can keep everyone on roster and progressing considering DT likes to let people grow.

125- Troy
133- Rin / McComas / transfer
141- Cael
149- Tagen
157- JWill
165- Dee / transfer
174- Hamiti
184- Plott
197- CC
285- Wyatt
That lineup looks about right. Looks like a championship team to me.

Reactions: AtownPoke
These redshirts could set us up for 2026 possible team champions (Hendrickson, Plott and Hamiti) because each could get in the finals and win in 2026. The real key though is the development of our top recruits in the next 2 years. I think these young recruits have a chance to be National Champs , Cael Hughes, Ren Sakamoto, Jordan Williams, Ladarion Lockett, Brayden Thompson, Christian Carroll, and Cody Merrill. This redshirting we are talking about could have the most impact on Merrill and Thompson. I really do not want to lose Merrill or Thompson if he is committed to being the best. Wasting a year of theirs could be unacceptable but if we do the redshirt stuff then Merrill could wrestle HWT and Thompson 184 this next year and redshirt 2026. Good problems to have but I would like to work things out where every one of these wrestlers mentioned fits in. Never seems to work that way though. We will see. I have always said 2026 is our next chance to be National Champs. I think we have the talent now, but development will tell the story. Even with the redshirting we could have a real good team in 2025. 125 Spratley, 133 Hughes, 141 Jamison, 149 Williams, 157 Travis, 165 Amine, 174? Heeg, 184 Thompson, 197 Carroll, HWT Doucette or Merrill. We will see what the staff decides to do.
If Hendrickson shirts, who would be the starter between Doucet, Merrill and Surber? I know Merrill is very talented, but he would be very undersized and a true freshman next year - that's a bad combination at heavyweight.

If Hendrickson shirts, who would be the starter between Doucet, Merrill and Surber? I know Merrill is very talented, but he would be very undersized and a true freshman next year - that's a bad combination at heavyweight.
Doucet. Merrill needs body by glass for a year. Surber just had surgery.

It’d be nice for Merrill to focus on freestyle with the CWC this year and gray shirt, Doucet can continue to put people to sleep at the end of the lineup.

Reactions: chasepollard
I have no idea what any wrestler wants to do but am I way off base to think Merrill is the type of talent that having him after a rs might not be much of a drop off from Wyatt? No shot at Wyatt, I am just asking if I am being unrealistic to think Merrill could be a champ like I think Wyatt can be

Reactions: TheJimReaper
I have no idea what any wrestler wants to do but am I way off base to think Merrill is the type of talent that having him after a rs might not be much of a drop off from Wyatt? No shot at Wyatt, I am just asking if I am being unrealistic to think Merrill could be a champ like I think Wyatt can be
He’s good, but predictions in comparison to Hendrickson with an 18 year old is a bad venture.

He is intriguing good though!

Mark it down! Spratley will be eating thunderstorms and crapping hail wrapped tornadoes!

Spratley wins one before he leaves college!
Spratley and Davis (psu) are the only sophomores going into next yr ranked in the top 10. Replace Davis with Liledahl or however you spell it. Now here's the thing, Troy is a career 125 and beat last years champ and a couple other highly ranked guys and was right there w/ other AAs. Ayala didnt do much his first year and then took a big jump. I think we see the same with TS and between guys moving up and others graduating I think its very realistic that Spratley could win a title before he's done. The guy works freaking HARD (like twisted off in the head hard lol) and he now has Gilman to help him. Gilman will help Troy improve his defense guaranteed.

Spratley and Davis (psu) are the only sophomores going into next yr ranked in the top 10. Replace Davis with Liledahl or however you spell it. Now here's the thing, Troy is a career 125 and beat last years champ and a couple other highly ranked guys and was right there w/ other AAs. Ayala didnt do much his first year and then took a big jump. I think we see the same with TS and between guys moving up and others graduating I think its very realistic that Spratley could win a title before he's done. The guy works freaking HARD (like twisted off in the head hard lol) and he now has Gilman to help him. Gilman will help Troy improve his defense guaranteed.
My thoughts exactly.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
I have resisted posting this, but my memory is Figueroa had just come back from an injury and many time a wrestler doesn't wrestle his best for a few matches and gets in better shape and form as the season progresses. I think a lot of Spratley but I have thought some on this forum over rate that major decision. Spratley is good and should be considered high All American potential. I did watch him mess up matches several times where he was clearly the better wrestler in fact I believe it cost him being an All American last year. He got wild and too aggressive against Tanner Jordan and got reversed and ground and pounded for over a minute on the bottom and wasn't anywhere near the wrestler he was at the beginning of the match. He is good and should be an All American this year but I need to see him being more consistent and not lose it at the end of matches. Sorry but that is my view

I have resisted posting this, but my memory is Figueroa had just come back from an injury and many time a wrestler doesn't wrestle his best for a few matches and gets in better shape and form as the season progresses. I think a lot of Spratley but I have thought some on this forum over rate that major decision. Spratley is good and should be considered high All American potential. I did watch him mess up matches several times where he was clearly the better wrestler in fact I believe it cost him being an All American last year. He got wild and too aggressive against Tanner Jordan and got reversed and ground and pounded for over a minute on the bottom and wasn't anywhere near the wrestler he was at the beginning of the match. He is good and should be an All American this year but I need to see him being more consistent and not lose it at the end of matches. Sorry but that is my view
Valid. But I think we see the improvement you're looking for this year.

Reactions: bwel9339
Don't disagree here either.

But, the TG with Fix effect is going to pay dividends for these lower weights. I would bet you see a noticeably different match process with these guys.

Cost him big 12 championship as well. Kid will make the right adjustments. I see 3 time AA with ability to win a title.

That's my view as well.

That's my view as well.
Speaking of Spratley. Flo just posted this

I wonder if that is why PSU doesn't always have hammers at 25, 33 and 41 as compared to 65 and up?

It has to be super hard to have guys that naturally walk around close to those weights?
4 national champions, six finalists and a 3rd placer at 133 and 141 just since 2021. And the 133 lber is now wrestling down at 57 kilos.

Last edited:
4 national championships and six finals appearances at 133 and 141 since 2021 and the 133 lber is now wrestling down at 57 kilos.
The drought really is just at 125. Nothing since Nico in 2016, and it hasn't really been close. The injury bug has hit this weight harder than most, which is unfortunate since it's a tough weight to have adequate backup.

4 national champions, six finalists and a 3rd placer at 133 and 141 just since 2021. And the 133 lber is now wrestling down at 57 kilos.
It’s mainly 25, but you really can’t believe that PSU has had even similar success at those three weights that they’ve had at 165, 74 and 84…or pick any other thee weights?

You’ve also only had 2 NCs that won 4 titles. Anybody you ask will say that PSU doesn’t perform as well at the low weights as they do above the low weights.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
The drought really is just at 125. Nothing since Nico in 2016, and it hasn't really been close. The injury bug has hit this weight harder than most, which is unfortunate since it's a tough weight to have adequate backup.
Uh-oh, I wrote this before noticing that your post was about PSU but I'm posting it anyway as my train of thought was triggered by someone’s post about how long it’s been since we have had a 125 champ.

Besides the 25 years since our last 125 champ (Moore), it has been 20 for 184 (Rosholt) and 18 for 285 (Mocco).

While we have several champions in the last 20 years at most weights, there are a few in which OSU is poorly represented:

125: Before Moore (25yrs) you have to go 28 additional years (‘68) for OW, Dwayne Keller. That’s 56 years and two weight changes (115-118-125) for two champions.

285: Before Mocco (18yrs) it’s 28 yrs for Jimmy Jackson (‘78 - my first fanboy year). 46 years.

157: Not as drastic but before Alex Dierringer (9yrs) it’s 28 yrs for Kenny Monday (‘85). 39 years.

197: Jake Rosholt (20yrs) and only 11 yrs for OW, Chris Barnes (‘90). Still 34 years for two.

Dishonorable Mention, 141: Dean Heil won two but we go back 26 yrs for John Smith (‘88) so; 3 champs in 36 years.

Anyway, I’m retired and I don’t want to work in the yard or on any of my many current project so, there it is.

Last edited:
So let’s assume Hughes goes 141. Our options at 133 are:
Sakamoto
Witcraft
McComas
Smith
Caviness

Is anyone still in the portal at this weight?!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT