HWT
1. Derek White
2. AJ Nevills FSU
3. Brian Andrews WYO
4. Gannon Gremmel ISU
5. Carter Isley UNI
6. Tate Orndorff UVU

Wyatt ain't winning 157 lol
157 is the weakest weight class in the conference by far. He has as good a chance of the 157's as any of them to win the weight class. Now if he does win and qualify for Nationals his chances of placing would be very small.

What dies Wyatt need to do to get to NCAAs?

Win the tournament.

He was 23rd in the last coaches ranking which makes him a decent at-large candidate, but none of the other 157s in the Big 12 were ranked higher so you'd assume he'd drop if he takes a loss. If the guys in front of him mostly take care of business, he could squeeze in, though he'd have to finish second or have a win over someone who qualified directly this season to be eligible (assuming he stays in the top 33 of the CR). Josh Humphreys (Lehigh-EIWA) and Taleb Rahmani (Pitt-ACC) are the two best bets to auto-qualify of those Sheets has beaten.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Gotcha, I thought maybe he could sneak in with a couple wins.

On the coach's show, Chris said Wyatt might get an at-large selection if he finishes 2nd. Is that correct? Or would he be excluded from consideration because his RPI is outside the top 33 & his win% is lower than 70%?

I'm thinking he has to win Big12s outright, but just wondering if finishing 2nd is even a possibility. Anyone know?

On the coach's show, Chris said Wyatt might get an at-large selection if he finishes 2nd. Is that correct? Or would he be excluded from consideration because his RPI is outside the top 33 & his win% is lower than 70%?

I'm thinking he has to win Big12s outright, but just wondering if finishing 2nd is even a possibility. Anyone know?

Finishing one spot outside the automatic spots (in this case 2nd) is one of the criteria to qualify for the at-large pool. You need two of those criteria to be eligible. The RPI and winning percentage you mentioned are two of them that Sheets won't have. If he finishes second, he should stay in the top 33 of the coaches ranking which would lock down another criteria for him. As mentioned above, if Rahmani or Humphreys qualify directly, that would also check a box for Wyatt. All of this is just to be eligible for an at-large, though. They then compare all of those who are eligible and hand out the available spots based on the NCAA seeding criteria.

Finishing one spot outside the automatic spots (in this case 2nd) is one of the criteria to qualify for the at-large pool. You need two of those criteria to be eligible. The RPI and winning percentage you mentioned are two of them that Sheets won't have. If he finishes second, he should stay in the top 33 of the coaches ranking which would lock down another criteria for him. As mentioned above, if Rahmani or Humphreys qualify directly, that would also check a box for Wyatt. All of this is just to be eligible for an at-large, though. They then compare all of those who are eligible and hand out the available spots based on the NCAA seeding criteria.

OK, I didn't realize that finishing 1 spot outside of the automatic qualifiers was considered one of the criteria. I thought it might be the starting point and then you needed 2 of 3 from CR, RPI, & win% (plus the win over a qualifier).

Loosely related, do you know if the NCAA provides coaches with the RPI for all wrestlers or only for the top 33? If they don't provide it for everyone, maybe someone wants to let Zack or Chris know that Wrestlestat now offers it?

OK, I didn't realize that finishing 1 spot outside of the automatic qualifiers was considered one of the criteria. I thought it might be the starting point and then you needed 2 of 3 from CR, RPI, & win% (plus the win over a qualifier).

Loosely related, do you know if the NCAA provides coaches with the RPI for all wrestlers or only for the top 33? If they don't provide it for everyone, maybe someone wants to let Zack or Chris know that Wrestlestat now offers it?

I don't know what is provided to the coaches. The system is designed for the CR and RPI to operate independently of one another, but there is more information available than ever before. I love what wrestlestat is doing, even if he won't let me help. :)

Basically I'd say he just needs to win it. The problem with finishing one spot out is, lets say there's 27 AQs that leaves 6 at large, but if there's 3 guys already ahead of him, then really may only be 3 slots available. But suppose 3 others who qualified spots get upset at their tournaments and don't make the AQ, now there are no remaining at large for the guy finishing 1 spot outside. Its a bit of a crap shoot if you don't have the record, rpi etc going in. That said, Sheets has been improving and is good enough to win it, just needs to wrestle his best.

Reactions: leroyjethrogibbs
I don't know what is provided to the coaches. The system is designed for the CR and RPI to operate independently of one another, but there is more information available than ever before. I love what wrestlestat is doing, even if he won't let me help. :)

@CowboyUp61 - maybe you want to mention Wrestlestat's RPI to one of the coaches? Might be helpful with planning in the future.

:eek:. I try to not give wrestling-related advice to men who know more than I. Keeps me from feeling like they need to send me to my room to pout:)

You could always try what I would do if I was in Stillwater - slide an anonymous note under the door and then run.;)

You could always try what I would do if I was in Stillwater - slide an anonymous note under the door and then run.;)
I was going tape a note on the door about how to best peak for nationals knowing they were in Tulsa, but lost my nerve when Brandy gave me the evil eye :oops:

Reactions: oberebo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT