ADVERTISEMENT

2022-2023 Biggest Question Marks

JAY45

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 19, 2002
Continuing the discussion regarding moving forward & thinking in terms of Roster, Weights, & Personnel…what is missing from below? What is already answered?

•What weight will we see Daton Fix?
•What version of Travis Wittlake will we see?
•Will there be an impact Transfer?
•What is the status of Anthony Ferrari?
•What is the status of Travis Mastrogiovanni?
•Who fills 149 & 157? Who is left out in the numbers crunch?
•What is Anthony Montalvo’s status & where does he fit?
•Who Redshirts & for what reason?
•What do Trevor Mastro, Plott, & Surber look like completely healthy, and a year more mature (and 20-25 pounds heavier in Surber’s case)?

Reactions: driad
What are the causes of our 5+ year cascade of season ending injuries and what’s being done to address it? “Kids are soft these days” or “injuries happen” are not appropriate answers - this needs to be identified and fixed ASAP not only for any chance at an NC but more importantly for the athletes’ health.

Reactions: je55m00r3
- Can Mastro hold 125 while still remaining healthy & effective?
- What weight does Young go for freestyle? If he goes 61 KG and makes the Junior World Team, he'll need to hold it through the summer.
- Can Surber add a minimum of 15 lbs of 'good' weight and maintain it during the season? If not, is 184 a possibility? Can we flip Harley Andrews late like Carter Young?
- Are Voinovich/Mastro/Haas legitimate AA candidates out of the gate? Do they flash AA potential for later in their careers?
- Can Anthony Ferrari & Jordan Williams make an impact as true freshmen?
- Do we have any surprise break out candidates on the roster? (Birdwell, Travis, Mechler, Skidgel, Blankenship)

I think the roster adjustments are very important maybe second to addressing the injury and health issues for our wrestlers.

I think there needs to be a year round focus on health, weight training and nutrition for these guys especially in the off season and for incoming freshman. Making sure we are putting guys at the best weights for them to have the most success and not having guys bump up or down to fill a spot.

Also, are we going to continue to "save" blue chips recruits who get little mat time and experience against quality opponents their first year or put out a lineup regardless of class, experience or status built to score points and win tournaments. We have to start thinking in terms of what's the best lineup to score a lot of tournament points at NCAA's and at what weights those guys would have the most success.

These are hypothetical examples of lineup issues.

-If Montalvo comes back healthy and is down at 184 and has a razor thin edge over Haas in the room do we start Montalvo or Haas because he is a high recruit?

-Moving Daton up to 141 and Carter Young to 133 which would be a better weight for him to have success and have Daton wrestle at a weight where there a very few guys who would be a threat to him as a NC?

-If we redshirt Anthony Ferrari do we bump a undersized Jordan Williams up to 157 even if Voinovich looks to fit that weight better? (This one isn't much of a concern because I think Anthony will start at 157)

Like I said just some examples, but it fits the narrative of our lineup past issues.

Continuing the discussion regarding moving forward & thinking in terms of Roster, Weights, & Personnel…what is missing from below? What is already answered?

•What weight will we see Daton Fix?
•What version of Travis Wittlake will we see?
•Will there be an impact Transfer?
•What is the status of Anthony Ferrari?
•What is the status of Travis Mastrogiovanni?
•Who fills 149 & 157? Who is left out in the numbers crunch?
•What is Anthony Montalvo’s status & where does he fit?
•Who Redshirts & for what reason?
•What do Trevor Mastro, Plott, & Surber look like completely healthy, and a year more mature (and 20-25 pounds heavier in Surber’s case)?
#1, will they be taught how to escape?

Reactions: MACH3+ Cowboy
I think the roster adjustments are very important maybe second to addressing the injury and health issues for our wrestlers.

I think there needs to be a year round focus on health, weight training and nutrition for these guys especially in the off season and for incoming freshman. Making sure we are putting guys at the best weights for them to have the most success and not having guys bump up or down to fill a spot.

Also, are we going to continue to "save" blue chips recruits who get little mat time and experience against quality opponents their first year or put out a lineup regardless of class, experience or status built to score points and win tournaments. We have to start thinking in terms of what's the best lineup to score a lot of tournament points at NCAA's and at what weights those guys would have the most success.

These are hypothetical examples of lineup issues.

-If Montalvo comes back healthy and is down at 184 and has a razor thin edge over Haas in the room do we start Montalvo or Haas because he is a high recruit?

-Moving Daton up to 141 and Carter Young to 133 which would be a better weight for him to have success and have Daton wrestle at a weight where there a very few guys who would be a threat to him as a NC?

-If we redshirt Anthony Ferrari do we bump a undersized Jordan Williams up to 157 even if Voinovich looks to fit that weight better? (This one isn't much of a concern because I think Anthony will start at 157)

Like I said just some examples, but it fits the narrative of our lineup past issues.

I think there is a better chance Daton could be at 125 than 141. Young will be focused on adding size. Ideally he ends up at 149 at some point for his FS future.

Interesting statement, there: "The portal's a joke, you do know that right? It's an out. It's created an invironment that's a little bit toxic, but it's part of our life now"

I don't know that it's a joke but the rest is true; it's an out, it's toxic and it's part of our life. No need to sing it's praises but get with the current situation and use it to your advantage.

Interesting statement, there: "The portal's a joke, you do know that right? It's an out. It's created an invironment that's a little bit toxic, but it's part of our life now"

I don't know that it's a joke but the rest is true; it's an out, it's toxic and it's part of our life. No need to sing it's praises but get with the current situation and use it to your advantage.

Man the interview had these nice flashes of self-awareness but with this bomb at the end I immediately thought "great John is going to turn away good wrestlers trying to transfer just because he doesn't like the reason they're transferring". Hopefully I'm wrong.

But unless I'm missing something, why is the transfer portal "toxic" or "a joke"? Haven't college athletes in every sport including wrestling been transferring schools for years and years? What's different now than when, say, Steve Mocco left Iowa for OSU?

Last edited:
Man the interview had these nice flashes of self-awareness but with this bomb at the end I immediately thought "great John is going to turn away good wrestlers trying to transfer just because he doesn't like the reason they're transferring". Hopefully I'm wrong.

But unless I'm missing something, why is the transfer portal "toxic" or "a joke"? Haven't college athletes in every sport including wrestling been transferring schools for years and years? What's different now than when, say, Steve Mocco left Iowa for OSU?
Not sure how it’s a joke or toxic unless the wrestler had a lot of off the mat problems. We were trying to bring in Shawn Streck a couple of years back and he had a ton of problems. There are a lot of SR’s that would like to finish their careers out on the podium and transfer to a program they believe could help them reach their goals. I wonder if john would stand firm with his opinions if say an AA wrestler at 141 or 285 wanted to transfer in for their SR year?

Weren't the Mocco, Caldwell & Geer transfers all due to coaching changes? Anyone know?

Quote is a bit out of context. He's saying that it's created a toxic environment because guys use it as a threat when they're mad. "I'm going to enter the portal!" because they had a bad day at practice or didn't get their way. There are valid reasons to transfer, and he's going to work the transfer portal just like he has always done.

Besides working the portal, it sounds like John is going to make some important changes.

I didn't hear it that way at all. John said at least twice "we gotta be looking at that". He clearly thinks poorly of it, but it's a reality and he knows it. And as you say, he's benefitted from transfers in the past in a big way.

Reactions: osu2082 and driad
Besides working the portal, it sounds like John is going to make some important changes.
It seems like John has finally hit his bottom, looking at himself and recognizes we need to start wrestling and it is time for leadership. He has been complacent. It may be this lousy year was needed. Coach Smith seems to have some fire in him which is good. I hope that he follows thru because wrestling has been painful for a lot of years.

Last edited:
No more hearing no. I like that. Some good stuff in there. Thanks for posting.

Quote is a bit out of context. He's saying that it's created a toxic environment because guys use it as a threat when they're mad. "I'm going to enter the portal!" because they had a bad day at practice or didn't get their way. There are valid reasons to transfer, and he's going to work the transfer portal just like he has always done.
Sounds like John thinks of the portal the same way most of us do.

I know that this isn’t ideal for Daton but what if we filled a lineup with transfers and guys without redshirts and say everyone else? Sets up a nice run in a couple years, this what PSU did the year the Buckeyes won.
This guy and maybe his brother are available:

John talked alot about relationships needing to improve. I remember a story from a buddy of mine who was on the team (AA level guy) a few years before we went on our run of championships. He said he'd heard from some of the guys on the team how John had changed the way he communicated with the team. Said it was like a completely different person. I wonder if over the years he had slipped back into old habits. I for one love to see a fired up Coach Smith, lets get this train going again.

The one big question I wonder is how long Trevor Mastro can hold 125? He has to go 125 at least one more year if he wants to get all 5 years in the lineup. He can redshirt the next year then go two years at 133 but who would replace him at 125 is interesting. The wrestlers on the roster/Committed that it could be are Zach Blankenship or Cooper birdwell but I think both of those options are developmental. The best option is obviously keeping Mastro at 125 for the rest of his career but he is very tall for 125. If Mastro is a career 125 we should land a stud recruit in 2024 that’s a 125 and could come in and start after a redshirt.

The one big question I wonder is how long Trevor Mastro can hold 125? He has to go 125 at least one more year if he wants to get all 5 years in the lineup. He can redshirt the next year then go two years at 133 but who would replace him at 125 is interesting. The wrestlers on the roster/Committed that it could be are Zach Blankenship or Cooper birdwell but I think both of those options are developmental. The best option is obviously keeping Mastro at 125 for the rest of his career but he is very tall for 125. If Mastro is a career 125 we should land a stud recruit in 2024 that’s a 125 and could come in and start after a redshirt.
We landed a stud 125 in the class of 23. Cael Hughes. He beat Blankenship his first match back this season after being out for an extended period due to fractured vertebra and went up a weight to do it.

Last edited:
We landed a stud 125 in the class of 23. Cael Hughes. He beat Blankenship his first match back this season after being out for an extended period due to fractured vertebra and went up a weight to do it.
I absolutely agree Po0sKue that Cael Hughes is a stud. I am definitely not knocking Mastro with his injury but he could be sitting out of the lineup next year. I do not think Fix will leave 133 nor should he due to his stature. That is his weight. It will be interesting to see Montalvo and Haas at 184 next year and who wins. We will have some tough fights at several weights which is good as whoever wins will be tested by fire.

Reactions: osu2082
Cael Hughes wrestles 126 right now there is no way he’s making 125 in college. I have trouble thinking he is a 133 I think he’ll be a 141 or 149 probably.

I absolutely agree Po0sKue that Cael Hughes is a stud. I am definitely not knocking Mastro with his injury but he could be sitting out of the lineup next year. I do not think Fix will leave 133 nor should he due to his stature. That is his weight. It will be interesting to see Montalvo and Haas at 184 next year and who wins. We will have some tough fights at several weights which is good as whoever wins will be tested by fire.
Cael Hughes has another year of high school but to think he’ll be close with Mastro when he gets on campus is wild. The difference between college and high school is huge look at Cael Hughes results in freestyle. He entered the junior world team trials and got beat pretty good by the Missouri starter Noah surtin who Mastro in my opinion will never lose too agian he’s 1-1 but the time surtin beat him he had 4 back points Mastro still won the take down battle he just got caught.

Cael Hughes has another year of high school but to think he’ll be close with Mastro when he gets on campus is wild. The difference between college and high school is huge look at Cael Hughes results in freestyle. He entered the junior world team trials and got beat pretty good by the Missouri starter Noah surtin who Mastro in my opinion will never lose too agian he’s 1-1 but the time surtin beat him he had 4 back points Mastro still won the take down battle he just got caught.
So, a college starter beat a high school sophomore? That is a big age and maturity difference. Whatever weight Hughes wrestles, he will be a factor.

So, a college starter beat a high school sophomore? That is a big age and maturity difference. Whatever weight Hughes wrestles, he will be a factor
Oh I love Cael Hughes I think he’s going to do great things at ok state. I was just saying that him being a better option than Mastro was a stretch because of the jump from high school to college

Reactions: JAY45
OK glad to hear y'all are hearing his words about the transfer portal differently than I. Transferring makes a lot of sense. Kids are making decisions about their college wrestling careers when they're 16, 17 years old and then when they're 21 they want to go be coached by a different group? Fine by me. I know I sure didn't make the greatest decisions about my future when I was in high school and early college. We just need to be an attractive place for transferring wrestlers to move to!

It seems like John has finally hit his bottom, looking at himself and recognizes we need to start wrestling and it is time for leadership. He has been complacent. It may be this lousy year was needed. Coach Smith seems to have some fire in him which is good. I hope that he follows thru because wrestling has been painful for a lot of years.
I hope this is true too. And I hope he and his staff are able to brainstorm, listen to each other, and adapt to what will bring out the best in his squad... even if it includes navigating unknown territory. That's really a key here I think.

Reactions: turfpoke
Cael Hughes wrestles 126 right now there is no way he’s making 125 in college. I have trouble thinking he is a 133 I think he’ll be a 141 or 149 probably.
But you think Blankenship will make 125? He wrestled 132 last year.

Lots of HS Junior 126ers and 132ers end up at 125 in college.

Curious as to your reasoning to think he won't make 125 or 133?

Reactions: Ok_Longhorn
John talked alot about relationships needing to improve. I remember a story from a buddy of mine who was on the team (AA level guy) a few years before we went on our run of championships. He said he'd heard from some of the guys on the team how John had changed the way he communicated with the team. Said it was like a completely different person. I wonder if over the years he had slipped back into old habits. I for one love to see a fired up Coach Smith, lets get this train going again.
Sounds very Mike Gundy 2014 after beating OU and winning the bowl game. He seemed more upbeat, excited, and ready to put his name out there. No complaints if John Smith gets into this realm.

But you think Blankenship will make 125? He wrestled 132 last year.

Lots of HS Junior 126ers and 132ers end up at 125 in college.

Curious as to your reasoning to think he won't make 125 or 133?
Look at the frames on the wrestlers. Blankenship is 5’0 ish Hughes is 5’6 or 5’7
Blankenship has said on owrestle on rokfin that he plans on starting at 125 and maybe growing into 133 I don’t think he cuts a lot of weight he plays football so he’s not in the room all the time like someone of Cael Hughes who wrestlers a lot of freestyle when healthy.
Willie at mat scouts on Rokfin has Hughes as a 141/149 also Flowrestling has Hughes as a 141/133

Reactions: TheJimReaper
I would imagine the dynamics of motivating and teaching young men is always changing. What pushes their buttons? Do they need Tik Tok breaks? I found it interesting how John said he isn’t taking NO for an answer anymore. He praised Weiberg. So, who is he hearing NO from? He said he didn’t like NIL but said it doesn’t matter it’s here and embrace it. I took from the toxic environment of the transfer portal that athletes use it as leverage. Best thing to fix that is tell them to hit the road and pick up another from the portal. It is here and not changing might as well embrace it to. A solid NIL program and we should have our pick from the portal. Sounds like the RTC issues may be changing also. You can either continue to get your ass kicked or change.

Reactions: okstatefan and DPJ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT