ADVERTISEMENT

Grapple on the Gridiron

Orangebomber

All-Big12
May 29, 2001
Well it is time to start looking at this match. Just looking at probably lineups without predictions. Flo Rankings in ()

125 - (7) Klimara vs (3) Gilman - One weight with no questions.
133 - (NR) GW Harding vs (2) Clark - To early for pulling redshirts
141 - (5) Heil vs Ryan - Weight not settled but he finished 2nd at Grand View (Grothus is ranked 6th but not mentioned by Iowa as a contender for this weight)
149 - (9) Collica vs (3) Sorensen
157 - (19) Chance vs Erikson (Won Grand View) or Grothus???
165 - (1) Dieringer vs (NR) Gunther (Beat Moody in Finals at Grand View or Moody
174 - (3) Crutchmer vs (6) Meyer
184 - (NR) Rogers vs (11) Brooks (Boyd ranked 15th but looks like Rogers is here)
197 - (NR) Schafer vs (4) Burak
HWT - (4) Marsden vs (NR) Stoll

Ok State with one wrestler in Flo's P4P in Dieringer. Iowa with two in Gilman and Clark. It will be real interesting to see the starting weight. Do they go normal and end up at Heavyweight? Or do they want a premier match at the end. Is that 174? Starting at 184 would have 3 matches with a ranked wrestler against an unranked wrestler. Do the coaches try to make a statement win or just play it straight?

I don't know if I'd be comfortable with Crutchmer being the last match against Iowa Meyer is no slouch and I don't know if Crutchmer could be reliable in an environment like that with a dual that could come down to the wire also might see Paddock at 165 for Iowa

I think it's gonna come down to bonus points.....I see it 15-15, with Iowa pulling two wins with bonus and OSU with 3........lemme break down what I'm saying......

Gilman dec. Klimara
Clark mdec. Harding
Heil mdec. Ryan/?
Sorensen dec. Collica.......potential upset here
Chance dec Erikson
AD tech anyone
Crutch dec. Meyer....potential upset
Brooks dec. Rogers.....potential upset
Burak mdec Schafer
Marsden mdec Stoll

For a final of 19-17 OSU

Collica is a man on a mission, I could totally see him winning. Crutch, you just don't know, will regular season or NCAA's Crutchmer show up. Rogers beat Boyd twice so far this year......handily, Boyd went beat Brooks last year, could go either way.

There it is......

I think we hold both GWH and Brock out, they both have shirts available. I could see B Crutchmer going. At 57 it will probably be Cooper, but possibly the younger St John, at 65 should be Paddock. I think Grothus is out, I thought I read on HR that he was in a sling and not expected back until second semester.

I really like Rogers match up wise v Brooks. Brooks goes for lots of big moves and upper body stuff, that's what got him in trouble with boyd last year. The Rogers were very good at GR in HS, hopefully that will help v Brooks.

Well it is time to start looking at this match. Just looking at probably lineups without predictions. Flo Rankings in ()

125 - (7) Klimara vs (3) Gilman - One weight with no questions.
133 - (NR) GW Harding vs (2) Clark - To early for pulling redshirts
141 - (5) Heil vs Ryan - Weight not settled but he finished 2nd at Grand View (Grothus is ranked 6th but not mentioned by Iowa as a contender for this weight)
149 - (9) Collica vs (3) Sorensen
157 - (19) Chance vs Erikson (Won Grand View) or Grothus???
165 - (1) Dieringer vs (NR) Gunther (Beat Moody in Finals at Grand View or Moody
174 - (3) Crutchmer vs (6) Meyer
184 - (NR) Rogers vs (11) Brooks (Boyd ranked 15th but looks like Rogers is here)
197 - (NR) Schafer vs (4) Burak
HWT - (4) Marsden vs (NR) Stoll

Ok State with one wrestler in Flo's P4P in Dieringer. Iowa with two in Gilman and Clark. It will be real interesting to see the starting weight. Do they go normal and end up at Heavyweight? Or do they want a premier match at the end. Is that 174? Starting at 184 would have 3 matches with a ranked wrestler against an unranked wrestler. Do the coaches try to make a statement win or just play it straight?
The probables you have for IA at 157/165 are true frosh that won Grand View's freshmen brackets. They will not be starting. AR is right on with the probables at those weights.

I also agree that its too early to pull shirts especially considering at 133 IA is the huge favorite no matter who OK has and at 157 OK will be the favorite no matter who either team throws out there.

It's streamed live on Big Ten to go which is free if you have certain satellite subscription (i.e. Direct TV).

Any way to watch it live in southern Oklahoma?
Like Squarehat mentioned above, BTN2Go will stream it live. Its pretty simple to set up, its free, and you only need to sign in with your television provider assuming your current package has Big Ten Network. Hope this helps.

Can't wait to see the crowd that's expecting to show up. Over 32,500 tickets sold so far with a ton of walk ups to come, you would think.

It's funny, ESPN covered the All Star Classic but they won't pick up this record breaking, the two most storied programs in wrestling history, most anticipated dual in history.........maybe I'm biased and a little over exaggerated cause it's OSU, but then, it's OSU vs IOWA

It's funny, ESPN covered the All Star Classic but they won't pick up this record breaking, the two most storied programs in wrestling history, most anticipated dual in history.........maybe I'm biased and a little over exaggerated cause it's OSU, but then, it's OSU vs IOWA

While this is an awesome event it is being overshadowed by college football. They have the same problem running the national tournament during the first weekend of NCAA basketball tournament.

Just another tidbit...I recently heard on our Rivals website podcast, if you planned on just walking up to the stadium to purchase tickets, they'll have all 12 booths open on the South end of the stadium for this. They prefer cash just to help keep the line flow moving. There was an issue trying to purchase tickets online but they believe they have that figured out. So, they would suggest you to buy online but you can purchase at the gate.

Yes, unfortunately college football is king here in America, then basketball. At least they could put it on ESPN3, I mean........BTN is not provided in Oklahoma except on extended packages the way I understand it. If you have a basic cable, you can stream ESPN3. For crying out loud, ESPN3 has cricket available........college tennis........I KNOW they could make it happen...........I'm not trying to argue with anyone, just sayin.

But back to the fun stuff. Does anyone care to venture on the outcome, who wins who loses, upsets?

125 - (7) Klimara vs (3) Gilman - 0-3
133 - (NR) GW Harding vs (2) Clark - 0-7
141 - (5) Heil vs Ryan - 3-7
149 - (9) Collica vs (3) Sorensen - 6-7
157 - (NR) Chance vs Cooper - 9-7
165 - (1) Dieringer vs Paddock - 13-7
174 - (3) Crutchmer vs (6) Meyer - 13-10
184 - (17) Rogers vs (11) Brooks - 16-10
197 - (NR) Schafer vs (4) Burak - 16-14
HWT - (4) Marsden vs (NR) Stoll - 19-14

Wrestling outdoor could be a factor and there is little to go on for most wrestlers at this point. This is usually a tight match with bonus points deciding the outcome. While is pin is definitely possible I am not calling one in the prediction. I see three upsets with Collica taking down Sorensen, Meyer taking down Crutchmer, and Rogers taking down Brooks. I feel much better about the first two than Rogers but it seems like he is ready to break out. I also don't know what to really expect at 157. Looking forward to a great match.

Like Squarehat mentioned above, BTN2Go will stream it live. Its pretty simple to set up, its free, and you only need to sign in with your television provider assuming your current package has Big Ten Network. Hope this helps.

Can't wait to see the crowd that's expecting to show up. Over 32,500 tickets sold so far with a ton of walk ups to come, you would think.

I cut the cable some time ago. I was hoping there was an option that is solely internet based. Really, I can't believe Flo isn't providing any coverage?

Looks like it is going to be 59 degrees on Saturday so game on for the grapple on the gridiron. Too bad we are not playing Iowa in football on Saturday too.

Loops like Rogers is getting the start a cording to John last night. Kinda figured that. Also 33, 57 and 97 are still undecided. I know a lot of people are saying that pulling redshirt this early in the game is not smart, but the vibe I got from listening to John last night is its game on from the start. Did anyone else listen to the show last night?

I keep hecklering John last night before he was on air, yelling "pull the shirts, pull the shirts". I got sort of what I wanted, the cheerleaders took there shirts off! It sure was a early Christmas present!

Reactions: osu2082
Today's issue of the Cowboy Wrestling newsletter says they are taking Brock and Smith to Iowa. It sounds like pulling a couple of redshirts is a very strong possibility.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT