ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota Dual 11/20 7pm CST

turfpoke

All-American
Dec 10, 2003
Looks like the dual is on the BTN. I haven’t checked yet to see if it’s on the main network or if they have it on an alternate channel with football.
This is Minnesota’s first dual of the season. They competed in the Bison open this pat weekend.

Intermat rankings:
125- #6 Patrick McKee vs #19 Trevor Mastrogiovanni
133- ??? vs #2 Daton Fix
141- #24 Marcos Polanvs #16 Dusty Hone
149- #28 Michael Blockhus vs #22 Kaden Gfeller
157- #5 Braxton Lee vs #14 Wyatt Sheets
165- #21 Andrew Sparks vs #6 Travis Wittlake
174- #25 Jared Krattiger vs #16 Dustin Plott
184- #33 Isaiah Salazar vs #7 Dakota Geer
197- ??? vs #1 AJ Ferrari
285- #1 Gable Steveson vs Luke Surber

Gophers solid favorites at 125, 157, and 285. Big test for Mastrogiovanni. This is a match Sheets can win. Welcome to 285 Mr. Surber.

Pokes solid favorites at 133, 165, 184, and 197. Likely big bonus in 3 out of 4. Will Wittlake rebound and get angry?

141, 149, and 174 toss ups on paper.
Who will the Pokes put out at 141 and 149? Carter Young is now eligible and won the ranking match.

Looks like the dual is on the BTN. I haven’t checked yet to see if it’s on the main network or if they have it on an alternate channel with football.
This is Minnesota’s first dual of the season. They competed in the Bison open this pat weekend.

Intermat rankings:
133- ??? vs #2 Daton Fix

Gophers solid favorites at 125, 157, and 285. Big test for Mastrogiovanni. This is a match Sheets can win. Welcome to 285 Mr. Surber.

Pokes solid favorites at 133, 165, 184, and 197. Likely big bonus in 3 out of 4. Will Wittlake rebound and get angry?

Who will the Pokes put out at 141 and 149? Carter Young is now eligible and won the ranking match.
Doesn't seem to be any reason to take Hone out yet but I bet Young will be on the trip. Expecting John will give G one last chance then gotta try another option. Hopefully meet is already decided before 197 and if so would expect Harris at 285.

Intermat rankings:
133- ??? vs #2 Daton Fix

Stevenson’s liable to hit Surber with the people’s elbow.

I would have liked to see Young at these Open Tournaments. He nosed out Hone in the wrestle offs so in Folkstyle wrestling bigger guys I don't see him being anywhere near as impressive as he was this summer. However you can wrestle in quite a few duals and still redshirt. Also Minnesota does not have a good 141 so if he is not going to the Lindenwood Tournament I hope he wrestles in the dual because he sure needs experience and I am confident he would win. Also 141 is a very tough weight class with 7 of the first rated 141's are seniors. Coach Smith will make the decision though.

Last edited:
I do not know the rules on redshirt in wrestling, but I would like to see him wrestle someone tough. He will have trouble escaping, but he is very tough on takedowns. Just choose even?

I do not know the rules on redshirt in wrestling, but I would like to see him wrestle someone tough. He will have trouble escaping, but he is very tough on takedowns. Just choose even?
He will not choose neutral. He looks very good and may be the starter but so far hasn't beat anyone.

Unless Carter is significantly better than Hone, I see Hone wrestling this year and Carter redshirting. That being said, now he is in a D1 wrestling room consistently, he could catapult ahead quickly

Reactions: DPJ
I don't think wrestling is like football where you can play in 4 games and still redshirt. Once you wrestle, other than open tourneys as unattached, you have used the year.

Heaven help AJ’s soul if he did that. I couldn’t see Gable allowing him to get away with that
He already has done it. It was funny as hell. As they were breaking up the champions picture at the NCAA’s. There’s video of it somewhere I saw before.

Unless Carter is significantly better than Hone, I see Hone wrestling this year and Carter redshirting. That being said, now he is in a D1 wrestling room consistently, he could catapult ahead quickly
They wrestled off again today at 141 and 149. OColly is there reporting on it and it sounds like Carter handles Hone pretty easily.

141 is stacked this year.. yanni is the 2x champ and world team member and he is only 2nd.. I think we should keep the shirt on him for awhile until we can see him against a higher ranked opponent. no disrespect to Mr. Hone, he is tough as nails.

141 is stacked this year.. yanni is the 2x champ and world team member and he is only 2nd.. I think we should keep the shirt on him for awhile until we can see him against a higher ranked opponent. no disrespect to Mr. Hone, he is tough as nails.
To me it is all about next year. Will Carter be better next year redshirting or jumping into the grind of 141 this year? I don't know the answer to that. I'm sure every kid is different.

Either way, if he is consistently majoring Hone I imagine it is tough on the coaches to sit him.

I think the mat experience this season makes him better next year. I guess asking Carter if he wants to redshirt or not is the first step since he has clearly won the starting spot. Give Dusty the option to move up to 149 and challenge for that spot.

wrestling this year (carter young) gives lineup options in the future also. He can take his redshirt in a different year. Plus, he will have an Olympic redshirt in 2024, especially if he continues on his current trajectory.

Get him in there. The room is only going to help you so much.

Like the idea of Dusty challenging for 149. I don't know if G can sustain competition-level effort for an entire season.

It’s hard to argue with results, Carter vs Hone matches. Couple of things make me believe it may not be as lopsided as the ranking matches is: it was reported that Hone had horrible cramps at both matches; and Smith is requiring a ranking match before each competition. Also, G has to do ranking matches every time as well

I think we are underestimating how good Abas is. He could be competing in the finals. Yes G was broken and not accustomed to that happening to him. Not giving up on G.

Reactions: tom_v31
In his interview Smith said G has him totally confused…looked like a new man, wrestling great, then goes out and looks like crap. Also after wrestling 141, almost didn’t make weight at 149. Acted basically mystified by G.

Reactions: tom_v31
It’s hard to argue with results, Carter vs Hone matches. Couple of things make me believe it may not be as lopsided as the ranking matches is: it was reported that Hone had horrible cramps at both matches; and Smith is requiring a ranking match before each competition. Also, G has to do ranking matches every time as well
I don’t see Carter Young having to rank weekly. G on the other hand, that may be what is required to keep him focused. What G needs in my opinion is someone to come into the room and beat him down until he quits. If he doesn’t quit we have something to work with. Maybe Jordan Oliver wants to come home for a week.

I think we are underestimating how good Abas is. He could be competing in the finals. Yes G was broken and not accustomed to that happening to him. Not giving up on G.
Yeah, I’m sure G underestimated Ava’s as well. He hasn’t quit wrestling yet, so I’m sure he will make adjustments. A winner doesn’t like to be embarrassed

You have to give it up to Hone. Came back for another year when he is already well past a typical graduates age. Then he takes the loss of the spot by immediately registering for an Open tournament in another state where he probably has to pay for his own travel, entry fee, etc.

You have to give it up to Hone. Came back for another year when he is already well past a typical graduates age. Then he takes the loss of the spot by immediately registering for an Open tournament in another state where he probably has to pay for his own travel, entry fee, etc.
He is mature person as Coach Smith said. However he is not redshirting so the Cowboys pick up the expenses I am fairly sure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT