ADVERTISEMENT

Next Years Lineup

Listen tough guy. PSU makes no mistakes!!!

Kidding aside, I feel bad for some of the guys who have had injuries for us at 125. I think Nick had too much New Jersey in him for PSU. If you’re from the northeast, you’d know what that means.

I try to always remember that these guys are all trying their best no matter what happens, and it abhors me that guys are called “holes” in a lineup. I recall my wife and I attending the 2019 Southern Scuffle, and we ran across four PSU wrestlers hanging around outside between sessions. I got a pic of my wife in the middle of Bo Nickal, Mason Manville, Mark hall, and Devin Schnupp. My wife didn’t know any of these guys until I told her afterwards, and she said that the little guy (our 125 Schnupp), asked her if we really wanted him in the pic because he wasn’t very good. Her response was, “you’re our guy and we love ALL of our guys”. I was proud of her for saying that. It must be tough to be THAT guy on a strong team.
@Pennstate1985 I was born in New Jersey and grew up in a town called Highlands until moving to Delaware at the age of 13. I know exactly what you mean about the New Jersey in people! haha

Reactions: Pennstate1985
Too small right now
Yeah, I think he's like 215-220. He will need every bit of time from now to March to get to 240-245 with muscle. The heavier Mirasola has the same issue for PSU. Small for a top tier heavy, but he has two years to beef up.

I'd say the redshirt scenario for Plott and others is a no go. We will go back to the portal the next year and after having what I'm sure will be a great year it won't be a problem getting guys.
The problem is you have zero idea who is going to be in the portal next year. If this is the route DT wants take great (it’s his program) but fans need to have realistic expectations about how long it’s going to take to get back to the top. It’s going to take a minute.

The problem is you have zero idea who is going to be in the portal next year. If this is the route DT wants take great (it’s his program) but fans need to have realistic expectations about how long it’s going to take to get back to the top. It’s going to take a minute.
Minutes are for milers, hours are for marathons.

Right now is for Bangers. It is of note, you can lose a marathon in the first 4 minutes. You can lose a mile in the first 15 seconds.

DT is a Banger!

Minutes are for milers, hours are for marathons.

Right now is for Bangers. It is of note, you can lose a marathon in the first 4 minutes. You can lose a mile in the first 15 seconds.

DT is a Banger!
I don’t know what this means but it sounds pretty cool.

Confused Charlie Day GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

I know I’m a broken record here, but I just want to see wrestler development more than anything. I want to see the current guys take a level jump. This should lead to a better ncaa appearance but either way that’s what I’m looking for. I want a title in the future but I want evidence of a strong program headed in a solid direction first. Tomato potato I’m sure.

I know I’m a broken record here, but I just want to see wrestler development more than anything. I want to see the current guys take a level jump. This should lead to a better ncaa appearance but either way that’s what I’m looking for. I want a title in the future but I want evidence of a strong program headed in a solid direction first. Tomato potato I’m sure.
100% agree. We have everything else. If he can show that he’s leveling guys up then the flood gates will open

That said, we also need some statement recruiting wins. This needs to be 3 year more than 5

To play devil's advocate. I can see recruits wanting to come to OSU even if there's no progress or statement wins for a few years. Just the opportunity to wrestle for their hero and/or be a part of the biggest narrative in recent USA wrestling history will bring people in. I do think that we'll see both progress and statement wins though.

100% agree. We have everything else. If he can show that he’s leveling guys up then the flood gates will open

That said, we also need some statement recruiting wins. This needs to be 3 year more than 5
Also 100%. I would love to see our almost AA guys get AA status and have a general "dang these guys are on top of it out there" sentiment. Seeing our wrestlers grow through the season is immensely satisfying as a fan. Yeah of course nattys are the ultimate and I do think we nab one next year. But it's more likely to be a Plott type situation where he has clearly separated himself from the pack than a Branch situation where someone comes out of nowhere.

To the first comment: This is something I think people aren't thinking about.... psu keeps the log jams because where the hell else were those guys gonna go to get the best development? Sorry, they seem to love the program enough that they werent really interested in an Iowa or OSU or tOSu or anyone else. But NOW they have an option... They can go somewhere with someone they are familiar with, idolized and will have a VERY similar system.

To the second comment: I made this very comment previously and like C35 said, it's imperative that there is development w/ current guys. This ties in w/ guys being willing to leave psu or anywhere else for that matter. For instance would a guy like Kellar (5th @ 157 from Ohio U.) turn down an opportunity to go to psu if they had wanted him? He wasn't interested in leaving but psu would be hard to turn down right? Hopefully we see Oklahoma State become that, a place guys can't turn down if Coach Taylor is interested.

That said, we also need some statement recruiting wins.

OSU had the #1 recruiting class in 2023. Signed the #2 recruit in the class of 2024 and has the #2 recruit in the class of 2025 committed. Not to mention the portal wins this off-season.

Dead period ends next week.

Statement has already been made. How much louder it's broadcast is the question moving forward.

OSU had the #1 recruiting class in 2023. Signed the #2 recruit in the class of 2024 and has the #2 recruit in the class of 2025 committed. Not to mention the portal wins this off-season.

Statement has already been made. How much louder it's broadcast is the question moving forward.
Great job by the old staff Like you said, we’ll see moving forward

This staff hasn’t landed a single class and even the old staff wasn’t taking it to PSU. If we somehow land two of three major PSU targets… that’s different and a statement.

Last edited:

There's absolutely been some great recruiting. Unfortunately theres some log jams along with some holes we desperately need to fill. Also some of those top recruits are still huge question marks as far as panning out. If we want team titles there can be no holes and no guys who aren't serious AA threats.

There's absolutely been some great recruiting. Unfortunately theres some log jams along with some holes we desperately need to fill. Also some of those top recruits are still huge question marks as far as panning out. If we want team titles there can be no holes and no guys who aren't serious AA threats.

Agreed and you're also correct about development. That's been the missing link and has to be the focus moving forward.

But OSU is 15 guys deep that can make the podium.. just need the weights to shake out and for those guys to improve.

This staff hasn’t landed a single class and even the old staff wasn’t taking it to PSU. If we somehow land two of three major PSU targets… that’s different and a statement.

Over the last decade, all but about 3 of the top 30 recruits that OSU has landed have had an offer from Penn State and OSU did flip two guys from them.

Cael does the Bob Stoops "we didn't want them anyway" and pulls the offer when they commit somewhere else... but that doesn't mean they didn't heavily pursue many of the guys that OSU got from Travis Wittlake to AJ Ferrari to Victor Voinovich.

Agreed and you're also correct about development. That's been the missing link and has to be the focus moving forward.

But OSU is 15 guys deep that can make the podium.. just need the weights to shake out and for those guys to improve.
I strongly disagree w/ the number being 15 guys deep that can make the podium but I'm me and you're you and that's OK my man lol.

My opinion on Next Year's line up:
125- Spratley w/ Sam Smith filling in here and there if needed
133- Hughes/ Witcraft
141- Hughes/Jamison
149- Jamison/Travis
157- Travis/Fish
165- Amine/Fish
174- Hamiti- lets hope he stays healthy
184- Plott w/ Robb filling in here and there
197- Carroll w/ Robb filling in
285- Hendrickson w/ Merrill getting some matches and possibly Doucet

I strongly disagree w/ the number being 15 guys deep that can make the podium but I'm me and you're you and that's OK my man lol.

133- Hughes/ Witcraft
141- Hughes/Jamison
149- Jamison/Travis
157- Travis/Fish
165- Amine/Fish

Spratley, Hughes, Jamison, Williams, Young, Amine, Hamiti, Thompson, Plott, Carroll, Hendrickson, and Merrill make 12... You're free to disagree that those 12 can make the podium, I guess.

I'm a homer and think Travis, Fish, and Doucet could make it as well. I wouldn't be shocked to see McCommas make the jump if he gets an opportunity either. I'll concede that those 4 are based on my rosey outlook on most things.

133- Hughes/ Witcraft
141- Hughes/Jamison
149- Jamison/Travis
157- Travis/Fish
165- Amine/Fish
You're leaving Jordan Williams out on purpose or on accident?

Spratley, Hughes, Jamison, Williams, Young, Amine, Hamiti, Thompson, Plott, Carroll, Hendrickson, and Merrill make 12... You're free to disagree that those 12 can make the podium, I guess.

I'm a homer and think Travis, Fish, and Doucet could make it as well. I wouldn't be shocked to see McCommas make the jump if he gets an opportunity either. I'll concede that those 4 are based on my rosey outlook on most things.
I think 1-2 of those guys wont even be here before long. Lets hope the number stays that low. My number of guys that that have or COULD AA with the current guys/incoming is more like 8-9 which is still really good. Fish may never even see the line up depending on how things shake out. Doucet would have to drastically improve. Right now at heavyweight he has to many guys in front of him that he absolutely CANNOT beat. He went 2-2 at NCAAs and only got a TD on his first guy. What Merrill can do against BIG seasoned college heavies remains to be seen although I'm very optimistic.

I have been very open about my thoughts where Thompson is concerned. I saw more attacks from him at U23s then I saw all year which is promising. He had a good win over a very tired Pinto but had 2 losses to guys I never heard of and got zero TDs in those matches. It will be interesting to see what Coach Taylor can do with him IF he doesn't let issues off the mat cause his career to nosedive.

133- Hughes/ Witcraft
141- Hughes/Jamison
149- Jamison/Travis
157- Travis/Fish
165- Amine/Fish
Did someone say a couple of days ago that Travis could beat both Fish and Amine in the room? If so, what does that spell going forward?

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT