ADVERTISEMENT

OK State vs. Minnesota

I don't think I've ever seen us lose 4 upset matches to average wrestlers in a dual before.

Reactions: bwel9339
Prob couldve won 3 of those matches by simply wrestling smarter, know time, stall situation etc. but winning with a better effort is preferred.

Voinovich lost a close decision, could not get a takedown.
G won by decision over the 2nd rated 157, but we lose the dual mostly because Sheets, Wittlake, Surber and Doucette wrestling so poorly. G and Young wrestled good. Coach Smith has stressed development but didn't see much of that besides Carter and G.

Reactions: bwel9339
Also, Wittlake is going to struggle at 184 but he would struggle more at 165. If Haas were healthy I think we'd see him in some dual meets. Even with all the negatives we should've learned a lot from this meet, let's see if we can fix some thing by next week.

This has the potential to be the worst OSU wrestling team we've ever seen.

If Young can keep hitting that arm drag to an outside step single leg he is going to be hard to beat . Creating offense without hitting an knee is impressive.
Looked like he picked up some good stuff on his trip to Italy .

WE GOT BEAT BECAUSE WE DID NOT WIN A SINGLE TOSS-UP MATCH FROM 165 TO HEAVYWEIGHT. WE HAD GOOD CHANCES AT 165,197 AND HEAVYWEIGHT BUT FAILED TO WIN THE CLOSE ONES AND WE GOT OUT-MUSCLED AT 184. TWO BRIGHT SPOTS AT 141 AND. 157 AS THEY WERE MUCH HIGHER RANKED AND HEAVILY FAVORED AT #2 AND #3 IN THE COUNTRY. MY PREDICTIONS COULD NOT HAVE BEEN FARTHER OFF. IF WE HAD JUST ONE MATCH GO OUR WAY IN THE UPPER WEIGHTS BESIDES PLOTT WHO WAS FAVORED WE WOULD HAVE WON THE DUAL.(FIX WOULD NOT HAVE HAD TO CONCENTRATE ON GETTING THE FALL AND COULD HAVE EASILY GOTTEN A MAJOR MAKING THE SCORE 16-15. CREDIT MINNESOTA FOR NOT ALLOWING US TO GET THOSE WINS. CARTER AND GFELLER DOMINATED THEIR HIGHLY RANKED OPPONENTS EVEN THOUGH THE SCORES WERE LOW( I TOLD EVERYONE AROUND ME THAT THEY DID NOT WRESTLE BRAYTON LEE BECAUSE HE JUST WAS NOT IN THE MATCH. TALKED TO J CARL AFTER THE MATCH AND HE SAID IT WAS HIM ACCORDING TO THE MINNESOTA SI. NOT AS DOWN AS EVERYONE ELSE SEEMS TO BE BECAUSE OF DTHOSE TWO PERFORMANCES. ALSO HAD 6 MATCHES WHERE WE DID NOT HAVE A TAKEDOWN EVEN THOUGH WE WE HAD 8 TAKEDOWNS TO THEIR 6 PRIMARILY DUE TO PLOTT AND FIX.

Last edited:
I have never seen so many wrestlers so slow footed. These guys need ballet lessons.
Our mat awareness and match strategy were atrocious. Dayton building up riding time when we needed a major was head scratching. The inability to get off bottom or keep our legs away when we shot singles was frustrating.
One question for the people who know the rules. There were several times when we had takedowns on the edge and the ref gave us the takedown but ruled off the mat when we still had our feet on the mat. it really hurt Surber on his last takedown as they had to restart when Surber had both feet in bounds and could have run off valuable seconds that cost him at the end.

Reactions: driad
I have never seen so many wrestlers so slow footed. These guys need ballet lessons.
Our mat awareness and match strategy were atrocious. Dayton building up riding time when we needed a major was head scratching. The inability to get off bottom or keep our legs away when we shot singles was frustrating.
One question for the people who know the rules. There were several times when we had takedowns on the edge and the ref gave us the takedown but ruled off the mat when we still had our feet on the mat. it really hurt Surber on his last takedown as they had to restart when Surber had both feet in bounds and could have run off valuable seconds that cost him at the end.

I think that ref royally sucked. He took certain victory away from our heavyweight.

Reactions: Dugan2035
Mastro hasn’t seemed to improve much if any since he’s been on campus. Im tired of making up excuses for him being hurt or whatever else. He can’t get off bottom. He can’t separate the score. He doesn’t shoot and he shows no assertion. At this point I am pretty sure he is who he is which isn’t AA material.

That guy Wittlake wrestled was huge. Wittlake clearly is undersized and over powered. He didn’t take one shot which was incredibly disappointing bc it looks like he’s turning back into the same Wittlake we saw last year.

Surber looked lost. By far the most foolish performance I’ve seen from any cowboy wrestler in a while. The figure four backpack ride, not once but twice and getting a point called against him. What the hell is that? Terrible wrestling from him.

Doucet did nothing and lost the match because he did nothing. You got 40 lbs on a guy and you can’t find a way to use that to your advantage? Kid must of been strong as an ox.

Great effort from Carter. Really happy to see him get off bottom and finish one of the several shots he took. Carter really needs to bottle whatever energy and aggressiveness he had today and try to mimic it every match moving forward. If so he has the potential for great things.

157, this should be G’s weight moving forward. He looks comfortable here. Doesn’t look undersized much. He’s wrestling with a swag that a lot of other guys on this team need. I will be highly disappointed if they coaches choose to drop sheets down.

Sheets lost not because he was undersized, lost bc he got taken down twice early bc he didn’t look to come out focused and ready. Very poor wrestling. He got taken down at will last year so I’m not sure this is a weight thing.

Been watching osu wrestling since 1978 and that did not look anything like an Oklahoma state squad. Fix is the only star and his guy just stalled and stayed off his back. No one else wrestles with any aggression and we have no bad asses. Great crowd and not one wrestler outside of Young got the crowd excited. Even Coach Smith looked like he took the same Xanax that Gundy has been on !

Been watching osu wrestling since 1978 and that did not look anything like an Oklahoma state squad. Fix is the only star and his guy just stalled and stayed off his back. No one else wrestles with any aggression and we have no bad asses. Great crowd and not one wrestler outside of Young got the crowd excited. Even Coach Smith looked like he took the same Xanax that Gundy has been on !
I noticed the huge difference in the way each team coaches acted. Minnespta coaches behavior got them several calls. Almost like the Minnesota coach was reffing the match for awhile there.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
John said this would be the hardest year of his coaching career. I'm trying to keep that perspective and celebrate the victories. Great to see Carter and G's wins. What set them apart from the other guys is that they seemed to go into the match with a plan. G especially, he wrestled differently than I'm used to seeing him wrestle and it just frustrated his opponent into making mistakes. And last night's dual was filled with examples of other guys doing the same thing over and over - Surber's standing backpack thing is a perfect example. What are you doing up there, man. I'm just not seeing a lot of pre-match scouting or adapting within the match. If you know in advance what your opponent's strengths and weaknesses are, you can change your style and have a higher chance of success. Easier to say than do I'm sure.

As we just signed the #1 and #3 P4P wrestlers in the next class. That is the stuff that creates champions. It would not shock me if John worked out the wrestlers the day of the dual with Minnesota. Certainly the results of the dual are a dissapointment, but this was not going to be one of our better teams. Do not underestimate Minnesota as they always have wrestlers with great strength.

Reactions: JAY45
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT