ADVERTISEMENT

Next years squad

Agreed. There will be a massive logjam 125 - 149
The way it looks now is Spratley at 125, 133 Sakamoto, Hughes, and McComas, 141 Jamison, and Williams 149 next year. I think the lineup could be 125 Spratley soph, 133 Hughes Fr., 141 Jamison soph. and 149 Williams soph. Sakamoto and McComas would redshirt. This does not include anyone new coming in. Two years from now I think the lineup may be 125 Spratley jun, 133 Sakamoto Fr, 141 Hughes soph, 149 Jamison jun or Williams jun. I think Blair is right that McComas is depth and Jamison or Williams will be depth. The guys who get beat out may decide to go in the portal but competition is a good thing. Also, if we can upgrade at a weight class we should. I think that Sakamoto and Hughes are best potential wrestlers in this 125 thru 149 weight classes.

The way it looks now is Spratley at 125, 133 Sakamoto, Hughes, and McComas, 141 Jamison, and Williams 149 next year. I think the lineup could be 125 Spratley soph, 133 Hughes Fr., 141 Jamison soph. and 149 Williams soph. Sakamoto and McComas would redshirt. This does not include anyone new coming in. Two years from now I think the lineup may be 125 Spratley jun, 133 Sakamoto Fr, 141 Hughes soph, 149 Jamison jun or Williams jun. I think Blair is right that McComas is depth and Jamison or Williams will be depth. The guys who get beat out may decide to go in the portal but competition is a good thing. Also, if we can upgrade at a weight class we should. I think that Sakamoto and Hughes are best potential wrestlers in this 125 thru 149 weight classes.
You’re forgetting Carter Young in your calculations

Jamison will never be depth

Jamison will never be depth
I have to admit I really want Cael Hughes in the lineup and the Cowboys need him to be special. Another bias is I think it is important for our future that Carroll becomes the wrestler we expected and wins the HWT position next year. Hughes should get the 133 spot next year if Sakamoto redshirts. You seem sure about Jamison, so I think our best lineup just based on my subjective thought is 133 Sakamoto, 141 Hughes, 149 Jamison. The rest of the lineup 2 years from now( just guessing and most likely wrong) would be Spratley 125, Lockett 157, Portal 165, 174 Thompson, 184 Robb, 197 Merrill and HWT Carroll. 157 and 165 would depend on how big Lockett gets. Over years figuring weights of a bunch of wrestlers is hard. But that lineup in 2 years could be powerful with development and continuing great recruiting.

I have to admit I really want Cael Hughes in the lineup and the Cowboys need him to be special. Another bias is I think it is important for our future that Carroll becomes the wrestler we expected and wins the HWT position next year. Hughes should get the 133 spot next year if Sakamoto redshirts. You seem sure about Jamison, so I think our best lineup just based on my subjective thought is 133 Sakamoto, 141 Hughes, 149 Jamison. The rest of the lineup 2 years from now( just guessing and most likely wrong) would be Spratley 125, Lockett 157, Portal 165, 174 Thompson, 184 Robb, 197 Merrill and HWT Carroll. 157 and 165 would depend on how big Lockett gets. Over years figuring weights of a bunch of wrestlers is hard. But that lineup in 2 years could be powerful with development and continuing great recruiting.
me likey

Did any of you guys watch Merrill at Doc Buchanan? He's huge, I don't know what his plan is, but he's going to have a fun summer getting back down to 97

Reactions: OAMC99
Won't Travis have eligibility 2 years from now?

That guy's not leaving the lineup short of injury or graduation.

Rest looks really good.

I did forget about Carter Young and if he and his knee keep getting better he could be in the lineup.
As long as he can get off bottom he has the potential to pick up where he left off before blowing out his knee, especially with taking a RS and working on his body. With all the refreshed excitement around this season its easy to forget that nice run Carter had at the end of last season before getting hurt at Big 12. I believe he should be considered an important piece at either 141 or 149 moving forward.

Coach has kind of hyped up Sakamoto, but we haven't seen him wrestle folk and there will be a big adjustment for him coming to the states and being in the college environment, taking classes etc. Its a big adjustment for your typical English speaking American freshman for that matter. I just personally don't see him coming in and making a big immediate impact, but I would loved to be proved wrong.

What really complicates things is the emergence of Teague Travis. He's only a SO with 2 more years of eligibility. Currently a little undersized for the weight but is holding his own. If he can bulk up a little more he could hold down that weight for 2 more years. As before 157 was looking to be a hole in the lineup where we might be potentially looking at bulking Williams for the weight. I think that's why Williams will get more chances to prove himself this season because we need to know what we have in him when looking towards the future.

As long as he can get off bottom he has the potential to pick up where he left off before blowing out his knee, especially with taking a RS and working on his body. With all the refreshed excitement around this season its easy to forget that nice run Carter had at the end of last season before getting hurt at Big 12. I believe he should be considered an important piece at either 141 or 149 moving forward.

Coach has kind of hyped up Sakamoto, but we haven't seen him wrestle folk and there will be a big adjustment for him coming to the states and being in the college environment, taking classes etc. Its a big adjustment for your typical English speaking American freshman for that matter. I just personally don't see him coming in and making a big immediate impact, but I would loved to be proved wrong.

What really complicates things is the emergence of Teague Travis. He's only a SO with 2 more years of eligibility. Currently a little undersized for the weight but is holding his own. If he can bulk up a little more he could hold down that weight for 2 more years. As before 157 was looking to be a hole in the lineup where we might be potentially looking at bulking Williams for the weight. I think that's why Williams will get more chances to prove himself this season because we need to know what we have in him when looking towards the future.
Yes, I also have forgotten Teague Travis and not seen him as an important piece. I think since he has been at Oklahoma State I have looked at him as depth and have not adjusted. All's he keeps doing is win. He has 2 big matches this weekend against Ryder Downing rated 11th and Cody Chittum rated 9th. I will be watching these matches closely. It is rare that Coach Smith says something so positive, like Teague Travis is the hardest worker on the squad. I would like to see him be an example of hard work move Teague to being a real good wrestler instead of just good.

Did any of you guys watch Merrill at Doc Buchanan? He's huge, I don't know what his plan is, but he's going to have a fun summer getting back down to 97
He looked very heavy but he had lots of easy weight to lose. He carried lots of soft weight and I think that he is short and will make 197. At 197 he will be a force after redshirting.

Merrill just won a pretty good size tourney in CA. Had 5 1st period pins, 1 in just 9 seconds.

Ethan Teague won the same tourney at 175 with 4 pins and a tech in the final. Beau Hickman lost by dec in the 144 final to Zepeda.

Reactions: AtownPoke and DPJ
45-50 lbs would've to come off of Cody . Not sure why he would do that if he can win at HWT
I don't believe in college that he can win big at HWT, no pun intended. He really had a hard match in the finals against the 8th rated HWT in high school beating Sahakian in overtime. Yes he could All American probably, but even with HWT's there is good weight and bad weight. We have some concerns about Carroll's size but he is taller than Merrill. Blair has indicated he was recruited 197 not HWT. Of course I could be wrong.

I don't believe in college that he can win big at HWT, no pun intended. He really had a hard match in the finals against the 8th rated HWT in high school beating Sahakian in overtime. Yes he could All American probably, but even with HWT's there is good weight and bad weight. We have some concerns about Carroll's size but he is taller than Merrill. Blair has indicated he was recruited 197 not HWT. Of course I could be wrong.
During the recruiting process he was saying he's a 197 . I hope he can be a 197 but I'm not sure if it's possible

Merrill is fat fat right now. I think a bigger piece is him being big enough to wrestle at heavy and allow his younger brother to compete/win at 215.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
Let’s just hope we can hold onto him. Imperative we don’t blow his redshirt this year. Luke and Plott both have a year left.

It wasn’t overtime and he controlled the whole match wasn’t as close as the score hwt match

Could Robb make 174 and let Brayden Thompson redshirt next year?
The other option would be Heeg. I haven’t seen results for him lately. A few Cowboys went to the Golden Norseman this weekend. Champs included: Sam Smith (all (3) 1st period pins), Cael Hughes (all (4) bonus point wins), Cutter Sheets (3 of 4 wins with bonus), Daniel Manibog (4 of 4 with bonus), Ben Mower (3 of 3 by 1st period pin), and Hayden Simpson (5 of 5 by fall with 4 in the 1st period). Two others entered, Shetley and Dopps, and both finished 4th.

Reactions: Harleycowboy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT