ADVERTISEMENT

OK STATE vs NC STATE 1/5/24

I will keep working hard to try to be as good a person as you are. This was a very good dual win by the Cowboys and I do think almost everyone competed well and we did just about as good as we could as a team. Personally I thought Thompson was not near at his best but toughing out a win in that situation I think was great. That was the worst that I have seen Oljenik wrestle but he still won easily. Plott got in a tougher match than I think he should have but he did pull it out the match in the end. I need to get me a pair of orange and black sunglasses like you but I still see we easily wrestled the best we have all season but I am still not satisfied. Sorry.
They beat a top 5 ranked team in the nation 22-12 without there starting 197. It’s not orange colored glasses.

Last edited:
Hard to believe but Jordan Williams Beat Teague Travis I believe at the St. Louis tournament at 149. If Jordan had Teague's toughness he probably could be a National Champ. Great win by Teague Travis! Also very good win for Spratley but his opponent lost 3 straight matches recently and so we will see if Troy builds and on this win. Daton and Jamison wrestled good also but Jamison should have won that match.
Harley just stop with spratly good win you don’t always have to find a negative with the accomplishment

I will keep working hard to try to be as good a person as you are. This was a very good dual win by the Cowboys and I do think almost everyone competed well and we did just about as good as we could as a team. Personally I thought Thompson was not near at his best but toughing out a win in that situation I think was great. That was the worst that I have seen Oljenik wrestle but he still won easily. Plott got in a tougher match than I think he should have but he did pull it out the match in the end. I need to get me a pair of orange and black sunglasses like you but I still see we easily wrestled the best we have all season but I am still not satisfied. Sorry.
You never are because you’re a miserable old shithead

Teague Travis probably had the biggest upset the program has had in several years. We were talking about just this after last season how none of our guys step up to the occasion and knock off a higher ranked guys. Well I’m hoping that has changed directions. Hell of a dual, prob the best dual and most exciting I’ve watched from us in a several years.

Also, Plott wrestled great. Grinding it out for the win. Fishback is fast and was very aggressive. If this was last year I’m not sure Plott comes back and wins that match. All these things are called “development”.

Now if we can only figure out how to toughen up Williams and give him some enthusiasm. He does seem a little undersized and possible lacks some strength to handle some of the bigger 149’s. In on a leg twice and couldn’t finish. Teague looks small for 157 too but figures out how to win.

Last edited:
You never are because you’re a miserable old shithead
Your information is valued on this forum, but you have attacked so many people on this forum your personal feedback does not have much value at least to me. So many times, I could have gone after you for ridiculous posts, but I have chosen not to. I thought some of our guys wrestled okay when you thought they wrestled good. Just a difference of opinion not an insult to any wrestler. Apparently, you struggle with opinions that differ from yours. Spratley had a good win tonight but the truth for me is I am uncertain how good the win is based on his opponent's recent history. I hope Troy explodes off this win and becomes a National contender. Several years ago. I remember Mastro beating Pat McKee easily and soundly and I thought maybe he has jumped levels. It did not turn out that way. Time will tell. I remember last year many people on this forum didn't like my opinion on wrestlers during duals with me wanting better wrestling and expressing concerns. I hope that we shock the wrestling world this year, and tonight was impressive as a whole but we are about half done with the season.

Exactly. We are fine. Our 197 lbs didn’t wrestle and we scored upsets at 125 and 157. Lack of Upsets at major duels is what this board bitches about. I like what we did tonight. 149 will probably surprise this entire board when dust settles but hard to make that argument now. Future is bright for our pokes!

I
I did not see it but you call it like you see it

Reactions: driad
Statement Win for the Cowboys.
This answers a LOT of questions.
Only 1 match to be concerned about; yet against a determined Top 3 wrestler. OSU’s guy is learning what it takes.
Jamison was CLEARLY favoring his injured right arm…and could have/should have won. He was the aggressor.
Teague Travis likely had the upset of the weekend.
Spratley’s win shouldn’t be minimized in any way…something is off with Camacho, he’s been ranked as high as #1.

To do this, on the road, was huge. The Christmas Break training sessions seem to have worked.

It is not that won, but how we won. There was a lot of grit with the wins. Teague was probably beaten twice and just gutted it out against a ranked wrestler. We are finding ways to win against very good wrestlers. Maybe NC State was not ready for this dual, but Plott whipped a very good Fishback after he spotted him 3 points. Doucette was never in doubt, but he did not put him away until he secured riding time. I was watching the dual with my wife and told her that Doucette's match would be boring and then he took a shot in the first period. Not fully committed, but got close.

Let’s cut out the personal attacks and elevate our arguments. It will make for a much better forum. It’s ok to disagree. I appreciate @Harleycowboy ‘s perspective…he’s tough and has a high bar; yet is far from a negative Nancy.

For instance, I disagree on his assessment on Camacho; however he offers a fair counterpoint…Camacho is on a slide.

We know what we are getting with Doucet and I’m happy for the wins. I know he isn’t going to be offensively aggressive (at all) but the other kid last night took so many bad shots. Doucet has to at least learn how to capitalize on that. Fine if he won’t create offense but the re-attack last night would’ve probably led a major if he tried to shoot at all.

Won’t happen and if he wins 2-1 all the way to an AA season I won’t care how.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
I had the pleasure of meeting Tagen’s dad in Vegas, we were pretty much matside when he lost to Hardy, he was the aggressor but didn’t quite finish 3-4 shots. I said that will be good for this young wrestler to work on finishing against a seasoned veteran. He told me that he would not lose to him again, that’s when I found out it was his father. He worked his way through the consolations against some tough wrestlers and beat Hardy to win 5th place. I chalk this up as another opportunity for Tagen to improve! He’s going to be one of the reasons we get back to winning trophies.
We have had trouble getting off bottom the last few years and Teague is inserted in the lineup as some said looking a little small. His heart damn sure isn’t small, two reversals and a huge win.
Olejnik is the most focused wrestler on the team. I know he didn’t get bonus points, but I think he’s holding back, met his entire family and he has Jan. 27th circled on the calendar.
I’m always a glass half full guy, but this team has a new attitude and if y’all can’t see it, you are definitely glass 1/4 full folks.
Can’t wait for the next dual!

NCstate wrestlers are extremely strong and coached to not give up their legs but we found ways to get to their legs.
This is the best wrestling from an OSU team in many years.
We wrestled smart and kept our focus even during tough stretches. Our mental game was just as good as our physical.
Jamison got a lesson last night against a top wrestler. He has to learn how to match the intensity of a determined top-end wrestler. This match should help him later this spring.
Daton is amazing.
Several on here doubted Teague's signing with us but I believe he is proving them wrong. He's not flashy but he is good with technique and remains calm and uses his head during matches.

Is there a replay of the matches?
It is on demand thru Espn+ and good chance might be on EspnU again if you search your provider.

I thought everyone wrestled well in this meet. Even Williams I saw no head scratching mistakes he just had a very tough opponent, he continues to improve. Biggest disappointment was Jamison because he had that match. A lot of homer ref'n with those early phantom stall calls, Fix missed takedown, Thompson with a cradle locked up on his back and sure looked like a 1s on the clock. But the Pokes beat them anyway in a hostile environment. Well done! :)

Statement Win for the Cowboys.
This answers a LOT of questions.
Only 1 match to be concerned about; yet against a determined Top 3 wrestler. OSU’s guy is learning what it takes.
Jamison was CLEARLY favoring his injured right arm…and could have/should have won. He was the aggressor.
Teague Travis likely had the upset of the weekend.
Spratley’s win shouldn’t be minimized in any way…something is off with Camacho, he’s been ranked as high as #1.

To do this, on the road, was huge. The Christmas Break training sessions seem to have worked.
True, and the one unanswered question is Williams. Time will tell. At this rate, I can’t see how he wins the wrestle-offs

It is not that won, but how we won. There was a lot of grit with the wins. Teague was probably beaten twice and just gutted it out against a ranked wrestler. We are finding ways to win against very good wrestlers. Maybe NC State was not ready for this dual, but Plott whipped a very good Fishback after he spotted him 3 points. Doucette was never in doubt, but he did not put him away until he secured riding time. I was watching the dual with my wife and told her that Doucette's match would be boring and then he took a shot in the first period. Not fully committed, but got close.
Lol, it’s the little victories

Reactions: BigDogsGottaEat
Let’s cut out the personal attacks and elevate our arguments. It will make for a much better forum. It’s ok to disagree. I appreciate @Harleycowboy ‘s perspective…he’s tough and has a high bar; yet is far from a negative Nancy.

For instance, I disagree on his assessment on Camacho; however he offers a fair counterpoint…Camacho is on a slide.
100%, this just an opinion forum, it is nothing personal. We may disagree but if we all agreed, it would get boring😉

I have been very critical of this program for the last few years and there is absolutely nothing to complain about with last night. The TOUGHEST we have wrestled in a long time, really happy with what appears to be significant progress. Those complaining about Plott have no idea how tough Fishback is, he is only a freshman and we know how good Plott is.....that kid is going to be a problem for a long time. Jamison showed his ranking is legit, Scott is an absolute beast and even if he lost he proved he belongs. Those doubting Camacho's ability simply doesn't watch wrestling, he has been a consistent top 8 stud at 125 for 4 years, that is an absolutely monumental confidence boosting win for a young Spratley. Jordan Williams........kid strikes me as he has all the physical tools and will be a bonus machine for us if we are patient with him and let him figure things out. What worries me is his body language and he doesn't look like he enjoys being out there, I hope I am wrong. Teague? badass mojo, I will take a team full of kids like this all day

It is on demand thru Espn+ and good chance might be on EspnU again if you search your provider.

I thought everyone wrestled well in this meet. Even Williams I saw no head scratching mistakes he just had a very tough opponent, he continues to improve. Biggest disappointment was Jamison because he had that match. A lot of homer ref'n with those early phantom stall calls, Fix missed takedown, Thompson with a cradle locked up on his back and sure looked like a 1s on the clock. But the Pokes beat them anyway in a hostile environment. Well done! :)
Williams needs to work on his level in a big way. He’s very high and gives up his legs with little to no resistance

I did not see the matches but it’s good to hear about Williams.

I have been very critical of this program for the last few years and there is absolutely nothing to complain about with last night. The TOUGHEST we have wrestled in a long time, really happy with what appears to be significant progress. Those complaining about Plott have no idea how tough Fishback is, he is only a freshman and we know how good Plott is.....that kid is going to be a problem for a long time. Jamison showed his ranking is legit, Scott is an absolute beast and even if he lost he proved he belongs. Those doubting Camacho's ability simply doesn't watch wrestling, he has been a consistent top 8 stud at 125 for 4 years, that is an absolutely monumental confidence boosting win for a young Spratley. Jordan Williams........kid strikes me as he has all the physical tools and will be a bonus machine for us if we are patient with him and let him figure things out. What worries me is his body language and he doesn't look like he enjoys being out there, I hope I am wrong. Teague? badass mojo, I will take a team full of kids like this all day
All said here is very spot on. I very much agree with your take on Williams, his body language is a little discouraging. He has all the athleticism a guy needs to be really good. I hope that he wants to be out there and is all in. There is a lot of wrestling left this year so we can’t jump ship after a loss to a really good top ranked guy. All things considered I hope he comes around, but good thing is that we have Carter Young who is hungry and has filled out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT