ADVERTISEMENT

Scuffle Thoughts

As a 12 seed, Crutchmer beat the 5 and and the guy who beat the 4 seed, lost to the 8 seed in OT in the semi finals, then came back are lost a close match to Storley, who was the 6 seed ( I thought he won, but the refs didn't think so), then beat the 3 seed in Evans. Kokesh was the one seed and lost in the quarters, so Kyle wrestled 8 rather than 1 in the semi finals. Kokesh fell to opposite side in wrestle backs, so other than missing the 1 seed Kokesh and 2 seed Brown (whom I believe he took to OT in the dual in Stillwater), I don't think his draw was easy and while there were some upsets, he wrestled 5,8,6,3 which were all seeded higher and the two loses were close matches in OT. There are some wrestlers that make it to the finals without wrestling a seeded wrestler, but that was not the case for Kyle last year.

Last edited:
As a 12 seed, Crutchmer beat the 5 and and the guy who beat the 4 seed, lost to the 8 seed in OT in the semi finals, then came back are lost a close match to Storley, who was the 6 seed ( I thought he won, but the refs didn't think so), then beat the 3 seed in Evans. Kokesh was the one seed and lost in the quarters, so Kyle wrestled 8 rather than 1 in the semi finals. Kokesh fell to opposite side in wrestle backs, so other than missing the 1 seed Kokesh and 2 seed Brown (whom I believe he took to OT in the dual in Stillwater), I don't think his draw was easy and while there were some upsets, he wrestled 5,8,6,3 which were all seeded higher and the two loses were close matches in OT. There are some wrestlers that make it to the finals without wrestling a seeded wrestler, but that was not the case for Kyle last year.

Wow, all I actually remember was him getting an 8 seed in the semis. The way it seemed watching it then seemed fortuitous, but I agree with you.

Magaldo certified at 133
It is an exercise in futility if he did not certify at 133 and I am positive that Mike is right on this. However certifying for a weight does not mean you ever got down to that weight. During certification you weigh in and someone could weigh 140 or above and certify for 133. It all depends on the formula and how much body fat you can lose within safe guidelines. I hope that Mike Magaldo can make 133 as from what I know he gives us the best option. However, we have all seen wrestlers like Jordan Oliver, Chance Marsteller and many others who make the weight but are so drained they struggle to finish a match. Let us hope he can cut the weight safely and still be strong.

Well, if John Smith leaves Joe Smith in redshirt, it pretty much says he concedes this year...I have a hard time seeing him do that?

Is AA points at 125, 149, 157, 174 and 285 with finalist at 141 & 165 enough? I still think it comes down to who scores more bonus points and who gets lucky or unlucky.

125 - PSU > OSU
133 - PSU > OSU
141 - PSU < OSU
149 - PSU > OSU
157 - PSU = OSU
165 - PSU < OSU
174 - PSU > OSU
184 - PSU > OSU
197 - PSU > OSU
285 - PSU < OSU

That's a little concerning to me because it might be 7 to 3 but at best it's 6-4 with the advantage to PSU? We are going to need some luck no matter what!

The direct <=> doesn't matter as much as point potential. Starting with someone else's PSU expectation and optimistic outlook it could look like:

PSU OSU

125: 3/4 13 4/5 11 pts

133: r12 3 dnq 0 pts

141: r12 3 1/2 19 pts

149: 2nd 20 7/8 6 pts

157: 2/3 16 2/3 16 pts

165: 1.5 1st 22 pts

174: 2/4 15 2/4 15 pts

184: r16 1.5 r16 1.5 pts

197: 2nd 18 dnq 0 pts

285: dnq 0 4/5 9 pts

total 91.0 99.5

of course head to head at 157 and 174 would be very important and other teams are in play

I would question if Nickal is as talented as Crutchmer. I have no idea what was going on at the scuffle, but Crutchmer is capable of beating anyone at that weight and should do that. He is as strong and quick and has a wider variety of shots in his arsenal. I have not watched Bo wrestle, but Crutchmer did not get lucky in St. Louis and he wrestled up to his ability.

I would question if Nickal is as talented as Crutchmer. I have no idea what was going on at the scuffle, but Crutchmer is capable of beating anyone at that weight and should do that. He is as strong and quick and has a wider variety of shots in his arsenal. I have not watched Bo wrestle, but Crutchmer did not get lucky in St. Louis and he wrestled up to his ability.
Nickal will be an extremely hard matchup for Crutchmer. He has every bit of the skill of Crutchmer PLUS he may be 6-8" taller. Crutchmer is short of stature and Nickall uses his leverage extremely well. I am not as confident as you that Crutchmer will beat him.I am not saying Crutchmer was lucky in St. Louis and I believe he will be an AA again this year but Nickall is a large stumbling block to get by.

I have not seen Nikall wrestle, but obviously he is getting it done as he won the Scuffle. Leverage is an advantage until it isn't. Seems to me that there is not real body type advantage in wrestling. Height always helped when riding, but that seemed to be the only advantage.

I have not seen Nikall wrestle, but obviously he is getting it done as he won the Scuffle. Leverage is an advantage until it isn't. Seems to me that there is not real body type advantage in wrestling. Height always helped when riding, but that seemed to be the only advantage.
When you see him wrestle you will understand more. I am not saying Crutchmer can not beat him but Nickall turned several leg shots by very good wrestlers into points of his own. One good thing for Crutchmer is that he does not hit random leg shots but waits for ideal moments to hit his double leg takedown.

My initial thought on seeing Nickal was, "Man, he's so skinny!" I was sure he wouldn't have the strength to avoid get manhandled by guys like Crutchmer, Ramos, and Realbuto, who all look like they have spent more than a few weekends and holiday breaks in the weight room. But he handled the strength of Ramos and Realbuto really easily. He just seems to be wiry strong.

I'm guessing Crutchmer will have to beat him by tying him up constantly, hanging on his neck, and keeping the point total low. He might give up a stalling point or two but a couple of takedowns and escapes might do it.

Its also doesn't surprise me that Nickal lost to Jackson of Indiana, another long, tall but more experienced kid.

My initial thought on seeing Nickal was, "Man, he's so skinny!" I was sure he wouldn't have the strength to avoid get manhandled by guys like Crutchmer, Ramos, and Realbuto, who all look like they have spent more than a few weekends and holiday breaks in the weight room. But he handled the strength of Ramos and Realbuto really easily. He just seems to be wiry strong.

I'm guessing Crutchmer will have to beat him by tying him up constantly, hanging on his neck, and keeping the point total low. He might give up a stalling point or two but a couple of takedowns and escapes might do it.

Its also doesn't surprise me that Nickal lost to Jackson of Indiana, another long, tall but more experienced kid.

Haha, what in the world would lead you to believe this isn't his only gameplan, against anybody he Wrestles?

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT