141 Dusty Hone vs. Trevor Jeffries Dec.Hone 8-4
149 Boo vs. Jaron Jensen MD Boo 12-4
157 Wyatt Sheets vs. Dewey Krueger dec. Sheets 15-4
165 Travis Wittlake vs. Cole Moody MD Wittlake 19-4
174 Joe Smith vs. Hayden Hastings dec. Joe 22-4
184 Montalvo vs. Tate Samuelson dec Montalvo 25-4
197 Dakota Geer vs. Steven Buchanan dec. Geer 28-4
285 Austin Harris vs. Brian Andrews MD Andrews 28-8

The one I'd worry about is Joe. We don't know for sure what kind of shape he is in and he is wrestling a ranked kid in the 2nd match of the day at altitude.

Does anyone know if Joe needs 17 matches to maximize his seed at Nationals? He's only got 7 right now with 4 duals and the Big12s remaining.

The Last Chance Open is on 2/23, but that's the same date as Iowa. Don't see him missing that.

Does anyone know if Joe needs 17 matches to maximize his seed at Nationals? He's only got 7 right now with 4 duals and the Big12s remaining.

The Last Chance Open is on 2/23, but that's the same date as Iowa. Don't see him missing that.

He will see #12 and #10 which he should/has to beat before seeing #1 Kremerer.

Hopefully he hits Bastian and either Hastings or the OU kid at the Big 12s to get two more ranked wins before getting the UNI kid in the finals. That’s his chance to get a big win and get into the top 8 seeding IMO.

He will see #12 and #10 which he should/has to beat before seeing #1 Kremerer.

Hopefully he hits Bastian and either Hastings or the OU kid at the Big 12s to get two more ranked wins before getting the UNI kid in the finals. That’s his chance to get a big win and get into the top 8 seeding IMO.

I was referring to the # of matches needed to earn an RPI ranking. I believe it's 17 D1 matches. RPI rankings are then part of the criteria to determine NCAA seeds.

Edit, just checked and WrestleStat has it at 15 matches. Joe will probably just make it then if he wrestles all matches thru the Big12s.

Last edited:
I was referring to the # of matches needed to earn an RPI ranking. I believe it's 17 D1 matches. RPI rankings are then part of the criteria to determine NCAA seeds.

Edit, just checked and WrestleStat has it at 15 matches. Joe will probably just make it then if he wrestles all matches thru the Big12s.
I could be wrong but think what 2082 is pointing out is that he doesn't need the RPI (& he may well still get it) to be seeded as high as he should be at NCAA. If he is actually good enough to beat all those except #1 then he should get a decent seed. Bit different than last year when he had zero matches at 165 (pre b12) then didn't win the B12 tourney.

Reactions: osu2082
Did anyone else think Joe looked a little gimpy at the end of his match? Solid win for him.

Did anyone else think Joe looked a little gimpy at the end of his match? Solid win for him.

Joe looked pretty good and finally getting back into shape. He still is not very good on bottom.

25-2. Flo said there was a team point deducted in the 184lb match.
Not a very impressive match by us. Pic wrestled poor for him. Witcraft was the star on our team tonight winning over Bridges. Hone couldn't get the last takedown for the major and so just wrestled okay. Boo has not wrestled his best in the last 10 days and tonight he was not sharp. Sheets won by major and might have hit the good marker. Wittlake has not improved a bit in the last month and he needs to score more. Joe wrestled okay and won. His opponent lost to Fresno 8 to 0 Thursday night and tonight NDSU backup 57 Weber beat Martino Fresno's 74 by a clear decision. Montalvo is active but doesn't score which you have to be able to score a lot against an opponent like he had tonight. I don't want to even talk about Geer's opponent and match tonight. Yes his opponent shoved his face into the mat at the end and geer did nothing because he could barely stand up. A true freshman who wasn't a ranked recruit. HWT just wrestled a way better wrestler but could have not got teched. I know this was going to be a tough day but again not impressive

Probably the best Joe has looked this year. Might have been the 8 hour recovery time. The post season's 2 hour weigh in should help him. If he can get his conditioning up enough to go a hard 7 minutes, he could do damage at Nationals.

I like Harris, he battles. But he's just too small when going against the bigger heavies. Putnam has better size and athleticism. If he would only shoot. Putnam previously had two close losses to the Wyoming heavy.

If people are complaining about OSU’s performance against Wyoming, remember, they almost were beat by them last time and OSU had a far better team

Reactions: osu2082
If people are complaining about OSU’s performance against Wyoming, remember, they almost were beat by them last time and OSU had a far better team
I do not know about everyone else but my overall picture of the Wyoming Dual is colored greatly by Geer's loss. We won 8 out of 10 matches and one was certainly expected at Heavy but The 20% included Geer's loss. It should have been offset by Witcraft's upset but not in my mind. We are funny that way. Harley is right that several of our wrestlers were uninspired but we have to credit the opponent in some instances including Wyoming's wrestler at 125. According to the announcer he spent practices in the last few days working on not getting turned by Pic and it worked. At 133 Bridges made ten shots to every one of Witcraft's but he never even touched his leg. You could see the confidence build on Witcraft from the start and he had the only takedown of the match in OT. At 141 Dusty just could not get the takedown that could have made it a major. Was it altitude in his match and in Geer's I would be hard pressed to say. In Geer's match he lost several scrambles which is rare for him. He was just off by a hair. I am willing to say that his opponent was inspired and came to win. Stat wise we had 22 takedowns to their 4 (2 of which came in the Geer match. Near falls were even at two each(both of theirs came at heavy and our both came at 149) I can appreciate why Harley said Pic did not look good but when the norm for him is 3-4 near-falls it looks like he did not wrestle well. However he had three takedowns and almost 4 minutes of riding time. All in all we had three losses out of 20 but our expectations were higher. I think we were saving our energy for the Bedlam match.

LETS GO POKES!!!

Reactions: PokeGrad05
The Pokes looked fine vs Wyoming. The travel and altitude got to Geer but everyone else handled it ok. Nice wins for Reece and Joe.
Nice win for Reece at WY , I'd just call them plain wins for Joe. I see no change since first 2 matches a scuffle, he hasn't turned the corner on intensity, finding a mean streak & wrestling every second for 7 minutes. Just as in scuffle wins (& So yr) he opens up shots with ankle pick etc but then hesitates and doesn't jump on it & finish. Only going to get one or two chances against top guys. Joe has the talent to win it all, he can still turn that corner, but the current version not likely to beat anyone in the top 10. Hastings isn't that good.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
Nice win for Reece at WY , I'd just call them plain wins for Joe. I see no change since first 2 matches a scuffle, he hasn't turned the corner on intensity, finding a mean streak & wrestling every second for 7 minutes. Just as in scuffle wins (& So yr) he opens up shots with ankle pick etc but then hesitates and doesn't jump on it & finish. Only going to get one or two chances against top guys. Joe has the talent to win it all, he can still turn that corner, but the current version not likely to beat anyone in the top 10. Hastings isn't that good.

I'm not ready to say Joe is back or that he will for sure All-American. That being said, I think he looks night and day better than he did at the Scuffle.

Hastings is probably ranked too high, but he's much better than the 2 guys Joe beat at the Scuffle. Joe got a takedown at the beginning of the 1st and then another one with short time remaining in the period. But then he couldn't get one with about a minute left in the 3rd that would have given him the major. So his conditioning is improving, but it needs to get better.

Since Joe's chances at Nationals will come down to stamina, I recommend something I normally wouldn't - skip the Iowa dual. Have Joe go to the Last Chance Open on 2/23 and get 4 or 5 D1 matches in. It'll help prepare him for Big12s & Nationals, plus he'll earn the RPI ranking. Send Brock Martin also. If he fairs well, start in him in the post season.

Hastings is probably ranked too high, but he's much better than the 2 guys Joe beat at the Scuffle. Joe got a takedown at the beginning of the 1st and then another one with short time remaining in the period. But then he couldn't get one with about a minute left in the 3rd that would have given him the major. So his conditioning is improving, but it needs to get better.

Since Joe's chances at Nationals will come down to stamina, I recommend something I normally wouldn't - skip the Iowa dual. Have Joe go to the Last Chance Open on 2/23 and get 4 or 5 D1 matches in. It'll help prepare him for Big12s & Nationals, plus he'll earn the RPI ranking. Send Brock Martin also. If he fairs well, start in him in the post season.
What I'm talking about is not a conditioning thing, it's how he is wrestling and intensity, it hasn't changed but still could.

What I'm talking about is not a conditioning thing, it's how he is wrestling and intensity, it hasn't changed but still could.

Maybe you need to explain that to John. On his radio show last night, John said the same thing that I posted a few days ago - Joe wrestled the best he has all year. He also talked about his conditioning.

It's all related. Better conditioning means you can wrestle at a higher pace. When you wrestle at a higher pace, you attack more, which sharpens your technique. It's coming for Joe, but he needs more matches IMO.

Reactions: osu2082 and oberebo
I do not know about everyone else but my overall picture of the Wyoming Dual is colored greatly by Geer's loss. We won 8 out of 10 matches and one was certainly expected at Heavy but The 20% included Geer's loss. It should have been offset by Witcraft's upset but not in my mind. We are funny that way. Harley is right that several of our wrestlers were uninspired but we have to credit the opponent in some instances including Wyoming's wrestler at 125. According to the announcer he spent practices in the last few days working on not getting turned by Pic and it worked. At 133 Bridges made ten shots to every one of Witcraft's but he never even touched his leg. You could see the confidence build on Witcraft from the start and he had the only takedown of the match in OT. At 141 Dusty just could not get the takedown that could have made it a major. Was it altitude in his match and in Geer's I would be hard pressed to say. In Geer's match he lost several scrambles which is rare for him. He was just off by a hair. I am willing to say that his opponent was inspired and came to win. Stat wise we had 22 takedowns to their 4 (2 of which came in the Geer match. Near falls were even at two each(both of theirs came at heavy and our both came at 149) I can appreciate why Harley said Pic did not look good but when the norm for him is 3-4 near-falls it looks like he did not wrestle well. However he had three takedowns and almost 4 minutes of riding time. All in all we had three losses out of 20 but our expectations were higher. I think we were saving our energy for the Bedlam match.

LETS GO POKES!!!
Geer has not been right all year at this weight. Hope he can pull it together by championships

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT