ADVERTISEMENT

OSU vs. Minnesota is Gonna be Lit! 🔥

JAY45

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 19, 2002
This is jumping the gun a bit, yes…checking rankings today, and trying to flush other sports out of my mind 😊…this matchup looks legit!

125: #7 Mastro vs. #4 Patrick McKee - Fireworks right out of the gate. Mastro beat McKee last year…can he do it again? Huge statement opportunity.

133: #2 Daton Fix vs. #21 Aaron Nagao - one of the few mismatches in the dual.

141: #13 Carter Young vs. #3 Jake Bergeland - Uh Oh! Could OSU be down 1 match to 2 at this point?

149: #20 Victor Voinovich vs. #18 Michael Blockhus - huge early test for VV against a solid Upper Classman

157: #2 Brayton Lee vs. ????? #10 Kaden Gfeller OR (please, please, please!) Wyatt Sheets

165: #27 Andrew Sparks vs. ????? #16 Wyatt Sheets?

174: #4 Dustin Plott vs. #22 Bailee O'Reilly - another rare mismatch/must win for OSU

184: #12 Travis Wittlake vs. #10 Isaiah Salazar - another test and statement opportunity for this experiment

197: #30 Luke Surber vs. #28 Garrett Joles - See 149/184

285: #16 Konner Doucet vs. Unranked - weird to see Minnesota without a ranked HWT

Should be a barn burner!!

I think I'm jumping 100% on the wrestling bandwagon. Football is bad & basketball is even worse. If there is lack of effort in wrestling you & you alone get embarassed.

Reactions: bwel9339 and JAY45
This is jumping the gun a bit, yes…checking rankings today, and trying to flush other sports out of my mind 😊…this matchup looks legit!

125: #7 Mastro vs. #4 Patrick McKee - Fireworks right out of the gate. Mastro beat McKee last year…can he do it again? Huge statement opportunity.

141: #13 Carter Young vs. #3 Jake Bergeland - Uh Oh! Could OSU be down 1 match to 2 at this point?

149: #20 Victor Voinovich vs. #18 Michael Blockhus - huge early test for VV against a solid Upper Classman

157: #2 Brayton Lee vs. ????? #10 Kaden Gfeller OR (please, please, please!) Wyatt Sheets

174: #4 Dustin Plott vs. #22 Bailee O'Reilly - another rare mismatch/must win for OSU

184: #12 Travis Wittlake vs. #10 Isaiah Salazar - another test and statement opportunity for this experiment

285: #16 Konner Doucet vs. Unranked - weird to see Minnesota without a ranked HWT

We need G at 57 & Wyatt at 65 for this one. Going to be tight.
Think with Sheet at 65 can win 5 then need to pull off one of the other close ones.

Last edited:

Calling it now Carter rebounds and beats AA Bergland 5-4 on Sunday .

Is the Minnesota match this coming Sunday the 27th or Sunday Dec 4th?

Is the Minnesota match this coming Sunday the 27th or Sunday Dec 4th?
At the All Star classic Mckee pinned Terukina at 125. Byrd beat McGee 3 to 2 at 133. At 157 Lewan beat Andonian 3 to 1. Elam beat Warner 8 to 6 in overtime at 197. Kerkvliet beat Cassioppi 8 to 5 which is Kerkvliet's first win in 4 matches. 184 Brooks really looked quick and dominant and beat Keckeisen 12 to 8. I really was pulling for UNI but. Big 12 won with Alirez winning 4 to 2 in overtime over Mathews. Womens Shilson beat Prussin 8 to 4, only womens match that I had heard of any of the wrestlers. Carr beat Quincey Monday 2 to 1. The Monday's really improved in college based on my memory. O'Toole wins impressively 7 to 1. At 149 Gomez beat Sasso 10 to 9 with 4 takedowns in the 3rd period. Another disappointment Starocci beat Lewis 2 to 0.

Last edited:
Reactions: OSUMatFan
At the All Star classic Mckee pinned Terukina at 125. Byrd beat McGee 3 to 2 at 133. At 157 Lewan beat Andonian 3 to 1. Elam beat Warner 8 to 6 in overtime at 197. Kerkvliet beat Cassioppi 8 to 5 which is Kerkvliet's first win in 4 matches. 184 Brooks really looked quick and dominant and beat Keckeisen 12 to 8. I really was pulling for UNI but. Big 12 won with Alirez winning 4 to 2 in overtime over Mathews. Womens Shilson beat Prussin 8 to 4, only womens match that I had heard of any of the wrestlers. Carr beat Quincey Monday 2 to 1. The Monday's really improved in college based on my memory. O'Toole wins impressively 7 to 1. At 149 Gomez beat Sasso 10 to 9 with 4 takedowns in the 3rd period. Another disappointment Starocci beat Lewis 2 to 0.
Willie said the wrestlers got paid good $ by Flo this year because of NIL. The initial contract language was rejected by schools because it basically read as "pay for play". Flo reworded it as "pay to promote" as a work around. The Big Ten conference then rejected that language also, but some wrestlers had already signed contracts so they were allowed to compete.

I was wondering why Daton didn't wrestle. It's possible our compliance department didn't allow it. Obviously several other big schools did, including PSU, Iowa & OhioSt.

Willie said the wrestlers got paid good $ by Flo this year because of NIL. The initial contract language was rejected by schools because it basically read as "pay for play". Flo reworded it as "pay to promote" as a work around. The Big Ten conference then rejected that language also, but some wrestlers had already signed contracts so they were allowed to compete.

I was wondering why Daton didn't wrestle. It's possible our compliance department didn't allow it. Obviously several other big schools did, including PSU, Iowa & OhioSt.
Shocker. Other schools taking risks in gray areas to benefit the program and their student athletes while we are left behind.

Doubtful, I'm betting Daton is focused on end of season not a meaningless beginning of season match.

Coach Eggum's preview...Brayton Lee & Jake Bergeland are both expected to wrestle.

I think I'm jumping 100% on the wrestling bandwagon. Football is bad & basketball is even worse. If there is lack of effort in wrestling you & you alone get embarassed.
Well I was there & todays match sucked.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
Did you also predict that Fix, Sheets, & Surber (maybe Doucett too) would all have brain farts in their matches? :(
Nope . Sheets would have won if they wouldn’t have challenged good on there part. I think Fix is looking at the big picture needs to ride to beat RBY. Surber has some work to do.

Reactions: skylinepoke
What a mess. Who would have guess OSU would beat their 2 best guys and lose the dual.

Minny looked bigger and stronger at almost every weight. OSU was pretty well whipped through 5 of the 1st 6 matches.

Then Carter and G come up as huge bright spots.

By weight…

125: beginning to wonder if he’s gonna get there. McKee manhandled (a word you could use in several matches today) him.

133: Nothing to see here. Wish he could wrestle at 3 weights 😊

141: This was the CY people who were optimistic about thought he could be. Constantly in on the legs. Didn’t struggle on bottom. Now, how to keep it consistent.

149: an opportunity to make a statement by the wayside. That being said, it doesn’t seem like there is much to worry about here.

157: Peak G is fun to watch. Anything is possible and he is clearly swinging for the fences with nothing to lose.

165: 1st time Wyatt looked small at this weight. He got himself in some bad positions and couldn’t recover. Since he went before G, I left the match thinking for sure he needs to drop down. With G’s win, now what do you do?

174: Not as much energy as you would hope to see. Maybe it was the bad performances before and after.

184: Seemed like a huge size mismatch. Walked away feeling the experiment is not going to work. Salazar looked HUGE.

197: Bad loss, missed opportunity. We know Surber cares and will do everything he can to learn from it.

285: See 197. Doucet has a strong lower half, he looks like he needs to add upper body strength. The Minnesota kid looked bigger and stronger.

Hard to know what to make of it all, except OSU seems far from elite right now. I don’t know what the answers are at this point. Keep trying to develop and wait for help, I guess.

What a mess. Who would have guess OSU would beat their 2 best guys and lose the dual.

Minny looked bigger and stronger at almost every weight. OSU was pretty well whipped through 5 of the 1st 6 matches.

By weight…

125: beginning to wonder if he’s gonna get there. McKee manhandled (a word you could use in several matches today) him.

141: This was the CY people who were optimistic about thought he could be. Constantly in on the legs. Didn’t struggle on bottom. Now, how to keep it consistent.

149: an opportunity to make a statement by the wayside. That being said, it doesn’t seem like there is much to worry about here.

157: Peak G is fun to watch. Anything is possible and he is clearly swinging for the fences with nothing to lose.

165: 1st time Wyatt looked small at this weight. He got himself in some bad positions and couldn’t recover. Since he went before G, I left the match thinking for sure he needs to drop down. With G’s win, now what do you do?

174: Not as much energy as you would hope to see. Maybe it was the bad performances before and after.

184: Seemed like a huge size mismatch. Walked away feeling the experiment is not going to work. Salazar looked HUGE.

197: Bad loss, missed opportunity. We know Surber cares and will do everything he can to learn from it.

285: See 197. Doucet has a strong lower half, he looks like he needs to add upper body strength. The Minnesota kid looked bigger and stronger.

Hard to know what to make of it all, except OSU seems far from elite right now. I don’t know what the answers are at this point. Keep trying to develop and wait for help, I guess.
At 141, CY looked so good I thought he had to be wrestling a backup for Minny. The strength difference at 125, 149, & 184 didn't seem to give those kids a chance. 285 got that match stolen from him, he was getting a TD when stalemate was called,

Reactions: DPJ and JAY45
Nope . Sheets would have won if they wouldn’t have challenged good on there part. I think Fix is looking at the big picture needs to ride to beat RBY. Surber has some work to do.
You are correct on the delay over replay. I was going bonkers on giving the Minny guy time to catch his breath. He looked to be gassing and the stoppage gave him time to get composed.

You are correct on the delay over replay. I was going bonkers on giving the Minny guy time to catch his breath. He looked to be gassing and the stoppage gave him time to get composed.
Yep that kids ass was kicked without that long timeout

By weight…

Guy Doucet wrestled was 40 lbs lighter. One of their 97 pounders. That said they looked bigger at nearly every weight especially at 65, 74, 84, 41, and 49.

Nope . Sheets would have won if they wouldn’t have challenged good on their part. I think Fix is looking at the big picture needs to ride to beat RBY. Surber has some work to do.
Another way of saying it…if the ref had called it right in the first place, the Minnesota kid would have won outright fair and square.

Another way of saying it…if the ref had called it right in the first place, the Minnesota kid would have won outright fair and square.
No. The Minnesota wrestler was gassed . If they would have continued without the challenge timeout Sheets would have scored.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT