ADVERTISEMENT

Scuffle Thoughts

chasepollard

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2005
Maybe I'm being impatient...but I was hoping we would have some discussion going already?

I know it is still a long way until NYC, but the scuffle is generally a good indicator of what you can expect at NCAAs. Leading up to the tourney, I was most excited about 157 & 184. After the tourney, I'm inclined to say that we are going to need some luck to bring home 35? I believe Collica will show up and perform, so I'm not real worried about him...and 49 was a pretty tough weight although it was missing several AAs. I'm actually moving into a line of thinking that 74 is not going to go the way we want and neither will HWT. With Snyder planning on Wrestling, that moves Marsden further away from regaining AA status.

Depending on the severity of Brock's injury, I'm also inclined to say that both should stay in their shirts for the rest of the year due to the facts that it's an uphill climb to win it with them healthy.

With them healthy and full speed.
125 - AA in the 5-8 range
133 - AA in the 5-8 range
141 - Finalist with a possible champ
149 - possible AA, but it's iffy
157 - AA, guessing 3-4
165 - Champ
174 - AA, but could find himself looking in if he decides to score late.
184 - a few points
HWT- see 174

I just don't see that being enough to overtake the Top spot in March? PSU beat us heads up by 5 if we had Smith count. I understand that there are things that could happen, but I see Mega, Retherford, Nickal and Mcintosh as semi finalists at the minimum. Given, Crutchmer and Collica could wrestle on fire...but I'm not sure it can be counted on? I don't think its enough to pull the shirts on the two youngsters? Next years lineup would have high probable AAs at 25, 33, 41, 49, 57, 65 (if CM is still around), & 74...and who knows what happens at 84, 97 and HWT.

I don't want to take away anything from Heils, Mardesens and AD's performance because those guys were great this weekend but overall I think the scuffle may have hurt our outlook for March.

Obviously the overwhelming negative to the weekend was the injury to Brock as if he is out for the year it comes close to putting the nail in the coffin to our chase for 35 IMO. I also had hoped to see Collica take additional steps towards solidifying his spot as a potential AA but to this point in the season it is more in the air than I had hoped. Now health could still be an issue here.

I'm not as conceded about 174 because this inconsistency has been the worry. Sure when your top seed finished 5th and loses to his backup mid-season that is not good but he still posses the ability to beat anyone at this weight,

Snyder jumping back in certainly doesn't help us at 285 and I would agree we need some luck and obviously Brock and Collica to be fully healthy to have a shot.

Mardsen in his first varsity action did okay and maybe he was a little amped up but it's hard not to be disappointed at this weight.

On the bright side I think we have two guaranteed finalists in Heil and obviously AD with both having great shots to win it all (AD if healthy is as a sure thing there is this year). Heil has added a level of consistency and maturity that seperated great wrestlers from championship wrestlers and showed that this weekend.

Smith beats Nolf the next time they wrestle. Just like in the IMAR match he was a little hesitant and star struck in the first but he IMO was the better wrestler the last two periods. He is very talented from all 3 positions and very strong for a true freshman.

Boyd looks physically stronger and has made steady inprombement through the year and I think he continues to do so and finishes strong. Not sure his ceiling this year but was impressed with him.

Kilmara showed his ability to consistently beat some that are close to his skill and ranking which is a good sign. Still a gap between him and the top 3-4 but his ability to beat everyone else and continue to that consistently is a good sign.

For someone that knows how this tournament was scored.....if only the starters could score points (and Joe Smith was a starter) how would that have changed the scores. So, Gulibon scores for PSU rather than Moss and Crutchmer rather than Rogers.

Edit: I might have figured it out. It looks like PSU would have scored 166.5 removing Hammond and Moss replacing with their starters Rasheed and Gulibon. OSU would have been at 172.5 removing C. Rogers and Lamons and replacing with K. Crutchmer and J. Smith.

Last edited:
Reactions: tmjdoc
I believe Joe Smith was technically wrestling unattached and not part of the official OSU squad.

We would've gained 21 with Smith and lost one with Lemons. I think Boyd and Rogers were exactly the same?

Gulibon scoring would've helped us

This tournament was probably the best I've ever seen Jordan Rogers look since he got to college but that head to head probably seals the deal on who the man is at 184 I'm really interested to see if there's gonna be a change at 174 now chandler has a real wide open style that kid can put on points for your team still a little unsure about 157 I thought the scuffle would be Marsteller's last "chance" to have the spot but he didn't go for what I'd guess we're some type of disciplinary reasons (don't think it's what PSU board said it was) and yet Smith still went unattattched hope Kaid Brock is ok if indeed it is season ending which I hope it's not is it possible we see Magaldo try to once again make a decension down to 133?

I would be very surprised if we see a change at 174. I do think Chandler will with improvement, be in the NC mix next year at 165.

He is VERY talented offensively but struggled with the bigger grinders at 174.

I would be very surprised if we see a change at 174. I do think Chandler will with improvement, be in the NC mix next year at 165.

He is VERY talented offensively but struggled with the bigger grinders at 174.
To be fair I thought he had Realbuto pinned in their match he also completely controlled the match with Crutchmer that's a major improvement from the last time they wrestled and the guy he lost to for 3rd handled Realbuto in the consi semis

Reactions: osu2082
My thoughts after watching the scuffle.

If Brock is out for the year, I would say keep Joe a RS. Because with Brock out, 35 doesn't look like it will happen. There are too many teams out there that we not at the scuffle that would have a lot to say in march. 41 and 65 are locks for us IMO. Klimara won't get past 4th unless someone gets injured or upset. Brock would be top 4, Collica is wishy washy, he would end up 7-8. Joe would be top 4. Crutchmer top 4, Chandler if he could go, top 4. Boyd will be an AA, no hope at 197, Marsden will be an AA, nobody beating Gwiz.

The thing that will bite in March is Collica and Crutchmer will beat guys they shouldn't then turn around and lose to guys they should handle.....

Now mind you, there is still 2.5 months until NCAA's, Collica and Crutch will have a better showing than at the scuffle. IF Brock is OK, I think 35 is in the bag....

Last edited:
Reactions: gyppoke
On 197,

Both Weigel and Marsden didn't wrestle too badly, they had some tough matches. Weigel needs more offense. Marsden goes out at 200 MPH and then gases in the second. If he slows it down, but works tough throughout, I think he could be in the quarters for sure. He seems to rely on upper body too much.

On 197,

Both Weigel and Marsden didn't wrestle too badly, they had some tough matches. Weigel needs more offense. Marsden goes out at 200 MPH and then gases in the second. If he slows it down, but works tough throughout, I think he could be in the quarters for sure. He seems to rely on upper body too much.

I think some of that with Mardsen is just youth, nerves and excitement which would have all been amped up this weekend making his varsity debut. I do think he can improve on that to a degree. If he can do that as well add some strength he could give us something down the stretch.

My thoughts after watching the scuffle.

If Brock is out for the year, I would say keep Joe a RS. Because with Brock out, 35 doesn't look like it will happen. There are too many teams out there that we not at the scuffle that would have a lot to say in march. 41 and 65 are locks for us IMO. Klimara won't get past 4th unless someone gets injured or upset. Brock would be top 4, Collica is wishy washy, he would end up 7-8. Joe would be top 4. Crutchmer top 4, Chandler if he could go, top 4. Boyd will be an AA, no hope at 197, Marsden will be an AA, nobody beating Gwiz.

The thing that will bite in March is Collica and Crutchmer will beat guys they shouldn't then turn around and lose to guys they should handle.....

Now mind you, there is still 2.5 months until NCAA's, Collica and Crutch will have a better showing than at the scuffle. IF Brock is OK, I think 35 is in the bag....

In the bag???? Really?? Then you'd certainly put money on that! If so I'd gladly place a wager and we can do this through PayPal....If Brock is ok, of course, and I'll let you name your price!

In the bag???? Really?? Then you'd certainly put money on that! If so I'd gladly place a wager and we can do this through PayPal....If Brock is ok, of course, and I'll let you name your price!
What is it with certain PSU fans always wanting to place wagers based on comments on a message board?! So if you coming here and saying name a price you seem pretty confident. Will you take all wagers? Any price? How about 2:1 odds?

Here's my logic....Marsteller is probly gonna be out at 157 and Joe will be inserted, especially at how well he did at the scuffle, again I think it depends on the severity of Brock's injury. With that let's take for instance all are healthy and wrestling come march......The STARTERS are in bold.
PSU ; OSU
125: 25 ; 21.5
133: 20 ; 11
141: .5,8.5 ; 24.5
149: 28.5 ; 13
157: 28 ; 21
165: 7,15.5 ; 29.5
174: 25 ; 12, 17.5
184: 5 ; 15
197: 27.5 ; 2
285: 0 ; 22
Tot: 166.5 ; 171.5
183 ; 177

Here is what I'm getting at.....if you add in Joe Smith, we are 6 points behind PSU.
Note: Brock went out with an injury in the semi's, and had to default 2 matches, that's more points you can count on. Same thing with McCutcheon. It's just gonna come down to 141, 165 for PSU and can OSU get 197 at least to the tournament. If OSU sends 10, Brock is healthy and Smith is there, it's ours.

What is it with certain PSU fans always wanting to place wagers based on comments on a message board?! So if you coming here and saying name a price you seem pretty confident. Will you take all wagers? Any price? How about 2:1 odds?

Why would I have to give 2:1 odds when Poel, said its "in the bag"????

Based off what we know at this point...Brock is an unknown. Ive watched it several times now, and his knee did not have a violent movement that suggests ligament damage that would require surgery. If I had to guess, I would say that he has a decent grade tear on one of the outer ligaments and possible meniscus tear? I am not a surgeon and injuries have a way of fooling me.

Anyway, based off knowns: I would say that we cannot count on Colica or 184 to give us a ton of point. Crutchmer is also a risky bet based on his ability to recognize that winning by one at the buzzer is not a desired trait. I will say that brackets could be kind to us at all three weights, or they could be brutal? Also, Snyder jumping back into the mix will most likely hinder the points scored at 285.

I would say that we can count on more points at 125, 141 and 165 than we can at 149 and 184. We can assume more points will be scored at 174 and 285 than 49 and 84. With Brock's injury, 33 and 57 are still up in the air, but I am confident that we can throw 57 into the mix with 25, 41 and 65 as a generous point scorer.

In March, you never know what will happen. You can always count on upsets, a combination of draw types and performance. The only way I see us bringing home 35 is;

#1 - Brock and Smith both Wrestle and both AA. If healthy, I think Brock is an AA, I know Smith is (barring crazy happenings.) 33 is a tough weight, but Brock should get it done if healthy.
#2 - Crutchmer has to be a semi-finalist
#3 - Marsden has to be a semi-finalist
#4 - Collica has to AA
#5 - 84 has to get to the round of 12.

With that happening, you would have to think we received some kind draws and our rough draws came at 41 and 65...which wouldn't matter. After the scuffle, I realized that March isn't going to follow rankings and the team race is up in the air. The only thing that isn't up in the air is PSU has 5 guys that could be finalists if the bracket unfolds well and 3 guys that are most likely finalists. Mega, Retherford, Nickal, Nolf and McCutcheon are possible finalists...Mega, Retherford and Nolf are likely finalists.

I will say though, I think Smith gets Nolf the next go round, so he may not be a finalist?

My dream March would be;

125 - 4th place
133 - 3rd place
141 - Champ
149 - 5th place
157 - runner up
165 - Champ and OW
174 - runner up
184 - 7th place
197 - somebody shows up
285 - 4th place

If that happened, yeah, its in the bag! In reality, we have 5 AAs Wrestling right now, but would need 7 or some huge points out of the 5 and r12 out of several others. March should be fun for certain!

I will bet 2to 1 with April. is that the bet. Magaldo is fast tracking down to 133 which if he can handle the cut will help a lot. We haven't lost yet even if Brock is out for the season.

Based off what we know at this point...Brock is an unknown. Ive watched it several times now, and his knee did not have a violent movement that suggests ligament damage that would require surgery. If I had to guess, I would say that he has a decent grade tear on one of the outer ligaments and possible meniscus tear? I am not a surgeon and injuries have a way of fooling me.

Anyway, based off knowns: I would say that we cannot count on Colica or 184 to give us a ton of point. Crutchmer is also a risky bet based on his ability to recognize that winning by one at the buzzer is not a desired trait. I will say that brackets could be kind to us at all three weights, or they could be brutal? Also, Snyder jumping back into the mix will most likely hinder the points scored at 285.

I would say that we can count on more points at 125, 141 and 165 than we can at 149 and 184. We can assume more points will be scored at 174 and 285 than 49 and 84. With Brock's injury, 33 and 57 are still up in the air, but I am confident that we can throw 57 into the mix with 25, 41 and 65 as a generous point scorer.

In March, you never know what will happen. You can always count on upsets, a combination of draw types and performance. The only way I see us bringing home 35 is;

#1 - Brock and Smith both Wrestle and both AA. If healthy, I think Brock is an AA, I know Smith is (barring crazy happenings.) 33 is a tough weight, but Brock should get it done if healthy.
#4 - Collica has to AA

With that happening, you would have to think we received some kind draws and our rough draws came at 41 and 65...which wouldn't matter. After the scuffle, I realized that March isn't going to follow rankings and the team race is up in the air. The only thing that isn't up in the air is PSU has 5 guys that could be finalists if the bracket unfolds well and 3 guys that are most likely finalists. Mega, Retherford, Nickal, Nolf and McCutcheon are possible finalists...Mega, Retherford and Nolf are likely finalists.

I will say though, I think Smith gets Nolf the next go round, so he may not be a finalist?

My dream March would be;

125 - 4th place
133 - 3rd place
141 - Champ
149 - 5th place
157 - runner up
165 - Champ and OW
174 - runner up
184 - 7th place
197 - somebody shows up
285 - 4th place

If that happened, yeah, its in the bag! In reality, we have 5 AAs Wrestling right now, but would need 7 or some huge points out of the 5 and r12 out of several others. March should be fun for certain!
I think you mean Mcintosh instead of mccutcheon. I think you are pretty close. I actually think I see Nickal as a finalist before mega. Nickal has beaten just about everyone at the top. Mega already lost to Dance and I see him probably behind Tomasello and Gilman.

Reactions: PSiloveU
I will bet 2to 1 with April. is that the bet. Magaldo is fast tracking down to 133 which if he can handle the cut will help a lot. We haven't lost yet even if Brock is out for the season.
It would be interesting to see Magaldo at 33, would that pull Smiths shirt?

Yeah, my mistake...I was thinking about injuries in my head and that is what I typed out.

You are probably right on Mega, but I just have a hunch he turns it on in March against one of those guys. Also, I want to see Nickal some more and that weight is wide open after the quarters, maybe prior to that? That is what is so maddening with Crutchmer! If he would just score, instead of doing whatever it is he does, he would be hard to keep up with. Who cares if he isn't tough on top? I really don't think anybody could stay with him if he would give an honest attempt at just twice the attempts he makes.

Togneto, with the info that Magaldo is sped up his pace to be at 33, is that conceding that a Medshirt is in the making for Brock?

Why wouldn't Magaldo have been cutting to 133 all year with Heil in front of him at 41 and Brock initially redshirting?

Why wouldn't Magaldo have been cutting to 133 all year with Heil in front of him at 41 and Brock initially redshirting?
Magaldo was going to be the back up at 141/149. Before his concussion he was working down to 133 because of what was happening at 133. Got a concussion at a tournament up north wrestling at 141, John pulled Brocks RS after that.

#4 - Collica has to AA

My dream March would be;

125 - 4th place
133 - 3rd place
141 - Champ
149 - 5th place
157 - runner up
165 - Champ and OW
174 - runner up
184 - 7th place
197 - somebody shows up
285 - 4th place

I agree March will be fun and interesting. Predictions are just that and you never know what will happen -we have been on both sides.
Mark Perry and Randy Willingham both high seeds maybe more than once (1 I think and placed low or maybe not at all - can't remember that far back)
John Smith as a 3 seed as a true freshman did not place
Tom Erickson undefeated number 1 seed twice and ended up in consultation finals both years I believe)
Mark Branch as an unseeded wrestler makes it to the finals and wins
Jake Rosholt as a freshman - low seed and wins
Josh Kindig low seed and makes it to the finals

There are many others, but these come to mind in trying to predict what will happen in March. This is what makes it exciting - looking for the next Mark Branch or Rosholt to get us to 35.

Last edited:
Reactions: osu2082 and jon_osu
Wow, ok racer, I'll take it oh wait, ¥
Mike we already have a bet and I lost Nevilles. 2:1 I want two pics. Lol.

Wow, ok racer, I'll take it oh wait, ¥

Mike we already have a bet and I lost Nevilles. 2:1 I want two pics. Lol.
I have never seen a Magaldo result that would make me think he is the answer at 133. He does not seem to be that good at 41 so I don't know what some of you are thinking. I think if Kaid will not be close to 100% you red shirt Joe. Pen. St has some great young wrestlers now and have a much better class than we do coming in next year. The Joe and Kaid class is very good but a class before so far has been a real disappointment (Blees Marstellar and Weigel) I don't see a starting position for Harding. I like Rogers but he has gotten stuck in crowded weight classes and so he not starting. Marsden can do some weird stuff and score a lot of points but just as easily give up points in bundles. Someone has to get him in the weight room and teach him to sprawl when an opponent shoots on his legs. He is good with a cradle but his grip needs to improve because I seen several times his grip break right when he is on his back. I hope that our class coming in develops and is better than I think they are. Hopefully Sheets improves like his dad did. The HWT is a real important recruit but when I have watched his matches on video I wasn't overly impressed. The Minnesota kid is very strong and in great shape. He could be special but he will need to improve a bunch on his feet. I was hoping the scuffle would show 35 is close but the results didn't. Of course everyone knows I am not mister optimistic but I think we are behind Pen.St. and maybe Ohio State again. Time will tell, and hope we get good news with Kaid's injury.

I was hoping the scuffle would show 35 is close but the results didn't.

While due to Collicas and Crutchs roller coaster and Brocks injury I didn't just love how the scuffle turned out, the scuffle did the exact opposite of what you said here...

Obviously Brock's health being assumed the starters point break down between us and PSU with Joe Joe would absolutely show that 35 "is close."

As for next year which at this point is really dumb to look at but you did in mentioning PSU's young wrestlers. OSU will have AA potential at 8 weights with top 4 potential in 4 of those so our young wrestlers are pretty good as well.

I have never seen a Magaldo result that would make me think he is the answer at 133. He does not seem to be that good at 41 so I don't know what some of you are thinking. I think if Kaid will not be close to 100% you red shirt Joe. Pen. St has some great young wrestlers now and have a much better class than we do coming in next year. The Joe and Kaid class is very good but a class before so far has been a real disappointment (Blees Marstellar and Weigel) I don't see a starting position for Harding. I like Rogers but he has gotten stuck in crowded weight classes and so he not starting. Marsden can do some weird stuff and score a lot of points but just as easily give up points in bundles. Someone has to get him in the weight room and teach him to sprawl when an opponent shoots on his legs. He is good with a cradle but his grip needs to improve because I seen several times his grip break right when he is on his back. I hope that our class coming in develops and is better than I think they are. Hopefully Sheets improves like his dad did. The HWT is a real important recruit but when I have watched his matches on video I wasn't overly impressed. The Minnesota kid is very strong and in great shape. He could be special but he will need to improve a bunch on his feet. I was hoping the scuffle would show 35 is close but the results didn't. Of course everyone knows I am not mister optimistic but I think we are behind Pen.St. and maybe Ohio State again. Time will tell, and hope we get good news with Kaid's injury.
He's shown some bright spots I'm one of the guys that thinks he can contribute nicely given the opportunity he may not have beaten anybody of significance in his redshirt year but neither did chandler Rogers and look at him right now but this is all baring what is to come of Kaid Brock

He's shown some bright spots I'm one of the guys that thinks he can contribute nicely given the opportunity he may not have beaten anybody of significance in his redshirt year but neither did chandler Rogers and look at him right now but this is all baring what is to come of Kaid Brock
Shoot, look at Heil, there were plenty of people worried after hi RS year. I would really like to see Magaldo get some good matches in.

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
Shoot, look at Heil, there were plenty of people worried after hi RS year. I would really like to see Magaldo get some good matches in.
I am also of the opinion that Magaldo could be better at 133 if he can make the weight and still be strong. He has excellent technical skills. Still hoping that Brock returns quickly and we may know more after tonight and John's show if it is not bumped for Gundy's show.

Anyone with intelligence thinks beyond this year. Everyone who is questioning Joe Smith redshirting or not is thinking beyond this year. If they weren't, Joe Smith would have been taken out of redshirt much earlier because he is by far our best 57. If Kaid is going to be out the rest of the year I think we should red shirt Joe. I do not know the rules but I hope Kaid can still redshirt. Truth is we have not had much luck for a lot of years.

Anyone with intelligence thinks beyond this year. Everyone who is questioning Joe Smith redshirting or not is thinking beyond this year. If they weren't, Joe Smith would have been taken out of redshirt much earlier because he is by far our best 57. If Kaid is going to be out the rest of the year I think we should red shirt Joe. I do not know the rules but I hope Kaid can still redshirt. Truth is we have not had much luck for a lot of years.
My take on it, if John Smith will pull his sons RS then I feel he thinks Magaldo not only handle the cut but do well at 133. John and everybody else has seen what is already at 133, so we know we won't qualify at that weight come Nationals unless Magaldo is the man.

My take on it, if John Smith will pull his sons RS then I feel he thinks Magaldo not only handle the cut but do well at 133. John and everybody else has seen what is already at 133, so we know we won't qualify at that weight come Nationals unless Magaldo is the man.
I did not listen to the show but my faithful scribe Mr. Earl did and told me that John said Brock was out for the year and that he was 95% certain Joe would be coming out of redshirt and that Joe wanted to come out this year.
Penn State is only going to get stronger next year and in the coming 3-4 years. They have a very young and strong team. If we are going to challenge for a championship it has to be this year IMO. Losing Kaid is a big blow but with the addition of Joe we will be stronger. I am not kidding myself into believing we can replace the points that Kaid would get at Nationals but I think John is making the right decision with Joe. We have no other options this year at 157 and this will give Joe more experience. He does not lack in talent or heart but still needs to get more comfortable wrestling the top 157 pounders this year. The only truly weak weight is 197. It appears that Andrew Marsden will be the starter from here on out. Wrestling for the rest of this year will help him in upcoming seasons and we also need a strong recruit at this weight.

Well, if John Smith leaves Joe Smith in redshirt, it pretty much says he concedes this year...I have a hard time seeing him do that?

Is AA points at 125, 149, 157, 174 and 285 with finalist at 141 & 165 enough? I still think it comes down to who scores more bonus points and who gets lucky or unlucky.

125 - PSU > OSU
133 - PSU > OSU
141 - PSU < OSU
149 - PSU > OSU
157 - PSU = OSU
165 - PSU < OSU
174 - PSU > OSU
184 - PSU > OSU
197 - PSU > OSU
285 - PSU < OSU

That's a little concerning to me because it might be 7 to 3 but at best it's 6-4 with the advantage to PSU? We are going to need some luck no matter what!

Did Magaldo certify at 133? Didn't he have to in order to wrestle that weight?

I wouldn't give PSU much of an edge at 174. Crutchmer has proven he can up his game in March and it will all be new for Nickal.

Nickal also just took his first loss this weekend to the #12 ranked kid from Indiana.

That weight is still wide open.

2082, wouldn't you say that he did benefit from that fickle mistress that is March? Not to diminish what he accomplished, but his draw was favorable. I do however believe he has what it takes...

2082, wouldn't you say that he did benefit from that fickle mistress that is March? Not to diminish what he accomplished, but his draw was favorable. I do however believe he has what it takes...

I agree but he also had a few big wins down the stretch and nearly landed in the semis. I just think he is a guy who has experienced the beast that the national tournament is and will have an advantage on a guy like Nickal experiencing it for the first time.

I think Nickal is the most talented of the bunch but as we have seen, many times talent alone doesn't win it.

Reactions: chasepollard
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT