ADVERTISEMENT

2023-2024 starting lineup

BigD_cowboy

Redshirt
Gold Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
Just a few questions as we embark on this season.

Who is projected to be in our starting lineup?

Are we anticipating to start any true freshman?

What is the impact of Coleman Scott joining our staff?

Are the Ferrari brothers eligible to wrestle for Iowa this year? If so, the Iowa dual will be even more electric.

I’ll let someone else run down the projected lineup but Spratley 125, Alvarez 141, Williams 149, Izzak 165 and Thompson are all “new” names that should be in the lineup.

Carroll will be the one to watch. Talented enough to make noise as a FR but the weight clears out after this year so a RS is possible.

Scott in the short term should bring a new style and approach to the room that is badly needed. In the longer term he is a coach that is all in with NIL and the RTC model that has been growing here. I think he will have a significant impact as he transitions to the HC in the next few years.

I don’t think you will see AJ ever wrestle in college again. The middle Ferrari supposedly has some work to do eligibility wise and so best case for him at Iowa is second semester.

I'll add a little bit more to the Carroll RS thought. Yes, the weight class clears out majorly. Flo's pre-season rankings released on Sept 29th have 17/24 SR's ranked. Also, looking at this years schedule we will wrestle 12/24 of those ranked guys (not including any matches at CKLV).

Intermat's rankings are a bit different having 13/33 ranked SR's and again wrestling 12 of those ranked guys on the schedule. These rankings came out on Aug 29th so it will likely change when they come out with a new set.

Although I believe Carroll is ready and has the tools to win some big matches, to me personally I think it makes sense to RS him only to increase his odds of becoming a multi AA and potential NC for the next 4 years. I do want to see him wrestle at CKLV and if he preforms well and has some big convincing wins over highly ranked guys then maybe he can compete at nationals then you pull his RS.

How many matches or events can they wrestle in without burning their RS?

Each team can only enter one wrestler per weight at CKLV.

Here is a GUESS as to what it will look like to start the season. Emphasis on GUESS…

125: Spratley
133: Fix
141: Alvarez OR Jamison
149: Williams
157: Harper OR Manibog
165: Olenjik
174: Thompson
184: Plott
197: Surber
285: Doucet

For whatever reason, Mirzo Khayito is not on the Roster.

Last edited:
Here is a GUESS as to what it will look like to start the season. Emphasis on GUESS…

Spot on. Sounds like Jamison may be ahead of Alvarez at this point.

Just a few questions as we embark on this season.

Who is projected to be in our starting lineup?

Are we anticipating to start any true freshman?

What is the impact of Coleman Scott joining our staff?

Are the Ferrari brothers eligible to wrestle for Iowa this year? If so, the Iowa dual will be even more electric

is Alvarez big enough for 157?

There is nobody else currently on the roster who can go the weight so as far as right now is concerned Jalin is likely the guy. I’ll believe Blair witch project when I see it.

I worked out with David Hilley in college and his objective was to not get pinned so we could tie the dual and he ended up being double disqualified and we won the dual. You do not plan at the beginning of recruiting to have this, but you play the hand you are dealt. I have heard we are looking at two transfer options at 157 and I doubt either could wrestle this year.

Turfpoke, I don’t know how to do the quote thing. I was responding to Okiepat. We should never have a starter that can simply not get majored and keep most of their matches close.
Agreed, but what better options do we have at this point? We can’t bring Gfeller back again. The weight was a known hole in the lineup going back to before last season.

Another site mentioned that Austin Gomez is in the portal…

I would think Teague would be small for 157 seeing how he's been at 141 for his time here so far. Maybe he's hit the weights pretty hard. Could definitely be a solid option at the weight for sure.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
Looks like AJ is headed to Iowa and will be eligible in January. Gonna Be a wild dual with Iowa

Very interested to see if AJ can get back into wrestling shape for the big 10 slate. Seems like he’s been focused on MMA

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT