ADVERTISEMENT

Next year

I made my comment with Suriano's history in mind. I know most true freshmen struggle, but as MiccoMacey points out, there are certain things the successful ones do. I feel Suriano is one of them. In addition, a true freshman 125 is more likely to succeed that a true freshman 197. The two most recent PSU examples of a true freshman wrestling were Nico and Retherford. Nico finished 2nd, and Zain 5th, although Zain only lost to Steiber and Port that year. No shame in that. Those who have seen Suriano wrestle say that he very much reminds them of Nico in his methodical, technical style.

But as you say, nothing is written in stone. He could just as easily not even qualify. I would enjoy hearing more about why you believe Piccininni is better, as I don't know a heck of a lot about him. Fortunately, I guess we'll know on January 1st or thereabouts at the Scuffle.

I have witnessed Suriano and Fix wrestle a 20 minute match against each other. It was almost ridiculous how long that match went on and both kept going. Suriano ended up wining that match. He obviously is a great recruit but has not proven himself at the college level. Adding to this years recruiting class with a top HWT and Jacobe Smith would increase the quality of our class. Next year we need Fix and at least 1 other top 15 recruit. This year we have potential top guys coming in but we don't have 1 top 30 recruit this year. Moore, Sheets and Anderson are a level below Blue Chip. However each could develop into a National Champion with great coaching and very hard work. Of course I do recognize Sheets likely has some special genetics. His dad was a good recruit but Kenny Monday was the big recruit. They both ended up pretty good. I think I remember Sheets beat or tied Monday in a match their senior years. With the wrestling styles you have to adjust to the wrestler. I remember an Iowa wrestler who came who was fantastic on top and was a counter takedown guy. I don't know but maybe we tried to change him and he was an all American his sophomore year but not his last 2 years. It's like Weigel is good on top although not like this Iowa kid was, so Weigel needs to work on neutral and bottom position but not to the point it interferes with his top position. I would like to get to 35 next year. Which would have a positive effect on our recruiting.

Given your injuries, I thought you guys maximized what you got at Nationals this year. If you can find an AA caliber guy for 285 and limit the injury bug, you will be nip and tuck with tOSU and PSU next year for the title. Not sure I'd put Iowa on that level. As far as a complete team, I'd have to put you guys 1st.

Nick Reenan just got his release from Northwestern. I know at one put he was thought to be coming to OSU, is that still possible.

Make no mistake, I am not saying that Suriano doesn't have a shot at being better or beating Piccininni. I am saying, that at this point, I would rather have Pic on my team than Suriano to Wrestle tomorrow at Nationals. Lots of things can change that.

He is a stud and does kind of remind me of Mega...with more slick.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
I would put Picc ahead right now just because of the year in the room. They were similarly regarded coming out.
If we did not have Moore signed you would jump at Reenan at 84. Both at 84 could be a lot of scholarship money tied in that weight class. If Reenan is a 74 don't recruit Smith and jump at the chance for Reenan who wrestles the top 95's and beats them or gets nosed out by them. I think Reenan has more upside than Moore and in my opinion is better now. We may have gone to Moore when we did not get Reenan but I don't know that.

At the Oklahoma tournament NY Nick couldn't have looked anymore disappointed to have lost to Eddie. He didn't stop pushing for another takedown in the last period. He wanted that match badly. Definitely enjoyed seeing a competitiveness look like that on a true freshmans face

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
OSU schedule is brutal. These kids coming right in and having a ton of success is tough. Especially at 25 as that seems to be tough in the big 12. Guys are just more mature and battled tested. Not saying they won't be successful but for them to walk right in and dominate just ain't gonna happen!

Picc was 5x all state (3rd as an 8th grader) and a 4x NYS champ (only the second from Long Island to accomplish that) National champ as well handling Pletcher in the finals. As I said in a post on another thread and someone else eluded to it here, he absolutely HATES to lose doesn't matter who the opponent is. Anything less of a national title I would imagine is unacceptable to him

Any possibility Tavenello (rd of 12 two years ago) bails on tOSU. Unless Snyder ends up taking the $$$$, he'd be Snyder's caddy - wrestling in duals when Snyder's in Siberia and such and then stepping aside when the fun starts.

He'd be a good target for you guys

Any possibility Tavenello (rd of 12 two years ago) bails on tOSU. Unless Snyder ends up taking the $$$$, he'd be Snyder's caddy - wrestling in duals when Snyder's in Siberia and such and then stepping aside when the fun starts.

He'd be a good target for you guys
Snyder gets the money, it's just put in escrow or something similar. On FRL they brought up that tav has said he plans on sticking around. I would gladly take him though.

Won`t Crutchmer and Boyd both be seniors?

On FRL this morning they were talks my about rankings next year without the seniors. Got me thinking about OSU in the rankings without seniors.
125 nick p around 10
133 brock around 8-10 maybe higher
141 Heil first
149 Collica top 4-6
157 Smith top 6
165 Rogers top 6
174 Crutchmer top 6
184 Boyd top 4
197 Weigel top 8
285 ????

Last edited:
Snyder gets the money, it's just put in escrow or something similar. On FRL they brought up that tav has said he plans on sticking around. I would gladly take him though.
Snyder can do that with the prize money doled out by the USOC, but not with endorsements and such. We'll see - it'll depend on his success in Rio and, who knows, big Jake Varner is gunning for him so he has to make it to Rio first.

Snyder can do that with the prize money doled out by the USOC, but not with endorsements and such. We'll see - it'll depend on his success in Rio and, who knows, big Jake Varner is gunning for him so he has to make it to Rio first.
I believe Snyder wrestled at nationals this year in hopes of collecting a national title so that he could keep his options open with regard to receiving money. I believe it is more likely now that he takes the money/endorsements than if he hadn't won a title. Of course, he has to perform for this to even be a discussion.

Goergen of St. Cloud originally intended to transfer to the Gophers after a year(didn't do it), so he has considered D1 in the past.

Lehigh has a formidable backup behind Wessell if memory serves correct.

would be a great addition and will add depth to our line up but we have an all american candidate at 97 as well..

Nebraska wrestler with Oklahoma ties might be looking to come back closer to home.

That would be amazing.

I believed the kid would Be an AA and compete for a title after who he came back to beat in a rematch after regionals and the way he won state his jr year.

Fix is a cut above and he fits right in there with joe at the next level as far as Oklahoma high school wrestlers who project at the college level the last 3/4 years.

Now this smith from Muskogee has skills and athleticism but the lung timeouts he took at state were a huge turnoff. If he develops the work ethic he has huge upside imo.

I think the potential transfer has far more upside against elite competition

I AGREE WITH YOU ON THAT POINT BUT AFTER WATCHING BIG12'S AND NCAA I THINK WIGELS IS GOING TO CONTINUE TO IMPROVE AND DO GREAT THINGS FOR THE POKES IF HE CAN STAY HEALTHY...

I AGREE WITH YOU ON THAT POINT BUT AFTER WATCHING BIG12'S AND NCAA I THINK WIGELS IS GOING TO CONTINUE TO IMPROVE AND DO GREAT THINGS FOR THE POKES IF HE CAN STAY HEALTHY...

I agree with you as well and made an effort to avoid criticism of wigel in my excitement to see this kid return home.

I wonder if it's not out of the realm this kid could go at 84 either...

I agree with you as well and made an effort to avoid criticism of wigel in my excitement to see this kid return home.

I wonder if it's not out of the realm this kid could go at 84 either...
IF DEREK DOES COME BACK THAT WOULD BE GREAT BECAUSE HE'S A GOER. AND I WOULD PROBABLY SEE ONE OF THEM TRYING TO CUT IF THAT HAPPENS. I THINK WIGEL MORE THAN DEREK.

I am a big Preston fan and do see a big upside with him. White, if he has his stuff together is a high end AA/title contender immediately.

I don't think Preston quite has that potential but would love to be wrong.

I have no inside info, but I wouldn't be shocked if Gary Wayne tried to cut to 25. Gritty tough kid that just gets out horsed at 33.

gary wayne is better off as a key reserve...no way he making that cut, or even betting pic..simple as that

How good will penn st. be next yr? I'm starting to hate that team, even their uniforms.
125-Suriano
133-Cortez
141-Gulibon
149-Retherford
157-Nolf
165-Joseph OR Hall
174-Nickal
184-Rasheed OR McCutcheon
197-Cassar
Hwt-Nevills

125-Suriano - AA 5-8
133-Cortez - AA 5-8
141-Gulibon - Tough weight, should AA
149-Retherford - just a guess here, but Champ
157-Nolf - Finalist
165-Joseph OR Hall - eh
174-Nickal - Finalist
184-Rasheed OR McCutcheon - this will be interesting
197-Cassar
Hwt-Nevills - AA with many clearing out could be top 4

I see a tough team with 7 AAs making Penn State tough to knock off.

For us, I see...
125-AA around the same
133-possible finalist with many of the top guys clearing out
141-finalist
149-AA
157-healthy finalist possible
165-some serious competition to see who AAs in an Orange singlet
174-see 157
184-AA
197-who knows
285- let's hope Zs offspring can show up!

Man, I can't wait until next March!

I see a tough team with 7 AAs making Penn State tough to knock off.

For us, I see...
125-AA around the same
133-possible finalist with many of the top guys clearing out
141-finalist
149-AA
157-healthy finalist possible
165-some serious competition to see who AAs in an Orange singlet
174-see 157
184-AA
197-who knows
285- let's hope Zs offspring can show up!

Man, I can't wait until next March!

I see PSU with 5 AA's, 3 finalists and 2 champs.

I see OSU with 8 AA's, 1 finalists and 1 champ.

Obviously this will change is subject for debate but will sure be fun to watch unfold.

Obviously this will change is subject for debate but will sure be fun to watch unfold.
I think OSU has a good shot at 9 AAs and who knows about 285.

Nevills is a wild card at the moment: He has not been healthy enough so far to know what can be done. The same can be said for Stoll from Iowa.

Cassar is better than anyone knows at the moment, but again, we lose some points here, either way(PSU angle).

Suriano can be a factor, as can Cortez, but 33 will be LOADED next year.

Weight classes that will be loaded next year: 141(Heil still in command if he stays there), 165, and 184.

NOBODY wants 149 or 157 next year.

Is that total? I'm just taking a stab here, but I doubt you are guessing 10 AAs for Penn State? Either way, I'd bet they have more than 5 AAs.

Reactions: birdman1117
Is that total? I'm just taking a stab here, but I doubt you are guessing 10 AAs for Penn State? Either way, I'd bet they have more than 5 AAs.

5 total AA's... Of which 3 will likely be in the finals and 2 will be favored to win it all. I would expect PSU to improve throughout and have a few others but there are at this time to many questions for them at 125, 133, 141, 184 and 197, and HWT to predict more than 5.

If Hall takes a Olympic RS then you can add 165 as a question mark.

I just think they have more than 5 AA...I'd bet on that.

One thing about it, it's going to be a fine one!

5 total AA's... Of which 3 will likely be in the finals and 2 will be favored to win it all. I would expect PSU to improve throughout and have a few others but there are at this time to many questions for them at 125, 133, 141, 184 and 197, and HWT to predict more than 5.

If Hall takes a Olympic RS then you can add 165 as a question mark.

Cenzo Joseph is a fantastic talent. I don't see 165 as a "question mark", although of course he will be coming in for his first year after redshirting.

At this level, I don't really think Penn State, OR Oklahoma State or Ohio State have any "question marks"....the talent is there, what happens during the season of course hinges on a mixture of factors: Improvement, competition, health, confidence, etc...

I just hope Brock makes a full recovery. He is very fun to watch. You guys have some real talented youngsters. I think Ethan Anderson is a kid who could far outclass his high school ranking. He looked sucked down for him at 220 this year. He has the rare ability to attack legs for a big kid. Give him a redshirt year to grow and lift, and expect a very consistent contributor for 4 years.

I can see seven AA's for OSU, and one finalist/champion. And possibly more.

125 - I'll never pick a freshman to AA. Never. And even if he's looked good in individual matches, there's a huge difference in that versus going through the grind of a season and making weight all year long, especially at the end of the year. Not that he can't AA, but I can't predict that. Not without being accused of being oberebo.
133 - I'll say I worry about coming back from an ACL injury, but my goodness you couldn't have made more impact as a true freshman than he did. IF IF IF he recovers the way we hope he will, he's definitely in the AA discussion. But like 125, it's hard to predict what a full year of grind will do. There's a reason not a lot of freshmen AA. If I'm betting money right now, I say yes.
141 - Finalist/champion. Again.
149 - Top four AA, again. Possibly higher. And that's without knowing Sorenson or Mayes age/classification.
157 - Top four AA, easily. Would love to see how he grows into this role.
165 - If Chandler Rogers drops, I like him as an outside dark horse. But if I'm betting money right now, I'm saying no.
174 - Crutchmer should duplicate his efforts from two years ago, minimum.
184 - Nolan will be even better than this year.
197 - Preston came on at the end of the year. If he continues his growth, I like his chances. A lot.
285 - Can't predict an AA if you don't even have a real one on campus.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT